Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals looking to sign veteran backup QB.
(05-05-2020, 10:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Of those, I would take McCown...but why?  I don't think anyone needs to teach Burrow the game.  And it would take a roster spot from a position player.  

Would it? I’m sure they’d only roll with 2 QB’s. Finley or Dolegala can be cut, and the other moves to PS.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 10:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  But, no surprise we waste money on a back up QB versus saving money to invest in say someone like Peters or Clowney.

But if for league minimum with no incentives, I would not be opposed. Anything over $800K stinks.

Why do you keep bringing up Clowney?  There ain't no damn way the Bengals are paying him 17 mil, nor should they.

I'm right there with you on Peters, but no way on Clowney.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I am shocked at the number of people who think a #2 QB is useless. We can sign a decent vet for peanuts that would be more able to win games than Finley. And just one win could be the difference between making the postseason or not.
Reply/Quote
Flacco all day with the experience and knowledge he would be great in the QB room for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 01:59 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: None of the above. All three of those names are horrible.

Well there's a reason why these guys are still available...

Out of all available, I'd like someone who has had some success as a starter.
So definitely not Glennon.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
McCown is the guy I'd go with. He has a reputation as a mentor and that is what we need. Burrow's development is everything.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 10:53 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: It seems like some of you guys think that the back-up QB should be a potential All-pro QB.  Bengals had Finley as a back-up for goodness sake last year!  Just about any vet would be better than him.  I'm not going to complain if they bring whomever in.  I will probably have a hissy fit if they keep Finley at #2.

Agree. some posts are reverse in their logic for sure.. 

As a Coach I wanted to better my team not make it worse.. the idea that we should not have a quality BACKUP QB makes no sense.. you allot $$ for backups and hope to find the best you can for that amount..... I guess we need to just stop looking for backups in all positions.. makes no sense at all

Also just because Burrow might go down does not mean teams stop playing.. teams and players and coaches continue to play and improve their game as do Coaches.. You want to hopefully have a good to decent backup QB to help you do that.  

This idea of "team tanking" goes no where. all it does is breed a losing culture.. Look at Miami.. that was said last year.. they made moves to better their roster in their eyes for the future.. that is different than "tanking" and they actually played well at end of year and the culture systems to have changed down there..  
Reply/Quote
We can't tank if we gave already won a few games. What if we are 6-4 when Burrow gets injured for just 2-3 games.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 01:07 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I'd much rather pay an OL/DL.

Curious, what OL/DL do you have your eyes on for >2 mil per?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 08:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If we brought Flacco in and Burrow struggles out of the gate, it would start an immediate QB controversy. Add to that he has a crap attitude, and that's a big no for me. Work a deal with Miami and get Fitzy.

I know people love backup QBs but I can't imagine anyone clamoring to get a QB as washed up and easily detested as Flacco in there over Burrow. 

It seems more likely "super upside" Dolegala has more QB controversy potential than someone we know and hate. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We can't tank if we gave already won a few games. What if we are 6-4 when Burrow gets injured for just 2-3 games.

If we actually tank after taking Burrow I'd fully support him demanding a trade.  When the going gets tough we surrender.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 12:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know people love backup QBs but I can't imagine anyone clamoring to get a QB as washed up and easily detested as Flacco in there over Burrow. 

It seems more likely "super upside" Dolegala has more QB controversy potential than someone we know and hate. 

Flacco would be a bad choice all the way around unless he has gotten over his D.o.G. and is ready to admit he's now strictly a backup.  Disgruntled and pouty doesn't lend itself very well to mentoring.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 08:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If we brought Flacco in and Burrow struggles out of the gate, it would start an immediate QB controversy. Add to that he has a crap attitude, and that's a big no for me. Work a deal with Miami and get Fitzy.

Zero chance of a QB controversy.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 12:34 PM)McC Wrote: Flacco would be a bad choice all the way around unless he has gotten over his D.o.G. and is ready to admit he's now strictly a backup.  Disgruntled and pouty doesn't lend itself very well to mentoring.

Im not saying sign Flacco but Denver and Cincinnati signings are apples to oranges.. He actually signed with Denver to be a starter.. if he signs with Cincinnati it is to be a backup. 

This is no different than Dalton to Dallas..   Dalton knew he was signing as a backup.. im sure nothing was said like Andy you are going to compete with Dak for the position.. if Flacco is called.. that will be the same conversation... 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 10:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: versus saving money to invest in say someone like Peters or Clowney.

Please, stop.

Sincerely,
Everybody
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 10:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  But, no surprise we waste money on a back up QB versus saving money to invest in say someone like Peters or Clowney.

But if for league minimum with no incentives, I would not be opposed. Anything over $800K stinks.

Signing a backup QB has pretty much zero impact on signing Peters or Clowney.. that pot of $$$$ is nothing compared to backup $... lets be realistic here..
Reply/Quote
Should of got Shea Patterson when we had the chance
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: McCown is the guy I'd go with.  He has a reputation as a mentor and that is what we need. Burrow's development is everything.

Excuse me, sir, but this looks for all the world like a straight answer.  What gives?

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 11:50 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Flacco all day with the experience and knowledge he would be great in the QB room for Burrow.

Tell Lamar that. Flacco was throwing hissy fits from the time he was benched...
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 12:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know people love backup QBs but I can't imagine anyone clamoring to get a QB as washed up and easily detested as Flacco in there over Burrow. 

Now you've been around this board to know better than that..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote