Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids Protest thier own Graduation
Obviously I think it is petty, but they're just kids.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/notre-dame-students-walk-out-in-protest-as-pence-gives-commencement-speech/vp-BBBmdGk?ocid=spartanntp

Of course they have s right to do so. Just curious what my more liberal friends in the forum think of this move.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I'm okay with it. I was not happy with the way DeVos was treated when she was speaking somewhere. The ceremony is an important one and the booing ruins the moment. Turning their backs to the speaker or walking out is a protest move that is acceptable in that situation to me.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-21-2017, 04:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Obviously I think it is petty, but they're just kids.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/notre-dame-students-walk-out-in-protest-as-pence-gives-commencement-speech/vp-BBBmdGk?ocid=spartanntp

Of course they have s right to do so. Just curious what my more liberal friends in the forum think of this move.

Love it. GTFO so real people can learn real things while you hibernate in your fantasy world.
(05-21-2017, 05:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Love it. GTFO so real people can learn real things while you hibernate in your fantasy world.

Thanks for deciding what is important for the rest of the people in the world. Where would we be without you.
(05-21-2017, 05:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Thanks for deciding what is important for the rest of the people in the world. Where would we be without you.

No problem. Glad to contribute. ThumbsUp
(05-21-2017, 04:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Obviously I think it is petty, but they're just kids.

Personal choice, I guess. I would not have done it.

I don't like normalizing the Trump regime. And walking out is "resistance." I guess.

But NOT LISTENING is almost always bad.

People should protest the invite--there are plenty of good grounds for that as the Pence/Trump ticket is no friend to learning--or criticize Pence afterwards in the student paper's forum. If they were going to walk out, they should not have shown up. That would have sent a signal to the administration. With them lies the responsibility for the poor choice.
(05-21-2017, 04:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm okay with it. I was not happy with the way DeVos was treated when she was speaking somewhere. The ceremony is an important one and the booing ruins the moment. Turning their backs to the speaker or walking out is a protest move that is acceptable in that situation to me.

IDK, pretty sure they knew Pence was gonna speak before they showed up. Making a scene takes away from an event that others have worked 16+ years to earn. If you dislike the speaker so much, stay home so others can have their day or just sit there and listen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/05/20/notre-dame-students-walk-out-mike-pence-commencement-speech/101920190/

Quote:It's not the first time Notre Dame has been at the center of a political storm.

In 2009, conservatives protested President Obama's speech because they disapproved of his support of abortion rights and embryonic stem-cell research.

And President Reagan faced some antagonism when he spoke there in 1981 in his first speech after his attempted assassination.

Pence spokesman Marc Lotter declined comment on Sunday's protests.

I guess the "liberals" aren't the only ones to ask?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-21-2017, 08:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/05/20/notre-dame-students-walk-out-mike-pence-commencement-speech/101920190/

I guess the "liberals" aren't the only ones to ask?

uuhhhmmm.......well.....you see......the difference...........

Never mind.

(05-21-2017, 04:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm okay with it. I was not happy with the way DeVos was treated when she was speaking somewhere. The ceremony is an important one and the booing ruins the moment. Turning their backs to the speaker or walking out is a protest move that is acceptable in that situation to me.

That's my thinking. If you don't like the speaker, sucks that your moment wasn't what you wanted, but that doesn't mean you should screw up someone else's. Just turn your back, put in some ear buds, hit the parking lot early, whatever. But don't disrupt.

(05-21-2017, 05:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Love it. GTFO so real people can learn real things while you hibernate in your fantasy world.

They were graduating, sooo... they kind of had to GTFO. 
(05-21-2017, 08:53 PM)Benton Wrote: Just turn your back, put in some ear buds, hit the parking lot early, whatever. But don't disrupt.

That should have also gone for those liberal college students who were disruptive at Trump rallies, inciting violence and blocking traffic.
(05-21-2017, 09:41 PM)Vlad Wrote: That should have also gone for those liberal college students who were disruptive at Trump rallies, inciting violence and blocking traffic.

Hey bfine!  11 posts before someone brought up Trump!  Must be PESD....wait.....
(05-21-2017, 09:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: Hey bfine!  11 posts before someone brought up Trump!  Must be PESD....wait.....

Actually he was brought up in post #6. I was just being understanding.

You're 0 for 2 so far in this thread. Keep up the good work.

(05-21-2017, 09:41 PM)Vlad Wrote: That should have also gone for those liberal college students who were disruptive at Trump rallies, inciting violence and blocking traffic.

Whilst I no fan of the triggered that cause a scene at political rallies; I consider that to be quite a bit different that these selfish kids that took away from an event that many students and their families have been looking forward to and working toward for quite some time.

Any adult that booed or applauded them on their way out should be equally embarrassed of their actions as (hopefully) these kids will one day be. 

(05-21-2017, 10:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually he was brought up in post #6. I was just being understanding.

You're 0 for 2 so far in this thread. Keep up the good work.

But Dill was still talking about Pence at least.  Vlad was bringing up the campaign.  

PESD is awful....
(05-21-2017, 06:41 PM)Dill Wrote: People should protest the invite--there are plenty of good grounds for that as the Pence/Trump ticket is no friend to learning--or criticize Pence afterwards in the student paper's forum. If they were going to walk out, they should not have shown up. That would have sent a signal to the administration. With them lies the responsibility for the poor choice.

(05-21-2017, 10:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: But Dill was still talking about Pence at least.  Vlad was bringing up the campaign.  

PESD is awful....

0 for 3.

Yes it is.

(05-21-2017, 10:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 0 for 3.

Yes it is.

So threads about adults protesting Pence/Trump are OK...but not threads about things Pence/Trump actually do?

Just want to be clear.

(And see how high you can count.)
(05-21-2017, 10:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: So threads about adults protesting Pence/Trump are OK...but not threads about things Pence/Trump actually do?

Just want to be clear.

(And see how high you can count.)

No need to count any higher as you were out after the third strike. The rest is just you making a fool of yourself walking back to the dugout.

Now I welcome anyone else that wants to discuss this issue.

(05-21-2017, 05:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Thanks for deciding what is important for the rest of the people in the world. Where would we be without you.

I don't believe Harley decided anything. He simply made a statement.

But isn't it liberals/progressives that have always thought of themselves as knowing whats best for the world?

These college kids especially. We all remember how we thought we knew it all when we were college kids.
(05-21-2017, 10:50 PM)Vlad Wrote:  We all remember how we thought we knew it all when we were college kids.

Funny, I hear a lot of older people telling me that I'll "Understand when I'm their age" too.  You'd be surprised how few people in our society wander around admitting that they are morons who know nothing.

Older people are out of touch. The young lack wisdom of age. The educated have been liberally brain-washed. The uneducated are morons. The rural folks are isolated hayseeds who have no concept of living with diversity and those in the urban environment aren't "real America."

Who the hell knows a damn thing?