Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Cat Bounce in full effect
Im ready to move on from Dalton or at least groom his replacement next season. One game where he plays with a little fire isnt going to convince me that Dalton will remain that way. He lacks fire and leadership ad thats why we suck so bad in the playoffs and prime time under him.

As far as coaches. Im up in the air but leaning on the side of "meh". I havent been impressed with the offensive playcalling or the defense most of the season. That said there is a part of me that would like to see what the coaches could do with more talent. Looking at this roster, it seems similar to someone asking me to build a pimped out fireplace mantle with nothing but cracked up pine furring strips. There is just not much good that can come out of that. Releasing Preston Brown was like addition by subtraction because we have gotten better every week since he was cut. Another failed LB choice by Marvin, who was the worst LB evaluator Ive ever seen. Not too mention getting Dennard back has been a nice boost. The D is showing signs of life and they look a bit better than last year even with less help from the O imo.

On offense I think Zac has been afraid to really open up the playbook because we cant even get the basics down. Our QBs have had about 1.2 seconds before defenders are closing in fast most of the season. Go thru their reads is more like hurry up and get rid of the ball asap before you get killed. Just not much you can do with that. I would hate to be an OC with this roster. Its a potential career killer. Im not saying Zac is a really good play caller, but I dont think hes as bad as this roster has forced him to be. Coaches arent wizards who can conjure up magic to make players play above their skill level. The holes we have in this roster were here before Zac was hired. Injuries held back whatever he did to start fixing it when Williams and Glenn got hurt.

Bottom line, if we had Williams at LT and Glenn at G all season, and AJ healthy I think we could've won some more games despite our OL woes. Glenn is nothing more than average at LT, but him being in there has been noticeable. The pocket looks better to the eyes. Just going from terrible blockers to average blockers would actually help this team with how bad it is.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 08:24 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Im ready to move on from Dalton or at least groom his replacement next season. One game where he plays with a little fire isnt going to convince me that Dalton will remain that way. He lacks fire and leadership ad thats why we suck so bad in the playoffs and prime time under him.

As far as coaches. Im up in the air but leaning on the side of "meh". I havent been impressed with the offensive playcalling or the defense most of the season. That said there is a part of me that would like to see what the coaches could do with more talent. Looking at this roster, it seems similar to someone asking me to build a pimped out fireplace mantle with nothing but cracked up pine furring strips. There is just not much good that can come out of that. Releasing Preston Brown was like addition by subtraction because we have gotten better every week since he was cut. Another failed LB choice by Marvin, who was the worst LB evaluator Ive ever seen.  Not too mention getting Dennard back has been a nice boost. The D is showing signs of life and they look a bit better than last year even with less help from the O imo.

On offense I think Zac has been afraid to really open up the playbook because we cant even get the basics down. Our QBs have had about 1.2 seconds before defenders are closing in fast most of the season. Go thru their reads is more like hurry up and get rid of the ball asap before you get killed. Just not much you can do with that.  I would hate to be an OC with this roster. Its a potential career killer. Im not saying Zac is a really good play caller, but I dont think hes as bad as this roster has forced him to be. Coaches arent wizards who can conjure up magic to make players play above their skill level. The holes we have in this roster were here before Zac was hired. Injuries held back whatever he did to start fixing it when Williams and Glenn got hurt.

Bottom line, if we had Williams at LT and Glenn at G all season, and AJ healthy I think we could've won some more games despite our OL woes. Glenn is nothing more than average at LT, but him being in there has been noticeable. The pocket looks better to the eyes. Just going from terrible blockers to average blockers would actually help this team with how bad it is.

Come on man...we'd be 10-6 if we had a healthy Andy all year.  Sarcasm Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 02:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Come on man...we'd be 10-6 if we had a healthy Andy all year.  Sarcasm Hilarious

Well...I was thinking more like 6-10 lol. We are a couple years away from much the way it seems. Unless Mike Brown allows someone to really go at it in free agency which is unlikely, I feel like we are a couple seasons away from plugging all these holes and having depth.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 05:01 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Well...I was thinking more like 6-10 lol. We are a couple years away from much the way it seems. Unless Mike Brown allows someone to really go at it in free agency which is unlikely, I feel like we are a couple seasons away from plugging all these holes and having depth.

The NFL is the ultimate worst to first league with parity. That parity doesn't apply to us though!

But yes - we need to plug holes and IF we rely on the draft...guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap will need replaced by the time the young guys are producing.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 07:51 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: I like the Jets.

I hate the 49ers; they knocked us out of two NFL Championships. 

I like the Patriots, why?

Because the Steelers hate them because they tied them with 6 NFL Championships.

You mentioned a number of teams, but failed to mention the Steelers.  Ninja  

I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Clowns, the Ratbirds, the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Pirates, the Cardinals, Michigan, and Notre Dame combined.  And I loathe all of them. But I don't reflexively give the finger to cars with insignia of those teams. Only the yellow and black.

The only reason I omitted Pittsburgh from my list of games I want to win is because we've already been beaten by them twice and they're not on the schedule any more.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 08:29 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Clowns, the Ratbirds, the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Pirates, the Cardinals, Michigan, and Notre Dame combined.  And I loathe all of them.  But I don't reflexively give the finger to cars with insignia of those teams.  Only the yellow and black.

The only reason I omitted Pittsburgh from my list of games I want to win is because we've already been beaten by them twice and they're not on the schedule any more.

You failed to mention the 49ers.

Yet you mention the Yankees???

Those are fighting words mister .... Rant Smack

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 04:01 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: You failed to mention the 49ers.

Yet you mention the Yankees???

Those are fighting words mister .... Rant Smack

[Image: giphy.gif]

Threw in Yankees especially for you, my friend.  And I have more respect than hatred for SF.  It's our fault they had Bill Walsh. 

BTW how bout that 1976 World Series?!?  :-)
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 06:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No need to root for them to lose. Watch and enjoy when it's good and just don't get mad when they're playing bad and losing. Then you just reason that the loss will lead to better players. 

Exactly, no one is rooting for them to lose, we just don't want to win out and lose the 1st pick of the Draft and for 
Mikey to think we are on the up and up so we don't need any help in FA. The dead cat bounce helps nothing.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 08:24 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Im ready to move on from Dalton or at least groom his replacement next season. One game where he plays with a little fire isnt going to convince me that Dalton will remain that way. He lacks fire and leadership ad thats why we suck so bad in the playoffs and prime time under him.

As far as coaches. Im up in the air but leaning on the side of "meh". I havent been impressed with the offensive playcalling or the defense most of the season. That said there is a part of me that would like to see what the coaches could do with more talent. Looking at this roster, it seems similar to someone asking me to build a pimped out fireplace mantle with nothing but cracked up pine furring strips. There is just not much good that can come out of that. Releasing Preston Brown was like addition by subtraction because we have gotten better every week since he was cut. Another failed LB choice by Marvin, who was the worst LB evaluator Ive ever seen.  Not too mention getting Dennard back has been a nice boost. The D is showing signs of life and they look a bit better than last year even with less help from the O imo.

On offense I think Zac has been afraid to really open up the playbook because we cant even get the basics down. Our QBs have had about 1.2 seconds before defenders are closing in fast most of the season. Go thru their reads is more like hurry up and get rid of the ball asap before you get killed. Just not much you can do with that.  I would hate to be an OC with this roster. Its a potential career killer. Im not saying Zac is a really good play caller, but I dont think hes as bad as this roster has forced him to be. Coaches arent wizards who can conjure up magic to make players play above their skill level. The holes we have in this roster were here before Zac was hired. Injuries held back whatever he did to start fixing it when Williams and Glenn got hurt.

Agreed, Dalton has shown what he has. Keep him another year to groom our early pick and then let him go and be a 
serviceable QB for someone else. He is a decent QB but we need someone special around here that plays with that fire
in the big games. We need to delve into FA and get O-line and LB help then add a QB early in the draft and continue to
draft at these positions.

Glenn is a good pass protector, always has been but he is just soft in the run blocking department.

Excited to see Jonah at LT next season. Also liked Pratt in the Jets game, he is much better than Vigil or Preston and it
shown big time in this game. He didn't have a great game but he shown good instincts and was in position most of the
time which is more than I can say for any of our Linebackers not named Hubbard who is just a stud. Hubbard is so 
versatile and he should only grow year after year.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:10 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Those people need to realize that we beat the Jets, not the Patriots.

jets were on a role.... And its not like we outrank anyone on anything this year... except losses we are winning the hell out of that for the moment.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 07:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: jets were on a role.... And its not like we outrank anyone on anything this year... except losses we are winning the hell out of that for the moment.

Wouldn't it be cool if after beating the Jets, the Bengals somehow managed to beat the Patriots?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, it's that time, once again.  The Bengals season is officially in the tank, yet they'll reel off a few meaningless victories, and people will confuse that with actual improvement.

In fact, it's already happening.  I'm already seeing some fans on here singing Andy Dalton's praises, and lauding Lou Anarumo for the much improved defense.   LOL

My god I couldn't have said it any better and it absolutely drives me up the wall when this happens!!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 07:33 PM)GodFather Wrote: My god I couldn't have said it any better and it absolutely drives me up the wall when this happens!!!!

Yep.  Our DL was able to take advantage of an OL that is currently worse than ours, due to injuries.  Andy came out and played with a chip on his shoulder, and actually engineered a drive or two.  Things that pro ball players are paid to, and expected to do, every time they hit the field.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 07:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wouldn't it be cool if after beating the Jets, the Bengals somehow managed to beat the Patriots?  

Doubt that happens but you never know if that Defense shows up. Just need to keep up that tackling which we have not 
seen much of this season besides the Seattle and Jets games. We have a pass rush when they turn it on. But like you said
that Jets O-line was banged up pretty bad. We need to have that pass rush even against the best with these guys.

That is the only way you beat Brady, beat Brady literally.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 08:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doubt that happens but you never know if that Defense shows up. Just need to keep up that tackling which we have not 
seen much of this season besides the Seattle and Jets games. We have a pass rush when they turn it on. But like you said
that Jets O-line was banged up pretty bad. We need to have that pass rush even against the best with these guys.

That is the only way you beat Brady, beat Brady literally.

Well, we once beat him in a monsoon.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 08:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, we once beat him in a monsoon.

Hey, that IS something.

But it was good timing, as was the walking tree's pass deflection. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

Only time i was in Cincy, even. 
Reply/Quote

We beat him in the dress rehearsal preseason game in 04 too. Shut down Corey Dillon as well. In the regular season it was a lil different though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 08:29 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Clowns, the Ratbirds, the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Pirates, the Cardinals, Michigan, and Notre Dame combined.  And I loathe all of them. But I don't reflexively give the finger to cars with insignia of those teams. Only the yellow and black.

Not me... Baker Hayseed and his shithead antics pushed the Browns over the top. Throw in OBJ, and the helmet swing, and you have my most hated team . All the Steelers are gone.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I want to win out. Losing sucks.
Reply/Quote