Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New NFL consideration for Bills-Bengals game and
Did anyone really expect the NFL to get this right? This sounds heartless but since Buff was unable to continue the game, they should do the right thing and forfeit. Can’t have it both ways.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 08:22 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Did anyone really expect the NFL to get this right? This sounds heartless but since Buff was unable to continue the game, they should do the right thing and forfeit. Can’t have it both ways.

I think the language the league uses early on here is intentional.  They're not saying "declared a no contest," or declared a tie.  "Will not be resumed," means it ended where it left off, 7-3, and they'll probably mention some opportunity that was rejected by the Bills to resume the game.  That's just my best inference, and seems fairest to me given the circumstances.  Glad he's ok.  Today's about Hamlin's recovery.  Tomorrow the consequences are dealt, imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 08:22 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Did anyone really expect the NFL to get this right? This sounds heartless but since Buff was unable to continue the game, they should do the right thing and forfeit. Can’t have it both ways.

The problem is nfl stated it was not going to  continue  game so a forfeit is mute
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 08:11 PM)pally Wrote: The competition committee is voting on the playoff format right now (call started at 6).  Katie Blackburn is in that committee so the Bengals do have someone to advocate for them

If they DO change the playoff format and teams get 'resurrected' from the dead, this would also piss off a lot of people.

Say the 2 teams that made the playoffs were the Jets and Commanders? previously they were eliminated from the playoffs.

Now, say they both make it to the super bowl? That would be a joke.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 08:15 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Yeah I have thoughts. It's total horse sh*t. That was a forfeited game by the Bills. How is the NFL OK with this outcome? It's still a business regardless of what happened. Bills forfeited. Period. 

Im glad to see a non-Bengals fan agree that the Bills should take the L and move on with the season.  We dont know anything yet.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 08:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The problem is nfl stated it was not going to  continue  game so a forfeit is mute

That does not mean a forfeit is mute, they have been talking with the Bills, all we know is the game will not be replayed.  We haven't been given the reason why yet.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 07:50 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I am not happy about the way they fixed it. They got to beat us and that aint happening we are about to roll thru these teams all the way.

It is a no contest. Just read it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-reportedly-makes-final-decision-on-bills-bengals-game/ar-AA161opF?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d889fbef0c304fc68696a282e41d03e5

They havent fixed anything yet, all we know is the game wont be replayed.  Perhaps the Bills refused to play it again and take a L?  Very doubtful, all we know is the game wont be replayed, hopefully we hear the the result of the vote tonight... which is NOT binding as the Commissioner can do what he wants.

Reply/Quote

Why should Buffalo take the L? The Bengals also didn’t want to continue the game. Burrow and the captains talked to Taylor and then talked to Bills captains and they said they also didn’t want to play. It wasn’t just on the Bills. If the Bengals said hey we want to play, and Buffalo said no, then I would agree. But that’s not how it went down. Which is why Taylor is getting all the praise right now for handling things the right way.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: They havent fixed anything yet, all we know is the game wont be replayed.  Perhaps the Bills refused to play it again and take a L?  Very doubtful, all we know is the game wont be replayed, hopefully we hear the the result of the vote tonight... which is NOT binding as the Commissioner can do what he wants.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-bills-reportedly-declared-no-contest-which-means-cincinnati-wins-afc-north/ar-AA1614n0?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4197dca905de4d9697c90f861c25ad43

Sorry other link was wrong one.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:09 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-bills-reportedly-declared-no-contest-which-means-cincinnati-wins-afc-north/ar-AA1614n0?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4197dca905de4d9697c90f861c25ad43

Sorry other link was wrong one.

That is just the decision to not play the game - we have known this and are still waiting the outcome, which the rules committee is voting on tonight.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:08 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Why should Buffalo take the L? The Bengals also didn’t want to continue the game. Burrow and the captains talked to Taylor and then talked to Bills captains and they said they also didn’t want to play. It wasn’t just on the Bills. If the Bengals said hey we want to play, and Buffalo said no, then I would agree. But that’s not how it went down. Which is why Taylor is getting all the praise right now for handling things the right way.

Actually, Zac went across the field to the Bills coach who told him they could not continue, what did you expect the Bengals to do?  At that same time our players were stretching and Burrow was throwing warming up.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Actually, Zac went across the field to the Bills coach who told him they could not continue, what did you expect the Bengals to do?  At that same time our players were stretching and Burrow was throwing warming up.

In Zac press conference he did not state that, he stated Mcdermott saying he needed to be with his player..  and again the NFL suspended the game, that has come out officially... the office said getting in touch with the teams to inform them to suspend the game, my gut is the players on both teams did not want to play but in the end it was a mute point since NFL had already decided game was going to be suspended
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:02 PM)casear2727 Wrote: That does not mean a forfeit is mute, they have been talking with the Bills, all we know is the game will not be replayed.  We haven't been given the reason why yet.

but the idea of forfeit when the actual NFL suspends game just defies logic.... a no contest does not... 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: In Zac press conference he did not state that, he stated Mcdermott saying he needed to be with his player..  and again the NFL suspended the game, that has come out officially... the office said getting in touch with the teams to inform them to suspend the game, my gut is the players on both teams did not want to play but in the end it was a mute point since NFL had already decided game was going to be suspended

This is stupid.  If the Bills coach said we can still play do you think Zac would have said no we can't...?   The NFL had not suspended the game at that point. As Burrow said the Bengals were going to do whatever the Bills wanted.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: but the idea of forfeit when the actual NFL suspends game just defies logic.... a no contest does not... 

The NFL suspended play.  The game could have continued at a later date.  All we truly know right now is that game will not be played.  Where is the official ruling the game is considered a no contest?

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:08 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The NFL suspended play.  The game could have continued at a later date.  All we truly know right now is that game will not be played.  Where is the official ruling the game is considered a no contest?

Do we know the game will not be played? I haven't heard one official word from the league. The latest I saw was the Ravens were hoping the Bengals-Bills game would be played.

it is almost the weekend and the NFL has made no official statement on whether or not the "postponed" game will eventually be played or cancelled.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: Do we know the game will not be played? I haven't heard one official word from the league. The latest I saw was the Ravens were hoping the Bengals-Bills game would be played.

it is almost the weekend and the NFL has made no official statement on whether or not the "postponed" game will eventually be played or cancelled.

There have been numerous reputable sources saying that game will not be finished. If you consider the NFL to be the only reputable source, then no, we don’t have word yet.
Reply/Quote
A forfeit is the legitimate decision if the league offered Buffalo an opportunity to resume the game and they declined. I hate the idea of a forfeit. The Bengals have a legit shot to go on a Super Bowl run. I want no asterisks or what ifs. The game should be resumed next week.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:32 PM)samhain Wrote: A forfeit is the legitimate decision if the league offered Buffalo an opportunity to resume the game and they declined.  I hate the idea of a forfeit.  The Bengals have a legit shot to go on a Super Bowl run.  I want no asterisks or what ifs.  The game should be resumed next week.

The game isn't being played and if it was played next week the playoff opponents of the Bills and Bengals would have 2 weeks to prepare and if we beat the Bills the Chiefs would get 3 weeks.  Not to mention cancelling Pro Bowl week is a big deal.  Bills could make this easy by offering the L.

Reply/Quote
Thing that threw me off is the Bills all flew back home that night. It's not even like they stuck around. They flew home and made it impossible to even consider playing the game Tuesday or Wednesday.

It really comes down to... do we want to move 32 teams schedules around, or revamp the entire postseason, or make some weird shit happen with different length seasons for different teams.... or do we just want to say "sorry Bills, you flew home, we fully understand, but you still gotta take an L".. and then just move on with the normal season for 31 teams?

Seems like the NFL is resisting the move because it makes them look like the bad guys on social media for making the Bills forfeit, but it's the easiest, simplest, most logical, and least damaging solution to put this season back on it's rightful tracks before the postseason.

Meanwhile the Bengals have played 9 road games and 6 home games this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote