Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Lapham called out Ross
(09-25-2018, 06:08 PM)yang Wrote: It's pretty common knowledge that WR's tend take a while to develop and fantasy leagues always look for potential 3rd year breakouts.   Most of tis is common problems for young receivers.  I mention Chad because he and TJ had trouble early on adjusting to their reads and catching with their hands as opposed to their body.    It's great to put him in and let him learn.  The kid is going to end up being a great receiver and it's funny people are panicking.  

Lol. Chad had 28 catches n 300 yards his real rookie year until he broke his collarbone in the year. 2nd year he had 69 catches for 1166 yards n 5 touchdowns on a crappy Bengals team. I’d say Chad caught on pretty quick n was a pro bowler. Chad had amazing body control , feet and hands. Ross has none of that. Absolutely terrible football awareness n hands of stone. Please don’t compare the two makes you look silly.

Although Ross is fast he just looks lost on the field. We are all hoping he puts it together but not at the expense of wasting a season on him to develop.
Reply/Quote
I watched the twitter clip over and over and it appears that Ross had absolutely no idea where the ball was supposed to be going and it doesn't appear that he even bothered to look until the ball was already in the CB's hand. A very weak attempt to track the ball in the air if he even attempted to track it at all . 
Sure , bad throw, but Ross made no attempt to get to the ball.. He gave up before he'd gone 10 yards downfield.. 

I really want to be wrong on this, but right now I don't think Ross is going to pan out. Coaches will give up on him before he ever 'gets it'.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Except that it wasn't a bad throw. I don't know why some on here are so desperately trying to shift blame here when the announcers and the sideline both put it totally on Ross- if he runs the route he was supposed to and finishes it it is a catch not an INT.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 09:25 PM)Joelist Wrote: Except that it wasn't a bad throw. I don't know why some on here are so desperately trying to shift blame here when the announcers and the sideline both put it totally on Ross- if he runs the route he was supposed to and finishes it it is a catch not an INT.

Joe Goodberry did a nice breakdown of his route, also explaining that the team had already run that play 5 times this season.

He shows John's route, and it isn't where Dalton threw it. More than one person can be at fault on a play. 

He definitely needs to stop quitting before the whistle is blown though.
Reply/Quote
Let's blame Carson Palmer for quitting since he's not a member of the Bengals and not here to defend himself ... 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 09:30 PM)thillan Wrote: Joe Goodberry did a nice breakdown of his route, also explaining that the team had already run that play 5 times this season.

He shows John's route, and it isn't where Dalton threw it. More than one person can be at fault on a play. 

He definitely needs to stop quitting before the whistle is blown though.

Goodberry is trying to make Ross look better than he is because he was on his bandwagon from the get go. And because he hates Dalton. I’m no Dalton fan but he’s been playing great this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 08:29 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: ...Although Ross is fast he just looks lost on the field.

How can someone who played college football well enough to be drafted look "lost" on an NFL football field?
It's the same size!   Hilarious
*I'm agreeing with you... just saying it's sad.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:04 AM)treee Wrote: Ross is making mistakes that WRs make in their 1st year of consistent reps. Can't entirely blame him. Hopefully they keep giving him plenty of reps early in games but not necessarily in crunch time until he proves he can be more consistent.

I like this approach. 
Reply/Quote
I love how even the lack of effort by Ross is entirely Dalton's fault. Ross quits his route, Dalton shouldn't have thrown it to him! Ross quits his route, Dalton should've told him he wasn't a decoy in the huddle because internet expert that hates Dalton like me said so! Ross never turns to see where the ball may be going, Dalton threw a bad pass even though the receiver didn't even know what he was doing. Dammit Andy!!!

I know there are several outspoken Dalton haters here, but give me a break. Ross playing like shit isn't Andy's fault.

On the flip side, I do like how our fans love to give players 3-5 rookie years to learn the game. John Ross was a rookie last year who ended up in the doghouse and didn't get to see the field. In his rookie year he quit on plays. In his second year (this year), he is quitting on plays. Maybe by his third year (next year or as some would say "rookie year 3"), he will learn to not quit on plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 09:25 PM)Joelist Wrote: Except that it wasn't a bad throw. I don't know why some on here are so desperately trying to shift blame here when the announcers and the sideline both put it totally on Ross- if he runs the route he was supposed to and finishes it it is a catch not an INT.

It was a post route. He did run the route he was supposed to, it was just thrown 10 feet over his head and behind him. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 04:21 PM)thillan Wrote: Lol man this board cracks me up. I just can't believe we want to kill this kid's career already. He has been opening the field for our receivers SO much this year.

Yet nobody is mad at our star linebacker who has played 5,10,11,and 10 games in the last 4 years. And is again missing the first four for stupid mistakes. But nobody is mad at that guy for his incredible availability and disciplined play.

If you want to have a conversation about Vontaze Burfict and his problems we can do that in one of the threads about him.  However, this particular conversation is about John Ross, and the failure that he's turning out to be.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 10:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you want to have a conversation about Vontaze Burfict and his problems we can do that in one of the threads about him.  However, this particular conversation is about John Ross, and the failure that he's turning out to be.

Lol, I already did make a thread about him. I'm not trying to turn the conversation, I'm just mentioning that their are similarities between Ross and our star LB.

Oh, and Andy Dalton has been mentioned numerous times in this thread. As has Chad. Nothing about them being mentioned though? 

John has still played 6 total games.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 10:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It was a post route. He did run the route he was supposed to, it was just thrown 10 feet over his head and behind him. 

Because he got knocked off the route and kept moving more inside. He was lined up wide left to start with.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 10:35 AM)thillan Wrote: Lol, I already did make a thread about him. I'm not trying to turn the conversation, I'm just mentioning that their are similarities between Ross and our star LB.

Oh, and Andy Dalton has been mentioned numerous times in this thread. As has Chad. Nothing about them being mentioned though? 

John has still played 6 total games.

The only similarity between Ross n Burfict are they are both from Southern California. After that there is nothing remotely similar. One is a born football player that has great Instincts n goes 100%. The other is John Ross.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 10:26 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Goodberry is trying to make Ross look better than he is because he was on his bandwagon from the get go.  And because he hates Dalton.  I’m no Dalton fan but he’s been playing great this year.

This is exactly right.  I've seen him slobbing all over Ross numerous times, so now he looks exactly like the know-nothing blowhard he is.  Naturally, he's going to deflect blame on his whipping boy to save face. The closest he's probably ever been to a football field is playing the french horn at halftime.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 12:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'll disagree until I get a chance to see the full 22. It may have been designed to be a post, but to me it looks like they changed it to a seam based on his depth. He was at almost 25 yards before even moving inside (a very non committed one at that), depth on a break for a post is anywhere form 10-20 yards at 25 is when Ross breaks and Dalton releases at 18ish yards down field. This is why to me Dalton expected him to just carrying it up field and threw it back shoulder. If you look where the ball ended up it was on line with a back shoulder seam.

It looked like Andy threw a Skinny Post Route to me.

I like what Joe Goodberry and John Sheeran do but I have to disagree about that throw. It wasn't a post it was a skinny post and John Ross ran a post slowed up and never got his head around.

On the first interception Ross was forced inside and hitches inside...which is a no no he should have hitched outside.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2018, 08:00 PM)Synric Wrote: It looked like Andy threw a Skinny Post Route to me.

I like what Joe Goodberry and John Sheeran do but I have to disagree about that throw. It wasn't a post it was a skinny post and John Ross ran a post slowed up and never got his head around.

On the first interception Ross was forced inside and hitches inside...which is a no no he should have hitched outside.

It wasn't a skinny post because Ross lined up wide left and Dalton threw from the right hash to the left hash. A post is to the hash, a skinny post is...for lack of a better term, a half post and it's a shorter route before the break--7-9 yards. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Whatever the route was, finish it. I am 56, never had the skills to even make the grade at college football. But with my current business, I don't finish the work well, my company doesn't make the money it could/should.

Seems like a simple concept. You're an NFL WR, finish your routes. You're the fastest-ever WR, use your God-given talents to excel at this game we all love.
Reply/Quote
A nice article on Corey Davis(#5), 1 of 2 other receivers drafted in the top 10 spots along with Ross (#9). The other, Mike Williams is doing pretty well himself (#7).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000943689/article/titans-corey-davis-hungry-to-improve-on-rookie-year

Will Ross end up ahead of them this season? To be determined I suppose. Hmm
Reply/Quote