Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maualuga Released
(03-26-2017, 04:55 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I have no problem with them trading down in this draft and picking O line. However, if they could get Fournette or Williams I would understand them doing that at #9.  They also could trade McCarron for another second round pick.

We have the best back up QB for the value at only $750K a year. I would be upset if we did not get at least a 1st round pick for AJ
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If Rey was so good at 'stopping the run'

Why was the run defense ranked 20th or worse in 2 of the last 3 years?

And, in the 6 playoff games Rey played in, They gave up an 1001 rushing yards. Lol What a stud!
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I disagree.

It used to be easy for fans to just claim that they knew more than the stupid Bengal coaches.  But since Rey has been here we have finished top ten in scoring defense 6 of 8 years.  The coaches that built that succesful defense valued Maualuga. 

The coaches also "valued" Robert Geathers. Does that make him better than "average" as a starter?

I'm no Maualuga hater, but he was a very specialized player. Good run thumper in his prime? Sure. As an overall player though? Very average. Couldn't cover, rarely wore a headset, not a playmaker. Not every starter is going to be a star...and that's okay. We don't have to pretend Maualuga was amazing though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Getting a Center like Elflein would help this team immediately i think. He would be too good to leave on
the bench his rookie year. Let Bodine be the backup, he might be good in this role.
Though an average Center would look All-Pro compared to Bodine...  Eilflein needs some work too.

I was reading his scouting report and it says he's really weak(slow)at pulling.

That could be a real problem in this offense.  Especially if Piano Man is expected to remedy it. Whatever
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, the intention is for Smith to play RG and has a one-year contract.  I don't think changing Centers will dramatically improve our team this season.  I would hope someone like Elflein gets selected in the 2nd or even 3rd round to push for the starting job, but I would be very surprised if they could unseat Bodine in their first year.  Bodine wasn't the worst part of the line last year, it was Ced at RT and, honestly, Zeitler wasn't helping much in the running game either. 

I think Cam Robinson could come in and win the job at LT and Ced is reduced to a backup role and extra TE in certain situations.  Ced would likely not receive a second contract if that were to happen but the team would be in really good shape with a much improved line.

I think the Bengals could slide in Rd 1, get Ross, and trade back in to Rd 1 by giving up their second and third round picks,  at say, 26, and get Robinson.  They would still have a second rounder and they also still have the potential to trade AJM.  
Does anyone honestly think the FO is capable of pulling off a successful strategy like this?... I hope so, but doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 06:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Though an average Center would look All-Pro compared to Bodine...  Eilflein needs some work too.

I was reading his scouting report and it says he's really weak(slow)at pulling.

That could be a real problem in this offense.  Especially if Piano Man is expected to remedy it. Whatever

True enough, doesn't have to be Elflein. Toth, Pocic, Orlovsky etc.

It was maddening last year watching Zeitler try and pull block, he was so damn slow the RB would get caught everytime.

Cannot believe PA cannot see these things in practice.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 06:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True enough, doesn't have to be Elflein. Toth, Pocic, Orlovsky etc.

It was maddening last year watching Zeitler try and pull block, he was so damn slow the RB would get caught everytime.

Cannot believe PA cannot see these things in practice.

You mean Zampese right? They are his play designs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 06:58 PM)Synric Wrote: You mean Zampese right? They are his play designs.

Him too. Boling is our only good pulling Guard right now.
Reply/Quote
Then maybe its time to rethink the blocking schemes and de-emphasize pulling. If our interior line is better suited to drive blocking then drive block - get the pads low and fire off into the defenders and push.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 07:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: Then maybe its time to rethink the blocking schemes and de-emphasize pulling. If our interior line is better suited to drive blocking then drive block - get the pads low and fire off into the defenders and push.

I think that's a very valid criticism of the Bengals overall. They don't seem to tailor their scheme to the players. They seem to have a scheme and stick to it when maybe some slight changes would help a player succeed.

Evan Mathis is a perfect example. He was average here. Then he went to Philly and their scheme fit what he does well perfectly and he was the best Guard for a couple years.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I disagree.

It used to be easy for fans to just claim that they knew more than the stupid Bengal coaches.  But since Rey has been here we have finished top ten in scoring defense 6 of 8 years.  The coaches that built that succesful defense valued Maualuga. 

I get what your saying Fredtoast but cmon don't insult the boards intelligence.

You twist this around to make it look like Rey M has been a monster. If he was so good we wouldn't have cut his snaps down so much or cut him this year.

This defense since 2009 has had the PRIMES of Leon Hall, Jonathan Joesph, Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Adam Jones, Reggie Nelson, George Illoka, Terrence Newman.

This team since 2009 has had AMAZING players. And CONSISTENTLY Rey has done nothing more than rack up a lot of tackles in a 3-4 year span when we played him damn near the whole game.

Im not gonna disrespect him like he never made plays or wasn't a good part of those teams but your statement is clearly overdoing it and you freaking know that man. Reggie, Geno, Dunlap and Burfict deserve most the credit for the defense over the last few years. Rey isn't even on the list
Reply/Quote
It's irrefutable.

Rey M was one of the worst linebackers in the game, even his his prime

They never should have re signed two years ago.

See ya later.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 08:37 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: It's irrefutable.

Rey M was one of the worst linebackers in the game, even his his prime

They never should have re signed two years ago.

See ya later.

There is a ton of NFL game tape on Rey M. If you are correct (you stated irrefutable), he will never get paid again to play in the NFL. Now we wait to see if you are correct, or if other NFL teams disagree with you.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 05:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We have the best back up QB for the value at only $750K a year. I would be upset if we did not get at least a 1st round pick for AJ

I guess it depends on the team who needs a QB and what their draft order is.  Cleveland for example:   Cleveland isn't going to give us their #1 or #12 for McCarron, but maybe their second round pick at #33, which is almost like a first rounder, or their second round pick at #52.  I would take that.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 08:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There is a ton of NFL game tape on Rey M. If you are correct (you stated irrefutable), he will never get paid again to play in the NFL. Now we wait to see if you are correct, or if other NFL teams disagree with you.

It's a fact. He was rated the worst starting inside lb in 2012. And was near last in 2013. Both his prime starting years.

He will never see a starting gig again.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 08:43 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I guess it depends on the team who needs a QB and what their draft order is.  Cleveland for example:   Cleveland isn't going to give us their #1 or #12 for McCarron, but maybe their second round pick at #33, which is almost like a first rounder, or their second round pick at #52.  I would take that.

I understand and agree no top 15 pick for AJ, but l would rather keep our underpaid very good insurance policy for AD another year rather than give him away for a 2nd to anyone.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lot of good points here SHRacer. Fisher has been moved around so much it is hard to blame him for not
playing great last year. To finally be put at RT and for him to stay there should help tons. Out of Andre,
Westerman, TJ and Hopkins, one of them should be decent. Like you said, Andre should be a significant
upgrade over Z in the run game.

Westerman was a great pass blocker in college so we might have pretty close to the same player as Z on
this team anyways. So true of Boling, dude is very underrated and i believe was much better than Zeitler
last year even with the injury, especially at run blocking.

Getting a Center like Elflein would help this team immediately i think. He would be too good to leave on
the bench his rookie year. Let Bodine be the backup, he might be good in this role.

Og better be pumping iron, i doubt we draft Cam Robinson but if we draft a guy like Moton, Fisher could
take Og's spot if he continues to struggle strength wise. These guys will improve, we just don't know how
much. We don't know if Whit will fall off this year either and it was the right move to let him go.

The Rams sure paid him good for a 36 year old OT for 3 years.

Hopefully Whit comes back and coaches for us when his time is up.

Whit will never play all three years of that contract.  I will be surprised if he plays two, and I bet the Rams are contending with the Browns and Jets for worst record in the league this year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 06:37 PM)Derrick Wrote: Does anyone honestly think the FO is capable of pulling off a successful strategy like this?... I hope so, but doubt it.

Well, I would counter that they have done a really, really good job keeping this roster with a good balance of vets and young players.  We had two draft picks that could have been big contributors last year, but injuries stole their rookie season.  They had other players ready to fill in.  We lost Eifert for the first half of the season, they had Uzomah ready to step in and he contributed nicely before getting injured himself.  Ditto Sexy stepping in for Gio and Hill.  Great drafting.  

This roster wasn't put together by good luck.

I am really, really excited about 11 picks and AJM just sitting there as bait as well.  This draft will shape this team for years to come.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 08:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There is a ton of NFL game tape on Rey M. If you are correct (you stated irrefutable), he will never get paid again to play in the NFL. Now we wait to see if you are correct, or if other NFL teams disagree with you.

When Maualuga was a free agent 3 years ago or whatever he hardly got a sniff. Like one team gave him a call. You really think they're going to be lining up now ? 

Thanks for your time here Rey and good luck n the future.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 10:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: When Maualuga was a free agent 3 years ago or whatever he hardly got a sniff. Like one team gave him a call. You really think they're going to be lining up now ? 

Thanks for your time here Rey and good luck n the future.

I have not said either way, others are saying no way so we will see if they are correct.

Reply/Quote