Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals looking to sign veteran backup QB.

Flacco on the Bengals would be strange
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 12:57 AM)Trademark Wrote:
I hope not glennon
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd much rather pay an OL/DL.

If Burrow goes down, I'd rather tank & get a high pick (that OT from Oregon, Chase, Parsons, DE from Miami).
Reply/Quote
I guess it will all depend on the $$$
Reply/Quote
Well out of those names I'd probably like McCown the most I reckon. Not so sure about Joe's attitude, but then again he probably did expect to start most of last year. And Glennon is meh. Career backup kind of guy. He's got more starts than I thought. Started 22 games. Honestly I've never found him to be an awful QB. Flacco is the only winner out of the group though. The other two got a ton of losses on their belt.
Reply/Quote
None of the above. All three of those names are horrible.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 01:07 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I'd much rather pay an OL/DL.

If Burrow goes down, I'd rather tank & get a high pick (that OT from Oregon, Chase, Parsons, DE from Miami).

Signing a vet backup QB is not going to prohibit them from adding players at other positions. Matt Moore only made a little over 1m last season in KC for example.

And speaking of Moore, I’m starting to wonder if Taylor just isn’t big on him? You’d think he’d be a prime candidate considering their time together in Miami.

Reply/Quote
I’m glad the “we’re rolling with the guys we have” stuff turned out to be bs. There is just no good reason to not add some experience to that QB room.

Reply/Quote
This Twitter account is just reaching after Tyler Dragon mentioned that Ryan Finley is the only QB on the roster with starting experience and they could look to sign a veteran but it wasn't necessary.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We have like 12 QB coaches on the the staff. We don't need a veteran QB to help teach the young guy. And we traded up for the the smartest QB in the draft last year who is under contract to hold a clipboard for 3 more years at a very reasonable price. Let the coaches do what they are paid for and mold the young QB room into what they want it to be.

I don't buy this rumor
Reply/Quote
I heard you could get Andy Dalton for $3 million....

Mellow
Reply/Quote
Orf course we could use a better QB as a backup than what we have.. Hope we sign one.
Reply/Quote
If we brought Flacco in and Burrow struggles out of the gate, it would start an immediate QB controversy. Add to that he has a crap attitude, and that's a big no for me. Work a deal with Miami and get Fitzy.
Reply/Quote
I just don't see them going into a season with Finely if something were to happen to keep JB off the field unless the plan is to tank another season and have the top picks again. The stands (if there's even a season at all) would be all but completely empty so the question that would have to be answered would be...Who's going to pay players salaries? With few paying customers and TV revenue in the shitter the money would have to come from somewhere and I kind of doubt the general public would stand for a taxpayer bailout for the Bengals or any other team for that matter.  I'm not sure what is going to happen, but some of the predictions for the future are not looking good. If Covid19 picks back up and starts killing a lot more people than anyone expects we ain't gonna see much football for a while. It's not AS IF any city can completely subsidize a pro football team if a 3rd of the population is out of work or worse, dead or dying. 
To use a popular phrase, In these uncertain times...anything is possible I guess. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Agree that Flacco would be strange to see in stripes. Just like James Harrison was. Out of those names he's by far got the strongest knowledge of 'winning' to pass on to Burrow if you believe in that. $$$ would make it unlikely though.

I think of those names, McCown would be fine. Guy who is used to the role, can fill in and do ok if needs be, and seems a decent character type which would help Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Flacco was disgruntled in Denver. I don't want him on this Bengals team. Pass!
Reply/Quote

McCown would be useful. The other two are washed up wastes of salary cap. The team is still rebuilding. Seems foolish to burn 3-5 million on a backup QB that does not move the needle.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

But, no surprise we waste money on a back up QB versus saving money to invest in say someone like Peters or Clowney.

But if for league minimum with no incentives, I would not be opposed. Anything over $800K stinks.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Of those, I would take McCown...but why?  I don't think anyone needs to teach Burrow the game.  And it would take a roster spot from a position player.  
Reply/Quote
It seems like some of you guys think that the back-up QB should be a potential All-pro QB. Bengals had Finley as a back-up for goodness sake last year! Just about any vet would be better than him. I'm not going to complain if they bring whomever in. I will probably have a hissy fit if they keep Finley at #2.
Reply/Quote