Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maualuga Released
(03-27-2017, 06:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 10 years ago Rey Maualuga was a good LB in a 4-3.  In today's version of the NFL, his inability to cover makes him a niche player.  You can't pay a guy $4 million to be a run stuffer at LB.  It just doesn't work.  His position has essentially been eliminated in the newer version of the NFL.

The funny thing about the Bengals is I remember Maualuga was supposed to be a 1st Round pick and fell to us. Mays was supposed to be a 1st Round pick and fell to the 49ers. I can think of other examples too.

Generally the league is right when these guys fall.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 09:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Still embarrassed about how wrong you were about Peko, aren't you?

Let it go man.  Something happened that you actually wanted to happen, but you still turn it into somthing to be upset about.

The fact that Rey was good at one time does not mean he is good now.  And the fact that he played on a top ten defense does not mean he was good, but that fact that the brilliant minds that built that perrenial top 10 defense wanted him back seems to indicate that he was better than people lioke you claimed.

It used to be easy for fans to claim they were smarter than the "stupid" Bengal coaches.  But when those coaches build a defense that is top ten pretty much every year you have to start giving them a little respect.  And when Super Bowl winning teams start signing players that people like you claimed would not play for any team that "wanted to win" you also have to step back and consider that you may have been wrong about a player.

We will see how well Peko plays this year in Denver first shall we?

Sounding quite premature here. Just cause the Broncos signed Peko it does not mean it was the right decision...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 01:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see how well Peko plays this year in Denver first shall we?

Sounding quite premature here. Just cause the Broncos signed Peko it does not mean it was the right decision...

What difference is it going to make?  He played well here and many people would never admit it.  So the same thing will happen if he plays well in Denver.  The haters will still say he sucks.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 09:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Still embarrassed about how wrong you were about Peko, aren't you?

Let it go man.  Something happened that you actually wanted to happen, but you still turn it into somthing to be upset about.

The fact that Rey was good at one time does not mean he is good now.  And the fact that he played on a top ten defense does not mean he was good, but that fact that the brilliant minds that built that perrenial top 10 defense wanted him back seems to indicate that he was better than people lioke you claimed.

It used to be easy for fans to claim they were smarter than the "stupid" Bengal coaches.  But when those coaches build a defense that is top ten pretty much every year you have to start giving them a little respect.  And when Super Bowl winning teams start signing players that people like you claimed would not play for any team that "wanted to win" you also have to step back and consider that you may have been wrong about a player.
Just the same can be said of the same coaches that misjudged talent.

Thompson, Still, Hunt all drafted high and haven't done much.

They also didn't know what to do with Rey M. and even MJ for a stretch of time.

Peko, Maualuga, Geathers were meh players that were kept around too long.

To think fans know more than coaches is absurd but the questionable decisions they make can and should be criticized.

They make misjudgments as well though too.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 01:52 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Just the same can be said of the same coaches that misjudged talent.

Thompson, Stills, Hunt all drafted high and haven't done much.

To think fans no more than coaches is absurd but the questionable decisions they make can and should be criticized.

Stop making sense. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 01:52 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Just the same can be said of the same coaches that misjudged talent.

To think fans no more than coaches is absurd but the questionable decisions they make can and should be criticized.

Yes, we all make mistakes including coaches. I give them a lot leeway though because they are hands on in every aspect of player contribution where we just see 1 thing, game day. We have no idea whose playing hurt or even a player's responsibility on any given snap.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

They make misjudgments as well though
This is all true. However, there are people on these boards that shall remain nameless, that think that just because you arent a coach or a scout that you cant learn things by watching. I have been eating , sleeping and dreaming Bengals football for over 35 years and I know when a player is below average. Mauluga and Peko were decent starters for us and good people but like you said, should have been cut years ago
Mike Brown rewards players far too much for being good people. Although that makes him a saint, I would prefer a ruthless owner who wins playoff games.
Reply/Quote

Not wrong about Peko.  He sukked ass last year.

And I give the coaches lots of credit for building a top ten defense with a stiff like Rey in the middle of it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 02:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Stop making sense. 

Don't ever question the "brilliant minds" that run the Cincinnati Bengals.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What difference is it going to make?  He played well here and many people would never admit it.  So the same thing will happen if he plays well in Denver.  The haters will still say he sucks.

I didn't say he sucked in 2015 when he played well. I spoke of how i was pleasantly surprised with his play cause he
seemed to have fell off the year before. Then 16' happened.

He sucked last year and i call it like it is.

If Peko plays well in Denver i will say so. I have been called one of the biggest Peko haters on here, i believe, by you.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Don't ever question the "brilliant minds" that run the Cincinnati Bengals.  Hilarious

All those playoff wins give them tons of credibility.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Don't ever question the "brilliant minds" that run the Cincinnati Bengals.  Hilarious

(03-28-2017, 05:15 PM)McC Wrote: All those playoff wins give them tons of credibility.  

A couple of perfect examples of what i talk about so often.

The bengals defense has ranked in the top 10 in the league in scoring 6 of the last 8 years.  They are consistently one of the best in the league.  But some fans still insist that they are a bunch of morons who don't know what they were doing.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 04:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks are going to have a hard time finding something to bytch about with this one.

Where there is Fred, there is a way......
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He sucked last year and i call it like it is.

You call it like you think it is.

You don't get to define reality with your opinion.

Are you one of those guys who has never liked Peko.  There were a bunch of people like that around here.  they hated on Peko even when he was playing well.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You call it like you think it is.

Are you one of those guys who has never liked Peko.  There were a bunch of people like that around here.  they hated on Peko even when he was playing well.

So how would you rate his performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

The majority of fans rate defensive lineman on their ability to get sacks...so guys like Peko never pass the eye test to them. However, Peko was supposed to occupy defenders and plug holes on the run. He did a decent job of that during his time here.
Reply/Quote
My question is... what percentage of weight did Marvin have in certain players who were involved in our past Defenses?

I would guess it to be rather high. Especially at linebacker.

He seemed to have pushed Burfict on Zimmer who originally wanted no part of him.

Which was good. Low risk / high reward. So kudos for that. Depending how you feel about him of course.

However prior to that hunch, his track record at picking linebackers has been pretty dismal.

Did certain players stick here because Zimmer really desired them, or was it more because Marvin wanted them?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A couple of perfect examples of what i talk about so often.

The bengals defense has ranked in the top 10 in the league in scoring 6 of the last 8 years.  They are consistently one of the best in the league.  But some fans still insist that they are a bunch of morons who don't know what they were doing.

But these defenses are half to blame for all but one of the playoff losses.  2015 was the only time the defense showed up in a playoff game and the defense played a large part in giving that game away.  Let's not forget Peko keeping a touchdown drive alive by running on the field.  A top regular season defense is a good thing.  But bring it in the playoffs more than once and then we'll talk.  

Reply/Quote

It was though.

He had 37 total tackles. 2nd lowest of his career. His lowest was in 2015 where he had 35. However, in 2015 he recorded 5 sacks. A career high.

Peko amassed 0 sacks last year. Created no turnovers.

Peko stuffed the run 3 times last year. For a total of 4 yards.

Margus Hunt also had 3 run stuffs, but for 6 yards.

135 players had more run stuffs than Peko.

Since people seem to love PFF, he ranked near the bottom for defensive tackles since 2013 except for 2015. In 2013 he had the 4th lowest grade, in 2014 he had the 2nd lowest grade, and last year he was ranked near the bottom again. Not sure what number, but he had below a 46 rating.

Fact is, Peko's time was up. You have to move on from players, and Peko had a terrible year that didn't warrant getting him back. We have a young guy in the waits and it's time to see what he can do. No more living in the past, move forward
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 08:10 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: It was though.

He had 37 total tackles. 2nd lowest of his career. His lowest was in 2015 where he had 35. However, in 2015 he recorded 5 sacks. A career high.

Peko amassed 0 sacks last year. Created no turnovers.

Peko stuffed the run 3 times last year. For a total of 4 yards.

Margus Hunt also had 3 run stuffs, but for 6 yards.

135 players had more run stuffs than Peko.

Since people seem to love PFF, he ranked near the bottom for defensive tackles since 2013 except for 2015. In 2013 he had the 4th lowest grade, in 2014 he had the 2nd lowest grade, and last year he was ranked near the bottom again. Not sure what number, but he had below a 46 rating.

Fact is, Peko's time was up. You have to move on from players, and Peko had a terrible year that didn't warrant getting him back. We have a young guy in the waits and it's time to see what he can do. No more living in the past, move forward

It's far better for the team to move away from "well past their prime" players and one draft bust, Margus Hunt, than it is for them to move away from young rising talent who's contracts are up.

It's also far better to keep a solid vet when the youth isn't ready and is blowing chunks all over the field.

Letting Peko, Maualuga and Hunt go were wise decisions. Low balling Zeitler, Whit and Burkhead were not.

Reply/Quote