Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye, Josh Malone and Hardy Nickerson!
(09-01-2019, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, with only 4 LBs on the roster;  Either the team is dead set on running a 2 LB set, or they are looking to make a deal for someone else.

(09-01-2019, 04:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: @Pistons

You still think this is similar to how things would have gone down under Marvin? I don’t.

Nickerson, especially, is the kind of guy that Marvin would have kept bringing back.

So how many LBers do we even have atm?

Pratt
Brown
Vigil
Evans

There HAS to be a move coming right? No way they are comfortable with only 4.

They must have something up their sleeve ? I can't imagine they're gonna stick with four. Perhaps move a Dlineman ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 05:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They must have something up their sleeve ? I can't imagine they're gonna stick with four. Perhaps move a Dlineman ?

Well...If you are only playing 2...you can get away with it. Assuming they will play 3 safeties.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 05:33 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: love how some on here act like the 50th through 55th players on the roster are sure fire first ballot hall of famers

Whatever I didn't see anyone acting like that.

Reply/Quote
THE PISTONS Wrote:Perine has been terrible as a RB.

Cooper is a returner.

Not that we gave up much in the guys we waived, but we didn't exactly bring in Superstars either.
Never claimed that. My reason for liking these additions is the same as bfine's. Samaje gives us another goal line thumper and Cooper takes over return duties that will eventually go to Williams, when he gets healthy.

Plus being reunited with Mixon and Anderson may actually help him improve.
Reply/Quote
Is Dakota Allen still available? He seems like a good fit for Bengals if they decide to cut one of the NT for a backer.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 06:04 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Never claimed that. My reason for liking these additions is the same as bfine's. Samaje gives us another goal line thumper and Cooper takes over return duties that will eventually go to Williams, when he gets healthy.

Plus being reunited with Mixon and Anderson may actually help him improve.

I find it interesting that Mixon, "Mr. Anderson" and Perine would be on same professional team.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 05:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would have to ask for some help from Florida State fans like Wyche but I think Tate was the fly route WR for the Seminoles.  He is slow but was considered reliable in catching the ball with little separation from defenders.  

His catch radius is what makes him a good prospect at this point in time. I question wether his lack of speed can make him an outside WR. He is a good blocker from all accounts and he his still more athletic than most LB. Would like the team to use him like Eifert who is basically a big WR.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 06:05 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Is Dakota Allen still available?  He seems like a good fit for Bengals if they decide to cut one of the NT for a backer.

Rams PS
J24

Reply/Quote
They may be planning to go 4-2-5 with the fifth DB being a safety who is frequently up like a LB (Shawn Williams probably). We have the secondary depth to do this.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 06:08 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Rams PS

I thought he was released...

This link is from another forum member...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/9/1/20843033/nfl-roster-cuts-2019-free-agents-bengals
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 06:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: They may be planning to go 4-2-5 with the fifth DB being a safety who is frequently up like a LB (Shawn Williams probably). We have the secondary depth to do this.

The 4-2-5 would have worked better with a healthy Dennard.  But I agree that S. Williams will be closer to LOS.  I also think they will go 5-1-5, and 5-2-4 with 1-2 standing DL players sort of like the zone blitz scheme the Steelers used a few years ago.   The teeth of the Bengals defense is their DL group.  A lot of talent on that DL, especially if Geno stays healthy.  

Of course these alignments comes at a price...Teams will throw to the flat and hit crossing TE patterns that for the love of God, Bengals cannot seem to cover TE.   Cry
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 05:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's a career 3.5 ypc guy.

Basically the Bengals are on the Friends and Family plan. They bring in guys Taylor has worked with in the past...and now they'll bring in Mixon's former college buddy.

With our terrible line, I don't see Perine doing better here.

We needed another body and Perine is a stout one.

Nothing wrong with having continuity on your team either.

(09-01-2019, 05:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cooper is literally a former All Pro returner...

I’d call that a superstar at that particular skill set.

Exactly, shouldn't leave out his Returning skills if you are going to judge.

(09-01-2019, 05:42 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I really do not have evidence for this but from what I gathered from ZT interviews, the Bengals are going to use pass to set up the rush, which is just the opposite of what teams do in the NFL, that is, using rush to set up play-action Pass PAP.  I see them running like 60-40 or even 70-30 pass-rush schemes.  Some will be in the flat or wheel route patterns.  They will try to get backs in space.  I also think Mixon can bounce to the outside just enough to keep safeties near the LOS.  

Been leaning this way but who knows, we don't have a clue from this Preseason. VANILLA
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 06:10 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I thought he was released...

This link is from another forum member...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/9/1/20843033/nfl-roster-cuts-2019-free-agents-bengals

He was then he was signed to their practice squad
J24

Reply/Quote
4 linebackers on the roster.

So now what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 06:50 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: 4 linebackers on the roster.

So now what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a way I think it's actually a really outside-of-the-box, intriguing move. The coaching staff basically looked at their defensive roster, acknowledged the weakness at the linebacker position, and said screw it, let's just run extra guys out there on the line and in the secondary. I think a lot of coaches would've kept some of our bums at the position just because of the old "we have to have X number of linebackers" philosophy, but this... is kind of interesting.

The supposed tradeoff to this is that it leads you more open to being beat by TEs and RBs in short yardage and in the middle of the field but, ummm... that was happening anyways in our standard package and would've continued to happen this year. Might as well concede that point and focus on areas they can actually improve.

I've been excited to see the new offense all offseason, but I'm actually more interested in seeing our defensive approach now too.
Reply/Quote
Thank goodness I dont have to watch Nickerson trail 5 yds behind a TE across the middle anymore.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 07:04 PM)Beaker Wrote: Thank goodness I dont have to watch Nickerson trail 5 yds behind a TE across the middle anymore.

Hopefully Pratt can cover TE but I have a sinking feeling, opposing teams will be using TE a lot against Bengals.  Been a problem for years.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 07:03 PM)NKURyan Wrote: In a way I think it's actually a really outside-of-the-box, intriguing move. The coaching staff basically looked at their defensive roster, acknowledged the weakness at the linebacker position, and said screw it, let's just run extra guys out there on the line and in the secondary. I think a lot of coaches would've kept some of our bums at the position just because of the old "we have to have X number of linebackers" philosophy, but this... is kind of interesting.

The supposed tradeoff to this is that it leads you more open to being beat by TEs and RBs in short yardage and in the middle of the field but, ummm... that was happening anyways in our standard package and would've continued to happen this year. Might as well concede that point and focus on areas they can actually improve.

I've been excited to see the new offense all offseason, but I'm actually more interested in seeing our defensive approach now too.

I feel like we played 2 LB A LOT last year with 3 safeties. I'm fairly sure we did this against the Saints A LOT using Fej like a LB and they shredded us.

Not sure this is anything new.

New would have been...actually signing an external LB that was an upgrade. I'm not sure that doing nothing is a good strategy.
Reply/Quote
What’s the timeline on Fej returning anyway?

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 07:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like we played 2 LB A LOT last year with 3 safeties. I'm fairly sure we did this against the Saints A LOT using Fej like a LB and they shredded us.

Not sure this is anything new.

New would have been...actually signing an external LB that was an upgrade. I'm not sure that doing nothing is a good strategy.

You'd be wrong, because Clayton Fejedelem was out there for only 17 snaps that game (less than 25% of the game).

One of those external LBs you wanted them to sign was just cut by the Oakland Raiders. How exactly would signing yet another old past his prime LB have been either new or an upgrade?
Reply/Quote