Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham on WRs
What happens if green gets hurt again or Eifert gets hurt again? What happens to this offense. We need at least one WR.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:28 PM)J24 Wrote: What happens if green gets hurt again or when Eifert gets hurt again?  What happens to this offense. We need at least one WR.

Fixed it for you.

Yeah, the Bengals need to add at least 2 WRs somewhere that can produce at least at some level.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Which would be amazing if the Bengals got to play the NFC South 6 times, the AFC South 4 times, and the NFC East (with Chip and without Romo) 4 times, playing against only 4 teams with winning records.

Instead the Bengals play in 6 games against teams who went to the postseason in 2016, including both AFC Championship teams and the Super Bowl winner.

Sadly they don't get a legendary cupcake schedule.

- - - - -
Also note that once the Panthers had to play a real defense (Broncos) their offense looked like a big 'ol pile of Shittsburgh.

Schedule whining, really?  C'mon man!  Every division game is a tough game, no matter how weak the division.  Those teams know you, know your tendencies, know your strengths and weaknesses.  As for playing the NFC East, they were predicted to be the "Super Division" prior to the start of last season.  Yet, the Panthers still smoked their competition in the Playoffs, and only got beaten in the Super Bowl by a team that was just a bit more well prepared..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Schedule whining, really?  C'mon man!  Every division game is a tough game, no matter how weak the division.  Those teams know you, know your tendencies, know your strengths and weaknesses.  As for playing the NFC East, they were predicted to be the "Super Division" prior to the start of last season.  Yet, the Panthers still smoked their competition in the Playoffs, and only got beaten in the Super Bowl by a team that was just a bit more well prepared..

Not schedule whining, simply pointing out that you can get by with inferior talent when you're playing inferior talent.

The Saints have had like record levels of terrible defenses for the last couple of years, and they traded away their main receiving threats (Graham and Stills). Doesn't matter how well they know you.

NFC East is *always* predicted to be the super division. It almost always sucks. Why does it keep getting predicted to be a super division? It contains Dallas, NY, Philly, and DC. Any division with that huge of a market is always going to be pandered to.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: In order to get a 3rd round comp, our FA loss would need to sign a top 5 contract in terms of money with another team.  Marvin Jones will be our top FA loss in terms of the dollars he signs for.  I doubt if he is in the top 5 contracts now.

Top 5%. At 8 mil per. With my super rough quick count and math he is around the 7% mark. And that is only counting 53 players per all 32 teams. His playing time and possible post season honors play into the equation too. So I will be rooting for him to stay healthy and make the pro bowl.

It will be close.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not schedule whining, simply pointing out that you can get by with inferior talent when you're playing inferior talent.

The Saints have had like record levels of terrible defenses for the last couple of years, and they traded away their main receiving threats (Graham and Stills). Doesn't matter how well they know you.

NFC East is *always* predicted to be the super division. It almost always sucks. Why does it keep getting predicted to be a super division? It contains Dallas, NY, Philly, and DC. Any division with that huge of a market is always going to be pandered to.

Great support, for what you were saying about their regular season schedule.  However, that does not begin to explain how they absolutely crushed both of their playoff opponents.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If a contract is voided; is that the same thing as being cut? It may be a silly question, but I ask because the Bills had the option to void the last 2 years of Percy Harvvin's contract.

Players who have options declined by their former teams qualify for the compensatory formula, even though the team had a method to keep them under contract.  See Donte Stallworth in 2009, who qualified in favor of New England despite having an option on his contract declined.

http://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

I was wondering the same thing. Apparently they still figure in. Which is dumb.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones will land us a 3rd round comp next season. We draft one this year in round 1 or 2.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:02 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Marvin Jones will land us a 3rd round comp next season. We draft one this year in round 1 or 2.

Marvin Jones will land the Bengals a compensatory pick next season, but not likely a 3rd rounder.  If you scroll back a few posts, someone else explained why, in better detail than I want to duplicate.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great support, for what you were saying about their regular season schedule.  However, that does not begin to explain how they absolutely crushed both of their playoff opponents.

In a nutshell? Defense.

Against the Seahawks, Newton threw for 161 yards, and ran 11 times for 3 yards. Stewart ran well, but the defense shut out the Seahawks in the first half including a pick six. The offense shut down entirely in the second half and the Panthers got outscored 22-0. Defense had 4 sacks.

Against the Cardinals, they held the #1 offense in the NFL to 15 points with 6 turnovers. The offense helped, but how can't you when you get the ball 6 extra times? Defense had 3 sacks.

Lost in the SB due to the offense actually having to carry their own weight and just totally crumbling under it. Defense forced 2 turnovers and had 5 sacks, but the offense gave that effort right back by turning the ball over 3 times and taking 7 sacks.

Without that defense, the Panthers likely get crushed by the Seahawks. Meanwhile Cam becomes the first MVP with sub-60% completion and sub-4,000 yards in how long, thanks to his defense.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In a nutshell? Defense.

Against the Seahawks, Newton threw for 161 yards, and ran 11 times for 3 yards. Stewart ran well, but the defense shut out the Seahawks in the first half including a pick six. The offense shut down entirely in the second half and the Panthers got outscored 22-0. Defense had 4 sacks.

Against the Cardinals, they held the #1 offense in the NFL to 15 points with 6 turnovers. The offense helped, but how can't you when you get the ball 6 extra times? Defense had 3 sacks.

Lost in the SB due to the offense actually having to carry their own weight and just totally crumbling under it. Defense forced 2 turnovers and had 5 sacks, but the offense gave that effort right back by turning the ball over 3 times and taking 7 sacks.

Without that defense, the Panthers likely get crushed by the Seahawks. Meanwhile Cam becomes the first MVP with sub-60% completion and sub-4,000 yards in how long, thanks to his defense.

So then, aren't you glad that the Bengals decided to concentrate on retaining the key Defensive free agents, rather than the WRs?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can only have up to 4 picks, and there's only 32 picks total given each year, so you have to go against the other 31 teams to even get that 4.

That said, why are people in love with compensatory picks? It doesn't help you at ALL this year. So what if they get an extra 4th rounder in 2017 if it means having a shit WR corps in 2016?

All that aside? The Bengals, for all their love of compensatory picks, suck with them something fierce. Here's a list of EVERY compensatory pick the Benglas have ever made under Lewis....

Elton Patterson
Landon Johnson (3rd Round)
Nedu Ndukwe
Andre Caldwell (3rd Round)
Matt Sherry
Angelo Craig
Mario Urrutia
Chase Coffman (3rd Round)
Bernard Scott
Clinton McDonald
Freddie Brown
Brandon Ghee (3rd Round)
Roderick Muckleroy
Jay Finley
Reid Fragel
TJ Johnson
Marquis Flowers
Lavelle Westbrooks
PJ Dawson (3rd Round)
Marcus Hardison

That is what a decade and a half of ignoring free agency gets you in return. That and no playoff wins. No thank you, how about they go and actually try to fix some things instead? Rishard Matthews and Reuben Randle are both still out there, as is Anquan Boldin.

Bingo.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So then, aren't you glad that the Bengals decided to concentrate on retaining the key Defensive free agents, rather than the WRs?

Yup, I am really glad they retained one of their safeties ( though I was hoping for Nelson, but Iloka came at an okay price, so that's fine too) and I really thought Adam was the #1 can't-lose guy this year for the Bengals and he actually came at $1m less than the 3yr/$21m I predicted. So there should still be a pretty good defense for the team.

That said, now it's time to look at adding in both FA and the draft at WR. They have the money to do so even if they want to claim they're poor. Go get Matthews and Boldin, then draft a guy to learn for a year (because he's almost certainly not going to be ready in 2016). Eifert is an injury waiting to happen, and you can't just leave AJ all alone with Tate, Krummy, and some rookie who probably won't be ready.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks I was asking more so about the comp pick. Do they count as a FA or cut player if signed?

Found an article and skimmed through it real quick. 

"Usually players released from their contract during this period are those who don’t factor at all into the future plans of a team and the team sees fit to let them have an early chance at free agency, Players like Michael Griffin, Nate Allen, and Riley Cooper all recently cut fit into this category. These players do not factor into any compensatory equations and would be the type of free agent that draft conscious teams like the Ravens and Packers would target once available."

If you have the time, you can check it out here to see if it answers your question better, holmes. 
http://overthecap.com/explaining-free-agent-and-contract-terms/

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
It's like people forget what 2012 was like, when we had Binns starting and a couple rookies barely contributed. It was a mess.

In 2014 we had a couple injuries and it was a mess again. Without Jones and Sanu, we're needle thin at WR, yet people think we can just plug in a couple rookies without missing a beat. What if AJ or Eifert miss time (which has happened) and we have a couple of raw rookies on the bench? No thanks.

Not all of these FA's are going to be overpaid. After the first few days, you start seeing more realistic deals. Honestly, I think a lot of people just don't want to advocate FA in any way shape or form.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Which would be amazing if the Bengals got to play the NFC South 6 times, the AFC South 4 times, and the NFC East (with Chip and without Romo) 4 times, playing against only 4 teams with winning records.

Instead the Bengals play in 6 games against teams who went to the postseason in 2016, including both AFC Championship teams and the Super Bowl winner.

Sadly they don't get a legendary cupcake schedule.

- - - - -
Also note that once the Panthers had to play a real defense (Broncos) their offense looked like a big 'ol pile of Shittsburgh.

Good point, Carolina had one of the puffiest schedules in recent NFL history and over the past few years rarely has had to play even a decent defense. As such, the Broncos making them look foolish wasn't that surprising.

We on the other hand constantly play tough defenses as a result of our conference and division. As such we absolutely need a lot of weapons, and so far this Free Agency period has not helped things at all, with the huge problem at Center unsolved and now no #2 or #3 WR. It basically is forcing our draft strategy to WR instead of other need areas.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  As for picks.. so you would rather just not have them at all ?? 

What, you mean like the 1976 Buccaneers?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually a good day for Bengals.. signed what is probably the two most important FAs they needed in George and Adam.. They did not reach and overspend on MJ... I am very happy with our first day....  ThumbsUp

Simply but well said, "great day to be a Bengals fan".
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 12:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's like people forget what 2012 was like, when we had Binns starting and a couple rookies barely contributed. It was a mess.

In 2014 we had a couple injuries and it was a mess again. Without Jones and Sanu, we're needle thin at WR, yet people think we can just plug in a couple rookies without missing a beat. What if AJ or Eifert miss time (which has happened) and we have a couple of raw rookies on the bench? No thanks.

Not all of these FA's are going to be overpaid. After the first few days, you start seeing more realistic deals. Honestly, I think a lot of people just don't want to advocate FA in any way shape or form.

That's why with that big of a need at WR go get a WR in the draft you think can help right away. Don't wait until the 3rd or 5th round.

Sign one of the cut guys to supplement what we draft.

Twilight of his HoF career Owens did well for us. I think twilight of his HoF career Andre Johnson could be a trustworthy 2. Mike Wallace would keep a double team off of AJ. See if you can steal him on a 1 year prove it deal. Jeremy Kerley would probably be a comparable option to other guys that would cost us a comp pick. Greg Jennings should have a year or two left. Brandon LaFell went and won a Super Bowl with the Patriots then shit the bed with an unhealthy year.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Burkhead could do making a full time switch to slot WR. I was a big fan of Super Mario coming out. His speed could keep the double teams off of AJ. And the two TE sets will be a lot more popular. 

Put Eifert out wide kroft on the line Hewitt in the backfield. 

We will survive.   
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 01:43 AM)phil413 Wrote: Simply but well said, "great day to be a Bengals fan".

Agreed. We should really start having more faith in Katie. The woman knows what she is doing ala Paul. In Katie I trust. 

Reply/Quote