Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals looking to sign veteran backup QB.
(05-05-2020, 08:25 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: True, but that franchise is just a disaster no matter who they have playing.

He is younger then the other options, may still have some upside and can certainly tell Joe what not to do.

Mentoring would be easy for him--Watch my what I did on my tape...and don't do any of it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 10:28 PM)McC Wrote: My questions would be...did he ever look like he could play and were the 15 losses his fault?

11 TD to 22 INT is just horrendous. Idc how bad the team was. And then he threw 2 more in GB in very limited relief duty. He’s awful.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 10:34 PM)McC Wrote: Mentoring would be easy for him--Watch my what I did on my tape...and don't do any of it.

Our HC and QBs coach have plenty of bad tape to share. No need to bring in more. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 11:50 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Flacco all day with the experience and knowledge he would be great in the QB room for Burrow.

Absolutely not with his piss poor attitude. PASS!
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 01:16 PM)seahawkscheat Wrote: Should of got Shea Patterson when we had the chance

I wouldn't mind trading for Nate Sudfeld. Big Tall guy who can really throw the ball and would be used to our offense (played a lot of spread at IU). Just saw the injury to Sudfeld that stinks !
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  If Burrow has problems with having a veteran QB back up then he is not going to be a leader in the NFL.

It isn't so much that he may have problems, but I like the idea of a younger team with a young leader.  And I honestly don't think a Flacco, with zero mobility, could teach Burrow anything in this offense.  I think Zac Taylor is the veteran QB.  

And I will post a separate thread about Andrew Luck's rookie season as a potential parallel to Burrow's, but Luck was drafted #1, given the reigns, and his backup was Drew Stanton, a 5 year vet with 12 starts in that timeframe.  Do you think he was really going to teach Luck anything?

I like McCown, and I guess he is supposed to be a lot like a Jordan Palmer, can say it but can't do it, but I am fine letting Dolegala and Finley compete as backups and try to develop one of them (Dolegala...I think Finley is a dud).  
Reply/Quote
Why is everyone just talking about what burrow could learn from a vet? That is not as important as having a competent back up who could win a game for us.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 06:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Some of these guys will still be on the couch next year if that happens. So why not sign them then? 

Because they could not learn our offense and get comfortable with our receivers in less than a week.

And what happens if burrow gets injured in the first quarter of a crucial game?
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why is everyone just talking about what burrow could learn from a vet? That is not as important as having a competent back up who could win a game for us.

On a seasoned team ready to make deep playoff run, sure. On the 2020 Bengals, not so much.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: On a seasoned team ready to make deep playoff run, sure. On the 2020 Bengals, not so much.

I am expecting us to contend for the playoffs this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: On a seasoned team ready to make deep playoff run, sure. On the 2020 Bengals, not so much.

Totally agree.

Better to spend the money elsewhere. Lots of better options that will improve team in log run.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am expecting us to contend for the playoffs this year.

I'd love it if you're right ! I'm just not setting my sights that high this season, all things considered.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 10:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Our HC and QBs coach have plenty of bad tape to share. No need to bring in more. 

Oh, I don't know.  0-15 is a special level of sukking seldom achieved by anyone.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
ZT pretty much put this to bed today. Said Bengals are set at QB, are not looking to bring in a vet back-up.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 12:34 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: ZT pretty much put this to bed today. Said Bengals are set at QB, are not looking to bring in a vet back-up.

Then I sure hope Dolegala beats out Finley for backup to Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 12:49 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Then I sure hope Dolegala beats out Finley for backup to Burrow.

Same, Finley isn't the answer even as a backup.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 12:34 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: ZT pretty much put this to bed today. Said Bengals are set at QB, are not looking to bring in a vet back-up.

*Translation*

“I traded up for, and wasted, a 4th round pick on Ryan Finley so he’s our backup QB”

I don’t like this.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 10:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: *Translation*

“I traded up for, and wasted, a 4th round pick on Ryan Finley so he’s our backup QB”

I don’t like this.

I'd have an easier time shrugging this off if we didn't spend so much time patting ZT on the back because he'd never "stubbornly stick with his guys" like Marvin did.

Putting Burrow in a QB room that has a grand total of 3 NFL starts seems a little unwise, but thems the breaks. 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am expecting us to contend for the playoffs this year.

Same. Key word is "contend", but yeah...I think people always overestimate how long it takes to turn a team around. This isn't baseball, where a rebuild takes 5-6 years. Mike dumped a ton of money into free agency this year, and we filled a ton of holes in free agency. Not to mention the shiny new franchise QB.

We should be in contention for a playoff spot this year. I expect 7-9 at a bare minimum, and 10-6 if things go well.

Anything below 7-9 means something really went wrong, IMO.

(05-08-2020, 10:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: *Translation*

I don’t like this.

Although it's hard telling (with our organizational structure) who wanted Finley, that's pretty much the message I'm getting by them not looking for a vet QB to sit behind Burrow. That's pretty much football 101. Teams with rookie QB's almost always have an experienced guy behind them. There's also the small matter of Finley being doo doo butter.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
For those saying Flacco won't take a backup spot, he has already stated publicly that he knows his remaining days in the NFL are as a backup.

With that said, it won't be anytime soon, as he recently had another neck surgery and it is rumored he won't be ready to go before the start of the season.
Reply/Quote