Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's officially over
(10-01-2019, 01:23 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Sure seemed like Pittsburgh watched the 49er film and attacked the same area.  Maybe we didn't give up huge chunks of yards like the 9er game, but we weren't effective either...not enough to stop what their game plan was

It sure seems like teams are able to easily study film against the Bengals and find the weak spots but the Bengals don't seem to be able to do the same, eh?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I posted the below in the All things Andy sub forum:

On one of the sacks last night Andy looked like he was literally frozen. I have never seen anything like it. I'm not sure if a permanent benching is the answer put when he struggles like he has in the last 2 games they need to pull him and let him watch . He's a smart guy maybe he can pick up something. Hell he might be better at identifying things than our current staff.

As to the OP: Nothing is over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 01:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 2 combined tackles for Pratt vs PIT. 1 solo, 1 assist.

The same as Atkins. He will get better. Atkins is over the hill.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:13 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I give you this,O-4 with Dalton and he is worse than awlful.Throws over their heads,behind them in the ground and just terrible.I am going to sick the rest of this season.I am checking myself in to the local va and not coming out again until we win a superbowl,so I guess I will be there for another 50 years and Zac Taylor,you are in over your brain cells and if you do not put finley in you are not wanting to win.
If you live 50 years in the VA that would be equal to winning the Super Bowl and the World Series.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 08:28 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: That was last night.  Up to this point he hasn't been putting up with those kind of numbers.  And I'm assigning blame where it belongs, the stellar play of our offensive line.  We've had no running game up until last night where he was able to run a little.  I'm am just a little puzzled at why everyone seems to not realize our OL is junk.  

Mixon has hit 4.0+ the last two weeks. He's only gotten 15 carries each game though. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 08:39 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Trey Hopkins is “Cincinnati good.”  He’s not “NFL good.”

If he's not "nfl good" why did PFF have him rated as top 5 before this week?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Mixon has hit 4.0+ the last two weeks. He's only gotten 15 carries each game though. 

Which is another questionable thing about the play calling. The Steelers had a bottom 5 rush defense.

Run Mixon on 1st down and get 2nd and 5...and the Steelers can't blitz as much. Then, you setup screens and play-action.

And what about Bernard? He's paid like a Top 15 back and 4 touches!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 09:26 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Yes, Andy didn’t play well last night.  Yes the o line is, well, offensive.

Did y’all miss the defense giving up 27 unanswered points?  Allowing a rookie qb, making his second start, to go 24-28?  I didn’t hear Dunlaps name called after showing the starting lineup.  I heard Geno’s name once.  Gonna blame all that on dalton too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES, the entire team sucks (mostly). But you CAN'T replace an entire team like you can replace 1 QB. 

NO, replacing that 1 QB isn't going to magically transform this team into playoff contenders overnight. 

BUT, as i've already said numerous times, QB is the most important and most impactful position ON THE FIELD. A good QB can keep a team with a bad defense in the game and can put an average team over the top by his play alone--sometimes that's just completing a few more passes that lead to a few more points. 

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 10:32 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ll never forget the photo of Carson Palmer sopping up the blood gushing from his nose with a towel.  That was 2010.

*2008 i believe. Against the Saints?

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 10:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, it is.  Maybe they just needed to hit rock bottom, like they did last night, in order to be convinced that it's time to stand up and fight as a team?

Like i said in the GD thread last night...

There is no rock bottom in the Bengals barrel. It's an infinity barrel. 

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 11:17 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: There’s no “diversion angle” here.  Most of the team played like tiger shit.  I even said dalton played like crap.  But he didn’t give up 27 points by himself.

Mixon, Billings and Bullock.  They played well.  Mixon did about as well as he could under the circumstances.  Billings had some fight in him.  Sad when you have to list a kicker who goes 1-1 on field attempts.

We don’t need to rehash Dalton’s 8 year career after a bad game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget Boyd. That guy goes hard every down. 

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 07:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. The OL does in fact suck terribly, but Andy Dalton himself has actually won a game (Jets 2016) where he was sacked 7 times. SEVEN TIMES! So the nonsense about “Tom Brady couldn’t win with this OL” is just that...nonsense. QB’s win all the time with subpar lines. Every opposing QB I watch does a better job of moving around and extending plays. Dalton does NOTHING to help himself. I think he’s done.

Good point about the Jets game, and I agree with your last sentence. I think he is done.

Back to the Jets....at that point, he had improved almost every aspect of his game....see 2014, and 15. He came into 2016 with that same look, and got pummeled. As you noted, he had a good day in New York in that game. As that season wore on, he lost more and more trust in the line. He simply doesn't trust them even when there isn't horrible pressure, IMO. Last night, pressure was coming from EVERYWHERE. I won't put that on him, but he's definitely showing signs of shell shell shock in other games. 

As for being done.....he threw a ball at an official after a sack, and slung his helmet into the bench in disgust. I've never seen that from him. Officially Bungalized.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 07:29 AM)Big Boss Wrote: You need a QB that can maneuver the pocket, and make plays when things break down.  We should have had Josh Allen dead to rights several times last week and he managed to escape pressure and make plays.  This is a guy in his second year.  

The offensive line is trash.  That much is abundantly clear.  But the line breaking down shouldn't be an automatic death sentence for a play.  We are at a point now where if even one defender breaks through, I figure the play is done for.  

We need offensive linemen, and we maybe need a quarterback.  Both things can be true.  It doesn't have to be one or the other.  And we need linebackers.  And we have to do all of this in the draft alone.

We're ******.

We are ******, but man, when you try to run playaction, and a dude strip sacks you about the time you complete the play fake.....ya ain't gonna do much with that.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Does Dalton deserve ANY blame according to you?

No, because 3-5 defenders are able to cover every single square inch of an offensive backfield and there's never a pocket for Dalton to step up into and there's also never any lane for him to escape, since those defenders are covering the aforementioned 'every square inch' of turf in the offensive backfield.  Mellow

It's just simply impossible for ANY single QB alive or dead to have any success with the Bengals offense because not one single lineman can block a defender for more that .90 seconds. AND they can cover the entire field.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, that bad huh? Didn't get to watch the game yet as I will on Gamepass later but if Dalton is folding like this and 
panicking like this it may be time to move on. Maybe he got ruined by such shitty line play over the years and there is 
no way of him getting past it. Any time we lose to the Steelers sucks but getting dominated by them with a beat up 
team makes no sense to me.

You are usually right BF74 and I pretty much always agree with you so your thread really jumped out to me. Mellow

Yeah. Dalton has THAT guy pissed, and i didn't think you could get that guy pissed.  Nervous

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:45 PM)Housh Wrote: Red Rifle seems like a cool nickname someone would have to earn

JJ Watt had a better nickname for him. 

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 08:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dalton hasn’t thrown for 4K yds or had a PR of 90 in 3 years.

Jets have Darnold
Skins have Haskins
Bears have Trubisky
Cardinals have Murray
Titans have Mariota
Vikes have Cousins (who is better than Dalton)
Phins are playing for a top pick to draft a QB
Jags have Foles and Uncle Rico

None of those teams are trading for a washed up QB who is awful in prime time and had never won a playoff game.

They’re better off sticking with their young guys some of which are still unknowns, but almost all have higher ceilings that current Andy Dalton.

Mariota? I've never seen much out of him.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Which is another questionable thing about the play calling. The Steelers had a bottom 5 rush defense.

Run Mixon on 1st down and get 2nd and 5...and the Steelers can't blitz as much. Then, you setup screens and play-action.

And what about Bernard? He's paid like a Top 15 back and 4 touches!

Bad usage, bad rotation and bad (predictable) play calling. 

Steve Young said something postgame..i wasn't watching just heard it..about 'where is the innovative offense?'

I've been wondering the same thing. Basic formations and plays, just like always. Absolutely nothing to cover their deficiencies, or to even try. 

Oh, look...another screen pass where there are 2 or 3 defenders standing right near the receiver.  Shocked

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get that, but we might actually have to give Dalton another 4 or 5 years as our starting QB in order to avoid putting a new QB behind a bad line.  Dalton looked completely furious last night, so to expect him to just put up with this until we finally fix our o-line through the draft is wishful thinking, at best.

The biggest issue I have is that we went into the 2019 draft saying that we have to fix our biggest issues at LB and o-line and we are going to go into the 2020 draft with the exact same issues.  What year will it be when we say FINALLY our o-line is good enough to replace Dalton?  2020?  2022?  In the year 2525?

AGAIN - this isn't about replacing Dalton or me even wanting that, it's about admitting that we are going to have a hard time fixing this o-line by the time Dalton is done.

By my calculations the Oline will be good enough to risk a try with a new QB by the 2022 choice. But then we'll have to wait until we have good weapons for him, RB, Stud #1 receiver, TE. So 2024

But.......then we'll have to wait on a top shelf Defense. So 2027

However, then we'll have to wait on a good QB coach so 2030 would be my guess as to when we could possibly at the very earliest risk a rookie QB
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: YES, the entire team sucks (mostly). But you CAN'T replace an entire team like you can replace 1 QB. 

NO, replacing that 1 QB isn't going to magically transform this team into playoff contenders overnight. 

BUT, as i've already said numerous times, QB is the most important and most impactful position ON THE FIELD. A good QB can keep a team with a bad defense in the game and can put an average team over the top by his play alone--sometimes that's just completing a few more passes that lead to a few more points. 

IF we get a Top 2 pick, we basically HAVE to go QB.

To the posters who are like: We need to draft OL and LB with EVERY pick...look at how our draft picks are performing this year. MJ is terrible. Jonah is hurt. Sample is a role player. There's not much impact.

We HAVE to use free agency to sign a couple quality free agents at LB and OL. You can't bank on the draft.
Reply/Quote