Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign Trae Waynes
(03-17-2020, 07:41 PM)McC Wrote: Yard sale?  EBay? 

No idea, but he tweeted a picture selling his gear last week. Pretty big hint at him not being a Bengal anymore...
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No idea, but he tweeted a picture selling his gear last week. Pretty big hint at him not being a Bengal anymore...

I wonder where an NFL player goes to sell his gear.  Or maybe we're just getting new unis.  I would think he'd still need pads and such.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I get that people are happy we signed someone, but Schobert or a similar middle linebacker would be better in my book. Waynes is a better tackler than Dre, but in reality a slight upgrade in my book.

If we used this money on Schobert, kept Dre for one more year and drafted another corner I think we’d be better off overall. But hey, if they trade Dalton for the Patriots linebacker then my mind would change quick.

I just think if you’re gunna spend the money, spend it where we need it. Regardless, I’m anxious to see what Waynes does for us this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Im more suprised that they made this deal seeing that dennard got less than 5 mil a year. Dennard could have been had at a bargain and we spent way more for a corner outside of the organization. Times really are changing.
Reply/Quote
Some PFF Free Agency stuff on Trae Waynes.

Quote:Youthful yet experienced cornerbacks will almost always turn heads when they become available on the free agent market. So, while the 27-year-old Trae Waynes may have performed below expectations as a former first-round pick, his solid tackling and 1,910 career coverage snaps could mean that he gets a second chance to make a good impression.

Since being taken with the 11th overall selection of the 2015 NFL Draft, Trae Waynes has played in 74 of a possible 80 regular-season games with the Minnesota Vikings.

In his time in Minnesota, Waynes has earned a coverage grade of 65.9 that ranks 114th among cornerbacks who have played at least 1,000 snaps over the last five seasons. And while he has consistently provided tight coverage, he’s still managed to allow a whopping 215 receptions on throws into his coverage, the 17th-most among players at the position.

However, with his 4.3 speed and good short-area quickness, Waynes still has the potential to turn it around and become a more consistent player.

Trae Waynes: Third-down coverage statistics since 2015 (regular season only, min. 500 coverage snaps)

His best production has come on third downs; he is currently tied with Richard Sherman and Aqib Talib by allowing the fourth-fewest third-down receptions (39) since 2015, and he’s also given up the second-fewest first downs (24). Waynes’ third-down coverage grade of 69.8 may rank 26th, but both his 5.8 yards per reception allowed and his 30.5 conversion percentage rank first among qualifying corners.

Be that as it may, Waynes does need to play with improved discipline — he tends to peek into the backfield and often loses his leverage in coverage as a result. He has also shown a tendency to allow wide receivers to separate as the ball arrives, which has also contributed to the high volume of receptions allowed. An improved technique will lead to an improvement in his overall confidence.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:56 PM)McC Wrote: I wonder where an NFL player goes to sell his gear.  Or maybe we're just getting new unis.  I would think he'd still need pads and such.

We aren't getting new unis from what I have been hearing. He will get new gear and pads wherever he lands.

(03-17-2020, 08:01 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I get that people are happy we signed someone, but Schobert or a similar middle linebacker would be better in my book. Waynes is a better tackler than Dre, but in reality a slight upgrade in my book.

If we used this money on Schobert, kept Dre for one more year and drafted another corner I think we’d be better off overall. But hey, if they trade Dalton for the Patriots linebacker then my mind would change quick.

I just think if you’re gunna spend the money, spend it where we need it. Regardless, I’m anxious to see what Waynes does for us this year.

We wanted Schobert but didn't want to overpay for him, we were in the bidding just didn't want to pay 3 mil more for him.

Littleton was the guy that we should of went after from what he got paid, he was affordable.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Some PFF Free Agency stuff on Trae Waynes.

I really like that Waynes is great on 3rd down.
Reply/Quote
Disregard my last comment, I wasn't caught up on the news lol
Reply/Quote
not bad, not bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I really like that Waynes is great on 3rd down.

If the plan is to go heavy blitz:press man on 3rd down similar to say the Ravens then this could make a lot of sense.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Disregard my last comment, I wasn't caught up on the news lol

Okay.  But just this once.  lol.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:03 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Im more suprised that they made this deal seeing that dennard got less than 5 mil a year. Dennard could have been had at a bargain and we spent way more for a corner outside of the organization. Times really are changing.

It just makes more sense to sign Dennard for 5mil and sign a legit middle linebacker than to sign waynes to such a massive deal. They must have another plan for linebacker. Check that, they better have another plan. Hopefully Waynes is more durable.

(03-17-2020, 08:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We wanted Schobert but didn't want to overpay for him, we were in the bidding just didn't want to pay 3 mil more for him.

Littleton was the guy that we should of went after from what he got paid, he was affordable.

Could be neither wanted to sign here or they just couldnt get it done. Really cant know. I’m hoping this works out and Waynes plays lights out. And we figure out linebacker somehow.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:24 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: PFF doesn’t exactly love Schobert, if that’s our criteria. I think PFF is borderline useless, fwiw, but if you’re going to use it to tear down Waynes it’s tough to argue that Schobert would have been better unless you’re merely arguing positional need.

Yeah, agreed it's not the be-all end-all by any means. I'm just arguing that there's not a big difference performance-wise between Dennard and Waynes, but there's a massive financial difference. A financial difference that would have been much better off paying Littleton or one of the top OL.

Top 4 CBs for the Bengals 2019:  WJ3, Dennard, Kirkpatrick, Webb
Top 4 CBs fro the Bengals 2020: WJ3, Waynes, Kirkpatrick, Webb

The improvement is marginal, if any at all. It is a lateral movement, with massive financial difference that will now be used by the Bengals FO as reasoning why they couldn't improve the LBs or OL. Those two are still huge glaring weaknesses and have been for years now. A $20m average-to-slightly-above-average CB (which is what Waynes is in 2020) is not the solution for the Bengals woes.

The Bengals are giving Waynes $20m in 2020 alone.
The Jets are giving Connor McGovern $27m from 2020-2022.

The Raiders are paying $6m less for Littleton than the Bengals are paying for Waynes and Littleton would have made a MUCH MUCH bigger difference for the Bengals than Waynes will. It's just bad FO-ing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
This by no means a DD replacement. Wayne’s plays outside and we are going to be bitching about him during the regular season but he’s a upgrade to DKP and bc the contract is front loaded i don’t mind it bc we have flexibility after this year
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree about the OL starting Lineup just think we improved today and we will improve with Burrow and the OL did improve from
complete shit to okay as the year went on once they change to a directional drive blocking scheme and we still have the Draft 
ahead of us. Not complaining about adding a beast NT and getting better at Cornerback.

The passing offense was still abysmal and the Bengals had the benefit of playing a lot of losers in the final 7 games last year that gave the illusion of improvement.

It's a lot easier to look good against the Raiders/Browns/Browns/Jets/Dolphins than the Seahawks/49ers/Ravens/Rams/Ravens.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
What in the hell is going on?

Do I have Corona? Is this a fever dream? Does Mike have Corona? Does Corana cause reckless spending like mania? Where am I?
Reply/Quote
He's a small upgrade over Dre K, but he has room for some improvement. Did he get overpaid? Probably, but the Bengals had the cap room and the deal is front loaded. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
This could shake out pretty damn good if we find another way to fix middle linebacker. Our interior line is elite. We have two solid tackling corners out wide. We already have some edge players. If we can add another middle linebacker and either a developmental edge player or another safety we will be much improved on defense. It could take another offseason to finalize the linebacker core though.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What in the hell is going on?

Do I have Corona? Is this a fever dream? Does Mike have Corona? Does Corana cause reckless spending like mania? Where am I?
If the Corona has a lime in it, then yes, especially if there are a bunch of them.

Reply/Quote
I haven't read the whole thread but was hoping they'd go D in free agency so they can concentrate more on offense in draft.

I must admit I'm a little shocked.
Reply/Quote