Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Broncos expected to go after Whitworth
(02-23-2017, 05:07 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm sorry, and this is going to get crapped on, but giving Andrew Whitworth a huge contract extension with long year or big guaranteed dollars at this point in his career is the wrong thing to do.

The Patriots WOULDN'T do it. The Bengals SHOULDN'T do it. No way... No how.

I'm sorry, but starting Fisher or Ogbuehi at LT or wasting a first round pick reaching for a new LT is the wrong thing to do.  Ced demonstrably lost games for them this year.  

Guaranteed losing season if this happens.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 05:22 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm sorry, but starting Fisher or Ogbuehi at LT or wasting a first round pick reaching for a new LT is the wrong thing to do.  Ced demonstrably lost games for them this year.  

Guaranteed losing season if this happens.

The Bengals need to redo the O-line. no question. Either by shuffling guys, drafting, developing, or signing new blood. But signing a 35 year old FA to a BIG money deal long term is NOT the best way to do it. One injury and he's done. Too much risk. They have to replace him eventually. Now's the time. Not that i WANT Whitworth off the roster. He's been one of the top 10 Bengals of all time, IMO. It is just time.

Again... New England (smartly) wouldn't sign him and would let him walk. The Bengals should, too.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 05:07 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm sorry, and this is going to get crapped on, but giving Andrew Whitworth a huge contract extension with long year or big guaranteed dollars at this point in his career is the wrong thing to do.

Who said a huge contract extension? All he wants is 9 mil per year for 2 years.

We can afford that and it would save our team. Dalton's blindside would be protected and if Whit started to fall off
and another OT played better we could put him at LG and Boling at RG. The Patriots might even sign Whit if we let
him go into FA, wouldn't surprise me.

(02-23-2017, 05:15 PM)nkets Wrote: It's been a while, being a working class individual it's hard to find the time. Although the idea did cross my mind just yesterday so be on the lookout closer to the season starting. I'll be sure to post any on here like I did back on the old boards
Rock On

Know how it is bro. Always loved your vids would love to see some new ones.

Most have that rap crap. You always had the best music like All that Remains etc.

That would be awesome. Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 05:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who said a huge contract extension? All he wants is 9 mil per year for 2 years.

We can afford that and it would save our team. Dalton's blindside would be protected and if Whit started to fall off
and another OT played better we could put him at LG and Boling at RG. The Patriots might even sign Whit if we let
him go into FA, wouldn't surprise me.

Know how it is bro. Always loved your vids would love to see some new ones.

Most have that rap crap. You always had the best music like All that Remains etc.

That would be awesome. Cool

Someone will throw more than $9mm for 2 at him. Look at the current LT salaries...

http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

Hmmmm, am I sensing a sig bet here????  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 05:31 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Someone will throw more than $9mm for 2 at him. Look at the current LT salaries...

http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

Even 10 mil for 2 is worth it to us. If we lose him our season next year is done.

Why would any team throw next year away? Do you have faith in either Fisher or Og at LT in place of Whit?

I sure as hell don't. The FO and PA put us in this position by drafting these guys and not coaching them up.

Our hand is forced.

If we don't sign Whit we will have to get an OT in FA and most likely a Guard to replace Zeitler and we still would have a shitty Center.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 05:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Even 10 mil for 2 is worth it to us. If we lose him our season next year is done.

Why would any team throw next year away? Do you have faith in either Fisher or Og at LT in place of Whit?

I sure as hell don't. The FO and PA put us in this position by drafting these guys and not coaching them up.

Our hand is forced.

If we don't sign Whit we will have to get an OT in FA and most likely a Guard to replace Zeitler and we still would have a shitty Center.

I disagree. I don't think it's THAT dire of a situation. They have to move on eventually. What's the difference between now or next year other than the team is a year further behind and the young guys will have contracts ending within a year or two at that point and the Bengals will be over a bigger barrel at that point.

The Bengals will need a LT and RT sooner rather than later. To extend Whitworth in the sunset of his career with several young players and high draft picks sitting there makes little sense to me. They have to coach better. They have to play better. Whit is too much money and too old. It's a huge risk.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 05:47 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I disagree. I don't think it's THAT dire of a situation. They have to move on eventually. What's the difference between now or next year other than the team is a year further behind and the young guys will have contracts ending within a year or two at that point and the Bengals will be over a bigger barrel at that point.

The Bengals will need a LT and RT sooner rather than later. To extend Whitworth in the sunset of his career with several young players and high draft picks sitting there makes little sense to me. They have to coach better. They have to play better. Whit is too much money and too old. It's a huge risk.

Well i guess we just disagree.

It would be different if we had an O-line coach that i had some faith in to coach up younger players.

Whitworth, Boling and Zeitler are our only good O-lineman and if we lose two of them we are screwed.

We are not going to make any big splashes in FA from what we have seen in the past, doesn't matter
who we draft cause we cannot coach them up into NFL quality players. Whitworth is our best O-lineman,
i don't care how old he is and he is a probowl level LT.

We will not be able to just replace him.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 03:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Unless they feel they are still in "win-now" mode. Whitworth and a vet QB like Romo could get that back in the contender picture.

For two or three games, until Romo gets broken again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 05:26 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Bengals need to redo the O-line. no question. Either by shuffling guys, drafting, developing, or signing new blood. But signing a 35 year old FA to a BIG money deal long term is NOT the best way to do it. One injury and he's done. Too much risk. They have to replace him eventually. Now's the time. Not that i WANT Whitworth off the roster. He's been one of the top 10 Bengals of all time, IMO. It is just time.

Again... New England (smartly) wouldn't sign him and would let him walk. The Bengals should, too.

The Patriots happen to have an OLine coach who can coach guys up.  You have one guy on the line you can count on.  Unless you're tearing it down and starting over, he has to come back.   Or, you can just see how long it takes for Andy to end up on IR.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
God help them if they lose Whitworth and Zeitler. Dalton will be dead by Week 4
Reply/Quote
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/23/14715098/broncos-russell-okung-paving-way-run-andrew-whitworth-bengals
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 04:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Start with the O-line coach and we might have something.

Otherwise, they will become the Queefland Clowns.

Our players do not deserves this, it is sickening. Sick

I am sure we are jumping to "contusions", but honestly I do NOT trust this FO. Period. :paul:
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 07:07 PM)McC Wrote: The Patriots happen to have an OLine coach who can coach guys up.  You have one guy on the line you can count on.  Unless you're tearing it down and starting over, he has to come back.   Or, you can just see how long it takes for Andy to end up on IR.

And now you see my the path for my vision. Jeff Driskel to the Superbowl ala Tom Brady.
Reply/Quote
Not being prepared to lose Whit after selecting back to back tackles early in a weak tackle class should fall at the feet of P.A. Should have been enough to have a reason to fire him. I wouldn't be surprised (losing Whit seems to need to be considered) if MB forces the coaches hand and pushes forward with the young tackles as planned.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

I get your logic and I would agree....but the Pats develop o-linemen. Piano Man does not.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If I were running the Bengals, I would take on all comers for Andrew Whitworth. First of all, he is still a great tackle, and we need him badly. Secondly, he is the symbol of everything that is right about the Bengals. Stand-up guy, great player, wants to help younger players, shuts down great defensive ends, and on and on.

In addition to being a premier part of our offense in a very practical way, losing him would send tremors through the fan base, the entire team and coaching staff, as well as free agents and others who we may be interested in for the future. It would make us look like the dumbasses we are, and we need to conceal that from the world.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:35 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: It would make us look like the dumbasses we are, and we need to conceal that from the world.

I'm inclined to think they're already on to us.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:40 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I'm inclined to think they're already on to us.

Well, ok, then just conceal it as much as possible.
Reply/Quote
If you are playing the game to win the Superbowl every year, you sign or tag Whit.

If you are playing the game to have 3 non-losing seasons out of the next five years, you don't sign or tag Whit.

The core isn't getting any younger. If it were up to me, I'd go for broke and try to win as much as possible within the next two years. If you have to tag Whit and overpay some folks, so be it.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:35 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: If I were running the Bengals, I would take on all comers for Andrew Whitworth.  First of all, he is still a great tackle, and we need him badly.  Secondly, he is the symbol of everything that is right about the Bengals.  Stand-up guy, great player, wants to help younger players, shuts down great defensive ends, and on and on.

In addition to being a premier part of our offense in a very practical way, losing him would send tremors through the fan base, the entire team and coaching staff, as well as free agents and others who we may be interested in for the future.  It would make us look like the dumbasses we are, and we need to conceal that from the world.

Great post Thundercloud. Rock On
Reply/Quote