Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
McAlister: 'And people think Andy is the problem? '
(10-31-2017, 02:19 PM)McC Wrote: It was probably more a matter of hoping against hope, because really, what other choice was there?

Acknowledge the reality and set expectations accordingly, which might also impact how a fan mentally approaches the football season (watching less, caring less, etc)?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A lot of us said before the season started on here Andy won't make it through the season because of the hits he'll take. Maybe the front offices are so stupid they retained McCarron knowing he'll be playing this season because they didn't fix the front line and its a cheaper solution!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 02:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: but some fans (for some stupid reason) had faith/belief that these players would magically improve with more coaching.

Or that the fault was Dalton's.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 02:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Or that the fault was Dalton's.

Good point. Now, Dalton isn't completely off the hook, he still has his limitations and also seems to have developed the yips but that's probably more cause and effect due to this porous OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 12:28 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: It’s almost as if literally everybody knows the line is pig shit except for the only people on the planet who can do anything about it.

In all fairness, what can be done about it now?

And... I completely agree with you.  The only problem is that they had a plan (and a fairly good one) to replace the tackles and it completely backfired.  They had no backup plan.
Reply/Quote
It seems that Mike Brown is not convinced elite O-Line is necessary to win football games. I know some support Paul Alexander but his tenure with the Bengals hasn't been great in developing players. If Alexander plays a major role in selecting rookie O-Line men then he simply does not have an eye for talent.

I know many fans have said this before: "How does Paul Alexander still have a job?" I blame some of the line problems on Mike Brown. It gives the average fan the impression that they could care less about protecting the health of the QB. It is sickening.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 02:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Good point. Now, Dalton isn't completely off the hook, he still has his limitations and also seems to have developed the yips but that's probably more cause and effect due to this porous OL.

I absolutely believe this.....and as you and I have discussed before, he was a pretty damn good QB in 2015, and on into the beginning of 2016....then, yips.

(10-31-2017, 02:34 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It seems that Mike Brown is not convinced elite O-Line is necessary to win football games.  I know some support Paul Alexander but his tenure with the Bengals hasn't been great in developing players.  If Alexander plays a major role in selecting rookie O-Line men then he simply does not have an eye for talent.  

I know many fans have said this before: "How does Paul Alexander still have a job?"  I blame some of the line problems on Mike Brown.  It gives the average fan the impression that they could care less about protecting the health of the QB.  It is sickening.

If Ludwig van Dumbass is still here next season, I'm seriously contemplating throwing in the towel.  Even rats know when to abandon a sinking ship.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
According to Jim, every coach's contract is up after this year.

I don't know about you all, but I can't wait to watch Paul Alexander get evaluated after the disastrous unit he's fielded the last two years and then receive a new contract. You just know it's coming.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Seems to be a common theme with QBs this year. I watched the Monday Night game and all Gruden could talk about is how much Denver's oline is to blame for the QB struggles. I heard a similar theme when Dallas played Washington and how Cousins has no protection or weapons. We sacked the Colt's QB 4 times and applied plenty of pressure.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Watching the vids, all I have to say is:

1)Nice whiff Fisher
2)Zero awareness Bodine
3)See number 2
4)Nice whiff Ced
5)Swing and a miss, strike two Fisher
Reply/Quote
I felt bad for Dalton...its hard to stand in there time after and get wallopped. He could literally get severely injured by this debacle at o line. I will be the first to point it out when he has a poor game BUT...

If you were one of the dirtbags around me Sunday booing him, and screaming obscenities, you're a complete joke, an imbecile, and a piece of trash. Go root for Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 04:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems to be a common theme with QBs this year. I watched the Monday Night game and all Gruden could talk about is how much Denver's oline is to blame for the QB struggles. I heard a similar theme when Dallas played Washington and how Cousins has no protection or weapons. We sacked the Colt's QB 4 times and applied plenty of pressure.

Yeah and despite a down year for blocking, PFF rates our line 31st.

If other lines are "bad", what's that say about ours? Btw, despite the 4 sacks, there was no comparison in the pressure/hits Brisset faced and what Dalton dealt with...and Dalton was still better.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The one where OB didn't even touch the guy, proves that Andy is getting pissed. To his credit he stood in there and still posted a rating 108.8! I think it's time we let Fisher and OB play QB and let Andy and AJ play tackle...
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 04:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The one where OB didn't even touch the guy, proves that Andy is getting pissed. To his credit he stood in there and still posted a rating 108.8! I think it's time we let Fisher and OB play QB and let Andy and AJ play tackle...

Hell no....let Alexander play QB.  He's the asshole that picked these scrubs, and "coaches" them.  

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 04:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell no....let Alexander play QB.  He's the asshole that picked these scrubs, and "coaches" them.  

Even better!!!

I watched these clips again, I don't know why, and came away even more pissed! How the hell do these so called professionals, sleep at night? How can they even look at themselves? They make more money than they are are even worth. It's past being a cluster***k.....
Reply/Quote
Never been a big Dalton guy, but after witnessing our pass protection problems on Sunday, no way I can blame this season on Dalton. Guy is having to elude a rusher before he can even think of looking downfield. I knew Ogbuehi sucked, I didn't realize what a dud Fisher was as well. Bengals almost gotta go OL first 2 draft picks and sign a starter (or 2) via free agency. If not, this team will continue to be a 6-10 to 8-8 team, at best.
Reply/Quote
My favorite part is watching Fisher look around after every play where he didn't lay a hand on anyone, like he expects the ball to have gotten out of the backfield.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 04:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems to be a common theme with QBs this year. I watched the Monday Night game and all Gruden could talk about is how much Denver's oline is to blame for the QB struggles. I heard a similar theme when Dallas played Washington and how Cousins has no protection or weapons. We sacked the Colt's QB 4 times and applied plenty of pressure.

Just curious as to what point you're trying to make? 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 05:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Even better!!!

I watched these clips again, I don't know why, and came away even more pissed! How the hell do these so called professionals, sleep at night? How can they even look at themselves? They make more money than they are are even worth. It's past being a cluster***k.....

I played guard....I would be embarrassed and angry with myself if I let my guy get pounded back there like that.  Hell, I was like that if I got beat a time or two a game.  You can also bet I was taking out legs, and whatever I could do to stop a guy that beat me, and so were my linemates.  There wouldn't be any of this turning around to watch backs take shots.  Get a damn hold, something!

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 05:19 PM)Benton Wrote: My favorite part is watching Fisher look around after every play where he didn't lay a hand on anyone, like he expects the ball to have gotten out of the backfield.

Yep, I don't get it.  Hell, even at pee wee level, we were told "when in doubt, hit some-damn-body wearing the wrong colors".  Shit, you miss your guy, but pick up another, maybe someone (back, TE, another linemen) picks up your whiff and you get another defender coming free.  It's like these guys don't know what's going on out there.

Reply/Quote