Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combine Results - Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
(03-04-2017, 09:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Ran a 4.34 on his pro day and according to one of the commentators during the combine, the time teams put up on their big board isn't the electronic combine time, but the time they hand time at pro days.

Core didn't run the 40 at his Pro Day.  He ran the short shuttle in 4.34.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2016/3/28/11293386/2016-nfl-draft-potential-panthers-ole-miss-pro-day

"The Rebels other receiver Cody Core looked exceptional. Shuttle times from Core included 6.78 seconds in the 3-cone and a 4.34-second short shuttle. I'm told he looked great in position drills, running crisp routes and catching everything thrown his way."

In any case, Ross was a full quarter of a second faster than Core on the same track using the same electronic timing.  That's a huge difference.  We need deep speed, and we need somebody other than AJ that can make game changing plays on offense.  Saying we don't need Ross because we have Core would be akin to saying we don't need a replacement for Zeitler because we have Westerman.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:20 PM)Okeana Wrote:

I would take this guy over a big bodied slow receiver any day.  The only problem is can dalton throw it far enough to utilize his speed.

I'm sorry, but after the play at 11:09, Ross has got owe A'doree Jackson's mom back child support, because A'doree is going to be calling him "Daddy" for the rest of his life.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 02:16 AM)Whatever Wrote: I'm sorry, but after the play at 11:09, Ross has got owe A'doree Jackson's mom back child support, because A'doree is going to be calling him "Daddy" for the rest of his life.

He didn't break the guy's ankles.  He broke his spine.

Man, would I love to line him up against the Steelers twice a year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 01:42 PM)McC Wrote: Well, I wouldn't exactly say Tyler Kroft has cemented his spot on the roster.  Would be a hedge against Eifert's annual injuries too.  Could be somebody too good to pass on falls int their laps too.

How about a blocking TE who can catch a little?  We don't really have one of those.  Some of Marvin's best offenses have been when there is a really good blocking TE.  Are there any of those in this class?  The dual threat guys are few and far between.  They say OJ Howard can do it all.
Jake butt in the third.... A first rounder if not for the injury. Jason witten 2.0
(03-04-2017, 08:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it's very telling of Mike Williams not running the 40. There were a lot of WRs in the 4.4's, and I don't think Mike Williams would have even hit 4.55. He's a big target, but he lacks some athleticism and explosion. More and more, I think the speculations of him running 4.6+ could be accurate and he wanted to avoid having that happen so his draft stock didn't drop.
Well hell run it at his pro day. I feel like something was holding him back at this combine nagging injury etc. He didnt participate in any of the agility drills as well as the 40.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 04:08 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Jake butt in the third.... A first rounder if not for the injury. Jason witten 2.0
Well hell run it at his pro day. I feel like something was holding him back at this combine nagging injury etc. He didnt participate in any of the agility drills as well as the 40.

Would be nice to see you have a more open mind about other players instead of bringing up the same few over and over in many other threads.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 05:41 AM)pulses Wrote: Would be nice to see you have a more open mind about other players instead of bringing up the same few over and over in many other threads.

There arent really a lot of blocking and catching tight ends in the draft and seems like butt has flown beneath the radar. Everyone talks about njoku and howard and rightfully so but butt is the best as a combination. I was responding with what i felt was the best blocking and catching tight end.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 05:49 AM)Jpoore Wrote: There arent really a lot of blocking and catching tight ends in the draft and seems like butt has flown beneath the radar. Everyone talks about njoku and howard and rightfully so but butt is the best as a combination. I was responding with what i felt was the best blocking and catching tight end.

Howard has been way underutilized in Bama's system. I think you're gonna find out he is the best TE in this class. I wouldn't be mad if we took him with the 9th pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 07:17 AM)pulses Wrote: Howard has been way underutilized in Bama's system. I think you're gonna find out he is the best TE in this class. I wouldn't be mad if we took him with the 9th pick.

Him and njoku are right there as the number 1 tight Ends. But as far as overall best tight end, i would take butt. He can block extremely well and can also catch really well. Njoku and howard are more explosive, butt is more reliable and can block so we would actually run 2 te seta more often.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 04:08 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Jake butt in the third.... A first rounder if not for the injury. Jason witten 2.0

Here's why Mike Williams wouldn't run the 40. 
Mike Williams Wrote:Long season...[I] haven't had much time to prepare for it, so I'm going to take this week and next week to prepare for it and run it at my pro day.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18815725/mike-williams-clemson-tigers-run-40-yard-dash-scouting-combine-says-run-pro-day\\

I just don't buy it. Most often, players run the 40 at the combine regardless, then decide to run again at pro day based on how they do at the combine.
To me, it sounds like he was worried he'd run a poor 40.

I trust the combine 40 timing more than pro days. Neutral location, doing it with more than just your teammates, not used to the field. Besides, the 40 times at pro days are all hand-timed IIRC. Combine is laser timed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Bucky Hodges had a nice combine

6'6 257
4.57 40
39 vertical
11-2 broad
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 10:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Here's why Mike Williams wouldn't run the 40. 
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18815725/mike-williams-clemson-tigers-run-40-yard-dash-scouting-combine-says-run-pro-day\\

I just don't buy it. Most often, players run the 40 at the combine regardless, then decide to run again at pro day based on how they do at the combine.

I trust the combine 40 timing more than pro days. Neutral location, doing it with more than just your teammates, not used to the field. Besides, the 40 times at pro days are all hand-timed IIRC. Combine is laser timed.

i get that but then why didnt he participate in any of the agility drills either? If it was just the 40, then id agree with you.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 11:02 AM)Jpoore Wrote: i get that but then why didnt he participate in any of the agility drills either? If it was just the 40, then id agree with you.

Possibly for the same reason? It's well documented that he lacks explosiveness. He only posted a 32.5" vert, which is below average, but he makes up for it with his size. His game is much more out-muscling opponents. He's not going to run past DBs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 11:02 AM)Jpoore Wrote: i get that but then why didnt he participate in any of the agility drills either? If it was just the 40, then id agree with you.

Mike Williams is Keenan Allen.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Mike Williams is Keenan Allen.

That would be pretty sweet if he goes out and runs a 4.7+ 40 and we get him in the 3rd round.

Cant remember exactly what they said yesterday. Something like Treadwell is the only receiver to run a 4.6+40 and go in the 1st round in a long time. And after 1 year he isnt helping any slow guys get in to the first
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 12:50 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That would be pretty sweet if he goes out and runs a 4.7+ 40 and we get him in the 3rd round.

Cant remember exactly what they said yesterday. Something like Treadwell is the only receiver to run a 4.6+40 and go in the 1st round in a long time. And after 1 year he isnt helping any slow guys get in to the first

No way he gets out of the first. He runs a 5 second 40 he still goes in the first. Teams value tape way more than times.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 12:53 PM)Jpoore Wrote: No way he gets out of the first. He runs a 5 second 40 he still goes in the first. Teams value tape way more than times.

Im not ruling it out. Being able to create seperation is huge. He wont get into the first with a 4.7 40. 

His contested catch win rate will go down against NFL CBs. College CBs are already able to stay all over him. 

I like him. I just think the lack of speed will hurt his draft stock. If he runs a 4.5 he is right back in top 10 consideration.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 10:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Here's why Mike Williams wouldn't run the 40. 

Didn't seem to affect someone like O.J. Howard. 
Reply/Quote
Under no circumstance would I spend the 9th pick on a guy like Williams. Last year Treadwell was that surefire top 10 guy and look at what happened with him. I just don't see why everyone thinks this guy is so great. He is one of the worst route runners in this draft.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Mike Williams is Keenan Allen.

Just as injury prone or without the injuries?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 03:00 PM)Okeana Wrote: Under no circumstance would I spend the 9th pick on a guy like Williams.  Last year Treadwell was that surefire top 10 guy and look at what happened with him.  I just don't see why everyone thinks this guy is so great.  He is one of the worst route runners in this draft.

I like Williams, but his not running the 40 and not showing well in the events he did participate in definitely hurts his stock in my book.  His Pro Day will be pretty important.
Reply/Quote