Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Ross is playing this week

Good news
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Apparently they are going to mix it up with him this time around. Instead of doing the reverse from right to left, they will try it left to right.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Meh, don't care. Of all the receivers playing that aren't named AJ Green, Alex Erickson is the only one producing, so why not go with him....Marvin??? 
Reply/Quote
Not sure why Erickson doesn't get more playing time. He catches everything and gets separation. Good to have Ross ready to go. He needs to jump right into the fray!
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not sure why Erickson doesn't get more playing time. He catches everything and gets separation.  Good to have Ross ready to go. He needs to jump right into the fray!

Erickson: undrafted FA with no gamble
Ross: first round pick, raised eyebrows over durability concerns for that high a pick.

We're rolling with Ross.
Reply/Quote
We need to get this guy involved somehow, and I'm not talking reverses. He can be an x factor and a game changer with his speed alone, and we just need to figure out what we have in a lost season. I'm a big Erickson guy, but he's probably best suited as a slot guy. He's not going to take attention away from AJ.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not sure why Erickson doesn't get more playing time. He catches everything and gets separation.  Good to have Ross ready to go. He needs to jump right into the fray!

Same reason why it took 1 full season and 2 games to fire Zampese. Same reason why Hill is still the starting RB.

I'm hoping Ross can get open more than our other non-Green receivers, but we'll have to see.

And I will flip the eff out if the first time Ross sees the field it's a reverse. I don't care if it goes for a 2,000 yard TD, it will still piss me off that that's the first play they use him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We need to get this guy involved somehow, and I'm not talking reverses. He can be an x factor and a game changer with his speed alone, and we just need to figure out what we have in a lost season. I'm a big Erickson guy, but he's probably best suited as a slot guy. He's not going to take attention away from AJ.

You know, this is what I don't get. And this is not a knock on Ross in any way, and is a serious question...  his speed at the combine was what a 4.2? That's great and all, and is the combine record, but when matched against everyone else's 4.4s or 4.3s, does that 1 or 2 tenths of a second really make any difference on a 15 yd. route?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You know, this is what I don't get. And this is not a knock on Ross in any way, and is a serious question...  his speed at the combine was what a 4.2? That's great and all, and is the combine record, but when matched against everyone else's 4.4s or 4.3s, does that 1 or 2 tenths of a second really make any difference on a 15 yd. route?

Well and there is speed from a guy running in shorts...and speed with pads on in a game with guys hitting you and leaning on you, etc.

It's kinda how the Bengals seem to select lineman who set bench press and powerlifting records and fans act like they'll be some unstoppable force. (Westerman, Hunt, Billings, etc.) The guys on other teams are strong too. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We need to get this guy involved somehow, and I'm not talking reverses. He can be an x factor and a game changer with his speed alone, and we just need to figure out what we have in a lost season. I'm a big Erickson guy, but he's probably best suited as a slot guy. He's not going to take attention away from AJ.

....which is why you roll Ross out as WR2, playe Erickson in the slot, start WJIII at CB, and let Pacman handle return duties.  Seems pretty simple to me....but what do I know?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....which is why you roll Ross out as WR2, playe Erickson in the slot, start WJIII at CB, and let Pacman handle return duties.  Seems pretty simple to me....but what do I know?

Yep. NO WAY would I have Ross return punts.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well and there is speed from a guy running in shorts...and speed with pads on in a game with guys hitting you and leaning on you, etc.

It's kinda how the Bengals seem to select lineman who set bench press and powerlifting records and fans act like they'll be some unstoppable force. (Westerman, Hunt, Billings, etc.) The guys on other teams are strong too. 

It's like this weeks Hobsons choice question where someone asked about Erickson, and why he's not used more since he gets separation and catches everything. Hobson responded with some kind of Marvin speak about Ross, Boyd and Malone not having any catches, and don't we need to get them involved  as well. My answer to that is hell no, we need to go with the hot hand, and right now that's Alex Erickson.....
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You know, this is what I don't get. And this is not a knock on Ross in any way, and is a serious question...  his speed at the combine was what a 4.2? That's great and all, and is the combine record, but when matched against everyone else's 4.4s or 4.3s, does that 1 or 2 tenths of a second really make any difference on a 15 yd. route?

(10-26-2017, 12:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well and there is speed from a guy running in shorts...and speed with pads on in a game with guys hitting you and leaning on you, etc.

I would agree guys, but his college tape is nice.  He isn't just a speedster, he is quick in space, has good moves, and appears to run routes well.  If he can stay on the field, he should be an instant upgrade to Lafell.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would agree guys, but his college tape is nice.  He isn't just a speedster, he is quick in space, has good moves, and appears to run routes well.  If he can stay on the field, he should be an instant upgrade to Lafell.

I agree to an extent. In college, WR's get open as a team might have 1 good CB and he may run a 4.5 or 4.6. In the Pro's...most CB's you face will run a 4.4 and be able to hit and be physical.

Ross is kind of smallish and I'm wondering if the physicality is his issue.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would agree guys, but his college tape is nice.  He isn't just a speedster, he is quick in space, has good moves, and appears to run routes well.  If he can stay on the field, he should be an instant upgrade to Lafell.

That's great, like I said I am not knocking him. But so far all I've seen him do is his one fumble. When I look at who is fast and can separate, I look at what I see when I watch them play. Erickson, to me, looks like the fastest player on the field. Now granted Ross has not been out there, and I agree, will be a huge jump in speed over LaFell, and I hope he comes on strong.
Reply/Quote

On shorter routes, I don't think the actual speed comes into play as much...I'd say it's the threat of the speed that could open things up for him. Once he burns a few guys, he'll get corners playing off of him...which will open up the underneath stuff. He has to prove he can beat the bump and run, too though. 

The difference between a quick-twitch 4.2 guy and a guy that runs a 4.55 can be pretty substantial though, even on a 15 yard route. That's an extra step or two on the corner and in a game as fast and precise as NFL football, that's a big deal. He has to be able to run good routes, play smart and beat that physical coverage though, in order to take full advantage of that speed.

(10-26-2017, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....which is why you roll Ross out as WR2, playe Erickson in the slot, start WJIII at CB, and let Pacman handle return duties.  Seems pretty simple to me....but what do I know?

Spot on. I like Erickson as a KR, but we need to try to get him more snaps as a WR.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Been wanting to see this guy all year, color me excited for Mr. John Ross at WR2.

Wyche nailed it. If Erickson is playing better than Lafell and Boyd use him at Slot with Green and Ross out wide.

WJ3 needs to start over Adam, let Adam stay as the Punt Returner.

Zamp using just reverses with Ross never made sense to me. He has a wide route tree and is extremely quick coming
in and out of his cuts. Use him the way the Stoolers use AB. Ross is not just fast, he is quick too, use it, he is great in
space with the ball in his hands. Can use him on Slants, Screens and Curl routes.
Reply/Quote

This is what I was talking about. Why not have the two on the field?  
Reply/Quote

It is simple. 
But in football, especially in the Ehhhn Eeeef Elllll, they love to over think and complicate things more than they have to be. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross is kind of smallish and I'm wondering if the physicality is his issue.

Particularly, since Dalton has been known to sail balls high over a WR who is 5 inches taller than him.
Reply/Quote