Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can we come together as Bengals fans for a while?
I know we as Bengals fans get used to not having a lot to cheer about but to be honest this forum is starting to get a little toxic from the constant fighting and dour negativism going on.

The season is over - it is what it is and us getting into internet fights over it won't change it. Blame Andy, don't assign him any responsibility, blame Zac, don't blame him, whatever. We went 2-14 and obviously have areas where we need to improve.

Can we discuss them without taking shots at each other?

We have Free Agency coming up and then the draft, where we have the #1 pick in each round. Hopefully we come out of the draft with key contributors who get the team into contention again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think everybody agrees we have the worst owner in the NFL. Outside of that we're going to disagree on everything else.

WTS, I do agree we have some toxic personalities
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think everybody agrees we have the worst owner in the NFL. Outside of that we're going to disagree on everything else.

WTS, I do agree we have some toxic personalities

Of course we're going to disagree on stuff - we're individuals not clones from a common source Big Grin

I was just thinking people can disagree while keeping it cordial. 
Reply/Quote
Fans are very passionate about their teams and ours is no different. When we are losing, tensions and opinions ignite much quicker than normal. Although in most cases it's understandable, insults and name calling is never understandable, nor acceptable. I strongly urge everyone to report inappropriate behavior and it will be investigated as quickly as one of us see the complaint. However, if it's just an individual or two that seems to get under the skin, I encourage using the ignore feature. It's not perfect, but it definitely makes the experience more enjoyable. After all, we're all just here to have fun.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 03:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: I know we as Bengals fans get used to not having a lot to cheer about but to be honest this forum is starting to get a little toxic from the constant fighting and dour negativism going on.

The season is over - it is what it is and us getting into internet fights over it won't change it. Blame Andy, don't assign him any responsibility, blame Zac, don't blame him, whatever. We went 2-14 and obviously have areas where we need to improve.

Can we discuss them without taking shots at each other?

We have Free Agency coming up and then the draft, where we have the #1 pick in each round. Hopefully we come out of the draft with key contributors who get the team into contention again.

A city like Cincinnati ought not to have a NFL team given the city’s size. But it does and fans ought to be grateful. Not to Mike Brown because he’s a bungler but to the franchise. Out were I’m living pro teams have fled the toxic politics of Oakland, CA. At one time the Golden State Warriors won championships at an Oakland address. At one time the NFL’s Raiders had an Oakland address. All gone now. The A’s want to stay but the city’s hate for business and wealthy owners is making it hard for them to stay. 

Enjoy your fall and winter Sundays!
Reply/Quote
It depends. Can I be excited about drafting an exciting new QB without being told how stupid I am for thinking it will matter?

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:12 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: A city like Cincinnati ought not to have a NFL team given the city’s size. But it does and fans ought to be grateful. Not to Mike Brown because he’s a bungler but to the franchise. Out were I’m living pro teams have fled the toxic politics of Oakland, CA. At one time the Golden State Warriors won championships at an Oakland address. At one time the NFL’s Raiders had an Oakland address. All gone now. The A’s want to stay but the city’s hate for business and wealthy owners is making it hard for them to stay. 

Given our size? We have like 2 million + people in our metro area. We’re plenty big enough for an NFL franchise.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It depends. Can I be excited about drafting an exciting new QB without being told how stupid I am for thinking it will matter?

Why not? I'm asking we be more cordial not that we all repeat the same things like a bunch of drones. I think it is entirely possible a top of the draft QB can matter here for example. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:12 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: A city like Cincinnati ought not to have a NFL team given the city’s size. But it does and fans ought to be grateful. Not to Mike Brown because he’s a bungler but to the franchise. Out were I’m living pro teams have fled the toxic politics of Oakland, CA. At one time the Golden State Warriors won championships at an Oakland address. At one time the NFL’s Raiders had an Oakland address. All gone now. The A’s want to stay but the city’s hate for business and wealthy owners is making it hard for them to stay. 

If the Reddit poster is to be believed (and the numbers seem pretty close to numbers I've read in the past), Cincinnati is 16th in size based on media markets (blackout area population).

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/wt1sr/list_of_nfl_teams_by_media_market_size/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

To the op, agreed. We don't have to all agree but it would be good if everybody could be positive over the positives at least.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It depends. Can I be excited about drafting an exciting new QB without being told how stupid I am for thinking it will matter?

Here is a perfect example of what I was talking about.  

Some people disagreed with Nicomo without ever calling him stupid.  So basically he is saying "Can I be excited about drafting an exciting new QB without anyone disagreeing with me?"
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is very rare anywhere and pretty much nonexistent on the internet.

When someone says "I am right and you are wrong" they are saying "I am smarter than you", and that is going to automatically trigger a defensive reaction.  The more it goes back and forth the stronger it gets.

And our society embraces this.  Sports analyst can't just have an "opinion" they have to have a "hot take" or extreme position, and this is what sells on the most popular shows.  In politics we have a President who talks like a child on a schoolyard playground and many people think he is the greatest.  Many elected officials and political analysts from both sides have been acting like this for years.

And we are a subculture (Bengals fans) and this forum is our own little corner of reality. So why can't we try to be different in here - to appeal to our better selves? Disagreement while still being cordial!
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: And we are a subculture (Bengals fans) and this forum is our own little corner of reality. So why can't we try to be different in here - to appeal to our better selves? Disagreement while still being cordial!

What do you mean by "being cordial".  

The mods try to eliminate personal attacks, and most of the really heated debates around here are not full of personal insults.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a perfect example of what I was talking about.  

Some people disagreed with Nicomo without ever calling him stupid.  So basically he is saying "Can I be excited about drafting an exciting new QB without anyone disagreeing with me?"

Wrong. I’m specifically talking about the OTT Dalton super fans that were straight up attacking people like that Oswalds Legacy (who said the board sucks and went MIA) and a couple others I won’t mention by name since they’re still posting here. It’s fine if you don’t agree with me, but ffs let people be excited for a little while. We couldn’t even enjoy Burrow’s game against OU without multiple threads being started about why it won’t work out. It’s exhausting.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a perfect example of what I was talking about.  

He's not saying that at all; he was getting holes poked through him, via snark and BS and THAT'S what I think he's referring to.

It's one thing for jpoore in the draft board to have his ridiculous and (HIGHLY) incorrect ramblings dismissed without anything more than a few pot shots, but when people are being completely, genuinely pleasant and posting their opinion, someone else taking them down a peg with snark and passive aggressiveness, it's just so unnecessary and nobody wants to be around that.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll go to the old standby:

Winning fixes everything.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wrong. I’m specifically talking about the OTT Dalton super fans that were straight up attacking people like that Oswalds Legacy (who said the board sucks and went MIA) and a couple others I won’t mention by name since they’re still posting here. It’s fine if you don’t agree with me, but ffs let people be excited for a little while. We couldn’t even enjoy Burrow’s game against OU without multiple threads being started about why it won’t work out. It’s exhausting.

Sorry, man.  I have been deep in most of the threads here and I did not see anyone call you stupid.  All I saw was people disagreeing with your position.  If someone does resort to personal insults just report it to the mods.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: Of course we're going to disagree on stuff - we're individuals not clones from a common source Big Grin

I was just thinking people can disagree while keeping it cordial. 

Your mom's a clone from a common source.

I need work. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Come together, right now, over me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45cYwDMibGo
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
You also have to remember that being a fan of a team is about emotion.  

I love my family 100 times more than the Bengals, but during football season I will usually have my most extreme emotional experiences watching a football game.  Over the course of a year there will obviously be things that move me more than a football game, but nothing on such a regular basis as sporting events. That is why sports are so popular to watch.

Is anyone going to suggest that we should all just sit calmly when we go to the stadium to watch a game?  No.  So no one should be shocked when discussions about sports are emotional and heated.
Reply/Quote
Treating others as you want to be treated is a good place to start. Whether you agree over anything or not.
Reply/Quote