Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati ABC affiliate calling for boycott of bengals
Cry Cry Cry

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cincinnati-tv-station-calls-for-boycott-of-bengals-after-team-drafts-joe-mixon/amp/

Cincinnati TV station calls for boycott of Bengals after team drafts Joe Mixon
By John Breech Apr 29, 2017 • 3 min read

The most controversial player in the NFL Draft is already causing controversy in Cincinnati.
The ABC affiliate in the city, which could potentially be airing an NFL wild-card playoff game this season, is calling for a boycott of the Bengals following the team's selection of Joe Mixonduring the second round of the NFL Draft on Friday.
"Enough is enough, Bengals. We can excuse another season without winning a playoff game. We can't excuse drafting a player like Joe Mixon," the station wrote in an editorial. "Instead of buying a Bengals ticket this year, take the $50 or more you would have spent on that ticket and donate the money to a nonprofit that works to prevent violence against women."
As for Mixon, he sounded thankful that there was a team out there that was willing to take a risk on him.

As likely the most controversial player in the NFL Draft -- Mixon was shown punching a woman in the face on a 2014 security video -- the former Oklahoma running back had no idea when he was going to be drafted this week, so when the call finally came from the Bengals, he got emotional.
"You know, I am still sitting here crying. I can't believe it. I can't believe it," Mixon said in a conference call, via ESPN.com. "You know, I am thankful and very honored to be a part of -- to be a Cincinnati Bengal."
Mixon was viewed as such a risk in the draft that 28 of the league's 32 teams reportedly took him off their draft board. Fortunately for Mixon, the Bengals weren't one of those teams.
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has seen the video, which shows Mixon throwing a punch that left Ameila Molitor with several fractured bones in her face, and he's not trying to downplay what happened.

"I don't know who isn't disgusted with what they saw," Lewis said on Friday.
The Bengals coach then added that it's time for Mixon to "move forward."
"That's one day in a young man's life, and he's had to live that since then and he will continue to have to live that, and he gets an opportunity to move forward and write his script from then on," Lewis said. "It's come to a conclusion with the young lady. They've come to their statements, her statement about how they both could've handled the day better. But again, that doesn't change it."
Mixon and Molitor reached a civil settlement in the case on April 21, although terms weren't disclosed. For Mixon, he says the entire incident changed him.

"It changed me a lot as a person, the way you think, the way you carry yourself, go about things," Mixon said. "I'm going to continue to keep doing the right thing around the community, on and off the field. And I'm going to prove to them why they kept me. Leaving from Oklahoma, I still have their name, at the end of the day. I'm going to do whatever I can to make them proud and make them happy. I'm looking forward to doing that with the Cincinnati Bengals as well."
For the Bengals, who have a well-known reputation for taking a chance on players who other teams might consider a character risk, Lewis says there wasn't really any risk with the pick because the team did its homework on Mixon.
"Joe's situation kind of came to a settlement in all ways this week, which also led us to feel better about the opportunity here and to move forward," Lewis said. "We've done all of our due diligence we can do, time spent interviewing people, everybody around him, everybody around his background, people that have coached at Oklahoma for insight regarding him and how he has carried himself since that day."
Although many fans will be able to accept Mixon, the pick could end up backfiring if the former Oklahoma running back gets into any trouble while he's in Cincinnati.

Cry

Reply/Quote
As usual the media being dopey.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I guess the Ohio fans are out of luck then. When the Browns draft Brantley they should have gotten similar feedback.
Reply/Quote
I feel like it is easy to say when it's an ABC affiliate, who doesn't have the rights to air NFL games. It would actually have some weight if they were a CBS, NBC or Fox affiliate. This is similar to all the teams coming out to say they wouldn't draft him when they A. had no shot to get him, or B. had a really good back and had no need for him.
Reply/Quote
How will I ever cope?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:49 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Cry Cry Cry

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cincinnati-tv-station-calls-for-boycott-of-bengals-after-team-drafts-joe-mixon/amp/

Cincinnati TV station calls for boycott of Bengals after team drafts Joe Mixon
By John Breech Apr 29, 2017 • 3 min read

The most controversial player in the NFL Draft is already causing controversy in Cincinnati.
The ABC affiliate in the city, which could potentially be airing an NFL wild-card playoff game this season, is calling for a boycott of the Bengals following the team's selection of Joe Mixonduring the second round of the NFL Draft on Friday.
"Enough is enough, Bengals. We can excuse another season without winning a playoff game. We can't excuse drafting a player like Joe Mixon," the station wrote in an editorial. "Instead of buying a Bengals ticket this year, take the $50 or more you would have spent on that ticket and donate the money to a nonprofit that works to prevent violence against women."
As for Mixon, he sounded thankful that there was a team out there that was willing to take a risk on him.

As likely the most controversial player in the NFL Draft -- Mixon was shown punching a woman in the face on a 2014 security video -- the former Oklahoma running back had no idea when he was going to be drafted this week, so when the call finally came from the Bengals, he got emotional.  
"You know, I am still sitting here crying. I can't believe it. I can't believe it," Mixon said in a conference call, via ESPN.com. "You know, I am thankful and very honored to be a part of -- to be a Cincinnati Bengal."
Mixon was viewed as such a risk in the draft that 28 of the league's 32 teams reportedly took him off their draft board. Fortunately for Mixon, the Bengals weren't one of those teams.
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has seen the video, which shows Mixon throwing a punch that left Ameila Molitor with several fractured bones in her face, and he's not trying to downplay what happened.

"I don't know who isn't disgusted with what they saw," Lewis said on Friday.
The Bengals coach then added that it's time for Mixon to "move forward."
"That's one day in a young man's life, and he's had to live that since then and he will continue to have to live that, and he gets an opportunity to move forward and write his script from then on," Lewis said. "It's come to a conclusion with the young lady. They've come to their statements, her statement about how they both could've handled the day better. But again, that doesn't change it."
Mixon and Molitor reached a civil settlement in the case on April 21, although terms weren't disclosed. For Mixon, he says the entire incident changed him.

"It changed me a lot as a person, the way you think, the way you carry yourself, go about things," Mixon said. "I'm going to continue to keep doing the right thing around the community, on and off the field. And I'm going to prove to them why they kept me. Leaving from Oklahoma, I still have their name, at the end of the day. I'm going to do whatever I can to make them proud and make them happy. I'm looking forward to doing that with the Cincinnati Bengals as well."
For the Bengals, who have a well-known reputation for taking a chance on players who other teams might consider a character risk, Lewis says there wasn't really any risk with the pick because the team did its homework on Mixon.
"Joe's situation kind of came to a settlement in all ways this week, which also led us to feel better about the opportunity here and to move forward," Lewis said. "We've done all of our due diligence we can do, time spent interviewing people, everybody around him, everybody around his background, people that have coached at Oklahoma for insight regarding him and how he has carried himself since that day."
Although many fans will be able to accept Mixon, the pick could end up backfiring if the former Oklahoma running back gets into any trouble while he's in Cincinnati.

Cry

Boycott?

Strong action and I hope they realize boycotts can flow both ways when advertisers and fans who disagree take their action
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I read about this couple days ago. It was Channel 9 News's editorial board that came out with that statement for what it's worth.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
They put up that call for action in a way just to get people to like them and be on their high horse. Since that call, they've had 17 articles on the Bengals
Reply/Quote
Here's an idea. Let's brand a guy for life for what happened when he was a teenager and still maturing. I get the Pacman hate, the Vontez hate....etc...but FFS, let's give the kid a chance to grow up.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess the Ohio fans are out of luck then.  When the Browns draft Brantley they should have gotten similar feedback.

The Browns likely did get pressure. Their GM made a statement that they might waive him depending on what happens.

When you take a guy that hit a woman...I think 80-90% of people will be against it. The ones that aren't...are the fans of the team.
Reply/Quote
This shit is just getting ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
It's a "look how outraged we are" article in their effort to prove that they are offended and hurt more than the actual victim.
Reply/Quote
They're just in it for their share of the attention pie. We'll make it about us and then we'll get noticed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
What I think Mixon did was wrong, but if that girl did what I heard she did then u don't care too much. It's still definitely overkill and he shouldn't have done it, but she shouldn't have spit on him, call him a n***er, and push him.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 03:50 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: What I think Mixon did was wrong, but if that girl did what I heard she did then u don't care too much. It's still definitely overkill and he shouldn't have done it, but she shouldn't have spit on him, call him a n***er, and push him.

I am in the side that is okay moving past it, but not really cool with justifying it.

I will say am tired of the "hitting a woman" part being emphasized. Our legal system does not differentiate between hitting a woman or a man, I am not sure it does us as a society to. If he knocked out a 120lb man just as violently versus a woman there should be as much outrage, unfortunately there wouldn't be.
Reply/Quote
I think my thing is that the media are VERY selective about who they complain about.

Are there good character guys in the NFL? Absolutely.

However, there aren't too many weeks that pass without an arrest. Is a DUI less of an offense than hitting a woman? Probably. Although a DUI could result in an accident that kills multiple people. DUI's basically get a free pass from the media.

How about repeat offenders of the drug policy?

None of these things are acceptable...but some get more attention. I think that because of having Burfict and Jones on the roster that the Bengals are a target.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 03:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am in the side that is okay moving past it, but not really cool with justifying it.

That's where I'm at too. It was horrible. You'll never be able to talk me into thinking that she had it coming.

Lets just call it what it is and that's a horrible action and hope that he learned from it...which from his interviews I'd say he has.
Reply/Quote
An ABC affiliate trying to get people to tune in to their station when most people are going to be watching football? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 03:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think my thing is that the media are VERY selective about who they complain about.

Are there good character guys in the NFL? Absolutely.

However, there aren't too many weeks that pass without an arrest. Is a DUI less of an offense than hitting a woman? Probably. Although a DUI could result in an accident that kills multiple people. DUI's basically get a free pass from the media.

How about repeat offenders of the drug policy?

None of these things are acceptable...but some get more attention. I think that because of having Burfict and Jones on the roster that the Bengals are a target.

Positive Rep, great post
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The funny part was in the comments section where someone had the nerve to claim the Bengals will do whatever it takes to win.
Reply/Quote