Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boyd seeking 10M a year, wants to stay
I'd give it to him tomorrow.

This team has likely learned it's lesson post Houshmandzadeh/Marvin Jones. Both left the team wandering in darkness at the number 2 receiver spot for several seasons. Letting go of a number 2 receiver hasn't worked for them at all recently. Might as well keep the guy you've developed and pay him.

After seeing the kinds of deals guys got this offseason, I think 10 mil is pretty pedestrian, to be honest. Not to mention the fact that Boyd is still young enough to get even better. No way in the world I'd let him go.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 10:58 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd give it to him tomorrow.  

This team has likely learned it's lesson post Houshmandzadeh/Marvin Jones.  Both left the team wandering in darkness at the number 2 receiver spot for several seasons.  Letting go of a number 2 receiver hasn't worked for them at all recently.  Might as well keep the guy you've developed and pay him.  

After seeing the kinds of deals guys got this offseason, I think 10 mil is pretty pedestrian, to be honest.  Not to mention the fact that Boyd is still young enough to get even better.  No way in the world I'd let him go.

Hopefully Mike Brown, or his younger think-alike step-son, don't insult Boyd with low ball offers and drive him away.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 11:08 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hopefully Mike Brown, or his younger think-alike step-son, don't insult Boyd with low ball offers and drive him away.

For a player in their prime, this is certainly not their tendency.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I believe Ross will come around under Taylor and finally be that player i thought he would be. A faster more classy Antonio Brown.

That's pretty high hopes right there. Not saying it can't happen but there was more to AB than just AB. A great OL bought a lot of time for Ben giving him more time to get open when well covered. Also, since the refs seemed to rarely throw flags on them, that was huge as well. The team made AB who he is. Lets hope ours can do the same.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 11:35 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote:  He had a good year last year. That is without Green and Eifert to target most of the season. I just don't know if he is going to improve this year.
So basically, the guy came through when we needed him most, and you feel that he still has more to prove?  The guy not only rebounded from a Sophomore slump, but when he was thrust into the role of being the primary receiver he not only hung in there, but performed admirably.  And, he has expressed his desire to remain a Bengal.

I'm not so sure that the rest of us are on the Boyd "bandwagon", as much as you are appearing look more and more like the lone doubter.  The man has more than proven he was worthy of the 2nd round pick in 2016, now it's time to make sure that he stays with the team for the long term.   

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
FWIW this is one the guys you gotta keep, if you're gonna live and die by the draft and all.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 11:35 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I just don't know if he is going to improve this year.

I look past the hype and try to evaluate contracts based on what can you do for me in the future. 

Boyd is not some unproven player that we are paying based on "potential".  His numbers last year justify $10 million a year right now. 

And if you really do look to the future then you will see that his contract will be a huge bargain in 4 years.
Reply/Quote
Seems reasonable to me. And as others have mentioned, he wants to be here. That's part of your team identity.

Also factor in that it isn't like we're stacked at WR right now...the only way I could see this not being a good idea is if Zac has some definite vision that doesn't involve him.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 09:11 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: That's pretty high hopes right there. Not saying it can't happen but there was more to AB than just AB. A great OL bought a lot of time for Ben giving him more time to get open when well covered. Also, since the refs seemed to rarely throw flags on them, that was huge as well. The team made AB who he is. Lets hope ours can do the same.

It is high hopes, no doubt. Just what i see with his talent, Ross is bigger and faster then AB too contrary to what some say.

In space the dude can be ridiculous, i just don't think he has been used correctly to his strengths.

Seen a lot of this with Marv's coaches.

AB as you say also got away with a lot of push offs in Pitt. We will see how well he does with the Raiders who don't get away with penalties near as much. AB also didn't score many TD's his first couple years, Ross already has 7 even if he doesn't have the yard, TD's matter much more than yards.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: $10.25 mil per year would make him about the 20th highest paid WR in the league.  That seems a little high, but young guys get richer deals.

I am really concerned about AJ injury issues.  I would be tempted to pay Boyd this year and possibly let Green leave in free agency next year.

This.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: These numbers don't sound right, but according to Profootballreference.com on third and 5 or longer Boyd was targeted 17 times, made 16 catches, and converted 15 first downs.

On fourth down he was targeted 3 times, made 3 catches, and converted all three for first downs.

He had, what, 3 or 4 critical conversions in ATL alone?  Straight money in crucial situations.  No way I'd let this kid out of town.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 10:12 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So basically, the guy came through when we needed him most, and you feel that he still has more to prove?  The guy not only rebounded from a Sophomore slump, but when he was thrust into the role of being the primary receiver he not only hung in there, but performed admirably.  And, he has expressed his desire to remain a Bengal.

I'm not so sure that the rest of us are on the Boyd "bandwagon", as much as you are appearing look more and more like the lone doubter.  The man has more than proven he was worthy of the 2nd round pick in 2016, now it's time to make sure that he stays with the team for the long term.   

Boyd was also producing WITH AJ Green and Eifert on the field.  He had some 3rd and 4th down conversions in the Atlanta game that kept scoring drives going.....including the game winner.  I don't know what some folks were watching.

(05-26-2019, 10:41 AM)SladeX Wrote: FWIW this is one the guys you gotta keep, if you're gonna live and die  by the draft and all.

Exactly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I like this quote. Totally opposite of Marvin Jones:

“It’s finding the right guys in the right system. It’s hard to have two No. 1s on the same team. For me, I’m so good in the slot, I can maneuver all around the field and I can help create a lot of mismatches and there’d be no controversy. ‘Should Tyler be in front of A.J.’ It won’t come down to that discussion. That’s why I’m the best fit to be able to get paid and stay here.”
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 01:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like this quote. Totally opposite of Marvin Jones:

“It’s finding the right guys in the right system. It’s hard to have two No. 1s on the same team. For me, I’m so good in the slot, I can maneuver all around the field and I can help create a lot of mismatches and there’d be no controversy. ‘Should Tyler be in front of A.J.’ It won’t come down to that discussion. That’s why I’m the best fit to be able to get paid and stay here.”

Awesome quote. This is what i love to hear, he isn't trying to be the #1 but he could be. He has tons of confidence and yet is very humble. Great combination with his clutch hands, smarts and crisp route running. Pay the man.
Reply/Quote
We do seem to have a great mix of guys from a personality/morality perspective.

I think we have a lot of the dirty players and troublemakers off the team. Much easier to win without them.
Reply/Quote
We should save the money for extensions... oh wait.

Yes, pay the guy. Any doubt he's proved his worth was shown that he produced without AJ and Eifert, which Sanu couldn't do. The guy drops very little, is a quiet producer and is certainly worth it. Unless of course you all would rather use it for resigning poorly rated linemen. Yawn

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 10:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: Boyd was also producing WITH AJ Green and Eifert on the field.  He had some 3rd and 4th down conversions in the Atlanta game that kept scoring drives going.....including the game winner.  I don't know what some folks were watching.

Exactly.

:andy: :andy: :andy:

To all comments in this post as well as Fred's observation that $10 million a year will be a bargain in 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Awesome quote. This is what i love to hear, he isn't trying to be the #1 but he could be. He has tons of confidence and yet is very humble. Great combination with his clutch hands, smarts and crisp route running. Pay the man.

And he also realizes that as AJ slows down, they may switch. The whole narrative that the Bengals didn't pay Jones is bull as well. They offered Jones the same money Detroit did. Jones wanted to be a #1....
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 03:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And he also realizes that as AJ slows down, they may switch. The whole narrative that the Bengals didn't pay Jones is bull as well. They offered Jones the same money Detroit did. Jones wanted to be a #1....

Yeah it was Jones or Iloka. Once Jones went to Detroit, they shifted the money to Iloka.

Honestly, Marvin Jones isn't a #1 WR.

Tyler Boyd probably isn't either.

One realizes this. The other doesn't.
Reply/Quote
Hell, for 10 mil a year, I'd be happy with 70 catches, 850 yards and 5 TDs... while AJ is here.

If AJ is gone and he becomes the #1, he's gotta OVER produce what he did last year, IMO.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote