Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense
(11-19-2018, 01:47 PM)McC Wrote: Tired schemes, predictable routes, QB having a second and a half to get through his reads, several things, really.

Bad coaching which has always been here since like Sam Wyche...

(11-19-2018, 01:48 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Evans is a better option then Burfict this year.
Burfict might be an upgrade over Nickerson.

What the hell happened to Burfict? Thought the dude had fire and passion? Sounds like the League finally got to him.

Want that dirty player back lol
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:48 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Evans is a better option then Burfict this year.
Burfict might be an upgrade over Nickerson.

So they spent a third on Jefferson so he could sit and watch Nickerson destroy his family name and make a mockery of the position? 

He was co-DPOY in the Big 12.  He must have some ability.  Granted, winning that in the Big 12 might be like being named Golfer of the year at a putt putt course, but, honestly, what's he gonna do, miss a tackle?  Be in the wrong place?  Not cover a TE?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:59 PM)McC Wrote: So they spent a third on Jefferson so he could sit and watch Nickerson destroy his family name and make a mockery of the position? 

He was co-DPOY in the Big 12.  He must have some ability.  Granted, winning that in the Big 12 might be like being named Golfer of the year at a putt putt course, but, honestly, what's he gonna do, miss a tackle?  Be in the wrong place?  Not cover a TE?

You mean, be like Nickerson...
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bad coaching which has always been here since like Sam Wyche...

What the hell happened to Burfict? Thought the dude had fire and passion? Sounds like the League finally got to him.

I really think Burfict is still injured.  He tried to go hard for a few plays, then I saw him hobbling to the sideline.  The way he was "soft stepping" to one side, I think it's still the hip bothering him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You mean, be like Nickerson...

Right.  What's the worse that could happen?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Question - lets provide the benefit of the doubt and say Jefferson is struggling to pick up the defense and the NFL game itself. This was known at the draft so no surprise. However, given we knew Lamar Jackson was starting and the Ravens would be running the option a lot would it not have made sense to have jefferson in the game? His college experience would have been with that type of offense.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really think Burfict is still injured.  He tried to go hard for a few plays, then I saw him hobbling to the sideline.  The way he was "soft stepping" to one side, I think it's still the hip bothering him.

Must be, think you are right as usual Sunset.

(11-19-2018, 02:13 PM)McC Wrote: Right.  What's the worse that could happen?

Nothing worse than Nickerson.

(11-19-2018, 02:23 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Question - lets provide the benefit of the doubt and say Jefferson is struggling to pick up the defense and the NFL game itself. This was known at the draft so no surprise. However, given we knew Lamar Jackson was starting and the Ravens would be running the option a lot would it not have made sense to have jefferson in the game? His college experience would have been with that type of offense.

Exactly.

Nickerson is more than struggling and Jefferson is the better athlete.

Who is more likely to catch Lamar Jackson?

There is no big mystery to stopping this guy, you keep him in the pocket and make him pass the ball.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Must be, think you are right as usual Sunset.

Exactly.

There is no big mystery to stopping this guy, you keep him in the pocket and make him pass the ball.

The biggest things that I noticed about the LB play yesterday?  They seemed half a beat late on diagnosing the play, and then couldn't get off a block to save their ass.  Now, with Burfict I saw him recognize the plays instantly, but it just seemed like his body wouldn't let him get there..

In Burfict's case, he likely shouldn't have been on the field, as he's obviously not well. As for the others? They were all great athletes in College, must be the coaching.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: There is no big mystery to stopping this guy, you keep him in the pocket and make him pass the ball.

No shit, that is the most maddening aspect of losing yesterday.  The defense literally had one friggin job to do:  make Jackson throw the ball.  Instead, they make some undrafted scrub out of RUTGERS look like the second coming of Earl Campbell, and make Jackson look like Gale Sayers.  It's pitiful.  We knew, or should have, that the offense would have its struggles without Green and Kroft against one of the top defenses in the NFL.  All the defense had to do was make the rookie throw the ball.  They couldn't even do that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: No shit, that is the most maddening aspect of losing yesterday.  The defense literally had one friggin job to do:  make Jackson throw the ball.  Instead, they make some undrafted scrub out of RUTGERS look like the second coming of Earl Campbell, and make Jackson look like Gale Sayers.  It's pitiful.  We knew, or should have, that the offense would have its struggles without Green and Kroft against one of the top defenses in the NFL.  All the defense had to do was make the rookie throw the ball.  They couldn't even do that.

What killed me is they seemed to have no idea it was coming, blindsided.

One of the telling things about how lame this coaching staff is, Marvin not even knowing how to use the headset ! I mean a Pro football team and nobody bothered checking that before the game ? WTF
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:35 PM)McC Wrote: They're a defeated, hopeless bunch.  The will is gone.

And the offense is collapsing under the weight of it too.

Injuries, injuries, injuries, McC.

And it's the defense that collapses when the offense can't protect them.

Offense is the best defense, and injuries have robbed us of that.

Offense went three and out on the first three possessions of the game.

Ravens set out to stop the run and took their chances on a depleted passing attack.

That was the game.

This Team fought hard. You could see the fight and the will in them.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bad coaching which has always been here since like Sam Wyche...

He keeps getting suspended, showing up out of shape and then getting injured (likely due to his suspensions and being out of shape.) Burfict has not been the same player and it's very evident. Average/below average, big step down from what he was. 

If that is what he is now, I want him gone.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 08:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Completely agree.  Jordan Evans has great athleticism, but poor instincts.  Outside of him and the out-of-shape Burfict, Vigil is injured and the rest of the players on the field weren't even drafted.  

Even if Burfict returns healthy, if I were to address the biggest weaknesses of this team, that position group would be number one.  I would sign a capable veteran to fill the gap, and draft an impact player early to play LB for this team.  

Improving the safety play would be next.  I think Bates is solid, but Shawn Williams misses too many tackles to be an effective SS.

This is pretty much how I watch college football right now....scouting the LBs.  

To be fair the Bengals are currently scouting for the worst, least effective college linebackers in the game. They've instituted a new scouting department , The Let's Find The Least Able To Succeed department. Maybe they'll actually give it a better name ,The Department of Finding Cardboard Cutouts That Resemble Football Players From A Distance While Wearing Dark Glasses At Night In A Dark Room . They should promote Mike Brown from team owner to Chief Executive in charge of consistent disappointment among fans or at least move the team to an undisclosed location with no internet access and no television access just to drum up support .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 07:59 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He keeps getting suspended, showing up out of shape and then getting injured (likely due to his suspensions and being out of shape.) Burfict has not been the same player and it's very evident. Average/below average, big step down from what he was. 

Funny how guys get a big contract then seem to underperform it.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The biggest things that I noticed about the LB play yesterday?  They seemed half a beat late on diagnosing the play, and then couldn't get off a block to save their ass.  Now, with Burfict I saw him recognize the plays instantly, but it just seemed like his body wouldn't let him get there..

In Burfict's case, he likely shouldn't have been on the field, as he's obviously not well.  As for the others?  They were all great athletes in College, must be the coaching.

Think the same.

(11-19-2018, 03:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: No shit, that is the most maddening aspect of losing yesterday.  The defense literally had one friggin job to do:  make Jackson throw the ball.  Instead, they make some undrafted scrub out of RUTGERS look like the second coming of Earl Campbell, and make Jackson look like Gale Sayers.  It's pitiful.  We knew, or should have, that the offense would have its struggles without Green and Kroft against one of the top defenses in the NFL.  All the defense had to do was make the rookie throw the ball.  They couldn't even do that.

Yes sir.

(11-19-2018, 05:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What killed me is they seemed to have no idea it was coming, blindsided.

One of the telling things about how lame this coaching staff is, Marvin not even knowing how to use the headset ! I mean a Pro football team and nobody bothered checking that before the game ? WTF

Sad stuff. Sad

(11-19-2018, 07:59 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He keeps getting suspended, showing up out of shape and then getting injured (likely due to his suspensions and being out of shape.) Burfict has not been the same player and it's very evident. Average/below average, big step down from what he was. 

Like Sunset said, he must be injured still.
Reply/Quote
It's not 2002 anymore. Offenses have changed drastically.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:10 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: It's not 2002 anymore. Offenses have changed drastically.

This is a HUGE part of it.  These slow LBs are a thing of the past.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is a HUGE part of it.  These slow LBs are a thing of the past.

They are not even stopping the run very well.

Get toasted versus the pass.

Need speed now versus either the run or pass. (unless a LB has great instincts to offset being slow)
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really think Burfict is still injured.  He tried to go hard for a few plays, then I saw him hobbling to the sideline.  The way he was "soft stepping" to one side, I think it's still the hip bothering him.

I think you're right.  And he's never really got into football shape to begin with or got his timing down.  And that was in a new system.

But the big thing at this point is that he appears to be playing hurt.   And it's not working out.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Must be, think you are right as usual Sunset.

Exactly.

I think Marvin plays Nickerson because he knows what is going on and knows where he's supposed to be.   The fact that he had the microphone in his helmet supports this.

Unfortunately he is so un-athletic he can't make the plays.    Hopefully they'll start playing Jefferson if the season is totally out of reach.
Reply/Quote