Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maualuga Released
This shows our cap spend for last year (2016). If you look at the past 4 years, you will find the Bengals spend about the same amount as the Pats, scary how they were able to win in spite of not spending over the league average.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2016/

Note the league average spend and you will find the Bengals spent more than the league average. IMHO this shows MB does indeed spend money, the bigger question is he spending it on the right players? Also, is it a coaching issue, because I have not seen a spend issue for a very long time with the Bengals franchise.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 07:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Bonnie, I feel your pain and I chuckled at your post.  It isn't easy when your team loses guys that have seemingly been on the team forever, but it is often necessary to cut bait and move on.  I loved Whit.  His line after getting ejected for fighting Richard Seymour (Raiders) when that bytch was trying to gouge his eyes out after a late hit on Dalton caused a tussle.  He said:  "I have two contracts in my life:  My marriage to my wife and to protect Andy Dalton".  I fell head over heels in love with him.  My favorite Bengal.  I could deal with the losses of Zeitler (way overrated), and Sexy (but I really, really liked the guy), but Whit...he was my guy.  

Then I remembered when the Reds resigned Barry Larkin when they should have let him go and gone with younger players.  We got to witness his decline, and he cost the Reds a lot of money that could have been used to bring in some young pitchers.  But the got emotional, and at the game when Larkin received standing ovations at every at-bat when he was playing what everyone thought was his final game, the team caved and did what they thought the fan base would want.  And it set the team back three more years.

Whit is no exception.  He is a GREAT man, and his durability is borderline unprecedented.  But they had to get younger, and they have a lot of other pieces that would need the contracts thus prohibiting the contract for Whitworth.  

Ced has been a massive failure, and that overvalues Whit even more.  If the Bengals do a little creative work in the draft, they could slide in Rd 1, get the WR Ross or Davis, then trade BACK in to Round 1 and get Cam Robinson to compete with Ced at LT.  Either Ced has improved enough to win the job (he can't play guard) and the LT spot is secure and Robinson goes on to be an All-Pro at RG or Robinson wins the job at LT and the position is secure and we have the winner of Westerman and Smith at RG.  Either way the offense is better and the run blocking is significantly upgraded.  Again, the offense and the running game are significantly upgraded, at a savings of roughly $22 million.  

That is the job that can and still could be done.  If they pull that off, they deserve an A+ for making the difficult moves and not letting emotional attachments get in the way of improving the team.

They did sign the younger, rising talent Dre Kirkpatrick and a young, speedy LB from AZ (Minter).  They also re-upped with the consummate Pro, LaFell.  

If they can pull of that kind of draft, the team won't just be improved, it will be MUCH improved.  

I get what you're saying.  I'm just very concerned about our O line. Ogbuehi doesn't impress me at all.   I would have kept Whitworth for two more years.  Maybe they will get somebody in the draft who can play LT right away, but that's asking a lot.   I also felt Whit deserved to never wear any other colors but orange and black.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 11:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Let's hope it is not the end of this era.

Before Maualuga arrived it hdbeen 20 years since the Bengals had a top 10 scoring defense.  But since Rey arrived in 09 we have been top ten 6 of the last 8 years.

Maualuga, like many popular message board whipping boys, was better than a lot of people wanted to give him credit for.  But his playing time had dropped off dramatically and he showed up out of shape last year suffering from some mysterious injury he could not identify.  It was time to move on.

Malanuga actually had an amazing game in that playoff game against Pitt.

Sad to see him go, but I feel that the time is right.

A lot of people (myself included) got their wish; the defense will be a lot younger this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 12:56 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I get what you're saying.  I'm just very concerned about our O line. Ogbuehi doesn't impress me at all.   I would have kept Whitworth for two more years.  Maybe they will get somebody in the draft who can play LT right away, but that's asking a lot.   I also felt Whit deserved to never wear any other colors but orange and black.  

I am worried about Ced as well. I hope he fools us all and does Whitt. proud because even our old LT is rooting for him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 12:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I did not find 2016 numbers, but  this shows how all of the contracts are impacted from 2017 to 2018, most are raises and a lot of contracts so it will always be a factor in spend and also cap numbers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/

Appreciate that link. There's always small incremental raises for players. Maybe close to $12 million worth. I still have trouble believing that the best we could eke out was bringing back Andre for $3 million and swapping Maualuga for Minter for a net increase of 800k.

(03-26-2017, 12:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This shows our cap spend for last year (2016). If you look at the past 4 years, you will find the Bengals spend about the same amount as the Pats, scary how they were able to win in spite of not spending over the league average.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2016/

Note the league average spend and you will find the Bengals spent more than the league average. IMHO this shows MB does indeed spend money, the bigger question is he spending it on the right players? Also, is it a coaching issue, because I have not seen a spend issue for a very long time with the Bengals franchise.

I'm not arguing that the Bengals never spend close to cap. I'm sure they have, and the problem in those years would be keeping overpriced players or not restructuring contracts. I'm specifically talking about now though. As of now, regardless of which way spotrac breaks it down (they have 3 options), the Bengals have between the 7th and 12th most cap space in the league. 

They could've done more in free agency. Especially with the state of the o-line. That's all I'm saying.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 11:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Let's hope it is not the end of this era.

Before Maualuga arrived it hdbeen 20 years since the Bengals had a top 10 scoring defense.  But since Rey arrived in 09 we have been top ten 6 of the last 8 years.

Maualuga, like many popular message board whipping boys, was better than a lot of people wanted to give him credit for.  But his playing time had dropped off dramatically and he showed up out of shape last year suffering from some mysterious injury he could not identify.  It was time to move on.

In 8 seasons he had 353 tackles, 4 sacks and 7 ints and 3 fumble recoveries.   He was nothing more than an average to below average player his whole career.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 12:56 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I get what you're saying.  I'm just very concerned about our O line. Ogbuehi doesn't impress me at all.   I would have kept Whitworth for two more years.  Maybe they will get somebody in the draft who can play LT right away, but that's asking a lot.   I also felt Whit deserved to never wear any other colors but orange and black.  

I totally get the emotion of losing Whit...he was my favorite Bengal for some time.  However, the offensive line (I'm bound to get destroyed for this) could be substantially improved this year, especially when it comes to the running game.

Here's why:

From right to left:

Fisher was solid at RT once he finally landed there (and where he probably should have been all along).  His second year at the position, and his third year in the NFL strength training program will only make him more valuable this year.  I also liked his attitude.  The offensive line didn't look bad at all after moving Ced out of there.  

RG:  A mystery, but at the very least a significantly better run blocker in Smith could pay real dividends here as he is otherwise facing probably being out of the league.  If he comes in and is good at RG, he could get another contract and extend his career.  Westerman and Johnson provide quality depth.  There will undoubtedly be a draft pick spent here as well.  Forrest Lamp, Dan Feeney, or even Pat Elfleing would be good choices here.

Center:  He won't be worse, and like it or not, he did show significant improvement vs. a year ago.  I could see them drafting Elflein in the second, especially if they get another pick by sliding in Rd 1.  Either way, Bodine will be solid or pushed out of a job.

LG:  Boling played most of last season injured and still held his own.  One of the more underrated players on the team.
Johnson and a draft pick will back up.

LT:  The big question mark:  Can Ced at least be solid?  Maybe, but I wouldn't risk it.  I trade back in to the first and try to get Cam Robinson.  The winner between those two gets LT.  If it is Ced, Robinson moves to RG and becomes an All-Pro.  I have to give the Bengals credit that they will do more than just hope Ced works out.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 05:17 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I wanted the Bengals to draft him sooooo bad.  He just never was able to be an all around backer.  He stoned alot of lineman in their tracks allowing Vontaze and others to run freely in his time here though.  He did that as good as any lb in the league.  Hope his body isn't screwed for life.  Thanks for the memories Rey Rey.

I remember that moment in time... didn't want Rey in rd #2...I wanted an OC.......but it seems I want an OC in rd #2 every yr....& am always disappointed....  {sigh}.....
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I totally get the emotion of losing Whit...he was my favorite Bengal for some time.  However, the offensive line (I'm bound to get destroyed for this) could be substantially improved this year, especially when it comes to the running game.

Here's why:

From right to left:

Fisher was solid at RT once he finally landed there (and where he probably should have been all along).  His second year at the position, and his third year in the NFL strength training program will only make him more valuable this year.  I also liked his attitude.  The offensive line didn't look bad at all after moving Ced out of there.  

RG:  A mystery, but at the very least a significantly better run blocker in Smith could pay real dividends here as he is otherwise facing probably being out of the league.  If he comes in and is good at RG, he could get another contract and extend his career.  Westerman and Johnson provide quality depth.  There will undoubtedly be a draft pick spent here as well.  Forrest Lamp, Dan Feeney, or even Pat Elfleing would be good choices here.

Center:  He won't be worse, and like it or not, he did show significant improvement vs. a year ago.  I could see them drafting Elflein in the second, especially if they get another pick by sliding in Rd 1.  Either way, Bodine will be solid or pushed out of a job.

LG:  Boling played most of last season injured and still held his own.  One of the more underrated players on the team.

LT:  The big question mark:  Can Ced at least be solid?  Maybe, but I wouldn't risk it.  I trade back in to the first and try to get Cam Robinson.  The winner between those two gets LT.  If it is Ced, Robinson moves to RG and becomes an All-Pro.  I have to give the Bengals credit that they will do more than just hope Ced works out.

Andre Smith was signed to play RG, correct?  I'm not so sure the Bengals wouldn't just cross their fingers and hope Ogbuehi works out.  I don't think we'll have an improved line from last year UNLESS we change Centers and UNLESS Ogbuehi is halfway decent.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:19 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Andre Smith was signed to play RG, correct?  I'm not so sure the Bengals wouldn't just cross their fingers and hope Ogbuehi works out.  I don't think we'll have an improved line from last year UNLESS we change Centers and UNLESS Ogbuehi is halfway decent.

Yes, the intention is for Smith to play RG and has a one-year contract.  I don't think changing Centers will dramatically improve our team this season.  I would hope someone like Elflein gets selected in the 2nd or even 3rd round to push for the starting job, but I would be very surprised if they could unseat Bodine in their first year.  Bodine wasn't the worst part of the line last year, it was Ced at RT and, honestly, Zeitler wasn't helping much in the running game either. 

I think Cam Robinson could come in and win the job at LT and Ced is reduced to a backup role and extra TE in certain situations.  Ced would likely not receive a second contract if that were to happen but the team would be in really good shape with a much improved line.

I think the Bengals could slide in Rd 1, get Ross, and trade back in to Rd 1 by giving up their second and third round picks,  at say, 26, and get Robinson.  They would still have a second rounder and they also still have the potential to trade AJM.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 06:34 PM)Housh Wrote: Good run stopper would be generous imo

He was very good at getting to the point where he was in place for the tackle.

Was not good at all at finishing. But mathematically since he got there so much he made enough of those tackles to make him look good and stick around for what close to a freaking decade?

Michael Johnson would be one of the best rotation DEs in the league if he didn't suffer from the same sickness. Michael used to get to the QB ALOT but could never get the sack

I said "in his time" Housh, in his time he was a good run stopper.

Like others have said, in the good old days he would of been a great LB when they didn't have to cover.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 02:09 PM)bengalhoel Wrote:    He was nothing more than an average to below average player his whole career.

I disagree.

It used to be easy for fans to just claim that they knew more than the stupid Bengal coaches.  But since Rey has been here we have finished top ten in scoring defense 6 of 8 years.  The coaches that built that succesful defense valued Maualuga. 
Reply/Quote
He will be signed soon. Zimmer, Hue Jackson and Gruden are possible.

Jets, Saints, Colts, Cardinals, Giants, Texans, Steelers, Chiefs, Raiders, Patriots need LB help and Rams need a LB but no first round pick.

Somebody will sign him soon.

Bengals draft need of a LB just went way up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I totally get the emotion of losing Whit...he was my favorite Bengal for some time.  However, the offensive line (I'm bound to get destroyed for this) could be substantially improved this year, especially when it comes to the running game.

Here's why:

From right to left:

Lot of good points here SHRacer. Fisher has been moved around so much it is hard to blame him for not
playing great last year. To finally be put at RT and for him to stay there should help tons. Out of Andre,
Westerman, TJ and Hopkins, one of them should be decent. Like you said, Andre should be a significant
upgrade over Z in the run game.

Westerman was a great pass blocker in college so we might have pretty close to the same player as Z on
this team anyways. So true of Boling, dude is very underrated and i believe was much better than Zeitler
last year even with the injury, especially at run blocking.

Getting a Center like Elflein would help this team immediately i think. He would be too good to leave on
the bench his rookie year. Let Bodine be the backup, he might be good in this role.

Og better be pumping iron, i doubt we draft Cam Robinson but if we draft a guy like Moton, Fisher could
take Og's spot if he continues to struggle strength wise. These guys will improve, we just don't know how
much. We don't know if Whit will fall off this year either and it was the right move to let him go.

The Rams sure paid him good for a 36 year old OT for 3 years.

Hopefully Whit comes back and coaches for us when his time is up.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 07:26 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: OK now they get a D in free agency instead of an F-

I had them graded as a D- before this, I've bumped it up to a straight D now. Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 04:32 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: The moment we have all been waiting for!

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, the intention is for Smith to play RG and has a one-year contract.  I don't think changing Centers will dramatically improve our team this season.  I would hope someone like Elflein gets selected in the 2nd or even 3rd round to push for the starting job, but I would be very surprised if they could unseat Bodine in their first year.  Bodine wasn't the worst part of the line last year, it was Ced at RT and, honestly, Zeitler wasn't helping much in the running game either. 

I think Cam Robinson could come in and win the job at LT and Ced is reduced to a backup role and extra TE in certain situations.  Ced would likely not receive a second contract if that were to happen but the team would be in really good shape with a much improved line.

I think the Bengals could slide in Rd 1, get Ross, and trade back in to Rd 1 by giving up their second and third round picks,  at say, 26, and get Robinson.  They would still have a second rounder and they also still have the potential to trade AJM.  

I have no problem with them trading down in this draft and picking O line. However, if they could get Fournette or Williams I would understand them doing that at #9.  They also could trade McCarron for another second round pick.
Reply/Quote
In his prime years, 2012-2013.

"Bengals MLB Rey Maualuga missed 14.8 percent of his tackle opportunities in the regular season.
Maualuga missed on 13-of-88 tackle opportunities in 13 game, the third highest percent of missed tackles for a player on the season. One season removed from being PFF's lowest graded inside linebacker out of 53 qualifiers, Maualuga again proved to be a liability."

Lol at out fans saying he was a key part of the defense.
Reply/Quote
Rey was a good thumper at Mike. He was at his best on inside run plays or goal line. Where he was weak was pass defense and also reading plays - which was why they took the radio away from him as quickly as possible. The weakness in coverage also meant the Bengals were very vulnerable to pass plays to his area when he was in there - as in to the TE.

Minter brings a different skill set to the Mike position. He is faster and can defend both pass and run. He also reads plays well and is used to wearing the radio.

I wish Rey luck wherever he lands.
Reply/Quote
Good luck, Rey! I'll miss this guy, he was a beast at stuffing the run, but I'm sure he'll have a new gig soon enough. Just don't sign with another AFC North team, bro!
Reply/Quote