Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Palmer training Burrow and more
(01-31-2020, 08:35 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I was trying to Google this very scenario earlier today. I know Burrow would reenter the draft next year if he didn't sign. Would the Bengals have an extra first rounder next year like in baseball or would they lose it?

WhoDey2 They may get some kind of comp pick, but I don't think it'd be a 1st rounder. I know it wouldn't be #1OA.
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 05:43 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I wouldn't side with Mike Brown at all. He's earned his reputation for not being committed to winning over the past 29 years. You don't have to look any further than last off-season's lazy free agent period and awful draft to understand just how little winning means to the guy.

Competitive players want to compete to win. Eli won two SBs with the Giants while Philip Rivers never really came close to playing in a SB.

So last year when we got 21 new unproven coaches on our team. You wanted to throw every draft pick this year and hock future draft picks to go all out for a super bowl run. Spend every bit of freed up cash we have to roll the dice for a Super Bowl run with 21 new coaches most of them coaching a spot for the very first time in their young careers. You pick your spots for a Super Bowl run and last year was not the best choice at all. You cant load up for a Super Bowl run every year.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 07:36 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I've seen this idea floated in another thread. The idea of drafting Burrow and if he refuses to sign a contract, the Bengals retain his rights for 4-5 yrs is false.

If Burrow is drafted by any team and refuses to sign , he is eligible to enter the draft the following year as a free agent... 
So what happens to our pick does it just disappear into thin air or do we get to pick first again the next year?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 08:17 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: So what happens to our pick does it just disappear into thin air or do we get to pick first again the next year?

From what I understand, yes. You lose out on a pick. You have the the right to trade that player before the next year along with his unsigned contract, but not many teams will want to bite on that if the player is really that hard to deal with. Depends on the player obviously and their value/where they were picked. Burrow will not be an issue.

I attempted to do some research on this scenario and I came up short. I'm only assuming that we're just SOL on our pick unless we can trade the player the next year/trade deadline.

Edit: It looks like in the MLB, if you don't sign a first or second round pick, you will be able to pick in the same slot again plus one the following year. If they magically fail to sign the player with that compensated pick, there will not be a compensated pick the following year. I'm sure the NFL is different. Or maybe it is similar. 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Burrow stands to make 100+ million over the next 8-10 years. He will be 24 by December so sitting out could cost him 20+ million at the end of his career. If he has the confidence he says he does then he should make the team competitive. If he doesn't think he can turn the team into winners we don't really need him anyway.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 09:49 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Burrow stands to make 100+ million over the next 8-10 years. He will be 24 by December so sitting out could cost him 20+ million at the end of his career. If he has the confidence he says he does then he should make the team competitive. If he doesn't think he can turn the team into winners we don't really need  him anyway.

Everybody talking about Burrow sitting out EXCEPT Burrow....... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 11:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed. Explains why ZT couldn't even throw a single pass in the CFL but he was the QB coach to 1st overall pick Goff and he's a few months from being the HC of another 1st overall pick QB.

People who can't fathom how Jordan Palmer could teach Burrow should be terrified of ZT getting anywhere near him. 

Sam Wyche wasn't exactly Bart Starr, either.

ZT did well with Goff. Hopefully he does well with Burrow as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 09:49 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Burrow stands to make 100+ million over the next 8-10 years. He will be 24 by December so sitting out could cost him 20+ million at the end of his career. If he has the confidence he says he does then he should make the team competitive. If he doesn't think he can turn the team into winners we don't really need  him anyway.

I don't think there's any real chance that he doesn't play here if the Bengals draft him.  As you mention, he's an older player to begin with.  He'd be throwing away money and burning precious time.  

If Burrow comes to Cincinnati and is dissatisfied, his best bet would be to play out the rookie deal, eat a year under the tag, then enter UFA.  He'd have to resist signing a big contract like CP9 did.  That might sound simple, but if he's as successful as we're hoping, you're talking about turning down a deal that could approach 40 mil per season for 5 or 6 years.  He's really have to hate this place to risk that.

From the team side, if Mike Brown let Burrow twist in the wind for a year and re-enter the draft, they'd lose more than a first overall (which is obviously hugely valuable).  IMO he'd burn what little he as left in terms of fan support and confidence in this city.  He might as well start talking to other towns about building him a stadium at that point, because that family would be finished in Cincinnati.  He has to know that, and although he's among the most stubborn a-holes alive, I think he'd opt not to let that go down.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 09:50 PM)samhain Wrote: From the team side, if Mike Brown let Burrow twist in the wind for a year and re-enter the draft, they'd lose more than a first overall (which is obviously hugely valuable).  IMO he'd burn what little he as left in terms of fan support and confidence in this city.  He might as well start talking to other towns about building him a stadium at that point, because that family would be finished in Cincinnati.  He has to know that, and although he's among the most stubborn a-holes alive, I think he'd opt not to let that go down.

If the Bengals draft Burrow and for some reason after the draft he flat out says he will never play for the Bengals they would insane to not try to trade Burrow's signing rights to a team he agreed to play for as opposed to letting him fall to the 2021 draft.  That way they would at least get something via trade instead of having a wasted pick.  In that case I imagine there would be several teams willing to offer up something decent, not as good as if the Bengals traded #1OA during the draft since it would be an after draft thing, but decent and better than having a wasted pick.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
God we're a low self esteem fan base... Literally nobody with any knowledge of Joe Burrow is talking about him refusing to play for the Bengals... Nobody.

That shit has happened all of twice in my better part of a half century of existence. I guess Bo Jackson had other options, and went the baseball route for a minute, but that was also personal.

Joe Burrow is gonna bring his country ass to Cincinnati, learn to love Skyline, live his dream (which wasn't all that likely 6 months ago), and he's gonna be the toast of the town.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 11:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody talking about Burrow sitting out EXCEPT Burrow....... Hilarious

(02-01-2020, 11:55 PM)jason Wrote: God we're a low self esteem fan base... Literally nobody with any knowledge of Joe Burrow is talking about him refusing to play for the Bengals... Nobody.

That shit has happened all of twice in my better part of a half century of existence. I guess Bo Jackson had other options, and went the baseball route for a minute, but that was also personal.

Joe Burrow is gonna bring his country ass to Cincinnati, learn to love Skyline, live his dream (which wasn't all that likely 6 months ago), and he's gonna be the toast of the town.

Yeah this is mind boggling.

Burrow: "can't wait to play for somebody."
Burrow Sr: "he can't wait to play for whoever drafts him."
Media: "too bad he's going to be a Bengal."
Bengals fans: "oh God, he rejected us!!!???!!!"
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 12:52 PM)pally Wrote: For the paranoid among us

Wayyy too soon to panic, especially after what Joe and his father have been saying for the past few weeks. That said, this comment from Joe has my antennae up. It doesn't seem like a stretch to think Jordan will discuss the Bengals organization with Joe. In fact, I'd count on that happening. Jordan and his brother were Bengals and Joe is about to be drafted by them.

Will Jordan say good things about the Bengals? I'd say that's doubtful. Will it affect how Joe views the Bengals leading up to the draft? Who knows? The likelihood of him forcing a trade is very slim, because Mike will hold his rights out of spite/principle, and I'm sure Jordan and Carson are aware of that. Joe is better off just suiting up, seeing how it goes, and bolting at first opportunity if it goes poorly...if he has doubts.

That's how I think it will play out, so maybe Joe is just trying to get Mike's attention as far as building this team up around him. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 01:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wayyy too soon to panic, especially after what Joe and his father have been saying for the past few weeks. That said, this comment from Joe has my antennae up. It doesn't seem like a stretch to think Jordan will discuss the Bengals organization with Joe. In fact, I'd count on that happening. Jordan and his brother were Bengals and Joe is about to be drafted by them.

Will Jordan say good things about the Bengals? I'd say that's doubtful. Will it affect how Joe views the Bengals leading up to the draft? Who knows? The likelihood of him forcing a trade is very slim, because Mike will hold his rights out of spite/principle, and I'm sure Jordan and Carson are aware of that. Joe is better off just suiting up, seeing how it goes, and bolting at first opportunity if it goes poorly...if he has doubts.

That's how I think it will play out, so maybe Joe is just trying to get Mike's attention as far as building this team up around him. 

The Media is using baiting questions to twist words to create story lines. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 08:17 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: So what happens to our pick does it just disappear into thin air or do we get to pick first again the next year?

WhoDey2 I believe we get a comp pick. But it's not #1OA. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder. 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 01:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wayyy too soon to panic, especially after what Joe and his father have been saying for the past few weeks. That said, this comment from Joe has my antennae up. It doesn't seem like a stretch to think Jordan will discuss the Bengals organization with Joe. In fact, I'd count on that happening. Jordan and his brother were Bengals and Joe is about to be drafted by them.

Why would Jordan have anything bad to say about the Bengals, they are the only team that would have him.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 01:14 AM)Synric Wrote: The Media is using baiting questions to twist words to create story lines. 

There is also a large portion of Bengal fans who iddentify with nothingbut playing the victim.  All they know how to do is complain.  Bengals can't just be a bad team for them.  They have to be the worst in history.  Front office can't just be bad at football.  They have to be evil.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There is also a large portion of Bengal fans who iddentify with nothingbut playing the victim.  All they know how to do is complain.  Bengals can't just be a bad team for them.  They have to be the worst in history.  Front office can't just be bad at football.  They have to be evil.

To be fair the Bengals bring it on themselves.

Like it or not success in the NFL is measured by post-season success and the Bengals are the worst in the league. They are getting dangerously close to 30 years without a playoff victory.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 12:23 PM)Synric Wrote: To be fair the Bengals bring it on themselves.

Like it or not success in the NFL is measured by post-season success and the Bengals are the worst in the league. They are getting dangerously close to 30 years without a playoff victory.

Yes but in all honesty they haven't been far off. Going to the playoffs 5 times in a row indicates to me this team can punch a ticket to the show. We are down on the franchise because of the last 3 years but 2010-2015 was a great run for us. 

I mean, we all try to blame Andy Dalton for our playoff woes, but then make it sound like it's the franchise that can't get it done.... which is it???
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 12:23 PM)Synric Wrote: To be fair the Bengals bring it on themselves.

I just wonder why they don’t seem to bash Detroit and Cleveland as much? Maybe they do, but it does seem like they go out of their way to pick on us lately.

I don’t remember any “they’ll ruin Mayfield” talk when Cleveland took him. And that’s much more likely than us ruining Burrow...

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 08:12 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: So last year when we got 21 new unproven coaches on our team. You wanted to throw every draft pick this year and hock future draft picks to go all out for a super bowl run. Spend every bit of freed up cash we have to roll the dice for a Super Bowl run with 21 new coaches most of them coaching a spot for the very first time in their young careers. You pick your spots for a Super Bowl run and last year was not the best choice at all. You cant load up for a Super Bowl run every year.

Look at Cleveland. They had a fire sale and then got all kinds of draft picks and free agents. That took them nowhere, and now they won't be able to afford to keep them all.
Reply/Quote