Poll: Did Trump do right thing by lying?
Yes.
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Trump do the right thing when he lied about the coronavirus?
I vote "No". I believe the only reason he did it was to protect the economy in an election year.

He has constantly used fear and panic to get people to support him. (See: Invasion of diseased Mexican criminals, Biden wants to destroy suburbs, Democrats want to destroy America, etc.) So I don't believe him when he said he was just trying to avoid a panic.

What made him believe people would not panic when the disease started spreading and killing thousands of people?
Reply/Quote
No, and there are too many reasons to even mention for why I said no and what even needs to be said at this point?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I vote "No". I believe the only reason he did it was to protect the economy in an election year.

He has constantly used fear and panic to get people to support him. (See: Invasion of diseased Mexican criminals, Biden wants to destroy suburbs, Democrats want to destroy America, etc.) So I don't believe him when he said he was just trying to avoid a panic.

What made him believe people would not panic when the disease started spreading and killing thousands of people?

He wanted to avoid a panic that would effect the economy, and votes.

A caravan of central American refugees laced with ISIS and Al Qaeda fighters and funded by George Soros is not that kind of panic.
Reply/Quote
I know I'll get ridiculed for this, but from my perspective he was trying to prevent mass hysteria. Just like down playing something that might scare the heck out of one of your children when describing it to them.

I don't believe lying is a good trait but if we knew everything our presidents have hidden from the public over the years we'd probably never come out of the house or trust our government ever again.

Dill, you may not be far off about protecting votes but I also feel the liberal media is pushing panic to make Trump look bad and steal votes.

BTW there should at least be 1 "Yes" vote. I misread the wording and clicked "No" on accident.
Reply/Quote
Of course not.

His downplaying it from the beginning, by saying things like the regular flu kills more than Covid does, and then not endorsing wearing masks reinforced too many un-informed opinions. Many of which these opinions are still being held today. Even a few days ago, I have seen people on twitter and elsewhere saying the regular flu is more deadly. I believe a lot of this ignorance goes back to Trump and the right wing media not hammering him enough on it.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:46 PM)Mer Wrote: I know I'll get ridiculed for this, but from my perspective he was trying to prevent mass hysteria. Just like down playing something that might scare the heck out of one of your children when describing it to them.

I don't believe lying is a good trait but if we knew everything our presidents have hidden from the public over the years we'd probably never come out of the house or trust our government ever again.

Dill, you may not be far off about protecting votes but I also feel the liberal media is pushing panic to make Trump look bad and steal votes.

Trump being right to lie about it to avoid mass hysteria would indicate that you believe that being truthful about it would cause mass hysteria.  Therefore, if the media is causing mass hysteria are they really lying about it?

Nice of Trump to spare us from the scary truth...Make America a Safespace Again.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:46 PM)Mer Wrote: I know I'll get ridiculed for this, but from my perspective he was trying to prevent mass hysteria. Just like down playing something that might scare the heck out of one of your children when describing it to them.

LOL

Make America Great Again is based upon fear mongering.

Vote for Trump because shit will be cray cray under Biden.

Would Jesus lie?
Reply/Quote
Probably but for the wrong reasons

If he lied to avoid a panic and used the time to come up with a plan and gather supplies, ok. Instead, he used the time to blame other people for the lack of response
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No, and there are too many reasons to even mention for why I said no and what even needs to be said at this point?

Rock On
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
For the record, I have worn a mask out and about since March. I didn't wear it because of the U.S. media or because I didn't believe Trump whose legacy will be about telling countless amounts of lies and misinformation.

It was because I paid attention to what more intelligent countries like Japan and South Korea were doing to counter it. I figured when it comes to things like Covid, their opinions on how to handle it are far better than Murica's.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

BTW there should at least 1 Yes vote. I misread the wording and clicked "No" on accident.

I voted Yes for you because I would probably vote No otherwise.

I think Trump truly believes his lying was to prevent a panic, but honestly, I don't think it matters because he would've been criticized no matter what he did. Think of his China travel ban and how he was considered racist and Pelosi and others were like "C'mon on down to Chinatown!" That said, he still should've done the right thing regardless, but dude cares too much about what people think of him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:03 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Rock On

Don't rep me, I'm already going into detail.  Damn me.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump being right to lie about it to avoid mass hysteria would indicate that you believe that being truthful about it would cause mass hysteria.  Therefore, if the media is causing mass hysteria are they really lying about it?

Nice of Trump to spare us from the scary truth...Make America a Safespace Again.

The media is over-hyping it and Trump is under playing it. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: LOL

Make America Great Again is based upon fear mongering.

Vote for Trump because shit will be cray cray under Biden.

Would Jesus lie?

Of course he wouldn't lie but when did anyone ever compare Trump to Jesus?

And how is down playing a pandemic fear mongering? It's the complete opposite.

Jesus wouldn't support people that support LGBTQ agendas or abortion either, but that's for a different thread.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:07 PM)Mer Wrote: Of course he wouldn't lie but when did anyone ever compare Trump to Jesus?

You'll have to excuse him. He's vehemently anti-Christian and Republicans = conservatives = Christians.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Probably but for the wrong reasons

If he lied to avoid a panic and used the time to come up with a plan and gather supplies, ok. Instead, he used the time to blame other people for the lack of response

And continued to hold rallies understanding how it's spread and knowingly putting people at increased risk for infection and death.

Just on a personal level, that's a shitty thing to do to people.  On a leadership level, it makes him unfit for public office.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:06 PM)Mer Wrote: The media is over-hyping it and Trump is under playing it. The truth some where in the middle.

Maybe the media wouldn't have to overplay it if we didn't have a government that decided to lie to people "for their own good."  Remember when the watchdog media was supposedly there to keep our government transparent and in check?  What happened to that?

Saying it is ok for the president to decide what the people get to hear is just begging for the media to step in.
Reply/Quote

BTW there should at least 1 Yes vote. I misread the wording and clicked "No" on accident.

I think there's an argument to be made, but it flies out the window when he responded by calling reactions to it overblown, told the public it was no big deal as states sought to respond to it, and attacks efforts to enact basic precautions. 

There's a difference between keeping national security threats you're handling from the public and keeping information about public health a secret, especially when you need the public to cooperate to stop it.

It's also hard to suggest he's trying to prevent mass hysteria when he has a track record of lying to create fear and panic and when we didn't see mass hysteria in the nations impacted months before we were. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I voted Yes for you because I would probably vote No otherwise.

I think Trump truly believes his lying was to prevent a panic, but honestly, I don't think it matters because he would've been criticized no matter what he did. Think of his China travel ban and how he was considered racist and Pelosi and others were like "C'mon on down to Chinatown!" That said, he still should've done the right thing regardless, but dude cares too much about what people think of him.

Thank you.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You'll have to excuse him. He's vehemently anti-Christian and Republicans = conservatives = Christians.

Ah I forgot, the only Christian people are allowed to mock is Jimmy Carter.
Reply/Quote