Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign Trae Waynes
(03-17-2020, 06:47 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: This spells end for DKP but it’s not a huge upgrade bc he’s the same in coverage gets beat a lot on double moves maybe he’s a better tackler but that’s about it. It’s front loaded so i don’t mind the deal but don’t expect a pro bowl cb here

Being a (much) better tackler is a huge deal, and I have a feeling Waynes is slightly better in coverage as well. Hopefully someone can post some numbers to verify one way or the other.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I was hope Dre could stick around
You can't have too many experienced CBs
On the roster
Reply/Quote
Very solid signing of Waynes
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:56 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't think the Steelers are gonna use a Tender on their short nickle Corner Mike Hilton. He damn good and might be a cheaper option.

Robey-Coleman isn’t having his option picked up either. Decent slot options all around.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: Robey-Coleman isn’t having his option picked up either. Decent slot options all around.

Robey-Coleman would be a nice pickup or Hilton.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dre was a terrible tackler, upgrade.

How are Waynes hands is my question?

7 INT in 5 years, never more than 11 Pdef in a season before, with 8 each of the last two seasons.  That's with Zimmer coaching/scheme rather than Lou Aranumo.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:41 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Our griping became so loud it made Burrow angry AF and he made Mike sign these guys

Noty man enough to step up and eat that crow, eh?

They were laughing their asses off at all you silly whiners.
Reply/Quote
Doesn't flat-out mean Dre is gone; you now have:

- Dre
- WJax
- Phillips
- Waynes
- Webb
- Tony Brown (ST)
- Winston Rose (is that his first name?)

You need 6/7 CBs; we could very well be standing pat on the CB end at this point; even with the cap, I'd MUCH rather have Dre over Webb.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Waynes/Dennard ranking different I imagine is largely based off of their age difference rather than where they actually were play-wise.

I also question if the Bengals will get the same out of Waynes as the Vikings (and Mike Zimmer) got out of him. Do you honestly want to bet that Lou Anarumo is going to get more out of a player than Mike Zimmer could? That concerns me a lot.

EDIT:  PFF has Dennard at a 72.2 grade for 2019, and Waynes at a 65.1 grade for 2019.  I just don't understand how $11m/yr was too much money for a LB for the Bengals, but they can give a mediocre starting CB $20m in year 1.

- - - - - - - - -- 

Just seems like a marginal improvement in positions that weren't in dire need for improvements, for a whole lot of money that could have been better spent yesterday on OL and LB.

Neither of those guys are going to protect Joe Burrow, and neither of those guys are going to stop Ravens TEs and Lamar Jackson's scrambling.
The defense starts from the inside out against the run. If you have a hog in there eating up 2 guys along with Geno, it's going to be a tough day running inside on the Bengals next year.
And, maybe the Bengals coaches feel better about the O Line starting line up than you or we do? There is still other FA's out there in 2nd and 3rd tier, a cheaper OG that's probably going to be good competition for what they currently have; and then there's still the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:10 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: The defense starts from the inside out against the run. If you have a hog in there eating up 2 guys along with Geno, it's going to be a tough day running inside on the Bengals next year.
And, maybe the Bengals coaches feel better about the O Line starting line up than you or we do? There is still other FA's out there in 2nd and 3rd tier, a cheaper OG that's probably going to be good competition for what they currently have; and then there's still the draft.

The Bengals coaches have felt better about the OL starting lineup than I have for the last 4 years. I feel pretty vindicated.

They already tried 3rd tier OL FA, that's how they overpaid Bobby Hart and John Miller. Both of which about as smart of decisions as when they lowballed Whitworth because they felt good about Cedric Ogbuehi at LT.

Every other team has the draft, too. It's not just some secret for the Bengals to use. That's not enough to turn a 2-14 team around to a winner.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Doesn't flat-out mean Dre is gone; you now have:

- Dre
- WJax
- Phillips
- Waynes
- Webb
- Tony Brown (ST)

You need 6/7 CBs; we could very well be standing pat on the CB end at this point; even with the cap, I'd MUCH rather have Dre over Webb.

That's my thinking. The signing doesn't mean Dre is out, just that were shoring up cb.

Side note: this and the other signing gives us more flexibility in the draft . All good 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe they thought that but he played really well on the outside last year. I don’t think Wayne’s has inside out versatility but WJ3 may. Could give you some options for mirroring when they take guys and move their #1 inside.

Phillips was a really good slot CB at Western Michigan and he has played that position well here at times. I think he will be good there once everything gets settled.
My question is with the Wayne signing will they consider trading Jackson?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Waynes/Dennard ranking different I imagine is largely based off of their age difference rather than where they actually were play-wise.

I also question if the Bengals will get the same out of Waynes as the Vikings (and Mike Zimmer) got out of him. Do you honestly want to bet that Lou Anarumo is going to get more out of a player than Mike Zimmer could? That concerns me a lot.

EDIT: PFF has Dennard at a 72.2 grade for 2019, and Waynes at a 65.1 grade for 2019. I just don't understand how $11m/yr was too much money for a LB for the Bengals, but they can give a mediocre starting CB $20m in year 1.

- - - - - - - - -- 

Just seems like a marginal improvement in positions that weren't in dire need for improvements, for a whole lot of money that could have been better spent yesterday on OL and LB.

Neither of those guys are going to protect Joe Burrow, and neither of those guys are going to stop Ravens TEs and Lamar Jackson's scrambling.

PFF doesn’t exactly love Schobert, if that’s our criteria. I think PFF is borderline useless, fwiw, but if you’re going to use it to tear down Waynes it’s tough to argue that Schobert would have been better unless you’re merely arguing positional need.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:20 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Chris Harris Jr next?

NO, Dennard is better.

CH Jr is a slot cover corner and the last couple of years, he was not any better than Dre on the outside.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 7 INT in 5 years, never more than 11 Pdef in a season before, with 8 each of the last two seasons.  That's with Zimmer coaching/scheme rather than Lou Aranumo.

Still much better than Dre = upgrade.

(03-17-2020, 07:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Doesn't flat-out mean Dre is gone; you now have:

- Dre
- WJax
- Phillips
- Waynes
- Webb
- Tony Brown (ST)

For the same amount Dre is getting paid now?

(03-17-2020, 07:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals coaches have felt better about the OL starting lineup than I have for the last 4 years. I feel pretty vindicated.

They already tried 3rd tier OL FA, that's how they overpaid Bobby Hart and John Miller. Both of which about as smart of decisions as when they lowballed Whitworth because they felt good about Cedric Ogbuehi at LT.

Every other team has the draft, too. It's not just some secret for the Bengals to use. That's not enough to turn a 2-14 team around to a winner.

Agree about the OL starting Lineup just think we improved today and we will improve with Burrow and the OL did improve from
complete shit to okay as the year went on once they change to a directional drive blocking scheme and we still have the Draft 
ahead of us. Not complaining about adding a beast NT and getting better at Cornerback.

(03-17-2020, 07:19 PM)Benton Wrote: That's my thinking. The signing doesn't mean Dre is out, just that were shoring up cb.

Side note: this and the other signing gives us more flexibility in the draft . All good 

Dre tweeted a picture selling his Bengals gear already, he is out.
Reply/Quote
I would need to do my homework on Waynes - how old? Is he good? Does he fit our system?

As to OL signees, I would point out Miller improved later last season after we changed line blocking schemes. When he signed a number of us said he would such in a zone scheme but be okay in a drive block scheme - and so it was.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: NO, Dennard is better.

CH Jr is a slot cover corner and the last couple of years, he was not any better than Dre on the outside.

With Dennard gone, I guess we'll be looking for a slot corner in the draft. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Waynes allowed 62.6% of his targets to be caught. He allowed 17 TDs with 8 Interceptions with a 91.3 passer rating
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still much better than Dre = upgrade.

For the same amount Dre is getting paid now?

Agree about the OL starting Lineup just think we improved today and we will improve with Burrow and the OL did improve from
complete shit to okay as the year went on once they change to a directional drive blocking scheme and we still have the Draft 
ahead of us. Not complaining about adding a beast NT and getting better at Cornerback.

Dre tweeted a picture selling his Bengals gear already, he is out.

Yard sale?  EBay? 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I like how they front loaded the contract, very smart move on their part.

Trae has to love getting 20 million in one year, but having most of his cap hit in year one allows the Bengals to either cut/trade him if things don't workout.

Or having the flexibility to resign Mixon next year, if Trae Waynes has a career year.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote