Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones
(06-01-2015, 03:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: We're looking at what, A Feast for Crows this season? I lose track sometimes. If you're referring to the still lingering literary cliffhanger then we won't see that until next season, I don't think.

Anyway, I don't think Aegon is a fraud in the books, but I have a feeling that the people of the Seven Kingdoms aren't going to bother with him. When (if) Dany makes it across the sea and she still has her dragons at her command, they will be the only reason the people pay any attention to her. These are outsiders to them and unless they truly come to conquer it will be a folly.

As for the Valyrian steel, it is my understanding that the steel itself was smelted using the fire of a dragon. On the magical side of things, that can imbue some serious fire mojo. On the less fantastical side of things, if you are smelting your ore at such a temperature and then it is rapidly cooled, it could (we're talking fantasy mixed with real world here people, it doesn't have to make sense) form obsidian structures within the steel. Just a couple of thoughts there.

Mostly book 5 right now and some made up stuff.

Aegon may be the real deal if there needs to be the three headed dragon (Dany, Jon, Aegon), so maybe we see him later? Or maybe they just ignore that?

As for Valyrian steel, whether or not it has similar characteristics to dragonbone (since some have guessed that in the books), it can kill white walkers. This might put some importance in getting the two swords that Ice was destroyed to make into this fight.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 04:16 PM)BmorePat8 Wrote: This might put some importance in getting the two swords that Ice was destroyed to make into this fight.

Ehhh, once Dany shows up with her dragons they'll be able to make unlimited amounts of obsidian.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 03:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: To hop into this debate, I think what they're doing is taking the end game (since apparently GRRM told them the end game) and revising story lines to get to that point.

If there's no Aegon yet then he ultimately isn't important. Likely a fraud.

Sansa marrying Ramsay gets them to their end result with the North quicker than having the fake Arya marry him.

Introducing the White Walkers/Others now gets them into the REAL conflict of the story quicker. (Also is it now confirmed that Valyrian steel is either refined dragonbone/obsidian or at least made with it?)

Not bringing back zombie Catelyn just means his attack on the Freys wasn't that important for the storyline.

Having almost nothing about the still on going fight with the Robb's remaining men means that's not as important or can be overlooked for now.

They're going to get to the same point B as GRRM, they are just going to take a different path. It seems clear that what is important is Dany and Jon being big players in the end game. A mother ***** song of Ice and Fire. Two Targaryens going at it.

Also, any book readers know what cliffhanger will end this season. We can take a stab at guessing what it will be, right?
The "condensed version" theory would be plausible and reasonable, if not for the fact that they are expanding other characters' roles (Bron, Asha, etc.). Their roles are expanded because the audience likes them. It seems to me that Catelyn's revenge on Freys would be a real crowd pleaser.

Yes, Longclaw is Valyerian Steel and obviously Valerian Steel is effective against White Walkers. I think it probably has more to do with dragon's fire being used in the refining process. Obviously, dragon fire is going to be effective against White Walkers and at some point the two will meet. But dragons are also unruly and just as likely to kill friend as they are to kill foe.

The show is entertaining and I still watch. But I don't like some of the story changes.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Need to forge a ginormous axe out of Valyrian steel and let the Giant smash.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 04:33 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yes, Longclaw is Valyerian Steel and obviously Valerian Steel is effective against White Walkers. I think it probably has more to do with dragon's fire being used in the refining process. Obviously, dragon fire is going to be effective against White Walkers and at some point the two will meet. But dragons are also unruly and just as likely to kill friend as they are to kill foe.

One would think it will be just as important for the dragons to be used to forge new Valyrian Steel weapons - a difficult task as it is considering how few still know how to do so (we know of only one - the smith who melted down Ice) - as it will be to have the dragons go on the offensive.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 04:33 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The show is entertaining and I still watch. But I don't like some of the story changes.

I also cringe a good bit at the unncessary sexual violence that takes place in the show. They really get heavy handed with that at times, and of course taking out the most feminist characters (because the Sand Snakes suck in the show) really helps to make it more obvious that there are some issues that need resolving with those writers.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I want to see a zombie dragon (Drogon) vs the other two Dany dragons. Or vice versa. And it might be able to happen
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 05:18 PM)eoxyod Wrote: I want to see a zombie dragon (Drogon) vs  the other two Dany dragons. Or vice versa. And it might be able to happen

People would shit bricks if the White Walkers raised a dead dragon.

I didn't think about it until now, but that scene at the end shows their army will only grow with every battle (we new that, but it also looked like most of those killed were raised again)...which would be hopelessly disheartening.  Didn't think Jon Snow did a very good job of showing that, just a combination of anger and shock.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 09:19 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I just read the recap. Sounds like quite the interesting episode.

Freaking outstanding, is what it was.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 10:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: Holy crap. Theyre goona need a buttload more dragon glass.

I'm waiting for everyone to be up a creek without a paddle and at the last second, Daenarys swoops in over a mountain on Drogon and fires up the whole lot of white walkers. Then gives the Lannisters an ultimatum, get out or get burnt. 

A queen riding in on a dragon, ousting Lannisters with a Lannister at her side. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think Dany would be a great Queen, as in married to the King that rules....but her leadership and wisdom leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe Tyrion will whip her into shape, but she hasn't in the past paid much attention to her advisers. Maybe it will be different with Tyrion since he doesn't care if she chops his head off and so won't be a sycophant.

Anyway, doesn't look like she'll make it across the sea this year. Believe 2 more seasons after this one are already committed to. But on a related note, it seems like the White Walkers could make it to the gates of Castle Black this season...if that happens, probably literally in the final seconds of the season (kind of like they did 2-3 seasons ago when we first saw their undead army).
Reply/Quote
I'm kind of confused as to what Jorah's end game is though. What is he planning to do?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 07:19 PM)eoxyod Wrote: I'm kind of confused as to what Jorah's end game is though. What is he planning to do?

1) He has nowhere to go.
2) He's hoping to stay close to Dany, maybe have an opportunity for redemption
3) He has a death sentence with the grayscale.

Or perhaps he's hoping to spite her by being killed in the pits before her eyes.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 04:33 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The "condensed version" theory would be plausible and reasonable, if not for the fact that they are expanding other characters' roles (Bron, Asha, etc.). Their roles are expanded because the audience likes them. It seems to me that Catelyn's revenge on Freys would be a real crowd pleaser.

Yes, Longclaw is Valyerian Steel and obviously Valerian Steel is effective against White Walkers. I think it probably has more to do with dragon's fire being used in the refining process. Obviously, dragon fire is going to be effective against White Walkers and at some point the two will meet. But dragons are also unruly and just as likely to kill friend as they are to kill foe.

The show is entertaining and I still watch. But I don't like some of the story changes.

You can add to those fan favorites becauSe you condense it

(06-01-2015, 04:59 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: One would think it will be just as important for the dragons to be used to forge new Valyrian Steel weapons - a difficult task as it is considering how few still know how to do so (we know of only one - the smith who melted down Ice) - as it will be to have the dragons go on the offensive.

I think they specific that these people only know how to rework. They aren't sure how it is actually made. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Who else has Valyrian steel swords?

Jon Snow has one.
Jaime Lannister has one (made from Ice).
Brienne of Tarth has one (the other made from Ice that Jaime gave her).
Any more?
Reply/Quote
Before reading through the replies, that was the best non season-ending episode of all universal time. Tyrion with Dany, and Jon and the Ice King or whatever his name will be. And of course seeing what a dead army can do, World War Z style. Getting ready to watch it again!
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:57 AM)Beaker Wrote: Who else has Valyrian steel swords?

Jon Snow has one.
Any more?

I was wondering the same thing earlier today. 

I thought Jaime gave his to Brienne and since i'm not the only one wondering, i decided to cheat and google it...

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/Which_are_the_known_Valyrian_steel_swords

As far as the TV show goes, i'm only aware of 3. Possessed by Jon Snow, Brienne and now Tommen.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:57 AM)Beaker Wrote: Who else has Valyrian steel swords?

Jon Snow has one.
Any more?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel (based on book, not show)

Some good stuff there on Valyrian. According to that only 10 known pieces exist in Westeros. I wonder if it will be a possibililty down the road if Sam figures out how to make "Dragonglass" and Dany's 3 dragons help forge them or something like that.

edit:already mentioned above nm hah
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 06:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A queen riding in on a dragon, ousting Lannisters with a Lannister at her side. 

I wonder if Tyrion will get to ride a dragon?!?!?!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 02:24 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I wonder if Tyrion will get to ride a dragon?!?!?!

If he can design a horse saddle for Bran...then he can design a dragon saddle for himself.  Wink

Reply/Quote