Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermediate step to beginning of life uncovered
One of the big questions in biogenesis was how did chemicals combine to form information containing molecules such as RNA. These scientists think they have uncovered an intermediate step. It doesn't solve the question, but brings us one step closer to understanding how life began:

By showing that it's possible for tRNA to discriminate between molecules, and that the links can work without "help," Carter thinks he's found a way for the information storage of chemical structures like tRNA to have arisen — a crucial piece of passing on genetic traits. Combined with the work on amino acids and temperature, it offers insight into how early life might have evolved.

This work still doesn't answer the ultimate question of how life began, but it does show a mechanism for the appearance of the genetic codes that pass on inherited traits, which got evolution rolling.

http://news.yahoo.com/origin-life-story-may-found-missing-123319318.html

This is a great discussion you have started, figured I would add this to the mix.
(06-07-2015, 10:03 AM)Beaker Wrote: One of the big questions in biogenesis was how did chemicals combine to form information containing molecules such as RNA. These scientists think they have uncovered an intermediate step. It doesn't solve the question, but brings us one step closer to understanding how life began:

By showing that it's possible for tRNA to discriminate between molecules, and that the links can work without "help," Carter thinks he's found a way for the information storage of chemical structures like tRNA to have arisen — a crucial piece of passing on genetic traits. Combined with the work on amino acids and temperature, it offers insight into how early life might have evolved.

This work still doesn't answer the ultimate question of how life began, but it does show a mechanism for the appearance of the genetic codes that pass on inherited traits, which got evolution rolling.

http://news.yahoo.com/origin-life-story-may-found-missing-123319318.html

When I first saw the thread title, I thought you were gonna say "Just add water". Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
And eventually we'll get to the point where people are clearly crazy for believing God created this because scientists all agree it was "just there".
(06-07-2015, 08:47 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: And eventually we'll get to the point where people are clearly crazy for believing God created this because scientists all agree it was "just there".

Many people are already called crazy for their religious beliefs...just look at ISIS right now. But as science uncovers more and more of how things work, less and less of it will be attributed to mysterious origins.
(06-07-2015, 08:47 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: And eventually we'll get to the point where people are clearly crazy for believing God created this because scientists all agree it was "just there".

It depends on if a scientific consensus is reached through rigorous experimentation, predictive accuracy and repeatable testing.

You know... Cuz that's like, what science is...
(06-09-2015, 01:11 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: It depends on if a scientific consensus is reached through rigorous experimentation, predictive accuracy and repeatable testing.

You know... Cuz that's like, what science is...

But what's the point of doing all that work and wasting all that time and money that could be spent on the church, when I already have a book that explains everything?  Ninja
Keep hope alive Gentlemen. You, nor your children will ever see a day where man can say life began and it wasn't because of God.

The more Science uncovers, the more 'randomness' is chipped away from and ID belief grows.

Everything you see around you didn't "just happen". Everything didn't come from nothing. The complexities of the human brain didn't just evolve over the span of years. Fundamental Interactions aren't as exact as they are "just because".

I absolutely love Science and anything scientific. It interests me for hours on end and it's never caused me to doubt my beliefs.

It baffles my mind that anyone who considers themselves semi-smart can look at the exactness that is necessary to keep this planet and life going, and go "randomness", "just because", "it just happened".

Science will continue to uncover answers to previously unknown questions because that's what they do. And it will never lead to a conclusion that life began without God.

Ever. Mark it down. Put a check next to it. Quote me.

Nevah.

P.S. I hate to do this, as much as i love zombie movies and the like. To all my zombie-loving friends; you will never see a zombie apocalypse, a devastating war/nuclear incident/pandemic/alien invasion/anything that would lead to an end or almost end to civilization that would contradict what is written about the end times in Revelation.

Mark that one down too, while you're at it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(06-10-2015, 10:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Keep hope alive Gentlemen. You, nor your children will ever see a day where man can say life began and it wasn't because of God.

The more Science uncovers, the more 'randomness' is chipped away from and ID belief grows.

Everything you see around you didn't "just happen". Everything didn't come from nothing. The complexities of the human brain didn't just evolve over the span of years. Fundamental Interactions aren't as exact as they are "just because".

I absolutely love Science and anything scientific. It interests me for hours on end and it's never caused me to doubt my beliefs.

It baffles my mind that anyone who considers themselves semi-smart can look at the exactness that is necessary to keep this planet and life going, and go "randomness", "just because", "it just happened".

Science will continue to uncover answers to previously unknown questions because that's what they do. And it will never lead to a conclusion that life began without God.

Nevah.

P.S. I hate to do this, as much as i love zombie movies and the like. To all my zombie-loving friends; you will never see a zombie apocalypse, a devastating war/nuclear incident/pandemic/alien invasion/anything that would lead to an end or almost end to civilization that would contradict what is written about the end times in Revelation.

Now you've done it...
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-10-2015, 11:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Now you've done it...

Big Grin

I don't feel you've been truly challenged yet.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(06-10-2015, 10:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It baffles my mind that anyone who considers themselves semi-smart can look at the exactness that is necessary to keep this planet and life going, and go "randomness", "just because", "it just happened".

Science doesn't claim any of the things you have in quotations...ID believers do. Science is uncovering the processes, piece by piece. The picture will continue to become more clear. There is a reason the religious voice is becoming louder. Its because the realization of losing ground is setting in. We will not see an end to religion in our lifetime, but we may certainly see things like the discovery of life elsewhere in the universe, and an explanation for how life began. As these things are uncovered, the old explanations offered by religion will go by the wayside just as the flat Earth explanation, and the universe revolving around the Earth have.
(06-11-2015, 10:06 AM)Beaker Wrote: As these things are uncovered, the old explanations offered by religion will go by the wayside just as the flat Earth explanation, and the universe revolving around the Earth have.

So was it science or the Bible that claimed a flat earth and Geocentric Universe?

I do agree with your assertion that science continues to prove science wrong.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-11-2015, 12:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I do agree with your assertion that science continues to prove science wrong.

Science can adapt as new discoveries are made, and you equate that with a bad thing?
(06-11-2015, 10:06 AM)Beaker Wrote: Science doesn't claim any of the things you have in quotations...ID believers do. Science is uncovering the processes, piece by piece. The picture will continue to become more clear. There is a reason the religious voice is becoming louder. Its because the realization of losing ground is setting in. We will not see an end to religion in our lifetime, but we may certainly see things like the discovery of life elsewhere in the universe, and an explanation for how life began. As these things are uncovered, the old explanations offered by religion will go by the wayside just as the flat Earth explanation, and the universe revolving around the Earth have.

Being all sciency, shouldn't you not exclude the possibility of a higher power before making sweeping statements like this? Cause, you know, sweeping statements brought you the flat Earth theory...
(06-11-2015, 01:24 PM)Beaker Wrote: Science can adapt as new discoveries are made, and you equate that with a bad thing?

Nope, you were actually the one that brought up the erroneous theories of flat earth and Geocentric Universe and used them in the same sentence as religious explinations.

Perhaps it was you that was attempting to equate religious explinations with a bad thing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-10-2015, 10:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Keep hope alive Gentlemen. You, nor your children will ever see a day where man can say life began and it wasn't because of God.

Nevah.

get off my lawn

Nevah.

I don't think you can rule out the zombies. We already eat fungus. And eating bugs is gaining in popularity. If one of these parasitic fungi evolves to target humans we could have a zombie type event on our hands.

This is probably the scariest thing I have ever seen and it was on a nature show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90mEGkhfm1U

Nevah.

Yup exactly.  ThumbsUp
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(06-11-2015, 10:06 AM)Beaker Wrote: Science doesn't claim any of the things you have in quotations...ID believers do. Science is uncovering the processes, piece by piece. The picture will continue to become more clear. There is a reason the religious voice is becoming louder. Its because the realization of losing ground is setting in. We will not see an end to religion in our lifetime, but we may certainly see things like the discovery of life elsewhere in the universe, and an explanation for how life began. As these things are uncovered, the old explanations offered by religion will go by the wayside just as the flat Earth explanation, and the universe revolving around the Earth have.

I know Science doesn't take a stance. I'm talking about the people that don't believe in ID. Those that would say there's no such thing, while ignoring the structure of how the Universe is put together, believing that everything came from nothing. There's plenty of them out there.

There is no realization of losing ground when things that are discovered lessen the likely-hood that they occur randomly and with no design or planning.

You won't see the end of Religion in anyone's lifetime. It's not a fad, like the Beatles Ninja, that will go away in time. 

(06-11-2015, 04:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don't think you can rule out the zombies. We already eat fungus. And eating bugs is gaining in popularity. If one of these parasitic fungi evolves to target humans we could have a zombie type event on our hands.

This is probably the scariest thing I have ever seen and it was on a nature show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90mEGkhfm1U

I'll continue to enjoy my zombie shows on TV but i'll never worry about it really happening. 

That was a cool vid though. ThumbsUp