Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congrats Geno
(12-23-2018, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He was a non-factor. Only 2 solo tackles/no assists. Chubb ran all over us, too.

When the Bengals shut out other teams best D player, is it because the player isn’t good or isn’t trying? Again, Geno is like number 20 on what’s wrong with the team.
Reply/Quote
Geno plays for the Bengals and unless he leaves and gets a trophy with another team, there is no chance at being a first, second or third ballot HOFer. Veteran committee, maybe.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 11:08 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: When the Bengals shut out other teams best D player, is it because the player isn’t good or isn’t trying? Again, Geno is like number 20 on what’s wrong with the team.

If it ever happens I’ll let you know...

(Myles Garrett didn’t have any sacks today but he was a force all day)

But seriously, I’ve seen you jump on AJ Green for dropping a ball here and there and declare it the reason Geno is our best player. Is it not fair to criticize Geno when he’s not making an impact for entire games at a time? It doesn’t have to be sacks, but how about pressures, TFL, not letting an opposing RB run for 112 yds, etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 11:03 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Geno has 10 sacks and 5 more tackles than Chris Jones has. He’s not too far off. Are they playing next to equally good linemen? All I’m saying is that sacks don’t tell the whole story.

Jones has 11 more solo tackles than Geno which is telling. Buckner from SF has 17 tackles more than Geno and 1 more sack. He has 6 more than Geno has had in any season. We sometimes have blinders and can't see that our revered heroes aren't as great as we think.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 11:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If it ever happens I’ll let you know...

(Myles Garrett didn’t have any sacks today but he was a force all day)

But seriously, I’ve seen you jump on AJ Green for dropping a ball here and there and declare it the reason Geno is our best player. Is it not fair to criticize Geno when he’s not making an impact for entire games at a time? It doesn’t have to be sacks, but how about pressures, TFL, not letting an opposing RB run for 112 yds, etc.

It’s true that I’ve jumped on AJ at times. Obviously, every player has off games, including Geno. If the ball is in your hands and you drop it, it’s a bigger individual play than not getting a sack. You either catch the pass or you don’t. There’s more grey areas as a Dlineman.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 11:31 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Jones has 11 more solo tackles than Geno which is telling. Buckner from SF has 17 tackles more than Geno and 1 more sack. He has 6 more than Geno has had in any season. We sometimes have blinders and can't see that our revered heroes aren't as great as we think.

What is your suggestion? Should Geno be replaced this next year? Are all of these players on the field for a similar amount of plays? I’d imagine that every team out there would gladly pick up Geno.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 11:49 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: What is your suggestion? Should Geno be replaced this next year? Are all of these players on the field for a similar amount of plays? I’d imagine that every team out there would gladly pick up Geno.

My suggestion is better coaching. Geno is too good a player to be such a non-factor.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 11:49 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: What is your suggestion? Should Geno be replaced this next year?  Are all of these players on the field for a similar amount of plays? I’d imagine that every team out there would gladly pick up Geno.

Definitely not but to overpay for our aging vets while completely ignoring top tier free agents isn't a good plan. Our team is handcuffed when it comes to having a winning strategy. When you give 34 million to aging d-linemen and ignore the needs in other areas didn't work and the plan doesn't seem to be changing soon. Mikes plan to spend the salary cap on vets while ignoring winning teams plans are stupid. "The NFL is a copy cat league" but how many teams are copying the Bengals? NONE
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 07:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why is it so hard to just be honest and say he was not a factor again today?

Even the announcers said we desperately needed a defensive playmaker like Geno to step up and make a play at the end of the game to give us a chance. It didn’t happen.

I'm gonna give Jesse Bates credit....yeah, he whiffed, but he took a calculated gamble on the INT on the big play to Njoku that sealed the game.  Had he made the pick, we may have been in position to send it to OT.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 12:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm gonna give Jesse Bates credit....yeah, he whiffed, but he took a calculated gamble on the INT on the big play to Njoku that sealed the game.  Had he made the pick, we may have been in position to send it to OT.

Our biggest problem on D is that no one makes plays.  DB's running step for step with receivers almost all day and only once did any of them make a play on the ball.  Defenders in the offense's backfield and none of them make the tackle.  Too many times we were there but couldn't make the play.  It's the story of our season.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 07:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Just keep being happy with mediocrity. Exactly what Mike Brown expects out of this fan base.

List all the DTs better than Geno.

Prove that Geno is just "mediocre" or be quiet.
Reply/Quote
You can't expect great pass rushing stats when losing 16-0 going into half with -15 passing yards. Teams have to give their guys situations to rush the passer.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 10:36 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Definitely not but to overpay for our aging vets while completely ignoring top tier free agents isn't a good plan.

Yeah, getting rid of aging vets is why Whitworth is gone.

So tell me which DT we should have signed instead of extending Geno.  If you have a better idea then I'll listen, but to me it seems likeyou are just complaining because Geno does nto domiinate every game.  Like I said before, even Aaron Donald has 6 games with zero sacks this season.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: List all the DTs better than Geno.

Prove that Geno is just "mediocre" or be quiet.

Mediocre in certain games or stretches of games.

Cherry pick some useless stats that proves he never has bad stretches or be quiet.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, getting rid of aging vets is why Whitworth is gone.

So tell me which DT we should have signed instead of extending Geno.  If you have a better idea then I'll listen, but to me it seems likeyou are just complaining because Geno does nto domiinate every game.  Like I said before, even Aaron Donald has 6 games with zero sacks this season.

Sacks are not everything. Garrett was disruptive as all hell last week against us even without having a sack. Geno I didn’t notice all day.

And yes I’m sure Garrett has games where he’s not a factor, and if I was a Browns fan I’d call him out for it. If it happens once in a blue moon that’s one thing, but if it happens a lot the player deserves some criticism. But homers like you will always refuse to admit that.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, getting rid of aging vets is why Whitworth is gone.

So what other team was going to steal Geno for more than the 19 million we are going to pay him after the year he has had. I guess you have no problem paying ten percent of the salary cap to two players whose skills are diminishing? This defense was horrible and most ofyou can't even admit that the core of the defense(Atkins, Dunlap,Burfit) has any responsibility for the decline. You need to be a little more objective. I would venture that had we not signed he and Dunlap we would have gotten a lot more production out of them. If not they would be a lot cheaper this coming season.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 12:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mediocre in certain games or stretches of games.

Cherry pick some useless stats that proves he never has bad stretches or be quiet.

You did not answer my question.

List all the DTs better than Geno.  Prove that he is just "mediocre".

You said we should not have paid Geno, then tell us which DT we should have signed instead.

No player is perfect all the time.  People who say that should be thre standard are not being realistssic.  They set impossible goals just because they love to complain.

If you want to complain about geno then tell us who you aould havce playing DT for the bengals instead of him if yoiu were in charge.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 02:01 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So what other team was going to steal Geno for more than the 19 million we are going to pay him after the year he has had. I guess you have no problem paying ten percent of the salary cap to two players whose skills are diminishing?

I live in reality.  I don't complain about something just because in "make believe land" there is a better option.

So if you were in charge of the Bengals who would you have playing for us instead of Geno and Carlos?  What option ws avaialable that was better?
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 02:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I live in reality.  I don't complain about something just because in "make believe land" there is a better option.

So if you were in charge of the Bengals who would you have playing for us instead of Geno and Carlos?  What option ws avaialable that was better?

I would have let them play out their contracts. How much help could the team have gotten with the 15 million extra they gave Atkins? Sometime the team needs to push all in and take a chance of getting a championship instead of coasting along biding its time just to make the Brown family richer.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You did not answer my question.

List all the DTs better than Geno.  Prove that he is just "mediocre".

You said we should not have paid Geno, then tell us which DT we should have signed instead.

No player is perfect all the time.  People who say that should be thre standard are not being realistssic.  They set impossible goals just because they love to complain.

If you want to complain about geno then tell us who you aould havce playing DT for the bengals instead of him if yoiu were in charge.
Are you ok Fred? I've noticed you have been typing like you are stuttering. Get a grip man.
Reply/Quote