Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow - Wow
(10-26-2020, 09:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This reminds me a bit of the racer that is driving a turd on the track, but keeping up with the elite cars.  What Burrow is doing with this team around him is amazing.  And although everyone is ready to kill the coaches (or at least the DC), has anyone noticed that now that Adeniji is on the field that they are getting significant contributions from EVERY DRAFT PICK except 7th rounder Bailey at this point?  

Actually, the entire offense is starting to look good. Yes, even Drew Sample. The run game is still lacking, but they move the ball up and down the field, and score often. Having Green be an actual target now, is helping too. They're actually playing decent ball, and the play calls have been nice now that they're executing better. They've certainly played well enough to win.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Having Burrow being as advertised, I address the defense with a fiery passion. They have to get massively better to compliment Joe. If picking top 5, I even think they should trade back and take as much draft capital as possible to make the depth better. They'll most likely shed quite a bit of salary with Geno, AJ and Dunlap, so use that to help fill in the needs as well. It will be a crime if they don't realize that JB can most certainly win a SB with a much better supporting cast. I think high enough of him to say every player on the offense will be better with Joe, so D (pass rush in particular) should once again be top priority to fix. This will be a very fun offseason, can't wait to see how they approach it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 01:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Actually, the entire offense is starting to look good. Yes, even Drew Sample. The run game is still lacking, but they move the ball up and down the field, and score often. Having Green be an actual target now, is helping too. They're actually playing decent ball, and the play calls have been nice now that they're executing better. They've certainly played well enough to win.

Yea. I'm really interested to see how they fair against shitt$burg. That should be an excellent test to see if ZT and JB have gotten better at those exotic blitz schemes. The Browns didn't really offer the same look, but they definitely tried to get after him quite a few times and can only thing of once they didn't pick it up. They're certainly making progress.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I mean you try to pump the Brakes a lil with Burrow but check this out. He has No O line or run game, No defense, Questionable coaching and all he has done is set 5 rookie records in 7 games... Any other Bengal rookie QBs do that? I'm a huge Boomer fan, but I'm all aboard the "Burrow is the greatest Bengals QB" Even after only 7 games. You gotta be ***** blind to not see how special this kid is. I know its beating a dead horse, but no Offseason and no Pre season. He has exceeded even the greatest of expectations... It might not be this year, but very soon this guy will have us in contention year after year.. I know some arent old enough to remember but  in Boomers 1st year of starting the Bengals lost like 7 games by 5 or less? Something crazy like that. It was 1987.. Guess what happened in 88.. Its eerily similar. First time coaches, a superstar QB... It's coming my Bengals brothers... Its coming.. The Bengals will win and I mean playoff games with Joe Burrow. Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Big Jen are all on their way out to make way for this new crop..
BURROW is growing so fast wit Taylor too.. I saw at least 4 plays yesterday where you can see Joe is learning to read Defenses like a legend already. Every single Time audibled to a huge conversion or play to.. My 1 favorite is where he notices blitz and audibles to a Sample bubble screen and gets a huge 1st down. The best might of been his QB sneak audible. 3rd and 15! He got the 1st... Brilliant..just Brilliant already with his in game decisions and audibles already.  It's only gonna get better too..
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 01:07 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yea. I'm really interested to see how they fair against shitt$burg. That should be an excellent test to see if ZT and JB have gotten better at those exotic blitz schemes. The Browns didn't really offer the same look, but they definitely tried to get after him quite a few times and can only thing of once they didn't pick it up. They're certainly making progress.

Bernard was HUGE in blitz pick-up yesterday. I think they schemed a bit better, but Burrow is definitely getting better at seeing the blitz pre snap, and feeling it in the pocket a bit sooner. He will fare better against Baltimore in game 2 as well I believe. He may struggle a bit against Pitt in the first game.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 01:11 PM)Tony Wrote: I mean you try to pump the Brakes a lil with Burrow but check this out. He has No O line or run game, No defense, Questionable coaching and all he has done is set 5 rookie records in 7 games... Any other Bengal rookie QBs do that? I'm a huge Boomer fan, but I'm all aboard the "Burrow is the greatest Bengals QB" Even after only 7 games. You gotta be ***** blind to not see how special this kid is. I know its beating a dead horse, but no Offseason and no Pre season. He has exceeded even the greatest of expectations... It might not be this year, but very soon this guy will have us in contention year after year.. I know some arent old enough to remember but  in Boomers 1st year of starting the Bengals lost like 7 games by 5 or less? Something crazy like that. It was 1987.. Guess what happened in 88.. Its eerily similar. First time coaches, a superstar QB... It's coming my Bengals brothers... Its coming.. The Bengals will win and I mean playoff games with Joe Burrow. Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Big Jen are all on their way out to make way for this new crop..
BURROW is growing so fast wit Taylor too.. I saw at least 4 plays yesterday where you can see Joe is learning to read Defenses like a legend already. Every single Time audibled to a huge conversion or play to.. My 1 favorite is where he notices blitz and audibles to a Sample bubble screen and gets a huge 1st down. The best might of been his QB sneak audible. 3rd and 15! He got the 1st... Brilliant..just Brilliant already with his in game decisions and audibles already.  It's only gonna get better too..

Absolutely, he is checking every box. He makes watching the defense lose games tolerable...lol.

Reply/Quote
He knows what he is working with in Taylor as well. He didn't want to give Taylor the chance to take the coward decisions on 4th down again.
Reply/Quote
https://www.nfl.com/voting/air-and-ground/

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:18 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Start 7 of his career.

35 of 47

406 Yards passing, 36 Yards  rushing

4 Total Tds

75% Completion

112 Rating

84 QBR

We need to draft defense in the first 3 rounds, and buy 2 high end OL in FA

He is the best QB the franchise has ever had, and it is not even close.

Joe's the real deal now we just need a real coaching staff 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, the first INT was a lesson in (forget play calling on first down) that NFL defensive players have very quick reactions and can get vertical, but what Burrow is doing without preseason and the traditional offseason is amazing.  

That was on Burrow, 100%; even if the play call was not stellar in the end (it seemed like a good call indeed {at first}, if Higgins does his job correctly), Joe's gotta run to the right or throw it away; that was not only a forced throw, but it had no velocity on it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 02:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That was on Burrow, 100%; even if the play call was not stellar in the end (it seemed like a good call indeed {at first}, if Higgins does his job correctly), Joe's gotta run to the right or throw it away; that was not only a forced throw, but it had no velocity on it.

Joe Burrow is still a rookie albeit an impressive one and he's going to make some understandable rookie mistakes.  He's adjusting nicely to the speed of the pro game and the biggest improvement I've seen is getting rid of the ball when no one is open downfield instead of waiting for something to happen and taking a sack.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 01:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Actually, the entire offense is starting to look good. Yes, even Drew Sample. The run game is still lacking, but they move the ball up and down the field, and score often. Having Green be an actual target now, is helping too. They're actually playing decent ball, and the play calls have been nice now that they're executing better. They've certainly played well enough to win.

The amazing thing is what are the new pieces on offense?  Essentially Burrow, Higgins, and Jonah Williams.  And they are blowing last year's team away in terms of production.  With no preseason.  The defense with a bunch of veterans and high-dollar free agents?  Sucking rhinoceros balls.  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 02:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That was on Burrow, 100%; even if the play call was not stellar in the end (it seemed like a good call indeed {at first}, if Higgins does his job correctly), Joe's gotta run to the right or throw it away; that was not only a forced throw, but it had no velocity on it.

Yep, and he had Boyd in the back of the end zone.  Ball just needed another foot of height.  One thing about Burrow (although there are many) is that he rarely makes the same mistake twice.  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:33 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: It's been fun to watch the games because of Joe Burrow. He and the Bengals deserved to win yesterday, but Baker Mayfield put his big boy pants on and really played well (yes, the defense is bad but there were at least two amazing throws/catches). The Bengals may surprise a couple of upcoming opponents (TN and Pittsburgh, looking at you).

Good point.  Joe is literally inches, a few drops, and a horrible INT away from being 14 TDs and 4 INTs. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:22 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote:    

Might want to pump the brakes there.  I hope you're right, but way too soon to even think that way.  

lol

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 01:20 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He knows what he is working with in Taylor as well. He didn't want to give Taylor the chance to take the coward decisions on 4th down again.

You can say what you want about Taylor,  but he has not dropped the ball with bringing Burrow along and quickly. I mean this basically all we can ask for this year.. This defense and team as a whole is no where near being able to contend yet, which makes what Taylor and Burrow are doing together even more impressive.. Burrow is always the first to credit Taylor too.. I think we lose sight of the state of this franchise when Taylor took over. Hes got them close. We are in every game and yesterday's playcalling was brilliant.. If the defense wasn't so bad , people would be raveing about what Taylor has done with Burrow and the playcalling with this pee wee Oline they have..
Reply/Quote
Before I write this next post I want to introduce some important caveats

I don't want Andy Dalton back.

I don't wish the Bengals had drafted Justin Herbert instead.

I don't wish the Bengals would have used #1OA on Tua Tagovailoa.

Did I mention I don't want Andy Dalton back?

Okay.  On with the post:

+++

Joe Burrow is putting up some excellent numbers for a rookie and given the horrific state of the Bengals' offensive line these individual statistics are all the more impressive.  On a better team Joe might be a rookie of the year candidate -- and that's the point:  These individual statistics Joe puts up, impressive as they are, are not translating into team wins.  The team surrounding Joe is not better than what we saw in 2019 -- and that's not on Joe.  That's on the Front Office.

Here's what bothers me:  Mike Brown is on record many times saying a "bell cow" quarterback is all a team needs and one's mere presence makes an offense run better.  Sadly, Mike Brown is wrong.  We've tried this before.  Joe Burrow is good and he's going to put up good numbers but what I fear is a continuation of the status quo of good skill players and below average and badly coached offensive linemen. 

The Bengals now have an excellent quarterback on a lousy team.  Joe is good but he can't block for himself nor can he block for the running backs. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 05:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Before I write this next post I want to introduce some important caveats

I don't wish the Bengals had drafted Justin Herbert instead.

I don't wish the Bengals would have used #1OA on Tua Tagovailoa.

Did I mention I don't want Andy Dalton back?

Okay.  On with the post:

+++

Joe Burrow is putting up some excellent numbers for a rookie and given the horrific state of the Bengals' offensive line these individual statistics are all the more impressive.  On a better team Joe might be a rookie of the year candidate -- and that's the point:  These individual statistics Joe puts up, impressive as they are, are not translating into team wins.  The team surrounding Joe is not better than what we saw in 2019 -- and that's not on Joe.  That's on the Front Office.

Here's what bothers me:  Mike Brown is on record many times saying a "bell cow" quarterback is all a team needs and one's mere presence makes an offense run better.  Sadly, Mike Brown is wrong.  We've tried this before.  Joe Burrow is good and he's going to put up good numbers but what I fear is a continuation of the status quo of good skill players and below average and badly coached offensive linemen. 

The Bengals now have an excellent quarterback on a lousy team.  Joe is good but he can't block for himself nor can he block for the running backs. 

I’m not really sure what your concern is? We’re not going to forfeit all future draft picks because “a QB is all you need” or whatever. They will continue to make additions to improve this team. Hopefully the big FA we just had wasn’t a one off either. Now is the time to go all in while Burrow is on his rookie contract. He’s going to cost us a fortune when it’s up.

As far as only focusing on skill players, I guess you forget our last 1st round pick before Joe was Jonah Williams. And with the Dunlap situation escalating, I’m sure a DE just skyrocketed to the top of the list of needs.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 02:01 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: It really is crazy what he's done so far, and with the o-line and run game issues. I posted earlier about how he joined Mahomes as the only rookies to ever have five 300 yard passing games in their first 7 starts...but it's even more of an elite club than that. Only 14 QB's in NFL history have ever thrown for 300 yards at least 5 times during ANY 7 games stretch (per Paul Dehner):

• Drew Brees (five times)
• Peyton Manning (three)
• Kurt Warner (two)
• Matt Ryan (two)
• Patrick Mahomes (two)
• Philip Rivers (two)
• Aaron Rodgers
• Andrew Luck
• Dan Fouts
• Drew Bledsoe
• Joe Montana
• Rich Gannon
• Steve Young
• Tom Brady

That's a pretty fantastic list. Surprised Stafford isn't on it, with all the big time yardage he's put up.

------------

Btw, not hating on Burrow or anything, but he's also on pace for 16 fumbles. That's a minor complaint though, and I have to consider that he's getting pummeled on a weekly basis.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 03:13 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The amazing thing is what are the new pieces on offense?  Essentially Burrow, Higgins, and Jonah Williams.  And they are blowing last year's team away in terms of production.  With no preseason.  The defense with a bunch of veterans and high-dollar free agents?  Sucking rhinoceros balls.  

Yes... But, Reader out. Waynes out. Those were our biggest signings.

We have clearly still sucked Rhinoceros balls, but our high dollar additions haven't been on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote