Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals looking to sign veteran backup QB.
I think it's cluck bait. Burrow is going to play and start every game to get the experience he needs, so if he goes down for a bit, it's not like we are perennial contenders to begin with. Put the money elsewhere for now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 11:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am shocked at the number of people who think a #2 QB is useless. We can sign a decent vet for peanuts that would be more able to win games than Finley. And just one win could be the difference between making the postseason or not.

Key word here Fred. Contenders.  

Do you consider this team a contender right now? 

If not, then there is no point at this time to spend money on a back up when we still have needs elsewhere.

If yes, then you would have a point. 

We are not proven contenders yet. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 12:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Curious, what OL/DL do you have your eyes on for >2 mil per?

What makes you think these qbs would sign for 2 mil or less? 

Do you object to using the extra money to lock up Mixon or bring in a vet OL? 
Reply/Quote
DeShone Kizer is now a free agent. Former second round pick Tongue
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 02:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What if we are 6-4 when he gets hurt and he will only miss 3 or 4 games?

Some of these guys will still be on the couch next year if that happens. So why not sign them then? 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 06:43 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: DeShone Kizer is now a free agent. Former second round pick Tongue

That is a name I would actually consider. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 06:51 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is a name I would actually consider. 

Was the Browns starter for 15 of the 16 games lost in their magical perfect season.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 06:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What makes you think these qbs would sign for 2 mil or less? 

you talking peanuts to $$ in extending Mixon or bring in a 8 to 10 million a good OL... a backup QB for 1 year is not going to matter at all to what you are comparing it to.. We could use a backup.. really why is this so shocking to people..
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 07:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: you talking peanuts to $$ in extending Mixon or bring in a 8 to 10 million a good OL... a backup QB for 1 year is not going to matter at all to what you are comparing it to.. We could use a backup.. really why is this so shocking to people..

The point is we are not contenders so why do we need one so bad? Everything can't be solved in one year so why are you trying to belittle their efforts thus far? Same with Fred. Complain complain complain.

We can't carry over money this year so why not use that peanut money to sign a better OL? 

We had an unprecedented FA period, followed up with a good draft. Let it go and let us enjoy this for now. Next year we can talk about the need for a viable back up.
Reply/Quote
I see more value in a vet backup who can play the half-mentor/half-coffee boy role than a backup who can come off the bench and win games. Kitna and Gradkowski were both really good backups in that regard.  

Matt Moore and Chad Henne seem like they'd be good options. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 05:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe it is the other way around.

Moore will never play for Zac because of their time together in Miami.

That’s quite a stretch. 1.) Taylor seems pretty well liked. 2.) Moore is without a job, if we offer him one I guarantee he’ll accept.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 07:26 PM)McC Wrote: Was the Browns starter for 15 of the 16 games lost in their magical perfect season.

True, but that franchise is just a disaster no matter who they have playing.

He is younger then the other options, may still have some upside and can certainly tell Joe what not to do.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
DeShone Kizer? Hell no! He might be even worse than Finley.

11 TD to 24 INT 58.9 rating

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 07:26 PM)McC Wrote: Was the Browns starter for 15 of the 16 games lost in their magical perfect season.

Omg a 0-15 record. He's perfect. Just not in the way you'd like.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 06:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What makes you think these qbs would sign for 2 mil or less? 

I absolutely believe that one of those guys will sign in the $2M range.  They likely aren't ready to retire, and clipboard guy is the easiest well paying job in the NFL.  I don't think that anyone around here would object to using some money to extend Joe, or bring in some security on OL, but the fact remains that the Bengals need a confident backup, in the unlikely event that Joe get dinged up or needs to be sat down for a game or a half.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Veteran QBs help rookie QBs develop. Why we are so geared up to have Burrow start every game for the next 15 years but think spending 2 million on a mentor veteran QB to start him off on an enlightened foot is a waste is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
I like Matt Moore or McCown the most out of the availables. Flacco's attitude I saw last year I did not care for.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 08:25 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: True, but that franchise is just a disaster no matter who they have playing.

He is younger then the other options, may still have some upside and can certainly tell Joe what not to do.

My questions would be...did he ever look like he could play and were the 15 losses his fault?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 08:39 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Omg a 0-15 record. He's perfect. Just not in the way you'd like.

And they say nobody's perfect.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 09:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Matt Moore or McCown the most out of the availables. Flacco's attitude I saw last year I did not care for.

He still saw himself as a starter last year.  It would come down to what his current attitude is.  He's not totally without skill.

Reply/Quote