Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Good Night Irene
(06-17-2019, 05:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell, a lot may oppose SSM; she just REALLY cared about it and did not discriminate against anyone.

Seems she would represent the United States better than any other athlete on the world stage in your opinion.  But I doubt she does.

She supported discrimination based on religious beliefs.  That does not represent the United States at all.  We oppose discrimination based on religious beliefs.
(06-17-2019, 05:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are right.  Forget about Trump.  What about ANY president who says the United States has problems that need to be fixed?

Sure, any candidate should be able to question current policies and practices. I just don't think the should be allowed kneel during the Anthem if they are chosen to represent our country and flag. But that's just me.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-17-2019, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Always good to get varying opinions. I find it to be hypocritical of her as she benefits (endorsements) from being on the National Team; yet she kneels for oppression. If you feel that strongly about your country and its oppression why represent it?

Couple things.

I don't think Rapinoe is kneeling for any one issue, but as a general discourse. I support that. Also, since you bring up money, female players earn a third less than male players on the same "team." 

Quote:Also I don't require folks giving the same support to Jaelene Hickle when she refused to wear the gay pride jersey the team wore. Matter of fact she got quite a bit of hate for it and was black-balled from the team.

I'm ok with her not wearing the jersey for religious reasons. The jersey was just the numbers, if I remember right. I thought it was kind of silly to begin with.
(06-18-2019, 12:17 AM)Benton Wrote: Couple things.

I don't think Rapinoe is kneeling for any one issue, but as a general discourse. I support that. Also, since you bring up money, female players earn a third less than male players on the same "team." 

I'm ok with her not wearing the jersey for religious reasons. The jersey was just the numbers, if I remember right. I thought it was kind of silly to begin with.

As I said: I just inquired if anyone's opinion changed when the person kneels for the exact same thing they are representing. And I've gotten a resounding answer. 

Perhaps she should choose not to represent the country if she feels so strongly. 

You guys should really watch the Dictator's team to see what real courage is. It's not someone that curses the very umbrella that shields them. 

(06-17-2019, 05:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What? That's not at all what happened.

Forget it.  He's rolling.
(06-18-2019, 12:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: I just inquired if anyone's opinion changed when the person kneels for the exact same thing they are representing. And I've gotten a resounding answer. 

Perhaps she should choose not to represent the country if she feels so strongly. 

You guys should really watch the Dictator's team to see what real courage is. It's not someone that curses the very umbrella that shields them. 

Again, why?

She can love her country and want to represent it while still questioning certain aspects of the country.

she didn't take an oath to simply do as she is told and keep her mouth shut.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-17-2019, 05:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But that's just me.

I want to give you credit for admitting this.  And i notice that you admit this all the time in many threads.

Most people who take silly positions on issues that can't be supported by anything are unwilling to admit that they are just presenting their own unsupported oponion.
(06-18-2019, 12:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It's not someone that curses the very umbrella that shields them. 

You mean the umbrella that banned them from the military and supports discrimination against them based on religious grounds?
Figured this was as good as a place as any for this.

Who knew the Flag of the 13 Original Colonies was racist?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nike-recalls-shoe-after-colin-kaepernick-raises-racial-concerns-044445358.html

Quote:In a decision that will thrust Nike into the spotlight of corporations walking a tightrope between product and historic symbolism, the athletic giant has pulled an American flag-themed shoe from circulation after former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick expressed concern to the company about selling apparel he says features a slave-era emblem.

I wonder if Colin would play for the Patriots?

(07-02-2019, 10:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured this was as good as a place as any for this.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nike-recalls-shoe-after-colin-kaepernick-raises-racial-concerns-044445358.html

It's not the American flag (one of at least) from the slave-era?

More to the point it wasn't just Kaepernick raising concerns, per the article:

Quote:According to a source who spoke with Yahoo Sports, Nike began a movement to pull the shoe from stores nearly two weeks ago after Kaepernick and others raised concern that the “Betsy Ross Flag” printed on the heel of the company’s 4th of July-themed Air Max 1 was not only racially insensitive, but had also been adopted by some groups such as the Patriot Movement and Identity Evropa (pronounced “Europa”) allegedly as a symbol of white nationalism.

Nike spokesman Mark Rhodes released a statement Monday declaring: “Nike has chosen not to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July as it featured an old version of the American flag.”

A source who went into more detail about the decision told Yahoo Sports that a significant part of the shoe’s removal from circulation stemmed from complaints from Kaepernick and others about the symbolism of the Ross flag, which rose to prominence in the 1790s. Further backlash began to build on a smattering of social media platforms last week, while Nike began quietly recalling the shoes from stores as debates over the sensitivity of the product bubbled up on sneaker-centric accounts.

The “Betsy Ross Flag” features 13 stars in a circle representing the United States’ original 13 colonies. As concern over white nationalism has become a spotlight issue in recent years, the Ross flag has for some risen as a symbol of controversy as it’s reportedly been adopted by some movements.

One of the most nationally-publicized moments spotlighting the alleged symbolism occurred in Michigan in 2016, when students from largely-white Forest Hills Central High brought the Ross flag and a Donald Trump “Make America Great Again” banner to a high school football game against Grand Rapids Ottawa Hills — a school which has a minority enrollment over 90 percent.

Following a complaint about the flag and banner, Forest Hills Public Schools Superintendent Daniel Behm apologized for the incident in a published letter. In it, he said the Forest Hill Central students had “[waved] a historical version of our flag, that to some symbolizes exclusion and hate” and “injects hostility and confusion to an event where no one intended to do so.”

The president of the Greater Grand Rapids Branch of the NAACP Cle Jackson later blasted the students’ use of the Ross flag in comments to Michigan Capitol Confidential, calling it a symbol that had been adopted by “[t]he so-called ‘Patriot Movement’ and other militia groups who are responding to America’s increasing diversity with opposition and racial supremacy.”

Those were feelings Kaepernick passed on when he shared his concerns with Nike about the Ross flag being a slavery-era symbol, a source told Yahoo Sports. Not long after, the company began moving to recall the shoes, which had already been shipped to stores throughout the country. It’s unclear how many of the shoes — if any — made it into public hands. It’s also not clear what Nike intends to do with the apparel now that it has been recalled.

Unfortunately times change and many of the older symbols take on new meaning thanks to our distance from them and how new groups identify with them.

It's a shame really.
(07-02-2019, 10:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: It's not the American flag (one of at least) from the slave-era?

More to the point it wasn't just Kaepernick raising concerns, per the article:

Unfortunately times change and many of the older symbols take on new meaning thanks to our distance from them and how new groups identify with them.

It's a shame really.

Maybe we should be more upset with the less-than-seemly groups that appropriate these symbols to represent them. But that's just my thoughts on it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-02-2019, 11:27 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Maybe we should be more upset with the less-than-seemly groups that appropriate these symbols to represent them. But that's just my thoughts on it.

No doubt.  In fact I'd propose that is the better way.

That doesn't change that that was one of the cited reasons for Nike's decision and that using Kaepernick as the lead is just for attention grabbing purposes.  Then someone uses THAT to go after Kaepernick.

Endless cycle of "outrage" while the truly bad people just go about the business.
???
That flag is all about the gaining of Independence from Britain.
Has nothing to do with Slavery, sure slavery existed back then but that was not the intent.
Slavery exists today in many forms, so should we block the Flag because of it??

While we are at it, let's tear down Mt Rushmore.
(07-02-2019, 10:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured this was as good as a place as any for this.

That's pretty dumb as that wasn't even the same flag.

But it did make me think of something semi related. The first couple hundred years, we changed symbology pretty regularly. Money, flags, etc. Now, if you suggest a change, you hate your country and all it stands for.
(07-02-2019, 12:14 PM)Benton Wrote: That's pretty dumb as that wasn't even the same flag.

But it did make me think of something semi related. The first couple hundred years, we changed symbology pretty regularly. Money, flags, etc. Now, if you suggest a change, you hate your country and all it stands for.

Of course, if you fly the flag of a traitorous movement you are just a freedom loving American displaying your heritage. Mellow
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-02-2019, 12:14 PM)Benton Wrote: That's pretty dumb as that wasn't even the same flag.

It brings to mind those offended by the "circle" game because it's a symbol for White Power. I can remember back when Dale Jarret drove the #88 NASCAR. if you supported him you were racist.

Not only because you like Nascar but 88 stood for Hiel Hitler. Folks just look for things to get offended over. I think Colin just didn't like them because he'd have to kneel every time he passed someone wearing a pair. Now socks with Law Enforcement Officers represented as Pigs is good.

(07-02-2019, 01:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It brings to mind those offended by the "circle" game because it's a symbol for White Power. I can remember back when Dale Jarret drove the #88 NASCAR. if you supported him you were racist.

Not only because you like Nascar but 88 stood for Hiel Hitler. Folks just look for things to get offended over. I think Colin just didn't like them because he'd have to kneel every time he passed someone wearing a pair. Now socks with Law Enforcement Officers represented as Pigs is good.

Hadn't heard about that. My first roommate was into NASCAR, so I used to watch back in the late 90s. I was more of Tony Stewart guy, but I quit watching when they went to the 'chase' format.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/06/man-assaults-boy-13-disrespecting-national-anthem-police-say/1938626001/

Quote:A Montana man attacked a 13-year-old boy and fractured his skull for 'disrespecting' national anthem, police say

[Image: 09b7d373-54bc-4d32-baa0-433789a1b5b0-AP_...&auto=webp]
This undated photo provided by the Montana Department of Corrections shows Curt James Brockway. Montana authorities have charged Curt James Brockway of Superior, Montana, with assault on a minor after a witness said he threw a 13-year-old boy to the ground because the boy didn't remove his hat during the national anthem at a rodeo. Brockway made an initial court appearance Monday, Aug. 5, 2019, and is expected to enter a plea on Aug. 14 in District Court in Superior. (Montana Department of Corrections via AP) ORG XMIT: FX203 (Photo: AP)

Police have charged a Montana man with assault after witnesses say he threw a 13-year-old boy to the ground because he was "disrespecting the national anthem."

Curt James Brockway, 39, was arrested Saturday at the Mineral County Fair and charged with assault on a minor, according to Sheriff Mike Boone. Brockway slammed the child on the ground because he did not remove his hat during the national anthem, witnesses told KPAX.

Taylor Hennick told The Missoulian that Brockway said "he had every right to do that,"because the boy was disrespecting the anthem.

"There was a little boy lying on the ground," she told the outlet. "He was bleeding out of his ears, seizing on the ground, just not coherent." 

'Absentmindedness': Tim Ryan explains he 'wasn't protesting' by not putting his hand on heart during anthem at Democratic debate

The boy was airlifted to a hospital in Spokane, Washington, according to the sheriff's office.

The child's parents told KPAX that he continued bleeding from his ear for nearly six hours after the assault. He was treated for temporal skull fractures and later released from the hospital, the station reported.

Flag code: The American flag clothes you're wearing for the Fourth of July are technically illegal

Conduct during the playing of the national anthem became a national issue when some NFL players began kneeling to protest police brutality and racism. As the NFL protests gained momentum, President Donald Trump chimed in.

"Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a ***** off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!'" Trump said at a 2017 rally.

The U.S. flag code says people should face the flag during the national anthem. Military members in uniform should salute while those out of uniform may do so. Men not in uniform should remove their hats and civilians should put their right hand over their heart, according to the code.

There was no indication the boy in this case was protesting in any way.

According to Montana court records, Brockway is a registered violent offender after was convicted for a 2010 assault with a weapon. District Judge John Larson gave him a 10-year suspended sentence.

Prosecutors recommended his bail be set at $100,000. Court officials said Brockway's attorney was working Tuesday to recommend conditions that might allow Brockway be released without posting bond. He will be arraigned in Mineral County Justice Court on Aug. 14, according to the sheriff's office.

Although this being Montana it could just be this idiot was running for office.  Ninja