Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Ross is playing this week
(10-29-2017, 06:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do we know this?  Again, not to give Marvin undue credit, but what evidence do we have that Ross is a sure-fire ticket to success that Marvin Lewis is simply too stupid or too insane to take advantage of?

I'm just assuming the guy is a combo of injured and not ready.  That doesn't seem too hard to believe, honestly.

We don’t know he will contribute something, but you seem to be adamant he will contribute nothing. By your logic, your statement is also wrong because we haven’t seen him prove he can’t contribute.
I’m basing my assumption he can contribute from scouting him leading up through the draft. What’s your reason he won’t contribute anything? What makes you think he’s bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I wouldn't and couldn't fault Ross if he did like Cutler and Rivers on wildcat plays and just stood with his hands on his hips as the play unfolded. After the game, he could say he wasn't part of the gameplan and wasn't sure what to do. Obviously Marvin would say he needs to grow up and continue to learn from the bench.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 06:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We don’t know he will contribute something, but you seem to be adamant he will contribute nothing. By your logic, your statement is also wrong because we haven’t seen him prove he can’t contribute.
I’m basing my assumption he can contribute from scouting him leading up through the draft. What’s your reason he won’t contribute anything? What makes you think he’s bad?

I'm not adamant that he will contribute nothing, I'm just not convinced Marvin Lewis is refusing to play a gem for reasons we simply can't explain.  I never said the guy is bad, I'm just assuming there is a reason he isn't on the field other than Marvin Lewis is intentionally trying to put us in a position to fail.

If Marvin is way too gung ho to not play rookies, some people in these parts are way too eager to shake things up for the sake of shaking things up.  If Ross is as good as he should be, even a coach as stupid as Marvin Lewis will be able to see it eventually.  Right?
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 06:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not adamant that he will contribute nothing, I'm just not convinced Marvin Lewis is refusing to play a gem for reasons we simply can't explain.  I never said the guy is bad, I'm just assuming there is a reason he isn't on the field other than Marvin Lewis is intentionally trying to put us in a position to fail.

If Marvin is way too gung ho to not play rookies, some people in these parts are way too eager to shake things up for the sake of shaking things up.  If Ross is as good as he should be, even a coach as stupid as Marvin Lewis will be able to see it eventually.  Right?

No, I’ve seen Marvin Lewis be stupidly stubborn for dumb/no reason.
You seem to have faith Marvin knows something we don’t. I believe Marvin can’t/won’t see something we do.

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 06:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not adamant that he will contribute nothing, I'm just not convinced Marvin Lewis is refusing to play a gem for reasons we simply can't explain.  I never said the guy is bad, I'm just assuming there is a reason he isn't on the field other than Marvin Lewis is intentionally trying to put us in a position to fail.

We are talking about Marvin Lewis who has spent 15 years with Mike Brown who both have stuck with an OLine Coach who is total shit and even promoted him to assistant head coach. I honestly do not believe I can trust Marvin Lewis' decision making and I know for fact I can't trust Mike Brown's.

Since Lewis has been here, he likes to play rookies...............who aren't 1st round picks. Yes, yes, I know, AJ Green. However, the rare few who do play are the exception and not the norm. Most of our first round picks seem to either be injured when we draft them or get injured in training camp and spend their first season "learning".
Reply/Quote
Complete speculation, but perhaps Marvin's comments about Ross earlier in the week were in the same vein as Bill Parcells saying "She'll be alright" in reference to Terry Glenn his rookie year.
Reply/Quote

He played Malone though...who is a rookie.

The issue has to be Ross. Not Marvin. Maybe Ross looks bad in practice?
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 06:29 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Irrelevant. 
When your offense has been this bad with Lafell and the rest, you give the one guy who hasn't had his chance a shot. 
Denying that because of your own ego/pride/silly high school style rules is bullshit and detrimental to the team

Chance to do what?  Just sprint down the sideline?  We can't get the QB time to get the ball downfield to AJ, so why put Ross out there to do the same if that's all he can do at present?  Wait until he is ready to contribute in the short and intermediate game as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 06:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross must not look good in practice is all I can think. He must look quite bad for this treatment.

It's looking like Jerome Simpson part II.

Simpson actually looked pretty good when Marv finally had no choice but to play him. I'd wager the same will be said for Ross when he finally gets some meaningful playing time... Only Ross will have a better career when it's all said and done. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 07:00 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Chance to do what?  Just sprint down the sideline?  We can't get the QB time to get the ball downfield to AJ, so why put Ross out there to do the same if that's all he can do at present?  Wait until he is ready to contribute in the short and intermediate game as well.

Yeah...for whatever reason our offense just doesn't throw deep much. So it's not like we can just line Ross up and send him deep as you say.

Our line is epically bad. Our running game is horrible.
Reply/Quote

Ross was never injured. Again, I'm 90% sure of that so that narrative is out the window for me. There is some ulterior motive Marvin has for not playing him. I don't know what reasons he has, but I'm guessing they're either personal or Marv is still punishing him for that fumble. In any case, there is no good reason not to get Ross on the field for at least a few plays. None.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Ross was looking stellar in practice and Marv still decided to leave him out of the gameplan. I don't think Marv is necessarily that stupid (debatable), but I do think he is that stubborn. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 07:00 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Chance to do what?  Just sprint down the sideline?  We can't get the QB time to get the ball downfield to AJ, so why put Ross out there to do the same if that's all he can do at present?  Wait until he is ready to contribute in the short and intermediate game as well.

Why not? It's more than Lafell or anyone else offers right now. 
It's working for Houston with Will Fuller. 
AJ is largely doubled. You can't do that if there's another potential threat. Lafell is not a deep threat. Core isn't. Malone isn't. 

Why not see if Ross can be that guy? 
Who cares if it's all he can do *RIGHT NOW*
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 08:18 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Why not? It's more than Lafell or anyone else offers right now. 
It's working for Houston with Will Fuller. 
AJ is largely doubled. You can't do that if there's another potential threat. Lafell is not a deep threat. Core isn't. Malone isn't. 

Why not see if Ross can be that guy? 
Who cares if it's all he can do *RIGHT NOW*

Houston has a line that provides enough time to get the ball down the field.

I think you are missing my point.  Lack of a run game and protection means we have to use the underneath quick game to slow up the rush and create downfield opportunities.  All of the guys who you named have the familiarity in the offense to help in the underneath game, so they will always get the nod over Ross until he has had enough time to be able to contribute in that part of the offense outside of just select packages that telegraph what we are doing.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 08:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Houston has a line that provides enough time to get the ball down the field.

I think you are missing my point.  Lack of a run game and protection means we have to use the underneath quick game to slow up the rush and create downfield opportunities.  All of the guys who you named have the familiarity in the offense to help in the underneath game, so they will always get the nod over Ross until he has had enough time to be able to contribute in that part of the offense outside of just select packages that telegraph what we are doing.

4.2 speed doesn't require the time. 

You know what else slows the rush? The screen game. Screen to Ross sounds effective. Screen to Lafell sounds like something you do to troll someone in Madden in a blow out
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 06:19 PM)Sweetness Wrote: For the last time people, BOYD IS INJURED. It came out he has a sprained MCL weeks ago. Good God people, you all and your conspiracy theories

And since when has Marvin ever been credited with making smart personnel decisions? That dude's the oldest old school coach out there. He's like the baseball coach that thinks sabermetrics is podunk.

Didnt know he was hurt... 

(assuming they are telling the truth)  Mellow
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Margin doesn't like to play rookies and stubbornly sticks with some vets. Thst has been clear for years. He has kept rookie WRs on the bench too long. Same as CBs . It's crazy that WJIII is CB4

Can't give Marvin a pass on how little Ross has contributed. Either this coaching staff missed on his readiness at draft time - we kept hearing them talk about him being a complete WR after they drafted him or they aren't trusting him to learn on the field.

Marvins explanation for why Hill starts games is laughable. That he can learn on the sidelines what the team is doing and they can make adjustments. Seriously? Apparently Marvin is the the only one who ascribes yo this theory as I haven't seen another team have one RB who only starts games and halves and then the feature back comes in
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 08:39 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Didnt know he was hurt... 

(assuming they are telling the truth)  Mellow

Remember the ugly knee twist a few weeks ago?  I honestly thought it was a blown ACL, but apparently it wasn't that bad.
Reply/Quote
Ross has not been healthy enough today develop chemistry with Dalton.

But would think he would be used on a few go routes today keep defense honest

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I can explain it and any long time true fan will agree, Marvin hides behind excuses so he can have a job next year, He benched Aj for the rest of the season last year, twice he shelved Eifert, he does not play his best players WHY? So he can sell himself to Mike Brown year after year. He can say Mr. Brown I didn't win because AJ got hurt, Rookies didn't develop, ect.ect. See, if Marvin ever has a healthy team and plays his best players and they get destroyed first round, or don't make the playoffs then everyone will see, Its Marvins fault and he will be canned. There is a part of him that celebrates when players go down because his resume just got a little stronger Cool Sad truth, What can Marvin do with a healthy talented team? Look no further than the 2 senior bowls he coached, his teams were absolutely destroyed despite talent being even Ninja . With Marvin its always selling hope for next year and never win now! Marvin has to go!
Reply/Quote
Marvin lewis is a terrible motivator, he makes no half time adjustments, he's confused in time critical scenarios. When your team has repeatedly performed poorly TNF games, MNF games, late night games, playoff games, and bye games - ultimately the head coach is responsible.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote