Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Camp updates, pictures?
In most years, seems like someone always posts a thread with a boatload of stories, pictures and videos of Bengals training camp. Last year was weird, with Covid and all. Are they still shutting public out this year?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 07:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In most years, seems like someone always posts a thread with a boatload of stories, pictures and videos of Bengals training camp.  Last year was weird, with Covid and all.  Are they still shutting public out this year?

Besides using the bridge, the public is allowed in for 3 practices.  Saturday at PBS..free tickets are required.  Also Aug 7 and 8, tickets by lottery but entries are already closed. 

I haven't seen any media pictures from today

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I’ve seen some clips on the Bengals app, but agreed I’m used to someone posting updates and tweets on here.
Reply/Quote
James Rapien and Ben Baby have been doing a decent job with updates.

Rapien has been doing short videos.

Day 1: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrows-back-three-observations-from-the-cincinnati-bengals-first-training-camp-practice (highlights at the bottom.)
Day 2: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-goes-deep-plus-clips-of-jamarr-chase-and-trae-waynes
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 08:04 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’ve seen some clips on the Bengals app, but agreed I’m used to someone posting updates and tweets on here.

here are some of the tweets

[color=#8899a6][size=x-small]  

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 08:14 PM)pally Wrote:

Rolling left...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 08:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Rolling left...

That was impressive.

Reply/Quote
Looks like it's not just the offense making waves in camp. It also seems that the defense is making some impressive plays, as well.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/30/bengals-defense-showing-big-attitude-training-camp/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2HzkRHboSxzcIGGAuW5wQb35q9vB2E9gTzrS2zjw1NhbkGydg0G07DGZs

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals had some newfound bite on the defensive side of the ball last year thanks to the arrival of guys like Vonn Bell (remember that JuJu hit?).

But the Bengals hope to turn that up another notch this summer.

So far, it sure sounds like the defense isn’t just better, it’s got even more attitude, as depicted by Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com:

“The defense, restricted in the spring from rushing the passer (or anything else for that matter), looked a bit feistier, particularly in coverage. New vet safety Ricardo Allen ripped the ball out of running back Trayveon Williams’ hands, new middle linebacker Logan Wilson blew up a swing pass to wide receiver Tee Higgins in the backfield and reliable safety Vonn Bell knocked away a pass ticketed to rookie tight end Thaddeus Moss.”

Logan Wilson is the big name there, as they have huge expectations for him in the heart of the unit. Ditto for Bell after what he flashed last year. Also interesting is Ricardo Allen getting a mention — he was a low-key signing who could have staying power on the 53 because of his versatility, with notable plays like the above providing a boost.

So while as fun as it is to focus on say, Joe Burrow going perfect in a 7-on-7 drill, this summer isn’t exactly shaping up to be a cakewalk for the offense.

And when the defense is better like this, the offense should improve in kind. It’s the type of serious momentum and trial by fire both units need to start packing on marks in the win column

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Joey B isnt running the 11on11's right?

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 04:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looks like it's not just the offense making waves in camp.  It also seems that the defense is making some impressive plays, as well.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/30/bengals-defense-showing-big-attitude-training-camp/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2HzkRHboSxzcIGGAuW5wQb35q9vB2E9gTzrS2zjw1NhbkGydg0G07DGZs

Ahhh good ole Geoff. You're paid to write and know about the team. Thad Moss a rookie yeah? Wish I could have his job security. 

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 07:15 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Ahhh good ole Geoff. You're paid to write and know about the team. Thad Moss a rookie yeah? Wish I could have his job security. 

If he's not a rookie, what were his stats for last season?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 07:47 PM)pally Wrote:

That's the way it should be to start training camp.  The Defense should always be miles ahead of the offense to get things rolling.  Now, if we're still reading things like that in 3 weeks?  Either the Defense is really good, or the Offense is really weak.  Personally, I tend to think that this team is just trending toward what a typical football team looks like, at this point in the season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If he's not a rookie, what were his stats for last season?

What were Jonah Williams/William Jacksons stats his rookie year?

Even NFL.com has him at "Experience: 2" as in he's heading into his second year. Dude's not a rookie. He's not eligible for the Rookie Team, or Rookie of the Year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 08:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What were Jonah Williams/William Jacksons stats his rookie year?

Even NFL.com has him at "Experience: 2" as in he's heading into his second year. Dude's not a rookie. He's not eligible for the Rookie Team, or Rookie of the Year.

I'm not discounting the technicalities of what you are saying.  However, if he's a second year player, tell me what his stats were for the team he played on last year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 09:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not discounting the technicalities of what you are saying.  However, if he's a second year player, tell me what his stats were for the team he played on last year.

The same as Carson Palmer's stats his rookie year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It's no secret that I've been a huge fan of the Mike Hilton acquisition.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/7/30/22588174/mike-hilton-can-be-bengals-x-factor-in-2021?utm_campaign=cincyjungle&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&fbclid=IwAR3RJdeERqGipw8es3VeMLIRbbVBAiXfz_VH5D25GwlvHzab057MppV4z_I

Quote:As the Bengals were revamping the secondary this off-season, we saw Mike Hilton turn from foe to friend very quickly.

The sixth-year veteran out of Ole Miss spent the last four seasons as a starter in the Steelers’ defensive backfield, and it didn’t take long for him to establish himself as one of the premier slot cornerbacks in the game. Hilton comes to the Queen City to replace Mackenzie Alexander, who in his own right, had a solid single season in Cincinnati.

In terms of coverage, Hilton is one of the top slot corners in the NFL. Per PFF, Hilton has graded in the 93rd percentile in slot coverage every season since 2017, his first as a full-time starter. In a division with receivers like JuJu Smith-Schuster and Jarvis Landry, having a premier coverage corner manning the slot is extremely valuable. The league seems to just now be catching on to how valuable a great slot corner can be.

Coverage will obviously be the main area of focus, but Hilton can provide much more than that.

Perhaps the most intriguing part of Hilton’s game is his ability to get after the passer. That’s right, we now have a cornerback that can get into the backfield and disrupt plays.

With a PFF grade of 81.5 on pass rush attempts, it is clear that Hilton can and will make an impact in that area, when given the opportunity. It is hard to imagine defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo having that ability in the room and not utilizing it on game days .

Since 2017, Hilton is tied for third among all defensive backs in the NFL at generating pressures in the backfield. With a Bengals defense that finished 26th in total defense last year and was only able to work up 17 sacks in 2020, that new dynamic will be welcomed from the outside edge of the defense.

Be sure to check in to the training camp updates floating around the web over the next few days. Chances are, you’ll hear about Hilton being used in ways you may not expect to hear about from the “third” cornerback on a team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 09:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not discounting the technicalities of what you are saying.  However, if he's a second year player, tell me what his stats were for the team he played on last year.

Wait, you’re not serious are you? His stats have nothing to do with how many years he has been in the league. Your years in the league is based on how many years you’ve been employed and have had the opportunity to play. He had that last year, stats or not. So he’s in his second year. I hope youre either being intentionally obtuse or just messing around because that is scary if you truly question if he’s a rookie or not.
Reply/Quote
Why the argument about a Hobson article. He obviously made a mistake. His articles almost always have a mistake and are poorly written and edited. I've said this before, I seriously don't see how he keep his job as the guy writing articles.

On to the content though, I think this defense has some attitude and Lou is going to show some people some things this year.
Reply/Quote