Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Derogatory/Disparaging terms/names/remarks
It's probably good for your own mental well being to tone it down a tad, but I don't disagree much about your assessment of the Brown family.. 
After all, I could go on and on and on about the woman that abandoned my children as babies and left me to look after them their entire childhoods, but it does me no good and doesn't change a thing. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 08:59 PM)samhain Wrote: I respect any decision the moderators make and will gladly comply with any conduct policy be it new or old.

I have to say, however, I don't get all of the hand-wringing over the Inbreds nickname.  Aside from being absolutely hilarious, it's far from the worst thing that's ever been said respective of a person/group of people that a given poster may dislike.
It would have been funny as hell, had you said it once, and let it go by...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It would have been funny as hell, had you said it once, and let it go by...

Well, I probably would have and intended to in the beginning, but, well, reasons.  

As I said, I can't claim that I came up with the name, but I really thought it would have been great if it became a thing much like Stoolers, Ratbirds, Stains, The Rapist, Turds, Meat Chicken, etc.  You know, like just part of the vernacular that would eventually spread to the greater community.  
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:13 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, I probably would have and intended to in the beginning, but, well, reasons.  

As I said, I can't claim that I came up with the name, but I really thought it would have been great if it became a thing much like Stoolers, Ratbirds, Stains, The Rapist, Turds, Meat Chicken, etc.  You know, like just part of the vernacular that would eventually spread to the greater community.  

Just think of this as our stepping back from the ledge moment. Now if anyone other than Joe Burrow is picked first round all bets are off and go ahead and get a running start then JUMP!  HEAD FIRST!  ThumbsUp

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 08:59 PM)samhain Wrote: I respect any decision the moderators make and will gladly comply with any conduct policy be it new or old.

I have to say, however, I don't get all of the hand-wringing over the Inbreds nickname.  Aside from being absolutely hilarious, it's far from the worst thing that's ever been said respective of a person/group of people that a given poster may dislike.

If this is the aim of the COC, I have to ask:  Are we still permitted to call the Steelers and their fans things like Stoolers?  Are we going to keep slinging around the Rapist or Rapistberger nicknames for Ben?  I mean, is it worse to call someone literal feces or inbred?  Is it worse to call a very specific person a rapist?  

How bout calling the Browns the Turds or the Stains?  

The Brown family is, in the view of many fans, every bit the enemy of the success we want for this team as any rival.  They have been a civic disgrace and a generally malignant presence in the NFL and Greater Cincinnati communities since the moment that Paul Brown passed away.  I guarantee that many of the fans that they have somehow managed not to alienate over their multiple decades of stupidity/greed have said far worse about them and will continue to.  

They management group are public figures.  Very public, as they've managed to continue securing their wealth with the aid of the Hamilton County taxpayer.  Insulting a fellow board member is out of bounds.  If I've done so, then I regret it.  However, I will never apologize for disparaging or derogatory remarks about the people profiting off of the misery they provide this fanbase with regularly.  

The mods of this board and fans of this team deserve better.  I apologize if I made anyone feel the need to "squeal" about something I said about the family.  However, the Brown family deserves nothing but hate and derision.  If I need to tone that back here, so be it.

So, those are some good questions. My take is that as far as things like Turds/Ratbirds/Squealers/etc...it's just normal 'smack' like other fans calling us the Bungles.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: ThumbsUp

It has noting to do with people thinking MB sucks. This is your board. It's all about being respectable to one another and having good conversations without going for the throat each time a poster types something another doesn't agree with. Most of us are very frustrated with the season, but we should never attack one another. 

In a nutshell, the members of this site are gold. We have had some miserable years and some great ones. We have held on to a team that brings mainly ridicule and disrespect from family and friends. Heck, I hear it just about everyday. So I guess this board, this year, is our support group. Smirk We should be kind to each other.  

I’m pretty civil with everyone on here but I’m sure that I’ve cursed on here about MB. I don’t wish him ill or anything but the dude is frustrating. Samhain has a good point though. It would be a little hypocritical to also allow stuff being said about opponents just because we don’t like them.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:13 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, I probably would have and intended to in the beginning, but, well, reasons.  

Do you not see the difference between an accused rapist and an old man who doesn’t run a football team very well?

Do you remember how much Mike Brown helped Devon Still when his daughter was sick? The guy is not pure evil...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So, those are some good questions. My take is that as far as things like Turds/Ratbirds/Squealers/etc...it's just normal 'smack' like other fans calling us the Bungles.

I think they're very legitimate questions.. And I don't have a problem asking all of us to dial it back. It's easy to go overboard in the heat of a game when emotions are at their highest, but there comes a point where it's just piling on and being rude and inconsiderate of others.. especially in the off season..

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Do you not see the difference between an accused rapist and an old man who doesn’t run a football team very well?

Do you remember how much Mike Brown helped Devon Still when his daughter was sick? The guy is not pure evil...

2 time accused rapist

To put in perspective, I am 62 years old and yet to be accused of rape or sexual assault so not that tough to avoid a charge like that, just don't do it. I hope Ben is innocent, but tough  to believe twice he was falsely accused.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:21 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’m pretty civil with everyone on here but I’m sure that I’ve cursed on here about MB. I don’t wish him ill or anything but the dude is frustrating. Samhain has a good point though. It would be a little hypocritical to also allow stuff being said about opponents just because we don’t like them.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't care one bit what you call the fans/players/coaches of division rivals.  I don't want to be responsible for turning Smack Talk into a patty cake session.  
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 06:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Name calling and personal attacks have also been on the rise lately, and in numerous threads. I would ask that everyone try to avoid doing that, because it does nothing but derail the threads and turn them into pissing matches between posters, which we don't need...and is also a violation of the rules that we're going to start cracking down on.

I understand this season has been rough and everyone has their own strong views and opinions on this franchise and what should be done, but fighting with each other - for those doing it with insults and attacks - will only result in not being able to express your thoughts because you're not doing it within the rules. 

If you can't disagree or make an argument without resorting to that stuff, then just move onto another thread or take a break from posting for awhile.  Whatever

I go on vacation and the board falls apart...haha.

Happy New Year everyone! More to life than football.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Do you not see the difference between an accused rapist and an old man who doesn’t run a football team very well?

Accused is the key word and the term has been used consistently for almost a decade straight.  We have a verifiable, on video, no escaping it woman beater on our roster. Like literally broke some girl's face.  Daddy Warbucks Brown that you praise here knew this before the fact and drafted him.  

Do you honestly think that Ben Roethlisbeger has never donated to a charitable cause in his time as a public figure?  

Mike Brown isn't an aw shucks Mr Magoo.  He's a grifter that held the city hostage for a terrible stadium deal.  He's plenty evil.  He cares about himself, his immediate family, and not much else. The things he does are calculated and shitty at their core. Are they rape? Obviously not. They still aren't good and he's most definitely a whole lot more than just a guy that runs a team poorly.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I go on vacation and the board falls apart...haha.

Happy New Year everyone! More to life than football.

I’ll give you credit, Pistons, you’re probably one of the most negative posters here, but I’ve never seen you get nasty about it, or resort to childish humor.

You just remind us about the exact number of days and hours since our last playoff win too often. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:35 PM)samhain Wrote: Accused is the key word and the term has been used consistently for almost a decade straight.  We have a verifiable, on video, no escaping it woman beater on our roster.  Daddy Warbucks Brown that you praise here knew this before the fact and drafted him.  

Do you honestly think that Ben Roethlisbeger has never donated to a charitable cause in his time as a public figure?  

Mike Brown isn't an aw shucks Mr Magoo.  He's a grifter that held the city hostage for a terrible stadium deal.  He's plenty evil.  He cares about himself, his immediate family, and not much else. The things he does are calculated and shitty at their core. Are they rape? Obviously not. They still aren't good and he's most definitely a whole lot more than just a guy that runs a team poorly.

I’m done. This is pointless.

Reply/Quote
Remember, the bengal rule is if you're going to offend a fellow member, pause first, and offend a stain, squeeler or winged charcoal instead politely. Bros before foes.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:28 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: 2 time accused rapist

To put in perspective, I am 62 years old and yet to be accused of rape or sexual assault so not that tough to avoid a charge like that, just don't do it. I hope Ben is innocent, but tough  to believe twice he was falsely accused.

I've heard stories living near Pittsburgh too where fans see Ben and he isnt very friendly to put it mildly. He did get married and has kids now...and may have changed...but I dont know.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:35 PM)samhain Wrote: Accused is the key word and the term has been used consistently for almost a decade straight.  We have a verifiable, on video, no escaping it woman beater on our roster.  Like literally broke some girl's face.  Daddy Warbucks Brown that you praise here knew this before the fact and drafted him.  

Mike Brown isn't an aw shucks Mr Magoo.  He's a grifter that held the city hostage for a terrible stadium deal.  He's plenty evil.  He cares about himself, his immediate family, and not much else.  The things he does are calculated and shitty at their core.  Are they rape?  Obviously not.  They still aren't good and he's most definitely a whole lot more than just a guy that runs a team poorly.

Dude give it up.

You are literally arguing the difference between foul words. Try actually discussing football on a football forum.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've heard stories living near Pittsburgh too where fans see Ben and he isnt very friendly to put it mildly. He did get married and has kids now...and may have changed...but I dont know.

Heard plenty of bad stuff about his time at Miami (OH) too. Could be bs, but there’s a lot there.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m done. This is pointless.

I agree.  Have a nice night.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ll give you credit, Pistons, you’re probably one of the most negative posters here, but I’ve never seen you get nasty about it, or resort to childish humor.

You just remind us about the exact number of days and hours since our last playoff win too often. Tongue

Haha. Honestly...my problem isnt with individual posters. I just want this team to win in the playoffs.

Some of us are vocal about disapproval. Others with find the tiniest positive. Neither is right or wrong.

The 1 win year has just been especially brutal...when we are used to mediocre or average.

I feel like if I sat by you all at a game that we'd probably have a good time.
Reply/Quote