Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(06-01-2019, 10:35 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The thought of it shocks me. I dont see the talent or depth on our roster that would let us cut a proven NFL OL. Especially one capable of playing T and with actual NFL experience playing T.

T Jonah Hart
G Glenn Miller Boling MJ
C Price Hopkins

Thats only 8. We could go up to 10 but we need to really love Redmond Westerman and/or Taylor. Maybe Taylor or MJ provide some tackle depth but Taylor has been hurt and is basically a rookie and MJ is a rookie. And the starter is a rookie. No way should we do that

This.

We are not desperate for cap space, and we are paper thin at O-line.
Reply/Quote
Nice article about OL assistant, Ben Martin.

https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-builds-staff-outside-the-box?fbclid=IwAR3jY26dor1rqBSQWqtTnRHdKKvuKigIUgN3pVld4utn4uks-ll-IPJ1sOo
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We need all the (aforementioned) tackles to stay. Jonah is liable to hit the rookie wall and get injured if the team gets too trixy with the o lline. Hopefully their smartvand manage his first season proactively
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 11:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nice article about OL assistant, Ben Martin.

https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-builds-staff-outside-the-box?fbclid=IwAR3jY26dor1rqBSQWqtTnRHdKKvuKigIUgN3pVld4utn4uks-ll-IPJ1sOo
Agreed. I read that earlier today and thought the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 03:20 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Agreed. I read that earlier today and thought the same thing.

Some of these articles get dismissed simply as "fluff" pieces, but the more I read, the more I understand Zac Taylor's way of thinking and decision making.  Back during the assistant coach hiring process, many looked at the Jim Turner and subsequent Ben Martin hiring as Taylor only being able to get whoever was "left over" to take the position.  Now, it seems like that reasoning couldn't be further from the truth.  The more I read and learn about Taylor's choices of assistants, it becomes more evident that each and every one was selected with specific purposes in mind.  Learning about Martin's history, and how he was teaching the philosophy of RPO's, before anyone else was running them, is very telling about his ability to visualize as a football coach.  I'm glad that we have him, and I firmly believe that the OL is going to be a pleasant surprise this season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Has anyone mentioned that (G) Rod Taylor tore his ACL already? I was just mentioning camp injuries and noticed it.

It seems to be bad information..

**Written today (6.1.2019) and in the article it states injuries acquired this offseason....

https://www.dailypress.com/sd-sp-pfd-acl-annual-training-camp-nfl-0801-story.html
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 06:40 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Has anyone mentioned that  (G) Rod Taylor tore his ACL already?  I was just mentioning camp injuries and noticed it.

**Written today (6.1.2019) and in the article it states injuries acquired this offseason....

https://www.dailypress.com/sd-sp-pfd-acl-annual-training-camp-nfl-0801-story.html

Actually, the story is dated August 1, 2018... Just click link and look near the top of the article, right below the picture.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ha.

At the top of the article it is dated 6.1.2019... in the grey margin above the title
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 06:52 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Ha.

At the top of the article it is dated 6.1.2019... in the grey margin above the title

I saw that, too.  Kind of odd for them to revive an article from 10 months ago.  I didn't read through the entire article, to see if they added any new stuff, to warrant it being "new" again.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sketchy reporting in my opinion. Thanks for pointing out the 2nd date which makes sense. I should have caught it.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 03:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some of these articles get dismissed simply as "fluff" pieces, but the more I read, the more I understand Zac Taylor's way of thinking and decision making.  Back during the assistant coach hiring process, many looked at the Jim Turner and subsequent Ben Martin hiring as Taylor only being able to get whoever was "left over" to take the position.  Now, it seems like that reasoning couldn't be further from the truth.  The more I read and learn about Taylor's choices of assistants, it becomes more evident that each and every one was selected with specific purposes in mind.  Learning about Martin's history, and how he was teaching the philosophy of RPO's, before anyone else was running them, is very telling about his ability to visualize as a football coach.  I'm glad that we have him, and I firmly believe that the OL is going to be a pleasant surprise this season.

Oh the offensive coaches definitely have a theme to them. They all have experience around Kubiak/Shanahan/Gruden and a specific version of the west coast offense. Imo, Dalton will be a great fit for that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 08:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Like Shake has been saying, don't be surprised if Glenn or Boling are cut. IF Glenn doesn't step in at Guard and play well, they'll go with Boling.

People think Glenn is power because of his size, but he's mainly a finesse guy.

We'll see. People thought I was dead wrong about Hart starting at RT, but Hobson pretty much confirmed it, saying "Hart is the RT as much as AJ Green is a starting WR and Zac Taylor is the coach".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 01:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We'll see. People thought I was dead wrong about Hart starting at RT, but Hobson pretty much confirmed it, saying "Hart is the RT as much as AJ Green is a starting WR and Zac Taylor is the coach".

I really don't get that, "Hart is the RT" crap. Yes they signed him to 3yrs, but those spots have to be earned in TC. Just Hobson nonsense I guess but still, not very wise to assume based on his past performance. Hopefully these coaches pull the talent out of him.

Reply/Quote
Preseason should tell us more. Right now I kind of expect we will see a lot of Sample lined up on the right side next to Hart plus a lot of power blocking schemes.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 02:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I really don't get that, "Hart is the RT" crap. Yes they signed him to 3yrs, but those spots have to be earned in TC. Just Hobson nonsense I guess but still, not very wise to assume based on his past performance. Hopefully these coaches pull the talent out of him.

Not sure why you see it as crap. I, like most others, have been down on Hart. However, while I have been down on him I have also found in researching him that there is also plenty with him that could end up being really good.

Everything I have read about him speaks of his dominance as a run blocker. Talks about NFL power in run blocking. NFL body and lower body power. So this all would seem to fit with what this new regime is looking to have as an identity.

In research it has shown the same weaknesses that many have talked about on these boards and that has been in pass protection. So yes that is consistent with his collegiate weaknesses. So how do you either correct or mask those issues?

Well, hopefully you can coach up issues if they are technique related and work to improve his pass blocking fundamentals which I am sure they are going to work on. Other things you can do are run a scheme that cater to strengths. Having power running as an identity opens up the play action passing game which helps to protect players that have weaknesses in pass protection.

Myself I have decided to be in let's see what this staff doe mode before deciding that I know better than they do.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 06:40 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Has anyone mentioned that  (G) Rod Taylor tore his ACL already?  I was just mentioning camp injuries and noticed it.

That injury occurred extremely early last season not anytime recently.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 03:02 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure why you see it as crap. I, like most others, have been down on Hart. However, while I have been down on him I have also found in researching him that there is also plenty with him that could end up being really good.

Everything I have read about him speaks of his dominance as a run blocker. Talks about NFL power in run blocking. NFL body and lower body power. So this all would seem to fit with what this new regime is looking to have as an identity.

In research it has shown the same weaknesses that many have talked about on these boards and that has been in pass protection. So yes that is consistent with his collegiate weaknesses. So how do you either correct or mask those issues?

Well, hopefully you can coach up issues if they are technique related and work to improve his pass blocking fundamentals which I am sure they are going to work on. Other things you can do are run a scheme that cater to strengths. Having power running as an identity opens up the play action passing game which helps to protect players that have weaknesses in pass protection.

Myself I have decided to be in let's see what this staff doe mode before deciding that I know better than they do.

We've all had a reason to be down on Hart. I was referring to listing him as the right tackle without even attending TC. And yes, I believe the coaches can and will bring out the best in him. However, we can't go back to the Marvin era where players started based on seniority rather than earning the spot. 

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 03:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We've all had a reason to be down on Hart. I was referring to listing him as the right tackle without even attending TC. And yes, I believe the coaches can and will bring out the best in him. However, we can't go back to the Marvin era where players started based on seniority rather than earning the spot. 

I agree no one should be penciled in but it also seems that those in NFL circles sure seem to see more in Hart than we as fans do.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 04:00 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I agree no one should be penciled in but it also seems that those in NFL circles sure seem to see more in Hart than we as fans do.

Maybe so. Here's to hoping they make him the player he is supposed to be. Cheers

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 02:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I really don't get that, "Hart is the RT" crap. Yes they signed him to 3yrs, but those spots have to be earned in TC. Just Hobson nonsense I guess but still, not very wise to assume based on his past performance. Hopefully these coaches pull the talent out of him.

We all love to pick on Hobson for his homerism, but he's usually pretty spot on with predictions. He's just a mouthpiece for the team. Besides, the coaches love Hart and that's probably why Hobs views him as a lock. 

My opinion of Hart is that he's probably a weak link for the line. That said, his strength is run blocking and that's what Taylor wants to emphasize. His penalties were an anomaly last season. I think they'll come back down. Did we overpay him? Yes. Can he be decent? Maybe. Would it be better to throw Boling there with no practice? I doubt it. 

We could've been more active in free agency, but as our line stands, Hart is probably the best option at RT. From what I've heard, Boling won't even be available to practice during TC, so who else could compete? 
Reply/Quote