Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burfict Again
(10-17-2016, 10:39 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yes it was a few plays before. I think it was Sims, but can not remember. The commentators made a comment that they picked up the flag because you can not get a face mask penalty for going under the mask and grabbing the face. It was a very snarky comment, but they even said a personal foul should have been called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was one of our DBs.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It might have been. I may just be thinking of sims because of him coming to Burfict's aid after Blount shoved him.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I thought it was one of our DBs.

It was Shawn Williams.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=898&d=1476731072]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:42 PM)kacymcbryant18 Wrote: Man, it has never been more obvious than right now that Burfict has lost all benefit of the doubt.  Its like its a witch hunt out for this guy.  Anything that is remotely close to "suspect" he's automatically accused of wrongdoing.  

There is no evidence whatsoever from that shot that he was stepping on his legs.  Go back and watch the game tape.  After Blount scores the TD, Shawn Williams is trying to rip the ball out of his hands.  Blount is pushing Shawn in his facemask.  Burfict sees this and is "stepping on his legs" or "stepping over people" to get to Blount.  I guess it depends on what you want to see.  After he stands up, Burfict is right on his back so he pushes him down on the ground.

Like I said, he has dissolved all benefit of the doubt so he's going to have to live with it but this is LaGarrette Blount we're talking about here, who has a history himself.

Exactly on all counts. Burfict blocked me on Twitter after I tweeted that he was putting a target on his back last year. Even if he's a choirboy on the field people are going to make stuff up because they don't want to face him.

I posted on the other thread about this, because God knows we need multiple threads about this, that this video is more of the same. You can't see if he's stepping on anything and you certainly can't read his mind to know whether it's deliberate.

The interesting thing about this clip is that it's coaches film posted by an ESPN beat reporter on Monday afternoon. Makes me wonder whether the Patriots organization fed it to him to help beat this anti-Burfict drum.  
Reply/Quote
For having his legs stomped on, Blount is on his feet rather quickly... Burfict's legs are still moving downward as Blount is turning toward him to push him. Burfict did or said something though. Blount was already mixed up with Williams on this play. It's really tough to see anything conclusive on my phone from that shitty angle. It just looks like what goes on in football games to me.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 11:07 PM)Roland Wrote: Exactly on all counts. Burfict blocked me on Twitter after I tweeted that he was putting a target on his back last year. Even if he's a choirboy on the field people are going to make stuff up because they don't want to face him.

I posted on the other thread about this, because God knows we need multiple threads about this, that this video is more of the same. You can't see if he's stepping on anything and you certainly can't read his mind to know whether it's deliberate.

The interesting thing about this clip is that it's coaches film posted by an ESPN beat reporter on Monday afternoon. Makes me wonder whether the Patriots organization fed it to him to help beat this anti-Burfict drum.  

The Pats have nothing to gain by getting Burfict suspended.  Even if we make the playoffs, the Pats will have a bye and we'll lose in the first round again.  Plus, it's not like they had difficulty handling us with Burfict on the field.

Now, I can go with Goodell hooking the Steelers up with their first game coming during his suspension, but this is just making up conspiracies where none exist.
Reply/Quote
There are a couple different angles online, and none of them look good. Burfict walks in, stomps on something, Brady points it out to the ref, and Blount gets up angry. Assuming Goodell rules that he did intentionally stomp him, how long does he get suspended for this time? Keep in mind you've got the low hit on Bennett earlier in the same game... four games? Six??

And at what point do Paul Guenther and Marvin Lewis have to take some accountability? One of two things... either Burfict is incapable of understanding the situation he is in or his coaches and this organization have done a piss poor job of explaining it to him. Either way, it is completely unacceptable.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 11:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Pats have nothing to gain by getting Burfict suspended.  Even if we make the playoffs, the Pats will have a bye and we'll lose in the first round again.  Plus, it's not like they had difficulty handling us with Burfict on the field.

Now, I can go with Goodell hooking the Steelers up with their first game coming during his suspension, but this is just making up conspiracies where none exist.

Let's be real.  First off, with the way this team is playing they are not getting anywhere near the post season.  Second, the Patriots are not afraid of the Bengals in the playoffs.  Especially not in Foxboro.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 11:27 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Let's be real.  First off, with the way this team is playing they are not getting anywhere near the post season.  Second, the Patriots are not afraid of the Bengals in the playoffs.  Especially not in Foxboro.

At this point, the Pats would be better off with Burfict taking out Bell, Ben, and/or Brown again, but they own the Steelers almost as much as they own us.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 11:25 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: There are a couple different angles online, and none of them look good.  Burfict walks in, stomps on something, Brady points it out to the ref, and Blount gets up angry.  Assuming Goodell rules that he did intentionally stomp him, how long does he get suspended for this time?  Keep in mind you've got the low hit on Bennett earlier in the same game... four games?  Six??

And at what point do Paul Guenther and Marvin Lewis have to take some accountability?  One of two things... either Burfict is incapable of understanding the situation he is in or his coaches and this organization have done a piss poor job of explaining it to him.  Either way, it is completely unacceptable.

Burfict doesn't understand accountability.  As someone pointed out in another thread, his coach pulled him out of a game in college due to personal fouls, and then he refused to go back in.  The only way you stop it is to get rid of him.  
Reply/Quote
I defended Burfict all throughout the off season . Said no way he could be that stupid and just "lost the ball, got there late, accident". No more. Thanks for making me look like an asshole.

Time to get Vigil up to NFL speed Marv.

Reply/Quote
I've got no problem with Burfict doing what he did (if he did indeed do it) if it was in response for what Blount did to DreK and Shawn Williams.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:37 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I missed the issue with Blount and the picked up flag.  How did you see this?  Did the announcers mention it?  

I had the VCR synced with Hoard and Lap.

Please tell me it's true you still use a VCR! Please!

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 11:56 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Please tell me it's true you still use a VCR! Please!

Hilarious   DVR   Nervous
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 11:56 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I've got no problem with Burfict doing what he did (if he did indeed do it) if it was in response for what Blount did to DreK and Shawn Williams.

Problem is, you aren't on the NFL commissioner or on the committee that determines fines and suspensions.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 12:22 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Problem is, you aren't on the NFL commissioner or on the committee that determines fines and suspensions.

Nope, but if they fine him, we start a gofundme account, get a dollar from every Bengal fan to cover the fine and send it with a giant F-You to the wanna be Hitler commissioner and a nice note saying get off his back.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
 I didn't see anything. 

Reply/Quote
I'm going to have to argue that this type of behavior reflects as much, if not more so, on the coach as much as it does the player.

This type of continuing play tells me a couple of things:

1.) Marvin, for whatever reason, has been unable to teach him or get him to do otherwise. And that's kind of part of the gig. It's not the only part, and it may not even be the biggest part of the job. But part of being a coach in this league is getting your players to respond to what you're saying and teaching. Part of the job is having your players listen to you and execute your commands.

I find it hard to believe, in fact impossible to believe, that Marvin hasn't talked to him for years about cleaning up his play. It has to have been conversation they've had multiple times. It clearly isn't getting through.

2.) Marvin doesn't have the balls, or he doesn't care enough, to actually do anything about it. He's either indifferent to it (translation = he is a piece of shit coach) or he chooses not to do anything about it.

Benching him surely has been option. And perhaps and had he done this sooner it would have been more effective. Not only does it serve as a teachable moment for young player, but it serves an opportunity to set an example.

Make no mistake, every single coach creates a culture within their organization. Everything they do, or don't do, affects the culture they have. Perhaps benching Burfict would have been beneficial to the team as it was to the player. I think accountability, or lacktheof, is something that truly plagues this top. From the top on down. It permeates through the entire organization.

Maybe Burfict doesn't care about the fines. Maybe he's too stupid to rationalize the pro's and cons, when he's in the heat of the moment. But I do get the impression he loves the game. Maybe, just maybe, Marvin, his head coach, who has direct control over his future, could get him to change his play by taking the game away from him? Bench him. Threaten to bench him. Publicly admonish him. Do something. Do anything.

Yet he does nothing. I have never heard him rip the behavior. I've never heard him take direct responsibility, for him or the player, for poor sportsmanship. Never. If his required to comment on it, only when it's a direct question, who usually skirts the question. He'll gig a little bit, or he'll pretend that the question isn't worth the time. He'll also put it more back on the league. It's "I've told him the league" ... "The league has new rules and..." Never that it was just a bs play or that his player was wrong. Never that.

It's the same as the "a lot of teams would just be happy to make the playoffs". "Whatever. Your question has no merit. I don't care, good is good enough. Burfict will continue to play and if you don't like it's just because it's a league and rules issue.

No wonder why a lot of guys were laughing after the game. No wonder you wouldn't see that from other teams. Our coach and his staff have created a culture of lower standards. And their owner hammers that home by keeping said coach in place.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:39 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yes it was a few plays before. I think it was Sims, but can not remember. The commentators made a comment that they picked up the flag because you can not get a face mask penalty for going under the mask and grabbing the face. It was a very snarky comment, but they even said a personal foul should have been called.

It was Shawn Williams.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=898&d=1476731072]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: Marvin has no control over these players.  Chad, Henry, Thurman, Jones, etc haven't taught you that?  Although with Burfict, he's done this crap in college, too.  He may just be a lost cause.

Notice when Gronk got his flag, Bellichek jerked him out of the game and ripped his xss?  Marvin watched Burfict pull the pin with his shot on Bennett, then left him to totally hand grenade himself with this.  Suspended for sure, now.

No he doesn't.

Reply/Quote