Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School
(07-13-2022, 09:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My favorite is when we look back in the literature for Boy Scouts it is a game in the handbooks. Definitely not something we can get the kids to do these days.

Most definitely.  Things we thought were very middle of the road would now be considered borderline child abuse.  I had amazing parents, but it was the norm back then (late 70's for you younger folks) for you to leave in the morning, be wherever all day and come back home for dinner.  That would never fly now, and the kicker being that it's much safer to do so now that it was back then.

Quote:I like sharp things. I get it from my father who was a woodworker. I don't have the talent he had, but he imparted in me an appreciation for quality blades. Kitchen knives, axes, pocket knives, multi-tools, sheath knives, all of them have to be a good quality. I keep them sharp and, if carbon steel, oiled well. I wish I could say that at least it's cheaper than firearms, but I have a couple knives that are as expensive as my Glocks. I may actually have underestimated the money I have in my collection.

I feel you here.  I have two axes, or rather an axe and a hatchet, and I rarely use either.  But I had to buy a Gränsfors Bruks for both of them because I really appreciate the high level of craftsmanship.  Something about a quality, handmade tool really sits well with me.  I'm happy to pay a premium for a premium product.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 09:38 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: 4 or 5 string?

Four, a Fender J Bass with dual humbuckers.  Honestly, my brother in law uses it far more than I do, he has a recording studio in his garage and uses it all the time.  I'm just happy it gets regular use as it's a fun bass to play.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 09:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I feel you here.  I have two axes, or rather an axe and a hatchet, and I rarely use either.  But I had to buy a Gränsfors Bruks for both of them because I really appreciate the high level of craftsmanship.  Something about a quality, handmade tool really sits well with me.  I'm happy to pay a premium for a premium product.

Gränsfors Bruks and Hults Bruk are the two most common axe brands you will find in my hand. I have some others, like a couple of Plumb hatchets that are from the mid-century made for the Boy Scouts, and I have one 19th century axe hand forged by a local blacksmith at the time, but other than those it's all GB and HB.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
How wonderful!  Kumbaya and all that!

No idea what it has to do with the topic but good for all of you!   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 09:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Four, a Fender J Bass with dual humbuckers.  Honestly, my brother in law uses it far more than I do, he has a recording studio in his garage and uses it all the time.  I'm just happy it gets regular use as it's a fun bass to play.

Nice. 

Got myself a 5 string Fender Jaguar (I think that's what it is) that I haven't picked up in like 3 years. I really need to get back into it.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 05:53 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I feel there are obvious examples that would preclude gun ownership, such as:

Anyone who has previously committed a crime where a gun was involved.
Anyone diagnosed with a serious mental illness such as schizophrenia.
Anyone who has been found to have made credible threats towards the public.

I also think gun ownership should require testing, a license and liability insurance. 

No. Gun ownership is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. The Government should be forced to show you shouldn't have a gun before that right is taken away. And requiring insurance is just a way to keep them out of low income hands.....
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 08:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No. Gun ownership is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. The Government should be forced to show you shouldn't have a gun before that right is taken away. And requiring insurance is just a way to keep them out of low income hands.....

I'll do ya one better and say this situation shows that our current gun laws disarm sane and law abiding minors who need to defend themselves against criminal teenagers and criminally negligent adults. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How many good guys with guns does it take to stop one bad guy with a gun?

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2022, 09:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: How many good guys with guns does it take to stop one bad guy with a gun?

A much better question, how many good guys with a gun does it take to overcome systemic failure from leadership at the highest levels?  Your hatred of law enforcement doesn't even allow you to place blame for this poochscrew on the right people.  Shocking, I know.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2022, 09:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: How many good guys with guns does it take to stop one bad guy with a gun?

One.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/indiana-greenwood-park-mall-shooting/index.html
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 11:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: One.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/indiana-greenwood-park-mall-shooting/index.html

Nice use of a CNN source before people whine that the liberal media is ignoring this. 
Reply/Quote

So you're saying there were just too many at the school and and they were all waiting for someone else to make a move?  Ninja

Still, the exception.

Quote:It's rare to have an armed bystander attack an active shooter, according to a data analysis published by The New York Times.

There were at least 433 active shooter attacks in the US from 2000 to 2021, according to the data analysis. Active shooter attacks were defined as those in which one or more shooters killed or attempted to kill multiple unrelated people in a populated place.

Of those 433 active shooter cases, an armed bystander shot the attacker in 22 of the incidents. In 10 of those, the "good guy" was a security guard or an off-duty police officer, the Times reported.

And having more than one armed person at the scene who is not a member of law enforcement can create confusion and carry dire risks, the report found. For example, an armed bystander who shot and killed an attacker in 2021 in Arvada, Colorado, was himself shot and killed by the police who mistook him for the gunman, the Times reported.

However when it does happen it should be praised as the system working I suppose.
Reply/Quote

Amen, or there was this one that happened right after the Uvalde shooting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61615236
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 11:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: So you're saying there were just too many at the school and and they were all waiting for someone else to make a move?  Ninja

Still, the exception.

However when it does happen it should be praised as the system working I suppose.

No, not the exception.  Is it common, as in happens more often than not?  No.  But it certainly happens far, far more often then people like you want to admit.  In addition to the two examples Bel and I gave that happened within the past two months defensive gun uses happen literally on a daily basis.  Peruse the following subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/dgu/

And this obviously doesn't count the thousand of defensive gun uses that happen on a regular basis that don't involve a shooting and thus never make the news.  I wonder how much proof it would take for gun control advocates such as yourself will start to admit that disarming law abiding citizens is wrong, especially while the left continues to advocate for kid glove treatment for actual armed criminals.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 11:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Nice use of a CNN source before people whine that the liberal media is ignoring this. 

LOL....CNN is practically burying the story already.  I could barely find it on their front page.

However, when the identity of the shooter comes out and if he's white, they're gonna run with it for days.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 01:00 PM)basballguy Wrote: LOL....CNN is practically burying the story already.  I could barely find it on their front page.

However, when the identity of the shooter comes out and if he's white, they're gonna run with it for days.

Mellow out, Mona. 

I will admit a white shooter stopped by an illegal immigrant with a gun would make for a fun news cycle, though. 
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 01:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Mellow out, Mona. 

I will admit a white shooter stopped by an illegal immigrant with a gun would make for a fun news cycle, though. 

Trying to make everyone's head explode, eh?
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 01:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Trying to make everyone's head explode, eh?

An American with a gun shot an American with a gun who was shooting Americans with his gun....there are victories for everyone, here. 

Bye baseball, the new american past time is analyzing and scoring American on American gun violence. 
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 02:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: An American with a gun shot an American with a gun who was shooting Americans with his gun....there are victories for everyone, here. 

Bye baseball, the new american past time is analyzing and scoring American on American gun violence. 

Well at least Chicago can bring back another title.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 02:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: An American with a gun shot an American with a gun who was shooting Americans with his gun....there are victories for everyone, here. 

I'm sensing that one good guy is better than 400 police so "defund the police" isn't so crazy after all?  Ninja
Reply/Quote