Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colin Kapernick benches self for National Anthem
Best take I seen on this was Jason Whitlock who said it's Colin's way of quitting WITH the money. He already lost his starting job and in short he's not very good. It's a shame too, he's actually the guy I wanted when we got Andy Dalton. Bigger,faster, bigger arm,etc. If they keep him, they owe him another 15 million here soon, I don't think he wants cut, he's trying to avoid getting cut, collect the additional 15 mil and kick back. Pure waste of talent, but I think he has over rated himself vastly and he will get cut. I don't see anybody picking him up, either; they'd be better off with Tebow, he at least has shown he can be a winner and a leader. Oh yeah, he can indeed do what he wants during the National anthem, anybody can but the only statement he's making is a lack of respect. Sell that big house and car, get an apartment and a minivan, donate the majority of your salary to whomever you feel can make the most impact, and you'll be making a statement.
(08-30-2016, 11:19 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Yeah I'm a pretty liberal guy, though I did serve in the military as did a lot of the men in my family.  My thoughts are this, if I'm CK...I'd be more worried about my role on the team.  I admit, I'm a strait white male, so I can't exactly put myself in minorities shoes.  I try to understand, but I will probably never fully understand as much I'd like to.  At any rate, I don't hate the guy for it.  Apparently he feels strongly about it.  Also that being said, I still think this is a great country, despite it's faults.  I will always stand for the anthem and put my hand over my heart. 

Right.  I have quite a few African American friends, close enough that we can talk about this stuff on a real level.  Sure they're upset, and they also know some of these instances (Milwaukee comes to mind), are being overblown by the media, which just fans the flames even higher.  I get a much better understanding about what they are going through from these conversations.  I am very grateful for that.  I saw a lot of the racism first hand, hanging out with them, and playing sports with them in some less than hospitable environs.  That was 20 years ago, I just assumed things had improved drastically since then.  They have improved, but not as much as they should have.  I understand his angst, but he's barking up the wrong tree here. 

All of that said, even they acknowledge our anthem.  Also, thank you and your family for going to bat for all of us.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Anyone else think that this is brought on by his probable benching and that his ego is telling him that it's impossible with as talented as he perceives himself to be, so it must be racism that has the white guy starting ?
He also has the accused racist Chip Kelly as coach, to support his delusion.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
A real easy way to point out how meaningless this "protest" is; how many countries on this earth have a spotless history? How many countries on this earth have no ongoing social issues? The answer in both cases would be zero. Now, how many countries would have afforded this guy the opportunity he has? The answer is in the single digits. STFU and stand for the anthem, find a way to protest what you perceive as injustice in a way that actually, you know, combats that injustice. If he paid for one disadvantaged kid to go to college for four years he'd have done more with that action than this stupid, look at me, stunt.
(08-30-2016, 12:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A real easy way to point out how meaningless this "protest" is; how many countries on this earth have a spotless history?  How many countries on this earth have no ongoing social issues?  The answer in both cases would be zero.  Now, how many countries would have afforded this guy the opportunity he has?  The answer is in the single digits.  STFU and stand for the anthem, find a way to protest what you perceive as injustice in a way that actually, you know, combats that injustice.  If he paid for one disadvantaged kid to go to college for four years he'd have done more with that action than this stupid, look at me, stunt.

Abso-damn-lutely.

(08-30-2016, 12:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A real easy way to point out how meaningless this "protest" is; how many countries on this earth have a spotless history?  How many countries on this earth have no ongoing social issues?  The answer in both cases would be zero.  Now, how many countries would have afforded this guy the opportunity he has?  The answer is in the single digits.  STFU and stand for the anthem, find a way to protest what you perceive as injustice in a way that actually, you know, combats that injustice.  If he paid for one disadvantaged kid to go to college for four years he'd have done more with that action than this stupid, look at me, stunt.

"Freedom"

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-30-2016, 12:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: "Freedom"

Mellow

Dur.  I didn't say he couldn't do it, I stated why he shouldn't do it.  Apparently this kind of "subtlety" confuses you.
(08-30-2016, 12:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dur.  I didn't say he couldn't do it, I stated why he shouldn't do it.  Apparently this kind of "subtlety" confuses you.

Quote:"STFU and stand for the anthem"
(08-29-2016, 01:41 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: The right to not stand for the anthem or pledge allegiance to it, is everything the flag is about. That freedom to make your own decision based on what you believe is the most American thing ever.

I disagree with this whole-heartedly. The most "American Thing ever" is not choosing to disrepect your country during time of allegiance. The most American thing ever is a society that does not formally persecute you if you choose not to.

What CK did was not the most American thing ever.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Yes, you quoted my opinion.  See, freedom cuts both ways, he has the freedom to do what he did and I have the freedom to have an opinion on it.  Kindly cram your sanctimony.  Smirk
(08-30-2016, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I disagree with this whole-heartedly. The most "American Thing ever" is not choosing to disrepect your country during time of allegiance. The most American thing ever is a society that does not formally persecute you if you choose not to.

What CK did was not the most American thing ever.

He didn't disrespect his country.

He didn't salute the flag and stand for the national anthem...neither of which are required for respecting anythng.
(08-30-2016, 12:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, you quoted my opinion.  See, freedom cuts both ways, he has the freedom to do what he did and I have the freedom to have an opinion on it.  Kindly cram your sanctimony.  Smirk

Certainly.  I also can opine that your opinion seems to be very angry at someone expressing their personal freedom while you express yours.
(08-30-2016, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: He didn't disrespect his country.

He didn't salute the flag and stand for the national anthem...neither of which are required for respecting anythng.

I'd say plenty of combat vets would vehemently disagree with this, in fact, one on your own team seems to think it was disrespectful.

(08-30-2016, 12:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: Certainly.  I also can opine that your opinion seems to be very angry at someone expressing their personal freedom while you express yours.

You always perceive anger in others.  I think that says far more about you than everyone else.  I find this to be an empty gesture to the nth degree, my comment was dismissive of his action and my response was worded accordingly.  But please feel free to stay in GMDabo mode.
(08-30-2016, 12:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You always perceive anger in others.  I think that says far more about you than everyone else.  I find this to be an empty gesture to the nth degree, my comment was dismissive of his action and my response was worded accordingly.  But please feel free to stay in GMDabo mode.

Smirk

Anyway, I think he has every right to do it and I don't care if he does. That's all part of living in the land of the free. Everyone else is also "free" to have an opinion about his actions but they never changes his right to do it. Nor my belief that we should NEVER be FORCED to salute a flag, or sing an anthem, or stand for one...or feel like it is required.
(08-30-2016, 12:38 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I'd say plenty of combat vets would vehemently disagree with this, in fact, one on your own team seems to think it was disrespectful.

When the Anthem is played we are normally given instruction on what to do to show respect. If you do not choose to do this you are not showing respect (disrespect).

Quick check on learning. Which person in the below photo is showing respect to his country?

[Image: everafterimages.jpg]

Now given some in this photo may be disrespecting out of ignorance as opposed to with intent.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-30-2016, 12:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You always perceive anger in others.  I think that says far more about you than everyone else.  I find this to be an empty gesture to the nth degree, my comment was dismissive of his action and my response was worded accordingly.  But please feel free to stay in GMDabo mode.

This is how I see it, empty.  Now, if he uses the attention and furor created by it to actually do something to improve the situation or invest into the community, then we can talk about it being noteworthy.  I'm waiting......

(08-30-2016, 12:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: Smirk

Anyway, I think he has every right to do it and I don't care if he does.  That's all part of living in the land of the free.  Everyone else is also "free" to have an opinion about his actions but they never changes his right to do it.  Nor my belief that we should NEVER be FORCED to salute a flag, or sing an anthem, or stand for one...or feel like it is required.

Please quote the post in which I stated he should be forced to do anything.  You're not good enough at trolling that it's not completely obvious when you engage in it.
(08-30-2016, 12:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd say plenty of combat vets would vehemently disagree with this, in fact, one on your own team seems to think it was disrespectful.

And they can feel that way.  I am not one for thinking that a flag or a song or a statue or anything is more important than the freedom they stand for.  

Want to burn a flag? Sit during the anthem? Not put your hand over your heart?  Good for you.

Want to do all those things?  Good for you too!

There are some people who think if you don't wear an American Flag pin while running for office you don't love America enough. I find it all silly.
(08-30-2016, 12:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd say plenty of combat vets would vehemently disagree with this, in fact, one on your own team seems to think it was disrespectful.

I swore to defend and protect the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. NOT THE SSB
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]