Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Is Whit Worth $20 Million?
Hard to argue the Bengals need offensive line help for Andy. However, is Whit worth $20 million to come back? I'd rather pick up a solid draft pick myself. Whit is a pro bowler, but the Bengals have to realize he is aging and could be limited due to injury potential. Some other team would pick him up in a flash though. A hard decision by the front office. Whit has been loyal to the team, but loyalty means nothing these days. It's all about business.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:05 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Hard to argue the Bengals need offensive line help for Andy. However, is Whit worth $20 million to come back? I'd rather pick up a solid draft pick myself. Whit is a pro bowler, but the Bengals have to realize he is aging and could be limited due to injury potential. Some other team would pick him up in a flash though. A hard decision by the front office. Whit has been loyal to the team, but loyalty means nothing these days. It's all about business.

where did you get that 20 mil figure and for how long!

Reply/Quote
I'm hoping the $20 mil you're suggesting is for 2-3 years lol I think on a 1 year deal he'd want $10 mil but if we give him 2 yrs maybe $16 total? I'd do that for him
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:07 PM)RASCAL Wrote: where did you get that 20 mil figure and for how long!

It was on ESPN the other day. Not sure of the details. Says he wants $20 million. Might be for 2 years.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:10 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'm hoping the $20 mil you're suggesting is for 2-3 years lol I think on a 1 year deal he'd want $10 mil but if we give him 2 yrs maybe $16 total? I'd do that for him

Same here. He is the most important player to bring back this year by far and like you said for atleast a couple years.

His value is also in his knowledge and he is a coach on the field.

Don't know how anyone would think a draft pick would replace him.

Heck i would make him the O-line coach over PA in a heartbeat when he is done.
Reply/Quote
Could be closer to what the franchise tag is going to be.
Reply/Quote
A young Whitworth is. He's already the oldest starting LT in football...

His play is going to decline sooner than later. That's just not a position that players age well at unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
Whit is one of the 10 best Bengals in history and one of my 5 favorite players in history.

I certainly hope he returns and I echo the comment about making him OL coach.

Wonder why Munoz has never had the chance to be our OL coach. Surely he knows way more than Alexander?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:27 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Whit is one of the 10 best Bengals in history and one of my 5 favorite players in history.

I certainly hope he returns and I echo the comment about making him OL coach.

Wonder why Munoz has never had the chance to be our OL coach. Surely he knows way more than Alexander?

Being a good player and being a good coach are 2 different things. The skillset doesn't necessarily translate.
Reply/Quote
A starting left tackle is worth two years, $20 million all day. Yes, he is aging and that will catch up with him, but the Bengals screwed themselves with the drafting of Ogbuehi and Fisher. If Whit walks, and Ogbuehi is named the starting left tackle, Dalton should pull a Carson and refuse to come to camp. There is no one other than Whitworth to protect his blindside, he will be hit and injured on a regular basis.

It is easy to say "draft a replacement at number nine", but this is not a great tackle draft from what I have heard and it would be the same geniuses making the decision who drafted those other two "studs" in 2015.
Reply/Quote
Is he worth it? Yes.

Do you want Ced trying to block Andy's blindside?
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Being a good player and being a good coach are 2 different things. The skillset doesn't necessarily translate.

Also, why is the assumption that he would even want to be a coach?  NFL coaches work insane hours and are under intense stress.  From what I understand he regularly gives paid speeches and does motivational activities, which I am certain pay more than being an assistant coach under Mike Brown.  If I'm him, no way would I want to do that.
Reply/Quote
If it comes to that we will franchise him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Right now we currently have the 3rd cheapest offensive line in the NFL. I'm pretty sure we can sink some money into it, especially if it actually helps this line.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have a 60 year old Whitworth than a 3rd year OGGIEBOGGIE all day all year long.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:37 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Also, why is the assumption that he would even want to be a coach?  NFL coaches work insane hours and are under intense stress.  From what I understand he regularly gives paid speeches and does motivational activities, which I am certain pay more than being an assistant coach under Mike Brown.  If I'm him, no way would I want to do that.

That's what goes through my mind every time someone says "the Bengals should hire Munoz or Krumrie" or some other retired player to coach. These guys are rich and playing golf every day and are retired royalty..... why would they want to???
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:05 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Hard to argue the Bengals need offensive line help for Andy. However, is Whit worth $20 million to come back? I'd rather pick up a solid draft pick myself. Whit is a pro bowler, but the Bengals have to realize he is aging and could be limited due to injury potential. Some other team would pick him up in a flash though. A hard decision by the front office. Whit has been loyal to the team, but loyalty means nothing these days. It's all about business.

Well, it depends on if you want Andy to survive next season.  In a nutshell, Whit has to come back no matter what.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hogwash on the "Whit is too old to invest good money in" theory. He's 35, not 45...

Here's 50 guys who played in the NFL 40 and beyond.

http://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/40-and-over-club/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A young Whitworth is. He's already the oldest starting LT in football...

His play is going to decline sooner than later. That's just not a position that players age well at unfortunately.

Ok. So the alternative is:
1- On the team. That's a scary thought considering how well our most recent heir apparents have played. Keep Whit.
2- On another team. So we spend $10 million or so a year on some veteran... who another team let walk. If whoever the hypothetical player was that good, why did they? Was it because he eventually might not be as good as he is? If that's the case, keep Whit.
3- In the draft. We spend another high draft pick on a position where we've recently spent high draft picks and hope for better, faster results at a position where rookies typically struggle the first few seasons. So, best thing to do until the new pick — or one of the last two — blossoms is to play the best tackle we've got. So... keep Whit.

White may be the oldest starting LT, but he's also one of the best. And he's a quality guy and he wants to play here.

Pay the man what he wants, tell him thank you, and move on to fixing the spots that need fixing.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's what goes through my mind every time someone says "the Bengals should hire Munoz or Krumrie" or some other retired player to coach. These guys are rich and playing golf every day and are retired royalty..... why would they want to???

Right!  Let's say he gets $30k per speech, which would actually be pretty low.  If he gives 25 speeches per year that is $750k income.  Not to mention the money he should have in the bank (he does not have 7 ex wives and 15 kids to support), the income that his investments bring in, and the money he makes from announcing games.  No way in hell would I want to give that up to be an offensive line coach!
Reply/Quote