Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(05-21-2019, 10:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: It could be a number of different things.  

Glenn simply may not be comfortable taking snaps on the right side.  Hell, Whit talked about how hard it would be to move there after the Og/Fisher draft and he's arguably a HoF LT.  Not everyone can just reverse their technique like that.  

We also all saw Glenn struggle with outside speed rushers last year.  They could simply be kicking him inside to cover up that weakness.  

While Boling is technically sound, he's not the most physical drive blocker in the run game and sometimes gets blown off the LoS in pass protection.  Inside pressure kills Dalton, but he's shown he can step up and escape outside pressure if the pocket doesn't collapse.  The game plan may be to put the biggest uglies inside to ensure a good pocket for Dalton to work from.  If Jonah Williams is as advertised at LT and Glenn, Price, and Miller can secure the pocket, then they're free to use the TE's and RB's to help Hart/Boling at RT.

Well said man, well said.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 07:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I am starting to get a tad bit worried about Clint Boling situation, going forward.  Once you start having back issues, they never fully go away.  Then, he's also got the shoulder problems that put an early end to him in 2016.  I can't find any quick data on it, but I also seem to remember his ankle giving him trouble, somewhere in 2017.  

While none of those individual injuries have completely stopped him, the accumulative effect, compounded by the fact that he continued to play injured most of the time, those things take a toll and make a man age before his time.

Hope Boling is alright, these are valid concerns.

Glad we drafted Jordan. He can play LG for us and maybe even RG if we need him to.

(05-21-2019, 08:18 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: If my memory serves me, Glenn has played RT in the NFL before. He didn't look good there. 
I've seen good discussion on whether or not a lineman should be able to seamlessly transition to the other side or not. I don't have all of the pertinent information available to explain why, I just have the memory of Glenn not looking good on the right side. 

Never heard Glenn ever playing RT or even on the right side.

Boling has played RT before though.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 08:18 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: If my memory serves me, Glenn has played RT in the NFL before. He didn't look good there. 
I've seen good discussion on whether or not a lineman should be able to seamlessly transition to the other side or not. I don't have all of the pertinent information available to explain why, I just have the memory of Glenn not looking good on the right side. 

Memory or imagination? Virtually positive that Glenn has not played RT in the NFL. Not even sure that he ever played the position at the collegiate level. As far as moving one side to the other. You see it happen every single season at the collegiate level.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 06:04 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Memory or imagination? Virtually positive that Glenn has not played RT in the NFL. Not even sure that he ever played the position at the collegiate level. As far as moving one side to the other. You see it happen every single season at the collegiate level.

All true, some players can make the move and some say it is hard as Whatever said Whitworth said.
Reply/Quote
Just read Hobson's new article on Bengals.com and it's looks like Boling could be the odd man out as a starting guard. Hobson said he thinks Miller and Glenn will start at guard with Hart at RT and that Clint could come off the bench as a utility man which I cant see considering how much their paying him. I 'll post what Hobson said below.

"Glenn was a guard in college and he hasn’t been on the right side ever in the NFL. He’s a better left guard than right tackle. As we know, the coaches have a higher opinion of Hart than the fans. They believe he’s one of the five best. John Miller is the starting right guard. That looks set in stone. With incumbent left guard Clint Boling not practicing until training camp, he may be looking at a valuable utility role since he can play potentially all five spots, but he can for sure play both guards and tackles. Of course, things change and Seattle is still 107 days away. But that seems to be the rough draft. "
Reply/Quote
Turner wants a huge line. That means Price, Glenn and Miller on the inside, and Williams at LT. I think the only question left is does Clint play RT or is it Hart? Some say Boling is paid too much to be a backup, but not really when you consider he would be the 1st option in at all 5 spots....
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 11:53 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Just read Hobson's new article on Bengals.com and it's looks like Boling could be the odd man out as a starting guard. Hobson said he thinks Miller and Glenn will start at guard with Hart at RT and that Clint could come off the bench as a utility man which I cant see considering how much their paying him. I 'll post what Hobson said below.

"Glenn was a guard in college and he hasn’t been on the right side ever in the NFL. He’s a better left guard than right tackle. As we know, the coaches have a higher opinion of Hart than the fans. They believe he’s one of the five best. John Miller is the starting right guard. That looks set in stone. With incumbent left guard Clint Boling not practicing until training camp, he may be looking at a valuable utility role since he can play potentially all five spots, but he can for sure play both guards and tackles. Of course, things change and Seattle is still 107 days away. But that seems to be the rough draft. "

Have to keep Boling even if he is a utility backup, we need depth.

Also, would have to see a huge improvement from Hart to beat out Boling at RT IMO.

(05-23-2019, 08:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Turner wants a huge line. That means Price, Glenn and Miller on the inside, and Williams at LT. I think the only question left is does Clint play RT or is it Hart? Some say Boling is paid too much to be a backup, but not really when you consider he would be the 1st option in at all 5 spots....

Sounds like the plan even if Boling played better then Glenn last year, Glenn is healthy right now and he is bigger. Just wish Glenn would play with a meaner mentality, he was playing soft last year, hope Turner can get some nasty out of him. Doesn't matter how big you are if you play like a cupcake out there.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 08:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Turner wants a huge line. That means Price, Glenn and Miller on the inside, and Williams at LT. I think the only question left is does Clint play RT or is it Hart? Some say Boling is paid too much to be a backup, but not really when you consider he would be the 1st option in at all 5 spots....

Will Boling be on the roster is another intriguing question.
Reply/Quote

Clint has played both T spots for us over the years I believe.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to keep Boling even if he is a utility backup, we need depth.

Also, would have to see a huge improvement from Hart to beat out Boling at RT IMO.

Sounds like the plan even if Boling played better then Glenn last year, Glenn is healthy right now and he is bigger. Just wish Glenn would play with a meaner mentality, he was playing soft last year, hope Turner can get some nasty out of him. Doesn't matter how big you are if you play like a cupcake out there.

Boling as the first OL off the bench isn't a bad idea IMO, but it would pretty much guarantee he doesn't return to the Bengals once his contract is up after this season. I'd imagine he'd want to go to a team that would give him a starting job.

With the way the offseason has gone with the OL, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jordan take over at LG after Glenn's contract is up (or cut). This team would have one of the youngest OL in the NFL in 2020/2021:
Williams - 22/23
Jordan - 22/23
Price - 24/25
Miller - 26/27
Hart - 25/26 (or possibly newly drafted RT in 2020/2021)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Boling has seemed to me like a very reliable pro over the years, but if he's doesn't start his value off the bench at any position would be a very valuable thing. Between he and Hopkins and Price for that matter, we would really have good versatility. But it's still hard for me to believe that, if healthy, he isn't one of our five best linemen.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 02:15 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Will Boling be on the roster is another intriguing question.

I wonder if he's hurt or has some other issue that hasn't been reported?
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 04:01 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Boling has seemed to me like a very reliable pro over the years, but if he's doesn't start his value off the bench at any position would be a very valuable thing.  Between he and Hopkins and Price for that matter, we would really have good versatility. But it's still hard for me to believe that, if healthy, he isn't one of our five best linemen.

Boling is soo much better than Hart and Miller. IF he doesn't start and 1 of those 2 do, then there has to be some other issue.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 06:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Boling is soo much better than Hart and Miller. IF he doesn't start and 1 of those 2 do, then there has to be some other issue.

Boling is a fine football player, his talent and ability have never been in question.  The thing is, he's sustained some injuries, the type that take a chunk out of a man, those things add up and diminish one's ability to be physical.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Its OTAs a good time to rest up injuries even the ones we haven't heard of I'm sure Clint Boling who has been a stable part of the line will be playing when he's ready.

Now where he will play is the question. LG or RT?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 06:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if he's hurt or has some other issue that hasn't been reported?

Not sure and they seem to be very quiet about what is going on. I have looked everywhere and cannot find any reference to an injury or surgery since the back injury early last season. One thing about Boling is that he has been an above average pass protector but he has been average to slightly below average as a run blocker. He is not a real physical lineman rather a finesse player. I would not be shocked if they cut him at all. This regime is looking to run the ball hard and when they want to not when the defense allows it.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 10:24 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure and they seem to be very quiet about what is going on. I have looked everywhere and cannot find any reference to an injury or surgery since the back injury early last season. One thing about Boling is that he has been an above average pass protector but he has been average to slightly below average as a run blocker. He is not a real physical lineman rather a finesse player. I would not be shocked if they cut him at all. This regime is looking to run the ball hard and when they want to not when the defense allows it.

I think the part that would surprise me is he has been our best lineman for the past 2 years...but I think all bets are off this year. I could see Boling OR Glenn cut.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 10:24 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure and they seem to be very quiet about what is going on. I have looked everywhere and cannot find any reference to an injury or surgery since the back injury early last season. One thing about Boling is that he has been an above average pass protector but he has been average to slightly below average as a run blocker. He is not a real physical lineman rather a finesse player. I would not be shocked if they cut him at all. This regime is looking to run the ball hard and when they want to not when the defense allows it.

Those are some very valid points about both Clint Boling and the direction Taylor wants the offense to go. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 10:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the part that would surprise me is he has been our best lineman for the past 2 years...but I think all bets are off this year. I could see Boling OR Glenn cut.

I agree with what you are saying here but I think he is considered our best lineman because of consistency and overall rating which is inflated by his pass blocking grades. Very good pass blocker no doubt about it. Just not a very physical blocker in the running game which is what I believe this regime is looking for.

I know many talk about how great some of the lines have been in front of Andy Dalton over his years here and I would have to argue that with them. We have had some outstanding pass protecting lines no doubt about it. What we have not EVER had since Dalton has been here is a dominant run blocking line. Can you imagine the damage a guy like Joe Mixon would be able to do with a dominant run blocking line? Just think of a dominant run blocking line and Joe Mixon and what that would open up in the play action passing game when you have guys like Green, Boyd, and Eifert in the formation.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:17 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I agree with what you are saying here but I think he is considered our best lineman because of consistency and overall rating which is inflated by his pass blocking grades. Very good pass blocker no doubt about it. Just not a very physical blocker in the running game which is what I believe this regime is looking for.

I know many talk about how great some of the lines have been in front of Andy Dalton over his years here and I would have to argue that with them. We have had some outstanding pass protecting lines no doubt about it. What we have not EVER had since Dalton has been here is a dominant run blocking line. Can you imagine the damage a guy like Joe Mixon would be able to do with a dominant run blocking line? Just think of a dominant run blocking line and Joe Mixon and what that would open up in the play action passing game when you have guys like Green, Boyd, and Eifert in the formation.

I think fixing the line and letting Mixon run wild is our fastest path towards competing on offense.
Reply/Quote