Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodell calls Trump's comments "divisive"
(09-26-2017, 10:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He was just being a good teammate.   Tomlin probably thought it was a bad look for the people who wanted to kneel if anyone stood up.  Villanueva was just diffusing and being a good teammate.

Why don't you support veterans?

Are you calling a veteran a liar?!?!

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-25-2017, 12:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dude, this issue was politicized long before Trump joined the fray.  He certainly ramped up the amplitude but he didn't create the situation. 

And why did Trump jump into the fray? Seriously. I thought it was a nearly dead issue until Trump started calling people out.

Quote:The situation is different, to be sure.  The showing of respect for the country represented by the flag is not.  I don't care if some fool burns the flag, steps on it, urinates on it, whatever.  The country is not the flag.  But understand that such disrespect for the flag inherently shows disrespect for the country it represents.  To many they are inseparable.

Point being, it's a lazy way to pretend you're making a difference.  You're not, at least not in the way you state as your objective.  This protest hasn't been about racial injustice for a long time, and I doubt it will ever again be perceived as such by many.

In the end, it boils down to perception. People can debate Kaepernick's motives, or anyone else's, but at the end of the day, it boils down to their perception of their motives. Much like the presidency. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-26-2017, 10:42 AM)Benton Wrote: And why did Trump jump into the fray? Seriously. I thought it was a nearly dead issue until Trump started calling people out.

In the end, it boils down to perception. People can debate Kaepernick's motives, or anyone else's, but at the end of the day, it boils down to their perception of their motives. Much like the presidency. 

Trump was elected on the wings of Americans' seething hatred for each other.  It's only natural for him to spend his entire presidency fanning the flames.  
(09-26-2017, 10:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He was just being a good teammate.   Tomlin probably thought it was a bad look for the people who wanted to kneel if anyone stood up.  Villanueva was just diffusing and being a good teammate.

That's why he said:
Quote:“That’s completely wrong, and every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself, I feel embarrassed to a degree because unintentionally I left my teammates behind,” he said.

“It wasn’t me stepping forward. I never planned to boycott the plan that the Steelers came up with. I just thought there would be some middle ground where I could stand in the tunnel, nobody would see me.”
(09-26-2017, 10:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump was elected on the wings of Americans' seething hatred for each other.  It's only natural for him to spend his entire presidency fanning the flames.  

I might agree with you, but I have this unexplainable seething hatred for you. Therefore, I must disagree.

Mellow
(09-26-2017, 10:42 AM)Benton Wrote: And why did Trump jump into the fray? Seriously. I thought it was a nearly dead issue until Trump started calling people out.

(09-26-2017, 10:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump was elected on the wings of Americans' seething hatred for each other.  It's only natural for him to spend his entire presidency fanning the flames.  

I shared his tweet about the booing in the Dallas game.

"great anger" he called it.

'nuff said.
(09-26-2017, 10:46 AM)Benton Wrote: I might agree with you, but I have this unexplainable seething hatred for you. Therefore, I must disagree.

Mellow

The more you love America the more you'll hate the hell out of half of Americans because they're trying to wreck what you love.  It's quite beautiful, really.  Patriotic as hell, but lord do I wish half this country would drop dead!
(09-26-2017, 10:45 AM)Benton Wrote: That's why he said:

That's what a good teammate does and says to protect the team.

His jersey jumped up to #6 most sold jerseys on Sunday after he stood for the anthem. Being a good teammate is probably going to cost him money from jersey sales.

I have no idea.  I will say that Trump is very good at riling people up, both his supporters and detractors.  He's also very good at making his detractors seem unhinged.  The NFL played right into his hands with their reaction this weekend.

Quote:In the end, it boils down to perception. People can debate Kaepernick's motives, or anyone else's, but at the end of the day, it boils down to their perception of their motives. Much like the presidency. 

It always does, a person's perception is their reality.  Like I said much earlier in the thread, Kaepernick ruined his own protest long ago with his pig cop socks and his lauding of Fidel Castro (ironically a man who would imprison Colin for his antics if they occurred in Cuba).  In so doing he changed the tenor of his own protest.  However, IMO, he merely revealed his real motivation for protesting.  He appears to be heavily influenced by his radical, racist, girlfriend.  The mask slipped a few times and this form of protest became irrevocably tainted for many.  Bottom line is Goodell and the NFL played their hand badly and the league will suffer for it.
(09-26-2017, 10:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's what a good teammate does and says to protect the team.  

His jersey jumped up to #6 most sold jerseys on Sunday after he stood for the anthem.    Being a good teammate is probably going to cost him money from jersey sales.

So the Steelers are more important than his fellow troops he served with and those who served before and those who lost their lives and so on?  He could have walked right out there defiantly and respected the flag but he chose not to because he has to stand with his rapist buddy and flag-hating teammates.

Black and gold over red white and blue, eh?  He should have walked right out there and saluted the flag.  What are they going to do, fire him?
(09-26-2017, 10:49 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have no idea.  I will say that Trump is very good at riling people up, both his supporters and detractors.  He's also very good at making his detractors seem unhinged.  The NFL played right into his hands with their reaction this weekend.

It always does, a person's perception is their reality.  Like I said much earlier in the thread, Kaepernick ruined his own protest long ago with his pig cop socks and his lauding of Fidel Castro (ironically a man who would imprison Colin for his antics if they occurred in Cuba).  In so doing he changed the tenor of his own protest.  However, IMO, he merely revealed his real motivation for protesting.  He appears to be heavily influenced by his radical, racist, girlfriend.  The mask slipped a few times and this form of protest became irrevocably tainted for many.  Bottom line is Goodell and the NFL played their hand badly and the league will suffer for it.

It is still strange when I completely agree with you.
I didn't look at it as him boycotting the boycott. He didn't flaunt anything, they just happen to see him and zoom in on him. Hell I didn't see what the Steelers did as a boycott, but rather to just stay out of it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-26-2017, 10:49 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have no idea.  I will say that Trump is very good at riling people up, both his supporters and detractors.  He's also very good at making his detractors seem unhinged.  The NFL played right into his hands with their reaction this weekend.

Agreed.
(09-26-2017, 11:01 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I didn't look at it as him boycotting the boycott.  He didn't flaunt anything, they just happen to see him and zoom in on him.  Hell I didn't see what the Steelers did as a boycott, but rather to just stay out of it.

That's how I saw it too.  The guy is in a no-win situation.  Can't people just stop getting so damn offended by everything?
Trump has tweeted about the NFL 16 times in the last 3 days while also retweeting 3 NFL related tweets.

Before this morning, he had one mention of Puerto Rico in the last week. When he finally mentioned PR, all he talked about was their debt... In that same time span, he has mentioned "Crooked Hillary" three times, attacked McCain 5 times and Rand Paul 4 times, and endorsed Luther Strange in the Bama election 7 times. Fox and Friends got more mentions than Puerto Rico.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-26-2017, 11:11 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump has tweeted about the NFL 16 times in the last 3 days while also retweeting 3 NFL related tweets.

Before this morning, he had one mention of Puerto Rico in the last week. When he finally mentioned PR, all he talked about was their debt... In the last time span, he has mentioned "Crooked Hillary" three times, attacked McCain 5 times and Rand Paul 4 times, and endorsed Luther Strange in the Bama election 7 times. Fox and Friends got more mentions than Puerto Rico.

Yeah but doesn't Puerto Rico have a lot of Puerto Ricans living there?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Fun fact:

We can thank the Bengals for Villanueva's Military Service.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-26-2017, 11:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Fun fact:

We can thank the Bengals for Villanueva's Military Service.

What'd we draft him and he thought Afghanistan was a better option?

President Trump has authorized Federal assistance to Puerto Rico. Are there really folks monitoring how often he has tweeted about it?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-26-2017, 11:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What'd we draft him and he thought Afghanistan was a better option?

http://taskandpurpose.com/6-nfl-players-who-served-in-the-post-911-military/

Quote:Villanueva originally played for West Point as a wide receiver, offensive lineman, and defensive end. He went undrafted through 2010, but had an unsuccessful tryout with the Cincinnati Bengals. In the meantime, Villanueva spent four years as an active member of the Army Rangers, serving three tours in Afghanistan. He reached the rank of captain and received a Bronze Star award. After a brief stint with the Philadelphia Eagles, he was signed to the Pittsburgh Steelers practice team. After the team’s starting tackle was injured, Villanueva started 10 games in 2015.