Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I LIKED the Bullying....
Look, most people won't admit it because they want to save face, but what the Bengals did yesterday on defense is what that unit has needed to do for what seems like EVER. For years Bengals players have taken the high road when it comes to the beat downs that were administered to them. Rivers' broken jaw, Huber's broken jaw, Carson's knee, Shipley's concussion. Steelers and Ravens hooting and hollering at the Bengals players after every play. NOW THE BENGALS ARE THE BULLY. And I hope it never stops.

- I don't mind that Pacman took the Raiders rookie star receiver and smacked him around. Not.... one.... bit. In fact, it was perfect based on how crazy that entire string of events unfolded that play.

- I don't mind that Dre-kirk jawed at a notoriously mouthy Crabtree after a great play and after the game was well in hand.

- I loved the pile of Bengals bullying the Raiders O-lineman (77?) after the guy was flagged for a personal foul AND holding (the same play Pacman beat up Cooper).

- I loved Pacman not letting Carr run out of bounds for a first down and instead making him pay for trying to get extra yards - causing a backwards fumble and negating a 1st down.

- I was fine with the headlock tackles.

- I loved going for it on 4th down from inside their 5 on the opening drive.

- Iloka's penalty was ticky-tack. If he hadn't of smashed the guy so hard the player would have not been under him with flowers already starting to sprout up and, therefore, it wouldn't have looked so bad. But still, I was fine with it.

- I loved all of it!

The fact is that the Bengals have been on the wrong end of these types of plays and these types of games for 20+ years. Seeing the defense taking the driver's seat in relentlessly delivering punishment is a great thing, to me. All without Burfict, too! At first I was worried about the penalties, but then saw that they had the talent to make up for it and, frankly, I'm leaning towards the intimidation factor being more valuable than a few yards here or there in the grand scheme of things.

This team has the look and feel of something different. I was wondering.... What do you fellow fans think about how those events unfolded from a big picture standpoint? Does it feel different? The same? Are you embarrassed? Want them to clean it up? What's your take here?
Reply/Quote
Oh. Hell. YES!
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with bullying between the whistles, but there is no defense for Jones. The rest was fine, but Jones was a bonafide idiot and embarrassment.
Reply/Quote
i think while not on that play Cooper might have taken a shot or two at the dbs during the game earlier.
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with everything outside of what Adam Jones did.
Reply/Quote
Pacman was on fire and it was good to see. Those 10 tackles were tops. The beating up on Cooper might hurt us next game if he's suspended. There is a line between playing with fire and being stupid though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think while not on that play Cooper might have taken a shot or two at the dbs during the game earlier.

Watch the replay of the entire play, and you'll see Cooper trying to "block" Jones with 2 or 3 shots to the face and neck area. That's why Pacman lost his shit. I wish Iloka would have stuck around to dish out some more pain and punishment to Cooper and Crabtree. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
The problem with bullying is eventually non-bullying is perceived as bullying and you get undue fines and penalties.

Look at the Dre Kirkpatrick penalty. I don't know what he said, but he didn't make any physical motion to Crabtree other than the common "no sir" arm cross.

Unless he said something extremely obscene, there was no reason to call taunting on a mere verbal exchange.

The refs called that as payback for not catching the Jones thing, which should have gotten him ejected.

We also set a bad tone with Iloka stomping around after a great play.

Make the play. Leave out the child behavior. We know you made a great play Iloka, no need to waste it.

I like tough physical football.

And the bully mentality, which resulted in the Iloka play (the play not the penalty) is what we need around here. We need to let teams know you're gonna get hit and it's gonna hurt.

The taunting adds nothing to the bully mentality and only leads to stupid ass penalties.
Reply/Quote
I live in NC, so I didn't get to watch the game, but what Jones did is unacceptable. It's one thing to want to play with more aggression and intimidation, but the last thing I want is to be like the Steelers.
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."
Formerly known as NASBengalfan
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Look, most people won't admit it because they want to save face, but what the Bengals did yesterday on defense is what that unit has needed to do for what seems like EVER. For years Bengals players have taken the high road when it comes to the beat downs that were administered to them. Rivers' broken jaw, Huber's broken jaw, Carson's knee, Shipley's concussion. Steelers and Ravens hooting and hollering at the Bengals players after every play. NOW THE BENGALS ARE THE BULLY. And I hope it never stops.

- I don't mind that Pacman took the Raiders rookie star receiver and smacked him around. Not.... one.... bit. In fact, it was perfect based on how crazy that entire string of events unfolded that play.

- I don't mind that Dre-kirk jawed at a notoriously mouthy Crabtree after a great play and after the game was well in hand.

- I loved the pile of Bengals bullying the Raiders O-lineman (77?) after the guy was flagged for a personal foul AND holding (the same play Pacman beat up Cooper).

- I loved Pacman not letting Carr run out of bounds for a first down and instead making him pay for trying to get extra yards - causing a backwards fumble and negating a 1st down.

- Iloka's penalty was ticky-tack. If he hadn't of smashed the guy so hard the player would have not been under him with flowers already starting to sprout up and, therefore, it wouldn't have looked so bad. But still, I was fine with it.

- I loved all of it!

The fact is that the Bengals have been on the wrong end of these types of plays and these types of games for 20+ years. Seeing the defense taking the driver's seat in relentlessly delivering punishment is a great thing, to me. All without Burfict, too! At first I was worried about the penalties, but then saw that they had the talent to make up for it and, frankly, I'm leaning towards the intimidation factor being more valuable than a few yards here or there in the grand scheme of things.

This team has the look and feel of something different. I was wondering.... What do you fellow fans think about how those events unfolded from a big picture standpoint? Does it feel different? The same? Are you embarrassed? Want them to clean it up? What's your take here?

There is a fine line in playing hard and playing hard within the rules.    I like the hard aggressive plays but to add penalties to those plays will in the end cost you games.   A couple years ago, the Giants were known to be a tough hard team but they lead the league in penalties and it cost them going to the playoffs.. I don;t want that type of team (so what if Jones gets suspended for a SD game,, that could cost us the game..).. I want a hard nosed disciplined team ie Steelers of the past.... play hard to the whistle, be agressive, but play smart and with the guidelines of the rules and we will have a good team
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think while not on that play Cooper might have taken a shot or two at the dbs during the game earlier.
What makes you think that?  Did you see it?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Look, most people won't admit it because they want to save face, but what the Bengals did yesterday on defense is what that unit has needed to do for what seems like EVER. For years Bengals players have taken the high road when it comes to the beat downs that were administered to them. Rivers' broken jaw, Huber's broken jaw, Carson's knee, Shipley's concussion. Steelers and Ravens hooting and hollering at the Bengals players after every play. NOW THE BENGALS ARE THE BULLY. And I hope it never stops.

- I loved all of it!

I think I wish I could rep this post more than once.  You have echoed a lot of my sentiments from threads last night.  This isn't chess.

This kind of thing has been done to us in this division for decades.....time to dish it back.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The problem with bullying is eventually non-bullying is perceived as bullying and you get undue fines and penalties.

Look at the Dre Kirkpatrick penalty. I don't know what he said, but he didn't make any physical motion to Crabtree other than the common "no sir" arm cross.

Unless he said something extremely obscene, there was no reason to call taunting on a mere verbal exchange.

The refs called that as payback for not catching the Jones thing, which should have gotten him ejected.

We also set a bad tone with Iloka stomping around after a great play.

Make the play. Leave out the child behavior. We know you made a great play Iloka, no need to waste it.

I like tough physical football.

And the bully mentality, which resulted in the Iloka play (the play not the penalty) is what we need around here. We need to let teams know you're gonna get hit and it's gonna hurt.

The taunting adds nothing to the bully mentality and only leads to stupid ass penalties.

I agree with this.
The Dre penalty was ridiculous and just a "gotcha" call by the refs. 

People seem to forget all the bogus calls Burfict gets slapped with because of his past. Those add up. 
Reply/Quote
I'll be cautiously optimistic until this team bullies the Steelers. THEN I'll be sold. Beating up on the modern-day Raiders (on the field and between the whistles) is nice but I want more.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:52 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I agree with this.
The Dre penalty was ridiculous and just a "gotcha" call by the refs. 

People seem to forget all the bogus calls Burfict gets slapped with because of his past. Those add up. 

Burfict is guilty of a lot that....ankle twisting....cup checks.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'll repeat what i said in the other thread.

I'm fine with it.

Now if Cooper would have been injured..

Reply/Quote
[Image: pac1.gif]

Cooper tugged on Superman's cape AND spit in the wind!
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 01:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Burfict is guilty of a lot that....ankle twisting....cup checks.....

And anytime there is a close call with him, in goes in favor of the other team

(09-14-2015, 01:06 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I'll repeat what i said in the other thread.

I'm fine with it.

Now if Cooper would have been injured..

Bad way to look at it.
Resulting in injury shouldn't be the deciding factor. 
Reply/Quote
I'm already tired of hearing about this and its only been a day.

On the topic of Jones and Iloka. I frankly don't care. Jones got chopped to the neck and saw red. These people complaining about Jones being a disgrace obviously have never been in his shoes and in this situation before. You're loaded with adrenaline playing every single down in a violent fast paced sport and you get chopped to the neck? what did you expect him to do ? It doesn't matter what you expect him to do because you're not the moral authority on all things.

George Iloka's foul was a mistake, but only because of his body position. If he does that a foot away and not on him it probably doesn't get called. Even if it does I can't fault the dude for living in the moment. Its what makes these players great.

If anything the travesty of this game was the call on Kirkpatrick. Lets be clear i dont care just because it was a Bengals game, but this is a pure bullshit call that has a trickle down effect in this league. Even that waste of space Chris Simms said afterwards " The League is removing this from the game " . I am sorry, but when has shit talking not been allowed on a football field ? This is part of the mental warfare of football that makes the game great.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 01:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And anytime there is a close call with him, in goes in favor of the other team

Bad way to look at it.
Resulting in injury shouldn't be the deciding factor. 

I guess we just disagree on the matter and that's fine. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote