Poll: Would you want Joe Brady as our next HC?
Yes. He’s the real deal, and what we thought we were getting in Taylor.
No. I’d rather have an experienced HC this time.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Joe Brady?
(09-20-2021, 09:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m sure we could get some retread like Jason Garrett. But that would basically be like going back to Marvin, imo. Good but not great. And definitely not someone you’re going to win a Super Bowl with.

I'd rather try Brady, Bieniemy, Leftwich, or maybe Eberflus.

Or maybe the Bengals just take a different approach with Taylor and take his play calling away. He isn't good enough to handle HC and OC duties.
He might be a decent HC if he can hand the play calling to someone else.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Philly fans may have thought that, but Reid had many postseason wins and even a SB appearance in Philly.
Arians too.
A majority of the experienced HCs that become available have never won a playoff game.

Well i mean do most of the experienced head coach that become available have a better record than 7-26-1 through their first 34 games?  

I'm just asking because my guess is most of the guys sitting on the street that are experienced head coaches don't have that poor of record. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:15 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Well i mean do most of the experienced head coach that become available have a better record than 7-26-1 through their first 34 games?  

I'm just asking because my guess is most of the guys sitting on the street that are experienced head coaches don't have that poor of record. 

No, they don't have that bad of a record. Taylor is in a special category when it comes to record.
But what's the goal? Get back to 7-9 wins or get deep into the playoffs?
If the goal is to get deep into the playoffs, I wouldn't have any confidence the available experienced HCs would get the Bengals there.

So is the thought to bring in someone like Garrett to get the team back to middle-of-the-pack within a few years then try to find a new HC to take them deep into the playoffs?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You must not be paying attention to whats going on in down in Jacksonville. Being a proven HC in college means nothing at the NFL level.

And Brady would have multiple years experience by next season.

But he coached Burrow in college! That's apparently the only qualification one needs to be considered for the Bengals HC for some around here.

But, I get it someone with HC experience, albeit college HC experience  should NOT be considered for Zac's replacement, but someone with no HC experience and little coordinator experience (basically Zac Taylor 2.0), now THAT is HC material. Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: No, they don't have that bad of a record. Taylor is in a special category when it comes to record.
But what's the goal? Get back to 7-9 wins or get deep into the playoffs?
If the goal is to get deep into the playoffs, I wouldn't have any confidence the available experienced HCs would get the Bengals there.

So is the thought to bring in someone like Garrett to get the team back to middle-of-the-pack within a few years then try to find a new HC to take them deep into the playoffs?

I'd have 0 issue with that.  At least respectability is better than the laughing stock of the NFL like they've been the past 6 seasons.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s already interviewed with multiple teams (Jets, Eagles, Falcons, Texans). 

And he wasn't hired? Hmm. I wonder why that is. The Jets, arguably one of the only teams worse than us, didn't hire him? Probably because they don't have Burrow at QB. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:20 AM)PhilHos Wrote: But he coached Burrow in college! That's apparently the only qualification one needs to be considered for the Bengals HC for some around here.

But, I get it someone with HC experience, albeit college HC experience  should NOT be considered for Zac's replacement, but someone with no HC experience and little coordinator experience (basically Zac Taylor 2.0), now THAT is HC material. Rolleyes

Taylor didn't even really have coordinator experience. He was an interim OC for the Dolphins for part of one season, and he was bad.
He was OC for UC for one season and was bad.

Brady has had more OC experience and (way) more success with it than Taylor ever had.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:20 AM)PhilHos Wrote: But he coached Burrow in college! That's apparently the only qualification one needs to be considered for the Bengals HC for some around here.

Ridiculous comparison. Joe Brady has been successful at every stop. College and Pros. Taylor was terrible at UC, terrible here, and terrible as an interim OC in Miami. The only success he’s had was as a position coach.

All I have to say is look at 2018 LSU (especially Burrow) and then look at 2019. And then look at 2018-2020 Sam Darnold and then look at 2021 (small sample size but he looks great so far).

Brady took the proper path by becoming an OC first. Taylor skipped a step. And it shows.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:21 AM)PhilHos Wrote: And he wasn't hired? Hmm. I wonder why that is. The Jets, arguably one of the only teams worse than us, didn't hire him? Probably because they don't have Burrow at QB. Rolleyes

Eric Bieniemy has interviewed a bunch and hasn’t been hired yet either. You want to “bet” that will continue as well? That’s just how it goes sometimes. Too much emphasis on interviewing well and you end up with the Zac Taylor’s of the world.

And the Jets are probably already regretting their choice. Wilson looks as bad as Darnold did up there.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Taylor didn't even really have coordinator experience. He was an interim OC for the Dolphins for part of one season, and he was bad.
He was OC for UC for one season and was bad.

Brady has had more OC experience and (way) more success with it than Taylor ever had.

Except for the success as OC, Brady has almost the same experience as Taylor. Now, he may end up being a great HC - and if the Bengals hire him, I'll wish him nothing but success - but I'm more concerned with the possibility of him being Zac Taylor 2.0. I'd rather someone with more experience as either coordinator or head coach. 

If Brady would be a vast improvement over Taylor, people would list all the reasons why, and so far, the only qualifications I've seen for why Brady would be an improvement are that he coached Burrow in college during his record year and he's been a better OC than Taylor ever was or is. Wooooo, what a promising HC candidate. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
Bieniemy is going to USC.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Bieniemy is going to USC.

That's speculation at this point, but if it happens, it's probably good for him.
He's gotten interviewed the past few years for HC gigs in the NFL and no one has hired him in that role.
Might be good to go be HC at college to help build your resume.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That's speculation at this point, but if it happens, it's probably good for him.
He's gotten interviewed the past few years for HC gigs in the NFL and no one has hired him in that role.

Honestly, I think it hurts him that Andy Reid calls the plays on Sunday. Even if Bienemy has a major role in the offense doing so well, I think people are hesitant because he doesn't call the plays - as if that matters if he's the HC and hires an OC to call hte plays.

Either that or they find out he used to be a Bengal ...
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:58 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Except for the success as OC, Brady has almost the same experience as Taylor. Now, he may end up being a great HC - and if the Bengals hire him, I'll wish him nothing but success - but I'm more concerned with the possibility of him being Zac Taylor 2.0. I'd rather someone with more experience as either coordinator or head coach. 

If Brady was such an improvement, people would list all the reasons why, and so far, the only qualifications I've seen for why Brady would be an improvement are that he coached Burrow in college during his record year and he's been a better OC than Taylor ever was or is. Wooooo, what a promising HC candidate. Rolleyes

Can you please stop rolling your eyes every single post? We’re just having a discussion here. I do apologize for my “Lol” earlier (I think that was a reply to one of your posts). But you seem to be hand waving away what he did with Burrow and Chase pretty casually. Now, I don’t know if he’d be a good HC, but I do think he’d make our offense a lot better than it’s been since the Jay/Hue years.

As for the reasons why Brady could be a good candidate? He obviously has a short resume so far, but I would love to give a guy who was a passing game coordinator, Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd. That’s pretty close to what he was working with at LSU. We’ve seen what he can do with a very similar group. Only the best college season of all time…

I’ve also already mentioned several times how I’ve been impressed with what he’s doing with Sam Darnold so far (again - - most people chalked him up as a total bust at this point), but that will obviously have to continue for the rest of the season to really count much in his favor.

I mean, Sean McVay only had 3 seasons as an OC before landing the Rams job. Brady could just as easily end up becoming closer to him, than “Zac Taylor 2.0.”

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That's speculation at this point, but if it happens, it's probably good for him.

I’m sure that’s damn good money, too.

Reply/Quote
Whether people want Brady or similar or an experienced head coach doesn't really matter. The important thing is that our current coach just isn't cutting it. If we did go with Brady, Bieinemy, or Leftwich I would prefer to surround them with experienced coordinators. I would only want them to assume the head coach spot and not also be calling the plays.

The Zac experiment has been a bust. However, I am concerned on how long of a leash he gets if Burrow constantly stays in his corner saying he wants him here.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can you please stop rolling your eyes every single post? 

No.

(09-20-2021, 11:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: (I think that was a reply to one of your posts). But you seem to be hand waving away what he did with Burrow and Chase pretty casually.

Pretty much. Because that was college. You know the same reason why you don't think Burrow's college HC would make a good Bengals HC. Show a little consistency. 

How many times have good college coaches translated into good NFL coaches? Not that often or you'd see more good or great coaches coming to the NFL from college.

(09-20-2021, 11:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Now, I don’t know if he’d be a good HC, but I do think he’d make our offense a lot better than it’s been since the Jay/Hue years.

You want to bring Brady on as OC, I'm all for it. Brady certainly seems to be a good OC. But, we're not talking aobut OC, we're talking about HC. And, so unless you want ANOTHER head coach to call the plays, I don't know why you're pushing for Brady to be HC instead of OC.

(09-20-2021, 11:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As for the reasons why Brady could be a good candidate? He obviously has a short resume so far, but I would love to give a guy who was a passing game coordinator, Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd. That’s pretty close to what he was working with at LSU. We’ve seen what he can do with a very similar group. Only the best college season of all time…

I’ve also already mentioned several times how I’ve been impressed with what he’s doing with Sam Darnold so far (again - - most people chalked him up as a total bust at this point), but that will obviously have to continue for the rest of the season to really count much in his favor.

All good reasons for why Brady would be an improvement to our OC, none for why he would be an improvement to our HC. So far, the only reason is because he'd certainly be better than Taylor and let's be honest, we all thought ANYONE would be better than Marvin Lewis and we've been wrong about that so far. So, you'll excuse me if I'm not gung ho about replacing Taylor at HC with someone who would be better simply because he was a better OC. 

(09-20-2021, 11:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, Sean McVay only had 3 seasons as an OC before landing the Rams job. Brady could just as easily end up becoming closer to him, than “Zac Taylor 2.0.”

Hence, why I said I'd be okay with Brady as HC after he's been a successful OC for a few years.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:34 AM)PhilHos Wrote: No.

Pretty much. Because that was college. You know the same reason why you don't think Burrow's college HC would make a good Bengals HC. Show a little consistency. 

How many times have good college coaches translated into good NFL coaches? Not that often or you'd see more good or great coaches coming to the NFL from college.

You want to bring Brady on as OC, I'm all for it. Brady certainly seems to be a good OC. But, we're not talking aobut OC, we're talking about HC. And, so unless you want ANOTHER head coach to call the plays, I don't know why you're pushing for Brady to be HC instead of OC.

All good reasons for why Brady would be an improvement to our OC, none for why he would be an improvement to our HC. So far, the only reason is because he'd certainly be better than Taylor and let's be honest, we all thought ANYONE would be better than Marvin Lewis and we've been wrong about that so far. So, you'll excuse me if I'm not gung ho about replacing Taylor at HC with someone who would be better simply because he was a better OC. 

Hence, why I said I'd be okay with Brady as HC after he's been a successful OC for a few years.

Rolleyes

I’m not reading past the “no.”

You want to be a dick, then you can **** off. Plenty of other people to discuss this with.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:24 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: The Zac experiment has been a bust. However, I am concerned on how long of a leash he gets if Burrow constantly stays in his corner saying he wants him here.

Another losing season and I'm sure Burrow will be singing a different tune.

They can always keep Taylor on-staff as a cheerleading waterboy!
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:42 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Another losing season and I'm sure Burrow will be singing a different tune.

They can always keep Taylor on-staff as a cheerleading waterboy!

How about QB coach? He seemed good at that. Win/win.

Reply/Quote