Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIVE ME YOUR BENGALS DRAFT GRADES!
I've been umpiring ball games this weekend so I haven't been able to follow the draft much. Therefore I want to hear your draft grades. It would even be better if you could break them down by round and player as I am way behind on which players the Bengals picked. I don't care about pundits who don't follow our team I want to hear YOUR opinions!
Reply/Quote
I've only heard of two of the guys they've drafted... Therefore I have to give them an F.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
D- This is the worst draft in years. We picked up a mediocre center prospect and a bunch of rotational or developmental guys.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:34 PM)jason Wrote: I've only heard of two of the guys they've drafted... Therefore I have to give them an F.
You have only heard of 2 of them? That's crazy.

I've heard of them all, and all of them were projected to go sooner than they were drafted.

I think a lot of teams made some horrible picks and it allowed the Bengal to get quality pivks so far.

I'm disappointed Jones didn't quite make it til our last pick in 5th. As the seahawks drafted him 2 picks before us.

And I would have been happy grabbing another lineman by the fifth round. Yet I am very happy with the talent we have added.

We got our center.

We beefed up our cornerback and safety positions

Really nice defensive tackle

1st round prospect at defensive end

Very talented linebacker who will play with tez suspended.

Insurance policy at runningback. If there is an injury he will step in this year.

I'm very happy so far.  I wanted a center, guard, and tackle to be drafted but we really made it with guys we have selected.

I give us an A. We have hit almost every position of need with a great set of prospects.
Reply/Quote
So far A-. IMO they got the best player for their biggest need in Price.

They took some ballers on day 2 who can all contribute to ST right away and be solid rotational guys for their first year or 2 with a chance to be the foundation of the defense for years to come.

Not sold on the need to take a RB or who they took for that position. Don't know much about the rest of the day 3 guys so I won't comment other than not sure of the logic in taking two CBs. 

If day 3 would have made more sense it would have been an A or A+ for me.
Reply/Quote
Those saying F and D, get a grip.

Bengals needed O Line and Defense. They started by adding Buffalo Bills LT and LB. In Draft they got Center for O Line. Then on Defense Safety, Defensive Line, Linebacker. Then last day Running Back in 4. A CB/Safety, a D Lineman, and a Kick Returner Star in College who played CB and WR, all in Round 5.

I don't like to give grades to drafts, but since people are throwing F and D up here, I will say B for Bengals because we drafted top players at our weakest positions. We had no Blocking or Tackling. We addressed that in Free Agency and the Draft. F your F's because you don't know names of players in draft. I grade it B FOR BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
B+ or A-

Nervous about Price because of the injury but I think he'll be ok in the end
Reply/Quote
I give it a C (I don't care who they get in 7th round). MEH all the way around. To come away from this draft with ONE (1) offensive lineman is inexcusable. Passing on Connor Williams to take a 3rd safety is questionable at best. 3rd day looks like decent players who will contribute on special teams, but backups. This team's roster is not good enough to start looking for special teamers in the 4th round. 3 picks in 5th round could've been used to move up somewhere but Bengals do nothing. Better pray no injuries to Glenn, Boling or Price next year.
Reply/Quote
Billy Price C Ohio State = A+ - Obviously our biggest area of need and Price is the best run blocking Center with
the biggest upside in the Draft. Just this pick solidifies the interior and now Dalton will have a pocket to step into
and our RB's will have holes to run through. Road grading run blocker and good pass protector all the while being
a great leader. Perfect pick for us, all 3 Centers were gone before our 2nd pick. Could of been a disaster if we
waited like some were calling for us to do.

Jessie Bates III Wake Forest = A - Best ballhawk in the Draft, just what we needed at Safety. Needs to work on
his tackling, only reason this is not an A+ from me and why i wanted us to take him in the 3rd.

Sam Hubbard DE Ohio State = A - Was a 2nd round talent we got in the 3rd for our rotation. Should make MJ
vulnerable. Cannot believe we took two OSU guys. Pretty crazy, love it. Needed another End badly and Hubbard
could be a great one.

Malk Jefferson LB Texas - A+ - Wanted this guy in the 2nd as well, great size and enormous talent. Watched this
guy at Texas and he always impressed me. Was wanting this guy in stripes, surprised he fell this far. Great 3rd
round.

Mark Walton RB Miami - B+ - Only reason i don't have this pick as an A is it was not a need, but the player is a
very good RB that can do it all. Just thought we had other needs to fill. But Walton could of went in the 2nd round
if not for the injury. Could be a future ST's stud for us to replace Peerman and a great backup. But i still like Brian
Hill too, which is why this pick is still not an A in my eyes, first questionable pick.

Devontae Harris CB Illinois State - A - Big rangy, fast CB. Excellent depth with high upside.

Andrew Brown DE/DT Virginia - A+ - Crazy upside and one of the best versatile D-lineman in this Draft, maybe the
best with the highest upside. Could be the steal of the Draft in the 5th round. The more i read up on this guy the
more i like, he could be a JJ Watt type or a Frostee Rucker type, we will see.

Darius Phillips CB Western Michigan - A+ - Would of taken this guy in the 4th round, might be the best returner in
college and is a fine CB to boot. Only reason he fell is the small college, he can do it all, now we are damn deep at
CB and Safety and don't have to bring back Adam and these guys are insurance in case Dennard leaves. Still think
we better give Dennard an extension though.

So, so far an A. Hope to get some crazy talent that fell cause of off the field issues in the 7th and hope we can turn
them around.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:50 PM)tBengal Wrote: B+ or A-

Nervous about Price because of the injury but I think he'll be ok in the end

Guess you would have been nervous about Ragnow too? He also had an injury (that actually cost him games).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:58 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: I give it a C (I don't care who they get in 7th round). MEH all the way around. To come away from this draft with ONE (1) offensive lineman is inexcusable. Passing on Connor Williams to take a 3rd safety is questionable at best. 3rd day looks like decent players who will contribute on special teams, but backups. This team's roster is not good enough to start looking for special teamers in the 4th round. 3 picks in 5th round could've been used to move up somewhere but Bengals do nothing. Better pray no injuries to Glenn, Boling or Price next year.

Everyone drafted on day three most likely will be a back up for most teams, that is why they are day theee guys (other than character guys who fall). Your hope is these guys can go from back ups early on to starters eventually which I think a couple of these guys could.
Reply/Quote
I say a solid B.

They didnt reach for anyone.
Got the best center available for the biggest void on team. (imo he will be the best interior linemen we have had in a long time)
3rd to 5th round guys all seem to have some sort of upside, which is what you want.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Round 1: A+ They basically got a starting LT and Center with their 1st pick thanks to trade with Bills
Round 2 : B Great Safety that will be valuable against AFCN opponents like Brown and Josh Gordon.
Round 3: B Decent pick for a DE, seems to be a guy with a lot of drive and potential.
Round 3 (pick 2): C I think they should have taken a chance on Orlando Brown here instead.
Round 4: B- I'm okay with this, not thrilled. It adds a player that might have been drafted higher if not for injury and adds depth to RB position.
Round 5: B Like it or not CB is a position of need. I think this was a good pick for where it landed.
Round 5 (pick 2): C I think they should have grabbed guard Wyatt Teller here or OT Jamarco Jones since they didn't take Brown in round 3.
Round 5 (pick 3): C- Okay I mentioned above CB was a need but a bit over kill picking another one here for thier last pick before round 7. I think they should have picked Luke Falk here as a good backup QB and possibly a starter some day. Maybe he will fall to round 7 but doubt it.

Overall grade: B-

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
B so far.

I think our first 4 picks are great. They're not sexy, but exactly what we need. We got an upgrade at C, we drafted a playmaking safety and we also got a workhorse DE that could provide great rotational depth and we grabbed an extremely talented and athletic LB, he just needs some refinement.

As for the 4th and 5th rounds, we got good value in the rb from Miami however in my opinion we should have looked at QB or oline help here and with the next pick the CB out of Illinois St. Not so much a fan of either pick.

The last 2 5th round picks IMO were great, we got a solid rotational dlineman that can play inside/outside and we got an extremely talented CB that also offers great return skills.

With having to wait till the 7th round for the remaining 3 picks, I'm hoping we grab some oline depth and maybe a QB.

Overall a solid B
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:37 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: D- This is the worst draft in years. We picked up a mediocre center prospect and a bunch of rotational or developmental guys.

That "mediocre center" is arguably the best C in the draft. I mean he did just win the Remington award and he's a massive upgrade over Bodine. And we needed rotational players. Not every player is going to be penciled in as a starter especially considering the fact that most of our positions are already set.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Billy Price C Ohio State = A+ - Obviously our biggest area of need and Price is the best run blocking Center with
the biggest upside in the Draft. Just this pick solidifies the interior and now Dalton will have a pocket to step into
and our RB's will have holes to run through. Road grading run blocker and good pass protector all the while being
a great leader. Perfect pick for us, all 3 Centers were gone before our 2nd pick. Could of been a disaster if we
waited like some were calling for us to do.

Jessie Bates III Wake Forest = A - Best ballhawk in the Draft, just what we needed at Safety. Needs to work on
his tackling, only reason this is not an A+ from me and why i wanted us to take him in the 3rd.

Sam Hubbard DE Ohio State = A - Was a 2nd round talent we got in the 3rd for our rotation. Should make MJ
vulnerable. Cannot believe we took two OSU guys. Pretty crazy, love it. Needed another End badly and Hubbard
could be a great one.

Malk Jefferson LB Texas - A+ - Wanted this guy in the 2nd as well, great size and enormous talent. Watched this
guy at Texas and he always impressed me. Was wanting this guy in stripes, surprised he fell this far. Great 3rd
round.

Mark Walton RB Miami - B+ - Only reason i don't have this pick as an A is it was not a need, but the player is a
very good RB that can do it all. Just thought we had other needs to fill. But Walton could of went in the 2nd round
if not for the injury. Could be a future ST's stud for us to replace Peerman and a great backup. But i still like Brian
Hill too, which is why this pick is still not an A in my eyes, first questionable pick.

Devontae Harris CB Illinois State - A - Big rangy, fast CB. Excellent depth with high upside.

Andrew Brown DE/DT Virginia - A+ - Crazy upside and one of the best versatile D-lineman in this Draft, maybe the
best with the highest upside. Could be the steal of the Draft in the 5th round. The more i read up on this guy the
more i like, he could be a JJ Watt type or a Frostee Rucker type, we will see.

Darius Phillips CB Western Michigan - A+ - Would of taken this guy in the 4th round, might be the best returner in
college and is a fine CB to boot. Only reason he fell is the small college, he can do it all, now we are damn deep at
CB and Safety and don't have to bring back Adam and these guys are insurance in case Dennard leaves. Still think
we better give Dennard an extension though.

So, so far an A. Hope to get some crazy talent that fell cause of off the field issues in the 7th and hope we can turn
them around.

I agree with you on most of this, been a huge fan of Darius Phillips for a while now.

My only issue was taking Harris is 5 with Tyrell Crosby still on the board, that one is a qiesrionable call imo.

Overall pretty happy with the draft so far.
Reply/Quote
They improved their weakest area from terrible to mediocre or average at best. One more OL seemed to be necessary. How can RT not still be a big question mark? I like many of the players that they picked, they really should have added a OL though. The line will be better but still far from a strength. I’ll say a C- because they missed fixing the biggest team void.
Reply/Quote
Duke Tobin is extremely overrated personal director. The Bengals simply rarely draft quality lineman which should be the core of your team. Our best players from

2013 Eifert and Gio
2014 Dennard and Bodine
2015 Tyler Kroft and Josh Shaw

1 Price - could have probably got in the 2nd. 15 to 20 higher ranked players on the board.
2 Bates- Wannabe Ed Reed
3 Hubbard Feel good pick. Margus Hunt - Mini me Won't beat Will Clarke
4 Jefferson - Linebacker that can't cover. He'll probably start.

The rest are special teams and training camp fodder.

This is probably a solid C compared to other recent drafts. Compared to a good draft it's laughable
Reply/Quote
People need to remember that before the pectoral tear ended his combine Price was a Top 15 consensus pick. Even with it he had a first round consensus grade - and this is considered the best Center class in the last 20 years. So to trade back, get our starting LT and STILL get Price was a good piece of GMing.

Bates, Jefferson and Hubbard all also directly spoke to need areas and were drafted in line with where they were projected. Watson was a touch iffy but spoke to a need again.

So far I'd give it an A-.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:29 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: They improved their weakest area from terrible to mediocre or average at best. One more OL seemed to be necessary. How can RT not still be a big question mark? I like many of the players that they picked, they really should have added a OL though. The line will be better but still far from a strength. I’ll say a C- because they missed fixing the biggest team void.

There are 4 right tackle prospects on roster right now
Fisher
Ced
Boling
Hart
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote