Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow - Wow
(10-26-2020, 10:06 PM)maclanta Wrote: Yes... But, Reader out. Waynes out. Those were our biggest signings.

We have clearly still sucked Rhinoceros balls, but our high dollar additions haven't been on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We weren’t stopping the run even with Reader out there. And Bell might not have been paid as much, but he was right there with those guys in terms of signings.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We weren’t stopping the run even with Reader out there. And Bell might night have been paid as much, but he was right there with those guys in terms of signings.

Yeah, as much as its coaching, they don't have a real leader on that defense. Someone that leads men and also produces. Burrow has positively effected everyone around him. The defense doesn't have that yet. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We weren’t stopping the run even with Reader out there. And Bell might night have been paid as much, but he was right there with those guys in terms of signings.

IMHO I think we were slight try better up front with Reader in there. But, he wasn’t enough to change any of these outcomes. Defensive scheme has been bad. But we have not been playing the defense that we wanted to based on the offseason, and linebacker is essentially all rookies+Bynes.

I think DL is our biggest need on the defensive side. If we can start to get any type of pressure we would improve.

But I am trying to be positive... This year sucks too much to troll my own team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 03:13 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The amazing thing is what are the new pieces on offense?  Essentially Burrow, Higgins, and Jonah Williams.  And they are blowing last year's team away in terms of production.  With no preseason.  The defense with a bunch of veterans and high-dollar free agents?  Sucking rhinoceros balls.  

Green is back and finally producing as well, plus a lot more Drew Sample. The biggest difference is number 9 though.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 05:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Before I write this next post I want to introduce some important caveats

I don't want Andy Dalton back.

I don't wish the Bengals had drafted Justin Herbert instead.

I don't wish the Bengals would have used #1OA on Tua Tagovailoa.

Did I mention I don't want Andy Dalton back?

Okay.  On with the post:

+++

Joe Burrow is putting up some excellent numbers for a rookie and given the horrific state of the Bengals' offensive line these individual statistics are all the more impressive.  On a better team Joe might be a rookie of the year candidate -- and that's the point:  These individual statistics Joe puts up, impressive as they are, are not translating into team wins.  The team surrounding Joe is not better than what we saw in 2019 -- and that's not on Joe.  That's on the Front Office.

Here's what bothers me:  Mike Brown is on record many times saying a "bell cow" quarterback is all a team needs and one's mere presence makes an offense run better.  Sadly, Mike Brown is wrong.  We've tried this before.  Joe Burrow is good and he's going to put up good numbers but what I fear is a continuation of the status quo of good skill players and below average and badly coached offensive linemen. 

The Bengals now have an excellent quarterback on a lousy team.  Joe is good but he can't block for himself nor can he block for the running backs. 

So what you are saying is that you want Andy Dalton back.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 05:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Before I write this next post I want to introduce some important caveats

Okay.  On with the post:

+++

Joe Burrow is putting up some excellent numbers for a rookie and given the horrific state of the Bengals' offensive line these individual statistics are all the more impressive.  On a better team Joe might be a rookie of the year candidate -- and that's the point:  These individual statistics Joe puts up, impressive as they are, are not translating into team wins.  The team surrounding Joe is not better than what we saw in 2019 -- and that's not on Joe.  That's on the Front Office.

Here's what bothers me:  Mike Brown is on record many times saying a "bell cow" quarterback is all a team needs and one's mere presence makes an offense run better.  Sadly, Mike Brown is wrong.  We've tried this before.  Joe Burrow is good and he's going to put up good numbers but what I fear is a continuation of the status quo of good skill players and below average and badly coached offensive linemen. 

The Bengals now have an excellent quarterback on a lousy team.  Joe is good but he can't block for himself nor can he block for the running backs. 

This year, our offense is not the problem. We have put up 23 or more points in 5 of the 7 games and 4 were 27 or more. Last year we put up 23 or more points just THREE times. THREE. Our defense is far and away the bigger issue as they have not held a team under 25 points since the first game. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 10:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: Green is back and finally producing as well, plus a lot more Drew Sample. The biggest difference is number 9 though.

So, who can be #9 on defense?  
Reply/Quote
I swear the Bengals deal with more impact injuries to major players on the team than anyone else.. Every year too...
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 10:41 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Green is back and finally producing as well

AJ green shouldn’t even be on this team

His production is irrelevant because his massive salary commit should have been used in more strategic and long term ways
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 05:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: So, who can be #9 on defense?  

Bates

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 11:42 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: This year, our offense is not the problem. We have put up 23 or more points in 5 of the 7 games and 4 were 27 or more. Last year we put up 23 or more points just THREE times. THREE. Our defense is far and away the bigger issue as they have not held a team under 25 points since the first game. 

The defense has just been bad all around. They have had some bright spots but overall, they just stink. They have given up the 5th most yards (936) on the 12th most carries (191) along with the 5th worst YPC (4.9). They have only given up the 18th most touchdowns (6), which is nice, but then they have given up the 7th most passing touchdowns (15) and 5th most passing yards (1830) but are right in the middle of passer rating (94.6) and scoring defense. They are one of the worst pass rushing teams when it comes to sacks (10).

The offense has definitely improved, but still needs a lot of work. We are the 10th worst, or 22nd best depending on how you look at it, scoring offense, averaging 22.3 points per game. Outside of the Ravens game, however, they have played well and have averaged 26.6 points per game, which would be good for 13th in the league if this were the case. We just don't have the players to compete with that level of defense/pass rushers right now, but seeing the improvement provides some optimism.
Reply/Quote

Okay.  On with the post:

+++

Even a dimwit can see where this team's shortcomings are. You have the QB and skill players in place. You have some young LBs that are athletic, a great safety and some good DB play (most times). Reader, Hubbard and Lawson on the dline. One young starter on the oline with another that has tons of talent (still way too early to see if it translates though) and a decent guy at center (most times). 

Back to the dimwit comment; it's blatantly obvious that the needs are Oline and then Dline #1 and 2. You have an entire FA and draft to address that along with adding to a couple other positions. 

Of course, if they Bengals don't do that next year, they don't even rise to the level of dimwit and i can't say that i'd really be all that surprised. 

Health and overall team strength are always an issue with this team but needs are pretty much a no-brainer. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Reader will be back and fine to anchor the DL next season. We need two strong DEs and another DT to park next to Reader. And by strong I mean playmakers.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 06:25 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: AJ green shouldn’t even be on this team

His production is irrelevant because his massive salary commit should have been used in more strategic and long term ways

I don't disagree, but he's at least starting to make some plays, and putting up stats.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 05:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: So, who can be #9 on defense?  

Good question....right now it looks like Bates, but if Wilson keeps his trajectory, it might just be him.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 06:25 PM)Tony Wrote: I swear the Bengals deal with more impact injuries to major players on the team than anyone else.. Every year too...

Curse of Bo Jackson bro....lol.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Even a dimwit can see where this team's shortcomings are. You have the QB and skill players in place. You have some young LBs that are athletic, a great safety and some good DB play (most times). Reader, Hubbard and Lawson on the dline. One young starter on the oline with another that has tons of talent (still way too early to see if it translates though) and a decent guy at center (most times). 

Back to the dimwit comment; it's blatantly obvious that the needs are Oline and then Dline #1 and 2. You have an entire FA and draft to address that along with adding to a couple other positions. 

Of course, if they Bengals don't do that next year, they don't even rise to the level of dimwit and i can't say that i'd really be all that surprised. 

Health and overall team strength are always an issue with this team but needs are pretty much a no-brainer. 

....and the reason health is always an issue is because the depth is always razor thin. We start a lot of players that would be decent depth on good teams....so that tells you what the bench is like. This team had been circling the drain since 2016, it's finally in the sewer headed for the shit plant. There's A LOT of roster work yet to be done. You couple that with an entirely new philosophy and scheme, you're gonna get to where we are now. It's inevitable.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 11:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: ....and the reason health is always an issue is because the depth is always razor thin. We start a lot of players that would be decent depth on good teams....so that tells you what the bench is like. This team had been circling the drain since 2016, it's finally in the sewer headed for the shit plant. There's A LOT of roster work yet to be done. You couple that with an entirely new philosophy and scheme, you're gonna get to where we are now. It's inevitable.

This, which is why I don't think coaching changes is the answer quite yet.  As a great coach once said "You're not in Cleveland" and that applies here.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:45 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I don't necessarily disagree with those assessments but what this team desperately needs, maybe more than even starters, is depth.

At almost every position the drop off is huge. This roster will only be fixed once depth means players like XSF at every spot.

And there's some depth for the interior line.

Along with the Covington pick up for Austin Calitro that's two examples of flipping players who would be cut into (hopefully) nice depth pieces.

Maybe we can use that 7th round pick on someone who can develop into another one.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: Good question....right now it looks like Bates, but if Wilson keeps his trajectory, it might just be him.

Bates is awesome, but I see the leader on the defense needing to be a physical presence.  Hopeful Wilson continues to develop.  
Reply/Quote