Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Hue on his way to Cincy
(11-13-2018, 03:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I dunno. I could see Marvin being HC of Oakland or either of the NYC teams depending on what other options are available. Marvin has proven he can bring a team from the dumps into (semi) competitive. He just hasn't shown he can take a team deep into the playoffs.

Honestly i think after this job Marvin is done with coaching. If he doesnt end up somewhere in our front office he will in some other organization.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 03:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I dunno. I could see Marvin being HC of Oakland or either of the NYC teams depending on what other options are available. Marvin has proven he can bring a team from the dumps into (semi) competitive. He just hasn't shown he can take a team deep into the playoffs.

Oakland is the only NFL team that currently has a HC under a 10 year contract.  Oh wait, you mean Marvin will go there after his extension here isn't picked up in 2028.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 11:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's been here as a defensive coach before. People can ***** and whine, but the move makes sense. If Marvin is going to call the D, he needs someone he trusts to help him with other things. Jackson has worked with Lewis many times in the past and knows how he thinks. And Jackson is a good asst. coach, and knows our system and the way things are done. It makes sense.

Agree with this and am fine if the move is as an assistant in any capacity except OC. 

Am not fine with him being the next HC at all though. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:22 PM)McC Wrote: Oh, come on.  Where else are you gonna find this blend of high comedy and tragedy?

The problem is so many people in this forum (including many in this thread, cough, not you though lol) take this team seriously. Like bringing in H. Jackson takes us tot he superbowl, let alone a playoff win, let alone the playoffs.

If only they viewed this team as some of us do, a joke, they'd start to laugh more. And that is the secret to living longer, according to the Japanese, lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
People hang on that 15 season but he inherited a nice team. Gruden left him sitting pretty but he did not do same for Lazor.

Gruden draft picks..........Hue's picks

AJ Green.....................Jeremy Hill
Andy Dalton................Ced Ogbuehi
Kevin Zeitler...................Jake Fischer
Tyler Eifert ..................Russell Bodine
Gio Bernard..................AJ McCarron
Clint Boling...................Uzomah
Mohamad Sanu..............Tyler Kroft
Marvin Jones...................James Wright
Rex Burkhead..................Mario Alford
Ryan Whalin
TJ Johnson
Tanner Hawkinson
Orson Charles
Dan Herron

Hue made horrible trade for Raiders in Palmer deal and wanted to do the same for AJM.
He is useful as a coach but should never be in the upper echelons of the hierarchy in my humble opinion.
He is the reason our OL sucks so freakin badly now with his foolish picks.
He got a couple of nice players at other spots but nobody that is great.

But do like him as an assistant except for OC, or DC and think he will help this year per Marvin having to coach D.
Yet still checking out if he is named HC next season.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:40 PM)kevin Wrote: Is this still just rumor ?

If Hue comes in, I hope it is to help Marvin, now coaching the D because Austin fired.  I hope Hue stays out of Lazors way.  Marvin runs the D, Lazor runs the offense.   Hue helps Marvin head coach and run D as an assistant head coach to help throw challenge flags and decide what to do on 4th down.  Maybe to give insight on Browns who we still have 2 games with.  I'm all for Austin fired and it gives hope to still have 9 or 10 win season if Marvin turns D around a little. I could see Hue helping Marvin in an assistant head coach capacity during games as Marvin runs the D.  LET LAZOR RUN THE O.

We play the Browns twice,Ravens this week, Steelers away , and Chargers and Raiders before end of season.

Hue has been the HC of one of those teams, been in divisional games for two others, and already game planned against the two other future bengal opponents.

In a time critical situation Marv needs someone who speaks his language, and can maybe scout the future opponents offenses for tendencies ,etc...plus help with in game management.

I think in this unenviable situation Hue is actually damn useful to Marv right now.

Does not make him any more of a HC candidate (his record speaks for itself) but he helps us right here and now....good move IMHO
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 06:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: People hang on that 15 season but he inherited a nice team. Gruden left him sitting pretty but he did not do same for Lazor.

Ryan Whalin
TJ Johnson
Tanner Hawkinson
Orson Charles
Dan Herron

Hue made horrible trade for Raiders in Palmer deal and wanted to do the same for AJM.
He is useful as a coach but should never be in the upper echelons of the hierarchy in my humble opinion.

But do like him as an assistant except for OC, or DC and think he will help this year per Marvin having to coach D.

I was a big Hue as OC fan but you are very right in calling out the influence of Gruden ...maybe his impact was underestimated at the time.

Plus another massive compliment is that he had to hit in the 2011 draft after the CPalmer fallout and without a full off season prep for his rookie QB and WR.  

The fact we transitioned from the Palmer era to Dalton era pretty seamlessly in one constrained off season was a damn impressive coaching and drafting job
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 06:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Hue made horrible trade for Raiders in Palmer deal and wanted to do the same for AJM.

If you look at the QB transactions that have taken place over the years since, I don't think the Palmer trade looks as insane as people think.  Using hindsight, we see when the Raiders traded for a QB who had 6 years of decent football and 1 year of near MVP-caliber football left in him.  The issue is that they didn't commit to Hue and Palmer going forward and they followed over-paying for Palmer by firing Hue (their had a top 10 offense even with Jason Campbell and rusty Palmer) and replacing him with a crappy defense-oriented HC.  I'm not saying they would have won anything of note, but they threw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater after that trade.

And as maligned as Dalton can be, I could see him being worth a 1st rounder plus some more, and the Raiders also want two 1st round picks for Derek Carr at the moment.  Sam Bradford was worth a 1st and a 4th to the Vikings, for Pete's sake and no one claims the Vikings are going to dwell in their division's basement for years because of it.  But anyways, QBs are pricey.  We've hit on our past 2 QBs so we haven't had to think about it for a while, thankfully.
Reply/Quote

Idk man...in other NFL cities, the playoffs are still a pretty big deal. That 0-7 playoff record is pretty damning. I could see a team like the Browns giving him a shot, maybe, but perhaps Hue scared them off of any Bengals scraps. I can't picture any legit NFL franchise looking at Marv seriously. 

And tbh, I always hear that Marv has been hindered by Mike. If that's the case, why does Marv always come crawling back? Either he has no dignity or he has no other options.

(11-13-2018, 06:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: People hang on that 15 season but he inherited a nice team. Gruden left him sitting pretty but he did not do same for Lazor.

Ryan Whalin
TJ Johnson
Tanner Hawkinson
Orson Charles
Dan Herron

C'mon Cards, we all know who was behind those 3 picks, and it wasn't Hue Jackson.

You also have to consider that Jay had 3 drafts and Hue only had 2...with 3 of the top picks being hand selected by our "Assistant Head Coach".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:19 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Who do you think would be better? Please show me a team that brought in someone mid season with no familiarity to the team?  I’ll gladly retract my statement.

Are you saying that other coaches don't have a clue about coaching a team? Any team for that matter?
A coach is a coach. The team won't matter to much, he can either coach or he can't. And it doesn't take that long to learn a teams weaknesses or strengths.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 06:36 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree with this and am fine if the move is as an assistant in any capacity except OC

Am not fine with him being the next HC at all though. 

Why?

Lazor is just okay not some hot-shot OC.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 08:50 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Why?

Lazor is just okay not some hot-shot OC.

He fights with one hand behind his back.

Actually, I think Andy and the offense are at their best in a permanent two minute drill.  But if your defense is non-existent, you might not want to do that, even if it is their strength.

Sooner or later, a coach has to realize his man power might not be what he thinks it is and start chasing victory with guile.  This would be my biggest criticism of Lazor.  He ain't tricky enough, for lack of a better term.  If your guys can't get open on their own, you gotta scheme them open.

But above all, if what you're doing is not working, do something else.  Who convinced him the three in third quarter stood for three and out?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 09:09 PM)McC Wrote: He fights with one hand behind his back.

Actually, I think Andy and the offense are at their best in a permanent two minute drill.  But if your defense is non-existent, you might not want to do that, even if it is their strength.

Sooner or later, a coach has to realize his man power might not be what he thinks it is and start chasing victory with guile.  This would be my biggest criticism of Lazor.  He ain't tricky enough, for lack of a better term.  If your guys can't get open on their own, you gotta scheme them open.

But above all, if what you're doing is not working, do something else.  Who convinced him the three in third quarter stood for three and out?

I mean Andy only scored 7 points against the Saints(not counting Driskels garbage time TD).  10 points against KC.

What in the hell can Hue possibly ruin for Lazor?

Jeez now he's a terrible coach period in some peoples eyes.

I just don't understand the logic about "don't let Hue mess with Lazor".

If he was doing fantastic then maybe I give it consideration... but...  he's not.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 09:15 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I mean Andy only scored 7 points against the Saints(not counting Driskels garbage time TD).  10 points against KC.

What in the hell can Hue possibly ruin for Lazor?

Jeez now he's a terrible coach period in some peoples eyes.

I just don't understand the logic about "don't let Hue mess with Lazor".

If he was doing fantastic then maybe I give it consideration... but...  he's not.

I've been a Lazor backer before, but I have to agree. Hue has a better track record in that spot than Lazor does.

That said, if this season goes down the tubes, I don't think a simple swap of Lazor for Hue is going to fix much of anything. We'd just need to start from scratch with the entire staff. Hue included. There is no reason why Hue should be our next OC. If he is, that means Marv is still around.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 09:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been a Lazor backer before, but I have to agree. Hue has a better track record in that spot than Lazor does.

That said, if this season goes down the tubes, I don't think a simple swap of Lazor for Hue is going to fix much of anything. We'd just need to start from scratch with the entire staff. Hue included. There is no reason why Hue should be our next OC. If he is, that means Marv is still around.

I'm just on the train of thought that the D is terrible but the offense needs a shot in the ass as well.

Terrible 3rd quarter showings.  Now I'm hearing stats about bad 3rd down conversion rates.

This ship is sinking from horrible D but the offense lately is not showing up either against bad defenses to boot.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 06:44 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: If only they viewed this team as some of us do, a joke, they'd start to laugh more. And that is the secret to living longer, according to the Japanese, lol.

Actually you take your negativity very seriously.  You work hard at it.  In fact you can be depended on to find the negative aspect of almost anything about the Bengals.

And FYI the Japanese do not believe that being negative is the secret to living longer.
Reply/Quote
I think I am okay with this move because I knew it was going to happen. As soon as I heard Hue was fired, I told my wife, friends, and family that he would be back in Cincinnati. So maybe that is why I'm not upset about it because it was inevitable.

Whether he helps with the offense, defense, or both, I honestly don't see the harm. On the offensive side, Dalton had his best season with Hue as OC. Dalton is having another fine season but Hue may be able to help Lazor and Van Pelt get even more out of him. If not, I don't see the harm in trying.

On the defensive side of things, we're on pace to have the worst defense in the history of the NFL. It can't get any worse. If the defense continues to give up miles of yards, can't make a 3rd down stop, and allows 30+ points per game, at least we shook things up. However, even with it being Lewis and Jackson, I feel we will see some improvement on the defense and that maybe the Saints can hold onto their records.

My only concern is that Hue will eventually be the head coach. I don't want that to happen, but that seems to be the foregone conclusion. However, he did help improve the Raiders when he was head coach and the Browns are the Browns. They seem to have finally turned a corner and Hue helped with that somewhere along the line. I feel the Browns did just like the Colts did when they decided to "suck for Luck". They consistently had high first round picks and continued to trade and load up more. Eventually they were bound to hit on some picks. So while they were a complete joke the last 2 seasons, it seems some of that may have been by design.

I completely agree that this is the typical, lazy Mike Brown way to do things. Hue has done well for us in the past. Since he has an understanding and good knowledge of the shittiest owner in professional sports, maybe he knows how to squeeze some success out here. I also think with the Family's familiarity of Hue, he wouldn't be treated like any other new coach and have to earn a lot of the power that Marvin has been able to attain.

I am extremely cautiously optimistic here. While maybe not what I wanted or hoped for, it may be right around the best we could've realistically gotten.
Reply/Quote
Lazors offenses this year has been notorious for 2nd half regressions.
he often gets predictable at times on down and distance and personal groupings.
Lazor too me lacks creativity.
I can look at how the Bengals line up on otfense and tell how the play is schemed up.
if i can see from BW3s then defenses can see it too
I think Hue is a much better OC than Lazor.
I have yet to see much of Chip Kellys supposed influence in this offense.
I did see a bit of Air Coryell when Eifert was healthy.
Lazor concepts however are more in the past then current day.
Hue hopefully can be a asset to Lazor too
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 09:54 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: My only concern is that Hue will eventually be the head coach. I don't want that to happen, but that seems to be the foregone conclusion. 

WTF
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 09:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF

In this thread, that is definitely the conclusion. Also, Marvin did try to make a succession plan for Hue in the past. At the presser, Marvin mentioned having a plan. While I'm sure a lot of that was meant for the defense, I do believe he will try to set Hue up for the head coach spot again. Marvin is only signed through the end of next season.
Reply/Quote