Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow - Wow
(10-25-2020, 11:01 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Thank God, for Joe Burrow! Without him this year would be completely miserable!

Think about this Joe Burrow has passed for 2,023 yards so far after 7 games. He's currently averaging 289 yards a game against the toughest half of the schedule.

He's on pace for 4,624 yards. But we see Joe Burrow continually getting better and better.

We might actually have a rookie QB that passes legitimately 5,000 yards this year.

If I told you Joe Burrow was gonna pass for 5,000 yards at the beginning of the year, would you believe we would be looking at a top 10 pick next off-season at the near mid-way point of the year?

But to shine some hope, we could legitimately beat the Washington Team, Giants, Cowboys, Texans and Dolphins.

That would put us at 6-9-1. A lot of people would be very happy with that. I'm not saying any win is a sure thing with us right now, but we could seriously win those games.

It really is crazy what he's done so far, and with the o-line and run game issues. I posted earlier about how he joined Mahomes as the only rookies to ever have five 300 yard passing games in their first 7 starts...but it's even more of an elite club than that. Only 14 QB's in NFL history have ever thrown for 300 yards at least 5 times during ANY 7 games stretch (per Paul Dehner):

• Drew Brees (five times)
• Peyton Manning (three)
• Kurt Warner (two)
• Matt Ryan (two)
• Patrick Mahomes (two)
• Philip Rivers (two)
• Aaron Rodgers
• Andrew Luck
• Dan Fouts
• Drew Bledsoe
• Joe Montana
• Rich Gannon
• Steve Young
• Tom Brady
Reply/Quote
The biggest compliment I can give Joe Burrow is that he's made this shit show fun to watch. Baltimore aside; these games have been entertaining. Last year was brutal... Hard on the eyes even. Joe Burrow is as advertised. Higgins will be a star within 2 years.

I hope they hit defense hard in the draft next year, and sign O line help.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 02:29 AM)jason Wrote: The biggest compliment I can give Joe Burrow is that he's made this shit show fun to watch. Baltimore aside; these games have been entertaining. Last year was brutal... Hard on the eyes even. Joe Burrow is as advertised. Higgins will be a star within 2 years.

I hope they hit defense hard in the draft next year, and sign O line help.

A famous saying in real estate is the three most important things in real estate are location, location, location.

The three most important things for this team to fix going into next season are the trenches, trenches, and the trenches.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 02:43 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: A famous saying in real estate is the three most important things in real estate are location, location, location.

The three most important things for this team to fix going into next season are the trenches, trenches, and the trenches.

Just look at the only undefeated team left (Steelers). Both their lines are always good.

Their OL being allowed to hold at will certainly helps though...

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:22 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote:    

Might want to pump the brakes there.  I hope you're right, but way too soon to even think that way.  

He IS the QB we've been looking for, the real question is, will he end up being the Colt's LUCK we've all saw happen to him.
Reply/Quote
I am actually starting to wonder if he will set the franchise single-season yards record as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:18 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Start 6 of his career.

35 of 47

406 Yards passing, 36 Yards  rushing

4 Total Tds

75% Completion

112 Rating

84 QBR

We need to draft defense in the first 3 rounds, and buy 2 high end OL in FA

He is the best QB the franchise has ever had, and it is not even close.

Yes, the first INT was a lesson in (forget play calling on first down) that NFL defensive players have very quick reactions and can get vertical, but what Burrow is doing without preseason and the traditional offseason is amazing.  

Some specifics I noticed:  

His pocket awareness continues to escalate as familiarity with his line increases (then three of them go down...ugh).

He isn't afraid to throw it to the best defender (BTW, did anyone notice that Ward was on Tee a lot of the game?  Massive respect there) and beat him with pinpoint location.

Despite the fact that the Bengals largely gave up on the rushing attack (again), he was able to avoid the pass rush for the most part (that fumble was costly, though) and he always keeps his eyes downfield.  

He got down or out of bounds and avoided unnecessary hits.

Even when the Browns scored with 11 seconds left, I still thought they had a chance.  Arm strength?  Dude threw that ball over 60 yards with a perfect spiral.  

What we are seeing is our future.  No doubts.  They need to invest in a FA Guard like Thuney in the offseason.  I don't care what he costs.  He is proven, durable, and the absolute best in his position.  Put Thuney at RG, move XSF to LG, and the middle of the line is leaps and bounds better. 

I wasn't even that upset when Cleveland scored (until I saw Dunlap douching it up) because the Bengals aren't going to make the post season this year and they should be in the running for a top five pick.  We have our QB of the future.  A bit better protection and weapons, with an average defense and they will be right in the thick of it.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Sorry, I know everyone loves Ken (and rightfully-so) and yes the game has become signinificantly-more passing-based, but Burrow is just doing things that Ken never could do, either conceptually or athletically.

This is true, and can you imagine Burrow behind Kenny's line in 82?  And those weapons?  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, the first INT was a lesson in (forget play calling on first down) that NFL defensive players have very quick reactions and can get vertical, but what Burrow is doing without preseason and the traditional offseason is amazing.  

Some specifics I noticed:  

His pocket awareness continues to escalate as familiarity with his line increases (then three of them go down...ugh).

He isn't afraid to throw it to the best defender (BTW, did anyone notice that Ward was on Tee a lot of the game?  Massive respect there) and beat him with pinpoint location.

Despite the fact that the Bengals largely gave up on the rushing attack (again), he was able to avoid the pass rush for the most part (that fumble was costly, though) and he always keeps his eyes downfield.  

He got down or out of bounds and avoided unnecessary hits.

Even when the Browns scored with 11 seconds left, I still thought they had a chance.  Arm strength?  Dude threw that ball over 60 yards with a perfect spiral.  

What we are seeing is our future.  No doubts.  They need to invest in a FA Guard like Thuney in the offseason.  I don't care what he costs.  He is proven, durable, and the absolute best in his position.  Put Thuney at RG, move XSF to LG, and the middle of the line is leaps and bounds better. 

I wasn't even that upset when Cleveland scored (until I saw Dunlap douching it up) because the Bengals aren't going to make the post season this year and they should be in the running for a top five pick.  We have our QB of the future.  A bit better protection and weapons, with an average defense and they will be right in the thick of it.  

I was pleasantly surprised at his Hail Mary. That was a long hail Mary and he got it just shy of the endzone that if Tee catches that he could fall backwards and land in. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 10:56 PM)Destro Wrote: If he survives. We still have to play the Ravens again and the Steelers twice. 

I know it is the devil in me, but with the steelers running over people (although I give TN credit for trying to come back) I can't help but think of how the Bengals were playing in 2005 when someone's knee got blown up.  

Here piggy, piggy, piggy...
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 02:01 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: It really is crazy what he's done so far, and with the o-line and run game issues. I posted earlier about how he joined Mahomes as the only rookies to ever have five 300 yard passing games in their first 7 starts...but it's even more of an elite club than that. Only 14 QB's in NFL history have ever thrown for 300 yards at least 5 times during ANY 7 games stretch (per Paul Dehner):

• Drew Brees (five times)
• Peyton Manning (three)
• Kurt Warner (two)
• Matt Ryan (two)
• Patrick Mahomes (two)
• Philip Rivers (two)
• Aaron Rodgers
• Andrew Luck
• Dan Fouts
• Drew Bledsoe
• Joe Montana
• Rich Gannon
• Steve Young
• Tom Brady

This reminds me a bit of the racer that is driving a turd on the track, but keeping up with the elite cars.  What Burrow is doing with this team around him is amazing.  And although everyone is ready to kill the coaches (or at least the DC), has anyone noticed that now that Adeniji is on the field that they are getting significant contributions from EVERY DRAFT PICK except 7th rounder Bailey at this point?  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 02:43 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: A famous saying in real estate is the three most important things in real estate are location, location, location.

Absolutely.  And I know people will chime in:  "BPA!  BPA!", but I don't want any shiny new WR, a speedy CB, or any other position but trenches for at least the first three picks next year.

My dream is that Adeniji plays really well and either becomes our RT of the future or can kick inside to play RG, but for my RG I really want Joseph Thuney.  He will be just 28 years old, and is the absolute best at his position.  That allows the flexibility to move XSF to LG as it appears the hope we had for Jordan is still just that...hope.  

Then draft DT. DE, and OT/G.  But for the line, they can't wait for a draft pick to develop.  Thuney in 2021.  I am making bumper stickers.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:27 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am actually starting to wonder if he will set the franchise single-season yards record as a rookie.

The combination of his needing to throw because of being behind, and his improvement week over week make this a very plausible possibility.  

I am sure it will work out that the Ravens probably can sit guys the last week of the season, but if not, I can't wait to see how Burrow does facing them a second time.  He sure improved against Cleveland.  
Reply/Quote
He could easily have more td passes. Sample and Mixon come to mind. AJ had the PI in the first game and also the one yesterday Joe threw where it needed to be that Green couldn't secure.
Reply/Quote
It's been fun to watch the games because of Joe Burrow. He and the Bengals deserved to win yesterday, but Baker Mayfield put his big boy pants on and really played well (yes, the defense is bad but there were at least two amazing throws/catches). The Bengals may surprise a couple of upcoming opponents (TN and Pittsburgh, looking at you).
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:33 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: It's been fun to watch the games because of Joe Burrow. He and the Bengals deserved to win yesterday, but Baker Mayfield put his big boy pants on and really played well (yes, the defense is bad but there were at least two amazing throws/catches). The Bengals may surprise a couple of upcoming opponents (TN and Pittsburgh, looking at you).

Baker Owns the Bengals, unfortunately 

"Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow is racking up passing yards like no other rookie in NFL history.

Burrow passed for 406 yards today against the Browns, giving him 2,023 through seven games of his rookie season. That puts Burrow on pace for 4,624 passing yards this season, which would break the NFL’s rookie record, set by Andrew Luck with 4,374 passing yards in 2012.

Another rookie record owned by Luck, for the most 300-yard games for a rookie, is also well within Burrow’s grasp. Burrow now has five 300-yard passing games. Luck’s record is six games."

All of this with an oline that couldn't stop a sperm, and a coaching staff that could adjust their way out of velcro shoes. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:18 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Start 7 of his career.

35 of 47

406 Yards passing, 36 Yards  rushing

4 Total Tds

75% Completion

112 Rating

84 QBR

We need to draft defense in the first 3 rounds, and buy 2 high end OL in FA

He is the best QB the franchise has ever had, and it is not even close.

He is playing like what they said about Greg Cook. I hope he stays healthy.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hyperbolic statements aside, the kid is indeed a stud. Every bit as good as advertised. The “one year wonder” crowd didn’t have to wait very long be proven wrong.

Put even an average OL in front of him, draft some pass rushers, and give him some better coaches, he’ll win us a ton of games.

I put my questions about a one year wonder to bed after the way he responded in the National Title game. Wow.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:15 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: He IS the QB we've been looking for, the real question is, will he end up being the Colt's LUCK we've all saw happen to him.

Let’s make sure he doesn’t screw his arm up like Luck did snowboarding. Oh that’s right, one of Lucks biggest injuries wasn’t from his Oline but because he put himself at risk in the offseason derp
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:47 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: He's off to a great start no doubt, and yes we need to upgrade the o-line, but I also think that the D-line needs some help too!! I think the offensive future looks good for us, defense is cloudy for 2021:

TE- Sample- starting to emerge
LT- Williams- basically a rookie
WR- Boyd- Pro Bowl
WR- Higgins- Solid #2 already
QB- Burrow- Solid QB, future pro bowler
RB- Mixon- Pro Bowler
C- Hopkins- Servicable

-I See us definitely having to upgrade:

LG, RG,RT

WR- need to draft Greens replacement 3/4 rd guy

Defense:

RE- Hubbard- steady lunch pail guy
NT- Reader- solid
CB- Waynes- solid if healthy
SS- Bell- serviceable
FS- Bates- cusp of pro bowl
LB- Wilson- starting to emerge
LB- Pratt- servicable

-I see us again having to upgrade some areas of concern

DE- someone has to be able to rush the QB (draft)
DT- Atkins is old, need to draft replacement (draft)
CB- 3 free agents need to replaced ( FA, draft)
Slot Cb- I'd bring back Alexander. (FA)

So for me, reading into the future I would obviously try to trade Dunlop, Price, Ross, w/o a doubt. My draft would maybe look like this in priority needs:

1) DE
2) OG/OT
3) DT
4) OG/OT
5) CB
6) WR
7) TE/ CB

I don't necessarily disagree with those assessments but what this team desperately needs, maybe more than even starters, is depth.

At almost every position the drop off is huge. This roster will only be fixed once depth means players like XSF at every spot.
Reply/Quote