Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newt wants to deport Americans who practice Islam
(07-20-2016, 04:49 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote:  Islam hasn't experienced a single period of critical evaluation in its history.  

Wow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-20-2016, 05:45 PM)Benton Wrote: Wow.

Please name it. When have they critically scrutinized or evaluated their own religion?

Was it when the Caliphate was out wrecking shit?

Or maybe it was when they were committing genocide against the Armenians, something they still deny to this day.
(07-20-2016, 05:55 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Please name it. When have they critically scrutinized or evaluated their own religion?

Was it when the Caliphate was out wrecking shit?

Or maybe it was when they were committing genocide against the Armenians, something they still deny to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Muslims

That's a decent place to start before discussing. Every major religion faces a heavy amount of persecution, scrutiny and observation. Sometimes that leads to nothing at all, sometimes it leads to a larger number of adherents, sometimes change and sometimes it leads to violence. With Muslims, many times it's been violence. Sometimes by their doing or, as with the link above, done to them. Or to themselves.

Just by the sheer number of Muslims and the countries they practice in, they're going to have plenty of people scrutinizing things.
(07-20-2016, 06:03 PM)Benton Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Muslims

That's a decent place to start before discussing. Every major religion faces a heavy amount of persecution, scrutiny and observation. Sometimes that leads to nothing at all, sometimes it leads to a larger number of adherents, sometimes change and sometimes it leads to violence. With Muslims, many times it's been violence. Sometimes by their doing or, as with the link above, done to them. Or to themselves.

Just by the sheer number of Muslims and the countries they practice in, they're going to have plenty of people scrutinizing things.

I'm not going to read a broad and vague source to find your point for you.

Religious zealots criticizing one another in a religious lense isn't critical self evaluation.

The enlightenment; liberalism etc; where is the Islamic equivalent?
(07-20-2016, 06:07 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I'm not going to read a broad and vague source to find your point for you.

Religious zealots criticizing one another in a religious lense isn't critical self evaluation.

The enlightenment; liberalism etc; where is the Islamic equivalent?
LOL

I'll just leave this one alone. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

ThumbsUp
(07-20-2016, 06:25 PM)Benton Wrote: LOL

I'll just leave this one alone. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

ThumbsUp

Where's the confusion? The second sentence addressed..

"Just by the sheer number of Muslims and the countries they practice in, they're going to have plenty of people scrutinizing things."
The Enlightenment:

The Enlightenment (also known as the Age of Enlightenment;[1] in French: le Siècle des Lumières, lit. 'the Century of Lights'; and in German: Aufklärung, 'Enlightenment')[2] was a philosophical movement which dominated the world of ideas in Europe in the 18th century. The Enlightenment included a range of ideas centered on reason as the primary source of authority and legitimacy, and came to advance ideals such as liberty, progress, tolerance, fraternity, constitutional government, and separation of church and state.[3][4] In France, the central doctrines of les Lumières were individual liberty and religious tolerance in opposition to an absolute monarchy and the fixed dogmas of the Roman Catholic Church.[5] The Enlightenment was marked by an emphasis on the scientific method and reductionism along with increased questioning of religious orthodoxy.[6]

I asked when Islam experienced a similar period.
(07-20-2016, 06:32 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Where's the confusion? The second sentence addressed..

"Just by the sheer number of Muslims and the countries they practice in, they're going to have plenty of people scrutinizing things."
The Enlightenment:

The Enlightenment (also known as the Age of Enlightenment;[1] in French: le Siècle des Lumières, lit. 'the Century of Lights'; and in German: Aufklärung, 'Enlightenment')[2] was a philosophical movement which dominated the world of ideas in Europe in the 18th century. The Enlightenment included a range of ideas centered on reason as the primary source of authority and legitimacy, and came to advance ideals such as liberty, progress, tolerance, fraternity, constitutional government, and separation of church and state.[3][4] In France, the central doctrines of les Lumières were individual liberty and religious tolerance in opposition to an absolute monarchy and the fixed dogmas of the Roman Catholic Church.[5] The Enlightenment was marked by an emphasis on the scientific method and reductionism along with increased questioning of religious orthodoxy.[6]

I asked when Islam experienced a similar period.

The Islamic Golden Age refers to a period in the history of Islam, traditionally dated from the 8th century to the 13th century, during which much of the historically Islamic world was ruled by various caliphates and science, economic development and cultural works flourished.[1][2][3] This period is traditionally understood to have begun during the reign of the Abbasid caliph Harun al-Rashid (786 to 809) with the inauguration of the House of Wisdom in Baghdad, where scholars from various parts of the world with different cultural backgrounds were mandated to gather and translate all of the world's classical knowledge into the Arabic language.[4][5] This period is traditionally said to have ended with the collapse of the Abbasid caliphate due to Mongol invasions and the Sack of Baghdad in 1258 AD.[6] A few contemporary scholars place the end of the Islamic Golden Age as late as the end of 15th to 16th centuries.[1][2][3]

But that's still off (as far off as the age of enlightenment is as well) from the original statement that Islam had not been scrutinized. Which is why I said I was just going to leave this alone as I'm not sure where you're going with it. It seems two different directions.
(07-20-2016, 07:36 PM)Benton Wrote: The Islamic Golden Age refers to a period in the history of Islam, traditionally dated from the 8th century to the 13th century, during which much of the historically Islamic world was ruled by various caliphates and science, economic development and cultural works flourished.[1][2][3] This period is traditionally understood to have begun during the reign of the Abbasid caliph Harun al-Rashid (786 to 809) with the inauguration of the House of Wisdom in Baghdad, where scholars from various parts of the world with different cultural backgrounds were mandated to gather and translate all of the world's classical knowledge into the Arabic language.[4][5] This period is traditionally said to have ended with the collapse of the Abbasid caliphate due to Mongol invasions and the Sack of Baghdad in 1258 AD.[6] A few contemporary scholars place the end of the Islamic Golden Age as late as the end of 15th to 16th centuries.[1][2][3]

Where's the increased scrutiny towards Islamic Orthodoxy in this?

From what I can tell, you just cited a period where sciences and culture flourished under Islam, not a period where science and culture heavily scrutinized it.