Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maualuga Released
(03-27-2017, 06:47 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I disagree.  He's almost at the end of his contract and will not be staying with us anyway.  There is a lot of QB need this year.  This is the year we are going to get something for him.  We got him in the 5th round.  Getting a 2nd for him would be huge.

We may have him through 2018 versus 2017 at the reduced rate as he missed year one so lost a year for his experience. If so, he is not close to the end of his contract, not until this time next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hopefully Burfict has been working his ass off this offseason. Need him in shape this year to really put this D over the top.

agree he seemed heavy last year... but still moved pretty well..

Rey M...  You have been a solid guy here most of your career.  And finally gave marvin a MLB to start multiple seasons in a row.

Good luck where ever you land as long as its outside the afcN
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, it kinda salvaged an otherwise dismal offseason.

Rey was a decent player at one time, and I am grateful for him donning the stripes and being a hustler at one time.  However, he should never have been signed over the vet minimum back in '15 (said as much on the old board), and he showed up grossly out of shape this past season.  Then, you read he has been working his ass off thus far this offseason.  WTF Rey?  Where was that coming into 2016?  It was time to go.

I read somewhere this was his first off season in last 5 years he did not surgery or major recuperation from injury. May have a lot to do with  getting fit quicker.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 09:49 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Rey deserves criticism and so does this team for re-signing him last contract.

Maualuga is another example of coaches not admitting making a mistake and a FO that underachieves at free agency.

There just was no reason to keep him just the same as holding onto underwhelming project players...  which is another thing they tend to do.

he had a solid two years before the resign and was young not old.. so i disagree with being a same old resign.. also had Burfict just being drafted.. it was good to keep a veteran with system with Burfict.. just like people said Peko was done and over the hill... Peko goes signs a extended contract with Denver... i predict Rey will sign with another team also
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 03:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: he had a solid two years before the resign and was young not old.. so i disagree with being a same old resign.. also had Burfict just being drafted.. it was good to keep a veteran with system with Burfict.. just like people said Peko was done and over the hill... Peko goes signs a extended contract with Denver... i predict Rey will sign with another team also

They can have him.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I can't blame Rey for being the type of player he is - not good at coverage or at reading plays but not too bad at straight ahead thumping. It goes back upstairs that our draft strategy tended to give us LBs who could either cover or play the run - not usually both.
Reply/Quote
He was never more than adequate. Impacted very few games or even drives for that matter. He might have played on however many top ten defenses but he was never the reason why. Glad that chapter's over.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 03:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: I can't blame Rey for being the type of player he is - not good at coverage or at reading plays but not too bad at straight ahead thumping. It goes back upstairs that our draft strategy tended to give us LBs who could either cover or play the run - not usually both.

In a perfect world you get the young kid who excels at getting to a spot and hope that he learns the whole IQ thing while in the league. Funny how everyone thinks that all players should have a normal curve of progression when the guys who go from average to elite back to average is very rare in sports. In reality most guys come in below average or average, peak out at solid then fall off a cliff. Some guys never add any parts to their game
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 07:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: Then maybe its time to rethink the blocking schemes and de-emphasize pulling. If our interior line is better suited to drive blocking then drive block - get the pads low and fire off into the defenders and push.

Yeah we got real into that pulling with Gruden at first then Hue did it as well, and the philosophy went to athletic lineman over slow footed clunky ones. But I think Paul Alexander forgot that no matter how fast a guy is if he cant block theres no hope. So now we got about 3-4 undersized athletic lineman on the team that weve wasted high draft picks on because we thought zone blocking was the way to go.

The straight forward style of blocking is what these kids grew up doing so I think itd be smart to go back to that. But then the problem we run into is we have to go back to drafting bigger lineman again. And thatll take a good 3-4 years.
Reply/Quote
While Maualuga isn't a bust by any stretch...he didn't quite live up to the potential he displayed at USC. He looked like he could be a great LB at USC. In the Pros he was just above average.

Same with Taylor Mays on that same defense. Physical talent to be great...and he turned into a below average Pro.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 03:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: he had a solid two years before the resign and was young not old.. so i disagree with being a same old resign.. also had Burfict just being drafted.. it was good to keep a veteran with system with Burfict.. just like people said Peko was done and over the hill... Peko goes signs a extended contract with Denver... i predict Rey will sign with another team also

He only had one presumed suitor except the Bengals before his last signing...  hardly the sign that he was young & talented at his position.

Since that signing, his production and play time were severely reduced.

It was a lazy & low risk signing.  Pretty typical actually.

Rey can sign with another team as well as Peko.  That doesn't change anything. 

They hadn't excelled at their starting positions in quite some time.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 04:21 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He only had one presumed suitor except the Bengals before his last signing...  hardly the sign that he was young & talented at his position.

Since that signing, his production and play time were severely reduced.

It was a lazy & low risk signing.  Pretty typical actually.

Rey can sign with another team as well as Peko.  That doesn't change anything. 

They hadn't excelled at their starting positions in quite some time.

Yeah...I remember a lot of us calling for a guy like Darryl Smith who could cover TE's. Or Curtis Lofton at the time.

Smith was VERY productive for the Ravens for a couple years.

I think Maualuga would have to shed weight and get quicker to be a good LB. I don't know that it's possible though as his body structure isn't really cut and defined. He's more bulky and powerful.
Reply/Quote
this means we are bring back dan skuta.....

j/k
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We may him through 2018 versus 2017 at the reduced rate as he missed year one so lost a year for his experience. If so, he is not close to the end of his contract, nit until this time next year.

I thought even in that case he'd at least be an RFA.  Which means someone could give him an offer we don't want to match.  However, that all confuses me so I'm prob wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 05:17 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I thought even in that case he'd at least be an RFA.  Which means someone could give him an offer we don't want to match.  However, that all confuses me so I'm prob wrong.

He would be unrestricted, but not until after 2018 season, not after 2017 season so huge deal. By the book, he lost a year and Bengals are correct, but he is appealing the rule I believe.I would think we should know the ruling soon. It gives us 1 more year under contract if withheld.

Reply/Quote
10 years ago Rey Maualuga was a good LB in a 4-3. In today's version of the NFL, his inability to cover makes him a niche player. You can't pay a guy $4 million to be a run stuffer at LB. It just doesn't work. His position has essentially been eliminated in the newer version of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Fearless prediction: they resign him next year.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:21 PM)xxlt Wrote: Fearless prediction: they resign him next year.

Or, this year due to injury...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 08:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Or, this year due to injury...

No way.  Haven't you heard?  Someone else will snatch him right up cuz he's played on top ten defenses so that means he must be good.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 08:33 AM)McC Wrote: No way.  Haven't you heard?  Someone else will snatch him right up cuz he's played on top ten defenses so that means he must be good.

Still embarrassed about how wrong you were about Peko, aren't you?

Let it go man.  Something happened that you actually wanted to happen, but you still turn it into somthing to be upset about.

The fact that Rey was good at one time does not mean he is good now.  And the fact that he played on a top ten defense does not mean he was good, but that fact that the brilliant minds that built that perrenial top 10 defense wanted him back seems to indicate that he was better than people lioke you claimed.

It used to be easy for fans to claim they were smarter than the "stupid" Bengal coaches.  But when those coaches build a defense that is top ten pretty much every year you have to start giving them a little respect.  And when Super Bowl winning teams start signing players that people like you claimed would not play for any team that "wanted to win" you also have to step back and consider that you may have been wrong about a player.
Reply/Quote