Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Fournette is there at #9, the Bengals Take Him
Do we need to fix the o-line in order to completely fix the run game? Yes.
Do I still want Fournette? Heck yeah.
Will the Bengals draft Fournette? Probably not. Even if he's there, this pre-draft talk could be a smokescreen.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 12:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to be honest. Earlier on i was not wanting the guy cause i thought of him as just another big LSU RB.

But he might be the fastest, big RB since Earl Campbell, his burst is amazing, he punishes defenders with his
shoulder and he CAN catch the ball out of the backfield. I would definately be for it now, we need another RB if
we don't bring back Rex and even if we do with Gio's injury and Hill's poor play.

I like Dalvin Cook a touch more but i am definately warming up to Fournette.

I bet the Panthers want him though too. If the Panthers take him i would take Dalvin Cook and be real happy
about it. Both of these guys ran behind bad O-lines as well in college so no big deal. The running game would
instantly be better with either one of these backs.

Heck, bring in Pocic too at Center the one good O-lineman they had at LSU.

Fournette, Mckinley, Pocic in the first 3 rounds.

The only weakness i see and others have mentioned with Fournette is he reads gap schemes only right now.

Also......I see A LOT of fullback play in his game film.  I was warming up, but after watching breakdown, seeing the FB a bunch, seeing him not have very good lateral movement and the ability to cut all that well....I'm thinking very bad fit here. It's LSU, bad line is a relative statement.  Compared to years' past, yes, and when the entire stadium knows you're running.....well, they may look a little worse than they are. If we play Hewitt more, and fix the line, he might be a good fit.  I've cooled way down on him.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 12:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: Cook does have some serous off the field issues. That's why it's better just to wait on a rb. If we go with a luxury pick just grab Williams. He should be there.

At least some scouts think Williams will run a 4.6 or slower. If he does that, he'll get labeled Laquon Treadwell, and teams will not view him worthy of a top 10 pick.
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/scouts-think-clemson-wr-mike-williams-will-run-4-6-slower/

If Williams runs over a 4.55, I'd rather have Corey Davis if the Bengals take a WR at 9.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 12:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: Also......I see A LOT of fullback play in his game film.  I was warming up, but after watching breakdown, seeing the FB a bunch, seeing him not have very good lateral movement and the ability to cut all that well....I'm thinking very bad fit here. It's LSU, bad line is a relative statement.  Compared to years' past, yes, and when the entire stadium knows you're running.....well, they may look a little worse than they are. If we play Hewitt more, and fix the line, he might be a good fit.  I've cooled way down on him.

We would definately have to change things up from last year but we should anyways with that pathetic showing.

We paid Hewitt, play the frickin' guy. When we did play him we were able to run well. The coaches never seem to
stick with what is working. Re-watch the Bronco game last year, early on we just moved their D-line at will. Then
we got behind and started panicking.

Still, i am with you on Dalvin Cook. He makes defenders miss and can take it the distance on any given play with
his vision in the open field and dynamic playmaking ability. Fournette needs that initial inside hole and than he is
gone. Defenses just need to gang tackle to stop him, unlike Cook.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 12:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: At least some scouts think Williams will run a 4.6 or slower. If he does that, he'll get labeled Laquon Treadwell, and teams will not view him worthy of a top 10 pick.
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/scouts-think-clemson-wr-mike-williams-will-run-4-6-slower/

If Williams runs over a 4.55, I'd rather have Corey Davis if the Bengals take a WR at 9.

Man, i think people put way too much stock in the forty but yeah, as of right now i take Corey Davis over Mikey Williams.

I like both though if we grab a WR in the first. BPA, whether it is pass rusher, LB, RB or WR.

Playmaker in the first baby.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 12:37 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: YEP. Exactly what I was going to say about it being a smokescreen. The Bengals want the Panthers to take him or someone else to jump up and trade for him. The more QB's and RB's that go early the better for them. I think they truly know how this draft is loaded at the top with Defensive talent and they want one or two of those guys to fall to #9 that they truly have their eye on. They will probably also show interest in Mike Williams to drive up his demand.

Yep.

I think Foster, Williams, or one of the DE's would be nice picks. I'm not as sold on the DE's...but DE is a position that we won't go into free agency and sign a star at.

I think a guy like Foster, would look really nice behind Billings and Atkins.

I like Williams in that Green...while still young is like 29. WR's tend to start slowing down when they hit the other side of 30.

Fournette or Cook wouldn't be bad picks...I just don't think we have the offensive line for them. What I worry about with Fournette is he doesn't really make people miss. He relies on power and that may not work in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 12:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We would definately have to change things up from last year but we should anyways with that pathetic showing.

We paid Hewitt, play the frickin' guy. When we did play him we were able to run well. The coaches never seem to
stick with what is working. Re-watch the Bronco game last year, early on we just moved their D-line at will. Then
we got behind and started panicking.

Still, i am with you on Dalvin Cook. He makes defenders miss and can take it the distance on any given play with
his vision in the open field and dynamic playmaking ability. Fournette needs that initial inside hole and than he is
gone. Defenses just need to gang tackle to stop him, unlike Cook.

Abso-frickin-lutely brother!  I just don't get that, especially the way this team struggles in run blocking.

Yeah, they each have their strengths and weaknesses, as do most backs.  I like Cook as the more complete player at 9, but I would rather have a dynamic defender at 9.  All I've maintained is if I were picking RB at 9, it'd be Dalvin Cook.  Devonta Freeman was another FSU back I wanted, and Cook is better than him.  I'm just not sold on LF.....unless you have a punishing oline to go with his punishing style.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 12:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep.

I think Foster, Williams, or one of the DE's would be nice picks. I'm not as sold on the DE's...but DE is a position that we won't go into free agency and sign a star at.

I think a guy like Foster, would look really nice behind Billings and Atkins.

I like Williams in that Green...while still young is like 29. WR's tend to start slowing down when they hit the other side of 30.

Fournette or Cook wouldn't be bad picks...I just don't think we have the offensive line for them. What I worry about with Fournette is he doesn't really make people miss. He relies on power and that may not work in the NFL. 

Eh, both these backs did their damage with poor Offensive Lines in college.

But i agree on Fournette not being able to make people miss, Dalvin fits here much better.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 12:28 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Fournette is 240lbs. at combine and will not do Bench Press. Mayock on NFL Net. Just said those a some surprising "red flags" for him. He played at 225 at LSU. Coming in 15lbs. Heavy at combine and a 240lbs athlete should not be scared to Bench Press, barring injury.

That is a huge red flag.  Hurt last year, and then show up 15 pounds over weight is not a good sign at all.  As a pure player, I would much prefer Cook.  That said, there seems to be a great deal of baggage with him.

At number nine I would rather have a Reuben Foster or big time pass rusher than a running back, but do think they need RB help somewhere.  Gio is going to be a big question mark and unless we play Cleveland 16 times next year, you certainly can't count on Hill for production.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 01:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Abso-frickin-lutely brother!  I just don't get that, especially the way this team struggles in run blocking.

Yeah, they each have their strengths and weaknesses, as do most backs.  I like Cook as the more complete player at 9, but I would rather have a dynamic defender at 9.  All I've maintained is if I were picking RB at 9, it'd be Dalvin Cook.  Devonta Freeman was another FSU back I wanted, and Cook is better than him.  I'm just not sold on LF.....unless you have a punishing oline to go with his punishing style.

You're an FSU fan.  Is Cook a bad guy or just got in some stupid situations?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 01:30 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote:  
Here's the thing though Bob; Jax has Coughlin back and he's in the FO. He loves,loves to have a stud RB. After some thought, I think they may take one of the big two. Not sure which, but with TC there, I could see it happening.

Not sure about that...  The only back I recall him ever taking high was Fred Taylor in J-ville, and that was forever ago.  His only other stud back was Tiki Barber in NY, whom Coughlin didn't draft.  He has pretty much always taken the RB-by-committee approach, both in J-ville and NY.  I think he's much more likely to go O-line or defense.

That said, Fournette does remind me a bit of Taylor (big and fast), while Cook looks like a slightly bigger Tiki.  
Reply/Quote
I've heard Cook has fumbling issues though...
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 01:10 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You're an FSU fan.  Is Cook a bad guy or just got in some stupid situations?

Some arrests. Bad crew he hangs with. Teams fear he'll bring them with him when he signs.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 01:10 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You're an FSU fan.  Is Cook a bad guy or just got in some stupid situations?

I think it was young dumb shit.  There was a 3rd party eye witness that came forward in the assault case that got it dismissed.  Also, there were multiple stories coming from the other party, and most everyone involved was hammered drunk.  To be clear, I wanted Jameis gone, and I wanted De'Andre Johnson gone.....immediately.  In Johnson's case, that meant we rolled with Gholson and McGuire at QB, and now Francios.....still wanted his ass gone.  That said, I never got that feeling from Cook.  I posted some links about all of it in the draft forum in a thread about Fournette if you're interested any further. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've heard Cook has fumbling issues though...

He did fumble quite a bit early on, but has gotten better.  Still, you'd have to consider it.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 01:07 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: That is a huge red flag.  Hurt last year, and then show up 15 pounds over weight is not a good sign at all.  As a pure player, I would much prefer Cook.  That said, there seems to be a great deal of baggage with him.

At number nine I would rather have a Reuben Foster or big time pass rusher than a running back, but do think they need RB help somewhere.  Gio is going to be a big question mark and unless we play Cleveland 16 times next year, you certainly can't count on Hill for production.

Not to mention, he skipped their Bowl Game....not a good look, IMO.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 01:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think it was young dumb shit.  There was a 3rd party eye witness that came forward in the assault case that got it dismissed.  Also, there were multiple stories coming from the other party, and most everyone involved was hammered drunk.  To be clear, I wanted Jameis gone, and I wanted De'Andre Johnson gone.....immediately.  In Johnson's case, that meant we rolled with Gholson and McGuire at QB, and now Francios.....still wanted his ass gone.  That said, I never got that feeling from Cook.  I posted some links about all of it in the draft forum in a thread about Fournette if you're interested any further. ThumbsUp

I read a Sentinel article that listed arrests going all the way back to high school (most were dismissed or charges never filed).  As a dog lover the thing that bothered me most was him being cited for having puppies chained to a tree with no collars so the chains were wrapped around their necks.  That really bothered me, but hopefully with NFL money he can afford some dog collars...
Reply/Quote
sign white, Z and Mangold and this might make sense.

what makes more sense is to sign these guys and draft a decent back in round 2 or 3.

I think this is a curveball because they hope the two top RBs and a QB get drafted before 9 so that we can get an edge rusher.

The lack of a pass rush last year was almost as fatal as the awful offensive line play.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 01:30 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I read a Sentinel article that listed arrests going all the way back to high school (most were dismissed or charges never filed).  As a dog lover the thing that bothered me most was him being cited for having puppies chained to a tree with no collars so the chains were wrapped around their necks.  That really bothered me, but hopefully with NFL money he can afford some dog collars...

Yeah, that didn't set well with me either....there was the BB guns and stuff...mostly dumb stuff.  You should check out the letter he wrote to FSU fans and coaches, it's pretty good.  I don't recall ever reading one of those from a departing player.....but to be fair, my memory is fading quickly. Smirk

Reply/Quote
Smokescreen
Reply/Quote